PDA

View Full Version : Advice for other AR essentials.

EVGRambis
12-21-2012, 3:16 PM
So I was lucky enough to purchase a single stripped lower from a LGS before all this craziness started. Got it for pre-inflated price and only a couple more days left in my 10 day hibernation. I'm not even going to try to get anything as far as parts, kits and assemblies right now for the build. This is going to be my first AR (but not first firearm). So basically once I am able to pick up my stripped lower all I will have as far as anything AR related will be... the stripped lower.

So I would like to go ahead and start purchasing all tools, cleaning kits and any building tools and accessories I will need to build, disassemble, maintain and clean everything on an AR type rifle. Please recommend anything and everything I will need based on your experience. Thanks all!!

JNunez23
12-21-2012, 3:24 PM
I would wait on all the cleaning kits and things like that. If I were you, I would be trying to get the "harder to get" parts now. I mean, within reason. NOTHING over priced..

Get a LPK now that they're in stock and still normally priced, that way you can at least get the lower completed.

shooting4life
12-21-2012, 3:27 PM
I have 3 unbuilt lowers. They will stay that way for at least 6 months, ill try and build them with all the panic buyers selling this stuff the bought this last week.

EVGRambis
12-21-2012, 3:47 PM
I would wait on all the cleaning kits and things like that. If I were you, I would be trying to get the "harder to get" parts now. I mean, within reason. NOTHING over priced..

Get a LPK now that they're in stock and still normally priced, that way you can at least get the lower completed.

To be honest I am focusing to at least getting parts/kits to complete the lower but as you know it is a frenzy out there and I don't want any part of it. :) I can wait a few weeks. If the frenzy continues till the end of January I will hit up my circle of friends who have already offered to loan me an extra BCG and any other parts/assemblies to complete my rifle but that is not the path I want to take. If it becomes a necessity then so be it I'll build it with loaner parts!!

So what do you have if I may ask in regards to tools and such?

JNunez23
12-21-2012, 10:51 PM
To be honest I am focusing to at least getting parts/kits to complete the lower but as you know it is a frenzy out there and I don't want any part of it. :) I can wait a few weeks. If the frenzy continues till the end of January I will hit up my circle of friends who have already offered to loan me an extra BCG and any other parts/assemblies to complete my rifle but that is not the path I want to take. If it becomes a necessity then so be it I'll build it with loaner parts!!

So what do you have if I may ask in regards to tools and such?

To build a lower you mean??

kenjimatic
12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
It all depends on what you're trying to do. All you really need is a punch set and a vice. An AR wrench is good for the castle nut, muzzle brake, delta ring. It'll make life much easier if you have a vice block. If you plan on removing or putting on a standard A2 sight the front sight bench block helps. Like I mentioned earlier it all depends on what you are trying to do.

Blind
12-22-2012, 1:10 PM
Take a look at an assembly guide and you'll see if you need to purchase any tools or not.

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

The only thing special I used for building my lower was a set of ar15 roll pin starter punches and ar15 multi tool wrench for the buttstock assembly, I purchased both very cheap from amazon.

JNunez23
12-22-2012, 4:28 PM
What Kenjimatic said: those are the true basics for the lower build.

daybreak
12-22-2012, 4:36 PM
It would be a mistake to wait too long. If you can secure a LPK and a BCG for normal price, I would snag it.

BillyGoatMachine
12-22-2012, 4:54 PM
Op, go to every single vendors website and buy every single piece you can find under ar parts that's still in stock:rolleyes:

Your going to need EVERYTHING:facepalm:

Do most of you even realize that 99% of the people participating in the panic buys will probably shoot their rifle once, much less actually use them enough to warrant having spare parts.

EVGRambis
12-22-2012, 5:12 PM
Thank you Blind! Nice guide to get me started!! Basically I want all the tools necessary to be able to build a complete AR rifle from from scratch/parts.

So far I have this on my list to order:

- lower receiver vice block
- upper receiver vice block
- roll pin punch set
- AR combo wrench

Thank you for feedback so far guys!

SocomM4
12-22-2012, 6:25 PM
Strong tape is nice to have.

A good non marking craft hammer .

Something to grease the roll pins.

A wood block.