PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Brothers sold me a free lock

grumpy562
08-08-2007, 5:48 PM
Did a PPT 10 days later, I go to Ammo Brothers to pick up my handgun and had to buy a lock to meet the federal requirement. The handgun came with a lock but was told since I didn't have a receipt i was going to have to buy one. So I said okay, paid and put the lock in the case. When I get home I look at the lock and it says not for resale. Its a lock from Project Child Safe www.projectchildsafe.org which gives free gun locks away to anyone. So I contacted project child safe to see if anyone is suppose to sell their locks since its printed on the lock "not for resale" and they said no they are free. Next I called Ammo Brothers and told them they sold me a lock that was suppose to be free and all they said was come in and we'll exchange it. They should be giving me another lock since Project Child Safe locks are free shouldn't they. Anyways just sharing my story to let everyone know watchout for the bright yellow locks incase you have to buy one from them. Oh and don't forget to read the bottom of your receipts "ALL SALES ARE FINAL". So much for returning it.

The SoCal Gunner
08-08-2007, 5:59 PM
Sounds shady to me.

VeryCoolCat
08-08-2007, 6:08 PM
That does sound a little shady. How much you pay for it? Around $15? I've never been to a gunshop that didn't charge less than $10 for a lock. Except this one store I called in and they were overpriced but had a cheap $7 cable lock.

I don't think they can give you that lock as the requirement for the sale though.

grumpy562
08-08-2007, 6:13 PM
The lock cost me $6. on the receipt its described as a "GUN CABLE LOCK DOJ APPROVED". So does that mean that if you order one from Project Child Safe and you get a receipt your good to go?

donger
08-08-2007, 6:21 PM
Dude it was $6.

cornholio1
08-08-2007, 6:22 PM
Dude it was $6.

That will buy you lunch @ most places

Carbide
08-08-2007, 6:24 PM
I got absent minded at Ade's and left without my lock that I paid for 10 days prior. It happens.

socalguns
08-08-2007, 6:55 PM
The lock is already bought and paid for with our tax money, so shush

T-Bear
08-08-2007, 7:12 PM
Yeap that is why I stop going there, shady people work there. Trying to make a buck off our tax money.

thedrickel
08-08-2007, 7:15 PM
Those locks aren't even DOJ approved.

GTKrockeTT
08-08-2007, 7:23 PM
Turners does a similar thing. The last 3 handguns I've purchased from them...they charge me for a lock, and try to send me on my way without actually giving it to me. Once, fine, you forgot. Twice, fine, coincidence. Thrice, sounds like an unwritten policy.

locktime
08-08-2007, 7:25 PM
The whole lock thing is a joke.

I had to buy one for a PPT at Pasadena Turners. I was back for another PPT a few weeks later, and I brought my lock and my receipt. They said I had to buy another one because it was more than 30 days.

If you want to give Ammo Bros. grief, find something else besides these moronic locks.

The Bacon Eater
08-08-2007, 7:27 PM
I was there last weekend and saw the AZEX Romy built ak's there with a price tag on them for $799 (C.W.S. sells them for $650) that let me know to never buy a gun from them.

The SoCal Gunner
08-08-2007, 7:40 PM
If you want to give Ammo Bros. grief, find something else besides these moronic locks.

So this should only bother people when they rip you off for high dollar items?

PIRATE14
08-08-2007, 7:49 PM
Sounds like good business sense to me, get free locks and sell them for 6 bucks.......or buy the locks for 6 and sell for 15.......hhhhmmm

It's been a week since or last lock rip off thread,,,,,,,,:eek:

///D
08-08-2007, 8:00 PM

How's this one...I put in a phone order for shipment last Thursday and it never showed up. Called them, and nobody knew anything about it...strange seeing it took the salesmen forever to write down my info.

Speaking of taking info, giving my address and CC info over the phone seems to be a major challenge. I couldn't say more than 2 digits or spell out 2 letters at a time before they stop me, tell me to hold on, and ask that I repeat myself.

PistolPete75
08-08-2007, 8:25 PM
i have an issue with ammo brothers at this minute also. i bought two bipod adapters that broke on me with less than 50 rounds on each of them. i returned the items to them for a refund, since they told me they wouldn't break on me. i've been waiting for 4 weeks for the refund, and called them numerous times to get the refund back. there is always an excuse. finally, i asked them to just give me some other merchandise instead of the cash. hopefully it will come by next week. that was the first, and last purchase at ammo brothers for me.

tenpercentfirearms
08-08-2007, 8:51 PM
I just got a hold of some of those free locks and I have been giving them away with guns. The ones I have are most certainly on the list and it wouldn't make any sense for a police department to give away a lock not on the approved list. Or maybe it is it wouldn't make any sense for the cops to give away unapproved locks so they got approved.

Now, is there some law against selling a lock that says, "Not for retail sale"? Probably not. You should probably not buy one in that case, but if you do, that is on you.

I kind of size up the customer since I still have some locks I bought. If I think they can afford it and they have to have one, I sell them a lock. If they are buying a lot or I like them, I give them one of the free ones I got a hold of.

Recently I came up with the idea that my customers should do a trade. I will never let a guy bring in a lock without a receipt and take that one out with him. However, there I see nothing wrong with a guy brining in a lock and giving it to me and me giving him a different lock for his gun purchase.

I need to get with our local police sergeant and get some more free locks this week when I talk to him about our hi-cap project.

AJAX22
08-08-2007, 9:56 PM
I always thought a sack of donated 1$ or heck even 5 cent locks (with purchase or transfer of firearm) would be a good idea. you could always have a bin next to the door where people could chuck donate them back if they chose to.

If anyone wants project childsafe locks the San Luis Obispo PD always has a giant box of them in the waiting area and they don't care how many you take

the part of the project childsafe lock that states 'not for resale' is actually removable (just a plastic coating on it)

tenpercentfirearms
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
If anyone wants project childsafe locks the San Luis Obispo PD always has a giant box of them in the waiting area and they don't care how many you take

I should go take the whole box.

I don't think it is a good idea to leave your lock at the gun shop. You are supposed to be taking it with you. That is why I like the idea of brining a different lock in and taking a "new" lock with you.

If I am supposed to give a guy a lock, I want him to leave with it so it covers my rear.

Prc329
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
N/m

PLINK
08-08-2007, 11:27 PM
You should get a CA DOJ approved safe so you don't have to buy a lock.

tenpercentfirearms
08-08-2007, 11:35 PM
You should get a CA DOJ approved safe so you don't have to buy a lock.

Damn you Plink. Read the thread more carefully. He bought a handgun. Damn NOOB behavior of you. :p

Ok, I need to go to bed now.

Spiggy
08-09-2007, 1:12 AM
those cable locks are too easy to break into. I saw a guy giving them away at a military toy expo so I took the whole box of 30 or so.

:D dont have many left, I've been giving them away left and right since

Pryde
08-09-2007, 2:45 AM
Ammo Bros? Shady?

Nah............................:rolleyes:

aplinker
08-09-2007, 3:45 AM
Just take it back and get your money.

I don't think it's cool at all to take property from a gov't program and resell it. That doesn't feel right to me.

The whole idea of gun shops making so much money off of locks they can go to Jamaica is stupid. Or maybe it was cross-country trips to firearms factories... how does that go? ;)

Selling a free lock is shady. Complaining over $6 is silly.

AJAX22
08-09-2007, 5:58 AM
I should go take the whole box.

I don't think it is a good idea to leave your lock at the gun shop. You are supposed to be taking it with you. That is why I like the idea of brining a different lock in and taking a "new" lock with you.

If I am supposed to give a guy a lock, I want him to leave with it so it covers my rear.

Next time I'm in SLO I'll snag them for you, or I'll get a buddy to snag them and hold them for me.

Johnny Diablo
08-09-2007, 6:22 AM
How much money does a gun shop make in a day and I am not talking about Turners?

Yeh I got a simialr lock from another shop and the whole idea came to mind. So I bought someone lunch who keeps the obsession alive.... big deal.

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2007, 7:32 AM
I certianly understand the poster's complaint. I don't think he is so upset by the money as the principle of the matter. If you treat your customers right, they will keep coming back. I would never sell someone something that says "free" on it or some similar wording.

This isn't a case of someone being cheap or complaining about the lock law, so lets not make it into that. Ammo Bros could easily raise the price of their guns $5 and give away this lock and it would never be an issue.

mblat
08-09-2007, 7:47 AM
Ammo Bros? Shady?

Nah............................:rolleyes:

Big +1. I understand that FFL is difficult and not particularly rewarding (money-wise) business, but they didn't treat me right at all. They close to me, but as G.d is my witness I rather drive to Taft.....

grumpy562
08-09-2007, 8:05 AM
Well the propose of me posting about the lock was not to complain about the money or bash Ammo Brothers. But as 10% said more on the principle of selling something that is not for resale. It shows fraud and dishonesty to the customers as well as to the people from Project Child Safe. It's not like I personally picked that lock out. I was going for the locks on the rack when the guy at the counter said wait I have cheaper locks for sale and pulls it out from behind the counter. So I just want everyone to be careful with what they buy there.

proraptor
08-09-2007, 8:33 AM
wow....this is ridiculous....after ammo bros disrespected me by asking my girlfriend if they could take her pic and put it on their sleezy website now this....I won't be shopping there anytime soon....those guys are unprofessional pigs

MrLogan
08-09-2007, 8:40 AM
wow....this is ridiculous....after ammo bros disrespected me by asking my girlfriend if they could take her pic and put it on their sleezy website now this....I won't be shopping there anytime soon....those guys are unprofessional pigs

Wow, that is just sleazy. They actually asked to take a picture of your girlfriend to use on their website?

I've been to AmmoBros many time, bought a few lowers there and have referred friends to purchase firearms there. I had no idea they were doing shady things like this.

It's the not the $6, it's the fact that they have FREE locks that are clearly marked NOT FOR RESALE, and then selling them anyway.

I definitely have reservations about ever going back there again. If they post on these boards, they need to give their side of this; because right now, this just stinks. :mad:

1064chubbs
08-09-2007, 9:32 AM

That is shady bro....No one should be disrespecting you or your girlfriend like that. And I know what you mean I was there a couple of times once to DROS another for the pick up and one time they were talking to I guess a friend it was something like "man those bit***s in Israel are so damn hot when they carry a FA Uzi I just want to grab them and f*** them" and the guys response was "f*** yeah I know what you mean" now personally I really dont care if they talk like that in front of me but they could be just a bit more professional.:cool:

PLINK
08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Damn you Plink. Read the thread more carefully. He bought a handgun. Damn NOOB behavior of you. :p

Ok, I need to go to bed now.

I did not know you still need to buy a lock for a HG even if you have an approved DOJ safe.

I take back my Noob reply.

GUN FREAK
08-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Wow! :icon_bs:

ocabj
08-09-2007, 1:02 PM
Dude it was $6.

It's not a question of it being only $6. It's the fact that Ammo Bros resold something that is being given away for free.

This is almost as bad as the guy at the gas station that was buying Girl Scout cookies and reselling them in his store for $5 more a box.

kilword
08-09-2007, 1:09 PM
yea one time I went to sports authority and the projectchildsafe truck was there and had a table from end to end covered with those locks.
I asked how many can I have? "he said how many you need?" and smiled
then said take however many you want. I grabbed around 15-20 he then asked do you need any more? I ask "not many people taking these today?" he said nope. He had thousands of them in the giant truck.

STAGE 2
08-09-2007, 2:19 PM
I stopped in there once, and won't ever go back. I refuse to shop somewhere that has a large number of shelves with fake swords, spears and other stupid non-functional stuff that only a 12 year old would think was cool.

Kruzr
08-09-2007, 3:15 PM
I tried it once. I told one of the "brothers" I wanted 5000, .38 cal. 158 gr. FP or SWC bullets. He showed me ammo. I explained the difference between a bullet and loaded ammo. He seemed annoyed. They had one box of 500, which I bought. I can't think of any reason to go back.

Inoxmark
08-09-2007, 3:20 PM
The ones I have are most certainly on the list and it wouldn't make any sense for a police department to give away a lock not on the approved list. Or maybe it is it wouldn't make any sense for the cops to give away unapproved locks so they got approved.

These locks must be of tested or approved variety even to be legally given away:

PC 12088.15. (a) No person shall keep for commercial sale, offer, or
expose for commercial sale, or commercially sell any firearms safety
device that is not listed on the roster maintained pursuant to
subdivision (d) of Section 12088, or that does not comply with the
standards for firearms safety devices adopted pursuant to Section
(b) No person may distribute as part of an organized firearm
safety program, with or without consideration, any firearm safety
subdivision (d) of Section 12088 or does not comply with the

Kruzr
08-09-2007, 3:25 PM
These locks must be of tested or approved variety even to be legally given away:

PC 12088.15. (a) No person shall keep for commercial sale, offer, or
expose for commercial sale, or commercially sell any firearms safety
subdivision (d) of Section 12088, or that does not comply with the
(b) No person may distribute as part of an organized firearm
safety program, with or without consideration, any firearm safety
subdivision (d) of Section 12088 or does not comply with the

Once again, this is a conflict between Federal and State law. The state requires that the locks be approved by their testing program. The Feds, who are the reason you must now buy a lock rather than sign a safe affadavit, say an ASTM lock is good.

As I recall, when we had boxes of the Child Safe locks at the range, they could not be used for a new gun purchase since they weren't recognized by the state as an approved lock.

FWIW, Project Childsafe's website says they haves lost their federal funding and when the locks they have are gone............they are gone. They are not distributing to new organizations and say get yours from their "partner" law enforcement offices.

accordingtoome
08-09-2007, 4:21 PM
that sucks.. should have charged you like $2 or something..

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2007, 5:28 PM
I know the locks I am giving away are on the list, or I wouldn't be giving them away.

Search results for: 8/9/2007

Device Make: Project ChildSafe
Device Model: GL710-NSSF Taiwan R.O.C.
Text Description: Auto-loading rifles, bolt action rifles, pump action shotguns, semiautomatic shotguns, double action revolvers, single action revolvers, auto loading pistols, single shot rifles, single shot shotguns, and single shot pistols, with barrels, chambers and/or openings large enough to accept a 0.265 inch cable.

No firearms have been certified for this device.

glk-21
08-09-2007, 7:23 PM
I was at the orange county show about a six months ago and saw one of the "ammo bros" buying ammo from Mill wal in such large amount it would leed me to think they were going to sell the ammo at there booth. Also was told by a trusted associate that they were buying ammo from a major national retailer and putting the ammo on there shelf.

ColdSteel
08-09-2007, 7:47 PM
Their reloads are very iffy.. Bought a bunch of .40 from them about a year ago and the velocities vary quite a bit, to the extent that the difference in recoil is noticeable. That was back then when they has a big dillon and a bunch of equipment in the back. They sure were proud that their brass was shiny tho..

ivanimal
08-09-2007, 7:51 PM
I was told I needed a dated reciept within 30 days for a CA approved lock before I could pick up my gun in a Sacramento shop. To be in compliance I sold myself a lock and brought it, and a signed reciept dated that day with me. The clerk told me that was no good, I must buy their lock. I asked to see the written law. He got the manager over, he looked at the reciept the 2 rifles I had picked out of the used rifle rack and said take the reciept it looks good. I dont think he wanted a 5 dollar lock sale to turn me away. I wish more vendors would think it through to the end. We buy a lot of stuff, they should want us back and not searching the internet.

Roo
08-09-2007, 9:23 PM
After all this I may not be going to Ammo Bros. this weekend to buy ammo...

GUN FREAK
08-10-2007, 3:12 PM
I hope they make it right.

tenpercentfirearms
08-10-2007, 4:13 PM
I just picked up all 400 some odd Project Childsafe locks they had at the Taft Police Department this afternoon! Free gun locks for everyone at Ten Percent Firearms!

However, the keys cost $20.

Paratus et Vigilans
08-10-2007, 4:23 PM
I just picked up all 400 some odd Project Childsafe locks they had at the Taft Police Department this afternoon! Free gun locks for everyone at Ten Percent Firearms!

However, the keys cost $20.

Wes, you're like Bill O'Reilly - lookin' out for us! :D

ColdSteel
08-10-2007, 4:37 PM
How come someone from Ammobros hasn't posted anything here yet? I know they read the boards.

T-Bear
08-10-2007, 5:11 PM
There still thinking of another reason why they sold a FREE GUN LOCK in the first place to make a couple of bucks.

Wild Bill
08-10-2007, 8:08 PM
Well since it seems that most of you are trashing Ammo Bros. . I guess I will put in a couple of good words for them. I have been in their shop a handful of times and was treated GREAT. They always have given me the best service and fair prices on most of everything that I have bought. Anyway a +1 for Ammo Brothers!!!:D

:36:

T-Bear
08-10-2007, 8:25 PM
I think majority of people here are bashing on there service. But rather there shady business. Charging for free gun locks, trying to sell brass that has been reloaded a number times and advertising it as once fired for sale, telling me I am breaking the law by storing 8lbs of powder and that it is illegal for buying 8lb jugs of powder.
They treat you great but try to make a shady buck on the side.

PIRATE14
08-10-2007, 9:10 PM
The Ammo Bros are good dudes......they are new FFL dealers so they probably just ****ed up.........they'll set it straight......;)

GUN FREAK
08-11-2007, 12:47 PM
The Ammo Bros are good dudes......they are new FFL dealers so they probably just ****ed up.........they'll set it straight......;)

I hope they make it right. :chris:

MrLogan
08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I hope they make it right. :chris:

I hope so too. I've bought plenty of things from them before. I hope they get on here and explain what happened.

HillBilly
08-12-2007, 8:50 AM
I personally have bought probably 2K or more worth of merchandise (ammo, lowers, etc) from them. I will never step foot in their store again unless they come up with a very good explaination for this.

It is about honesty. Even Turners has yet to stoop to the level of selling gov't freebee's. The last thing I want is feeling like I am in a car dealership when I buy a firearm.:mad:

T-Bear
08-14-2007, 4:50 PM
Just an update to this problem. I sent an email with this link to AB on the 10th.NO respone to me or the members of calguns.net. I will give them the end of the week.

Cobrarlc
08-14-2007, 5:27 PM
I am sure that it was a mistake. Bring the lock back and I am sure that they will straighten the issue out.

grumpy562
08-14-2007, 7:26 PM
I am sure that it was a mistake. Bring the lock back and I am sure that they will straighten the issue out.

Take it back???? Ha ha ha :D I guess you missed the part where the locks are FREE. I'm with T-Bear. I want a response on here also because I'm not going to go out of my way for $6. The fact of the matter is that it was a dishonest move on their behalf. Why the secret stash behind the counter? Why aren't the locks on the counter with a free sign? Why did the guy at the counter stop me as I was going for the locks on the rack? So I'll just leave it at that.

fred40
08-14-2007, 7:38 PM
I been to ammo bros a number of times and they are always cool. I wouldnt take my wife though , those guys see guns and men all day... so a pretty female walks in and you know were all men here:drool5:

MrLogan
08-14-2007, 7:56 PM
I personally have bought probably 2K or more worth of merchandise (ammo, lowers, etc) from them. I will never step foot in their store again unless they come up with a very good explaination for this.

It is about honesty. Even Turners has yet to stoop to the level of selling gov't freebee's. The last thing I want is feeling like I am in a car dealership when I buy a firearm.:mad:

Same here. I've bought a few lowers there, ammo, and have referred friends there who ended up buying a couple of firearms and accessories too. With a potential backlash and loss of business, I would think they would come on here to clear the air.

So what's up, guys at AmmoBros? Is this an honest mistake or what? I'm sure everyone here would like to hear your side of this.

ibanezfoo
08-15-2007, 2:23 PM
I been to ammo bros a number of times and they are always cool. I wouldnt take my wife though , those guys see guns and men all day... so a pretty female walks in and you know were all men here:drool5:

Hehe thats true. I took my wife there and they all gave her the "can I help you" Hi! Can I help you" without even acknowledging me (at first), the guy with the money. When we were getting some ammo cases they were very loudly discussing beating people up and how tough they were :rolleyes: Tried to sell me a $200 AK in CA legal form for $600 :sleeping:.

-Bryan

bigredhalf
08-15-2007, 3:47 PM
What happened was we had just ran out of our red gun locks . Our red gun locks are the CL551B that we sell for $5.95. We keep them behind the counter. When a gun lock is used we have to have a receipt within 30 days. A customer gave us some gun locks ,which were the free ones. When the gun lock got rung up , are employee grabed the first lock that he found. He was just doing his job, not knowing that he was not to charge for that lock. This was a honest mistake, We will make it right.
And as for the bottom of the receipt "all sales are final", we stand 100% by are products. If there are problems, you just have to call and talk to me .
We are not shady. We are trying to build a gun store that socal will like to visit. And as for the guy and his girl friend that was approached at the gun show for a free teeshirt .We are sorry for the rude behavor from the guy trying to give her a shirt. We will make sure that it wont happen again.
I sent grumpy562 a private message to contact me. When i hear from him, I will fix the problem.
Thank you for your time.
Ammo Brothers
Dustin Mohacsi
(562) 865-3980

GUN FREAK
08-15-2007, 4:30 PM
Cool!

I Belive It.

MrLogan
08-15-2007, 4:50 PM
Reasonable explanation. I'll buy it. Thanks for coming on here to clear things up!

glk-21
08-15-2007, 6:00 PM
seven days later damage control ..... boy talking about on the ball

fred40
08-15-2007, 7:01 PM

I knew there was some kind of mistake. They are cool people. The wife thing is just a joke:)

tenpercentfirearms
08-15-2007, 7:03 PM
seven days later damage control ..... boy talking about on the ball

LOL. If he is not regularly on this message board, how is he supposed to know his Internet reputation just took a dump unless someone calls him and tells him? Give the guy a break.

PIRATE14
08-15-2007, 7:35 PM
LOL. If he is not regularly on this message board, how is he supposed to know his Internet reputation just took a dump unless someone calls him and tells him? Give the guy a break.

Well you know everyone lives on the internet these days........:rolleyes:

If we don't answer an email on the very day or take a day off......people think we skipped out of town or something......:p

Those AMMO BROS are okay........they stock OLL...AKs...etc and you guys give them **** over a $$$ 6 dollar mistake......you guys gotta lighten up.....;)

T-Bear
08-15-2007, 7:45 PM
It was not such the money but the principal of charging for a free item.

But now we know the outcome and all will be well. Kudos for comming out on the boards and reaching a compromise.

socalguns
08-15-2007, 8:19 PM
Wow, I wouldn't advocate violence like that tenpercentfirearms :) oops, maybe you meant a piece of a kit-kat-bar?

USMCM16A2
08-16-2007, 4:15 PM
Gents,

I have never seen so much noise made about such a nothing problem. I cannot believe the number of Senior members on this site who are acting like a bunch of whining school girls. To start,
Grumpy562- get over it, it was an honest mistake, quit crying about it and fix the situation.
Long Beach- Buy your AZEX Ak from CWS then.
///D- you need to learn to speak more clearly.
Proraptor-The guy that made the indecent proposal to your lady was NOT an Ammo Bros employee, she is also a grown woman.
Stage2-Have you been in the store lately?.
GLK21-I was there when the ammo buying incident occurred, and the FIRSTHAND truth of the story was that the guys at Ammo Bros needed .223, because the were waiting for the components for THEIR .223 to arrive. And were providing .223 for those that needed it, A SERVICE FOR YOU THE CUSTOMERS.
HillBilly- A person of true principals, if a $6 mistake is going to stop you from going to Ammo Bros, then you are easily upset.

You seem to fail to understand something, that these guys are the ONLY place where you can have your FFL needs and your ammo needs taken care of. Our state is screwed up, and FFLs that will transfer the types of weapons that we like here at Calguns.net.are rare. If you do not like their ammunition, then give them concrete reasons why, chronograph it and tell them that it is too fast,or slow. If you do not like the prices for the products they offer, then work with them. The simple point is, that all of us here a in a state that is very hard on its FFLs, and ammo producers. And if all you guys do is bit** and moan about a $6 lock, and not communicate your complaints to the guys at Ammo Bros, how can solutions be brought forth.
The alternative is that they could close their doors like DOZENS of other FFLS have, like the Armory of Orange, National Gun Sales, Pony Express, Red Star Military Museum to name a few. So know when you are well off, I have been a customer for many years, and I have been treated with nothing less than complete fairness and respect. Let the FLAMES begin, USMCM16A2:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

El Barto
08-17-2007, 8:13 AM
The only issue I have with Ammo Bros is that I can't get out of their store on the cheap. I always buy more than I had intended. I really like the fact that there is an ammo store local to me and will give them my business. They are always friendly and answer my stupid questions without any attitude or smugness.

As for the lock thing, the fact that we have to buy one at all sucks. Mistakes happen and the fact that they acknowleged it says something about the guys. Personally, it takes more than $6 to lose my business.

proraptor
08-17-2007, 8:43 AM
all I got to say is they are lucky I was having a good day when they started asking my girlfriend if they could take her picture and put it all over their website....that disrespect right there keeps me from buying anything from them...

now if you want to talk about a class act top notch gentleman then you need to go to ades...he has always treated my girlfriend and I with respect...he really is one of the nicest guys I have ever met....

proraptor
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I won't give my business to people that treat my girlfriend like some $2 whore sorry...

I can't stand how they were trying to talk her into doing stuff....straight up pigs in my book...

the guys that work there are older than I and I even know about respect....pretty sad...

my business will go to ade, fowlers, and the stockade for local stuff I need....

lets not forget also that ade's prices are a lot cheaper than those guys....they are a total rip off....$600 to $700 for an ak47 lol I feel sorry for the people that paid that much for a $350 gun...

MrLogan
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Most of us have probably made inappropriate comments about someone else's woman, but not in front of them! ;)

proraptor
08-17-2007, 11:27 AM
they said they would give her a ammo bros shirt if she did all kind of poses in it with a bikini bottom and stuff...they said they were going to put her pics up on their website....

they kept trying to talk her into it giving her more free crap....it was just an uncomfortable situation..they were pretty much hitting on her right in front of me....they knew that I standing right next to her was her boyfriend.....but it seemed they didn't care......

I was pissed...she had to calm me down cause I was about to get go back there and get arrested...

GlockComa
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Damn Proraptor I give you props for keeping it cool man.
I know if that was me in that situation I would have said something to them.
Thats hella disrespectful and pathetic on their part.

I was thinking about visiting their shop one of these days but I won't now.

proraptor
08-17-2007, 12:54 PM
is the dustin the heavier set guy? if so it wasn't him...

it was a skinnier white guy with a shaved head (one of the brothers I think) and a darker skinned guy with a shaved head...

it happened at the one of the gun shows at the orange county fairgrounds...

I think the fact is a lot of girls get this kind of crap all the time and I know that.....but to do it in front of her boyfriend is straight up rude and disrespectful...

I will say though its a thing of the past and I should have posted about it here but I decided to be the bigger man and keep it under wraps...

it still bothers me though....

STAGE 2
08-17-2007, 2:04 PM

Yes, it was within the last 2 months. One of my family members is on the cerritos city council so I am in the area frequently and have stopped in several times.

They had AR lowers which was nice, but too much hokey stuff and the employees had the zeal of a rock and the maturity of a junior high locker room.

///D
08-17-2007, 2:26 PM
Ehh, nevermind

hoozaru
08-17-2007, 3:25 PM
IMHO, dustin is cool, you should talk to him about price and stuff.
no offense, but the other bros do act little different when dustin is not around.

USMCM16A2
08-17-2007, 5:54 PM
Stage2,

Most of the so called swords and "hokey" items I have not seen recently, and if you have an ax to grind with these guys then spit it out. I know all of the guys at AB. And to say that they have the zeal of a rock is just plain "EMPTYHEADED", if you have a legitimate gripe then bring it to the guys attention, nobody needs just another "BIGMOUTH" spilling his spew from his pie-hole. THANKS, USMCM16A2:43::43::43:

USMCM16A2
08-17-2007, 5:59 PM
Proraptor,

Is this topic just something to focus your OCD on ???. Get over it pal, you THINK that it may have been one of the brothers, why do you not make certain who it is before you and some of the microcephalic mooks on this forum trash the brothers. Thanks, USMCM16A2:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GUN FREAK
08-17-2007, 6:39 PM
GUYS ARE GUYS!

Get over it, at least you have a Hot Chick.

It was all about a free Lock for sale.

STAGE 2
08-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Stage2,

Most of the so called swords and "hokey" items I have not seen recently, and if you have an ax to grind with these guys then spit it out. I know all of the guys at AB. And to say that they have the zeal of a rock is just plain "EMPTYHEADED", if you have a legitimate gripe then bring it to the guys attention, nobody needs just another "BIGMOUTH" spilling his spew from his pie-hole. THANKS, USMCM16A2:43::43::43:

A friend of theirs I see. Well, the apple didn't go very far in this case.

allenst65
08-18-2007, 12:46 AM
You seem to fail to understand something, that these guys are the ONLY place where you can have your FFL needs and your ammo needs taken care of.

Umm, yeah. :rolleyes:

For a minute, I thought I was reading about Evans :D

"BEFORE YOU READ FURTHER - Evans Gunsmithing is THE ONLY Licensed California Assault Weapons Dealer and Repair Facility to trust. If you need gunsmithing on your registered assault weapon and you are in California, there is only ONE place you can, or should turn to, and that is Evans Gunsmithing."

socalguns
08-18-2007, 2:31 AM
You know, manners make the floors less bloody :)

proraptor
08-18-2007, 6:16 AM
Proraptor,

Is this topic just something to focus your OCD on ???. Get over it pal, you THINK that it may have been one of the brothers, why do you not make certain who it is before you and some of the microcephalic mooks on this forum trash the brothers. Thanks, USMCM16A2:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im hoping this was a drunk post....:rolleyes:

BTW: They do sell some crappy stuff....last time I was there they had NCStar scopes (the worst china pieces of junk on the planet). I also say swords with dragons wrapped around them and other gun show novelties there for sale....This was awhile ago though....

I used to work about 5 miles from them and used to go there almost everyday at lunch to check stuff out or buy something I needed. My business will go to Ades, Fowlers, and stockade

caduckgunner
08-18-2007, 6:53 AM
Gents,

I have never seen so much noise made about such a nothing problem. I cannot believe the number of Senior members on this site who are acting like a bunch of whining school girls. To start,
Grumpy562- get over it, it was an honest mistake, quit crying about it and fix the situation.
Long Beach- Buy your AZEX Ak from CWS then.
///D- you need to learn to speak more clearly.
Proraptor-The guy that made the indecent proposal to your lady was NOT an Ammo Bros employee, she is also a grown woman.
GLK21-I was there when the ammo buying incident occurred, and the FIRSTHAND truth of the story was that the guys at Ammo Bros needed .223, because the were waiting for the components for THEIR .223 to arrive. And were providing .223 for those that needed it, A SERVICE FOR YOU THE CUSTOMERS.
HillBilly- A person of true principals, if a $6 mistake is going to stop you from going to Ammo Bros, then you are easily upset.

You seem to fail to understand something, that these guys are the ONLY place where you can have your FFL needs and your ammo needs taken care of. Our state is screwed up, and FFLs that will transfer the types of weapons that we like here at Calguns.net.are rare. If you do not like their ammunition, then give them concrete reasons why, chronograph it and tell them that it is too fast,or slow. If you do not like the prices for the products they offer, then work with them. The simple point is, that all of us here a in a state that is very hard on its FFLs, and ammo producers. And if all you guys do is bit** and moan about a $6 lock, and not communicate your complaints to the guys at Ammo Bros, how can solutions be brought forth.
The alternative is that they could close their doors like DOZENS of other FFLS have, like the Armory of Orange, National Gun Sales, Pony Express, Red Star Military Museum to name a few. So know when you are well off, I have been a customer for many years, and I have been treated with nothing less than complete fairness and respect. Let the FLAMES begin, USMCM16A2:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

Just wondering, are half of your 30 post in this thread?:rolleyes:

tankerman
08-18-2007, 7:02 AM
Im hoping this was a drunk post....:rolleyes:

BTW: They do sell some crappy stuff....last time I was there they had NCStar scopes (the worst china pieces of junk on the planet). I also say swords with dragons wrapped around them and other gun show novelties there for sale....This was awhile ago though....

I used to work about 5 miles from them and used to go there almost everyday at lunch to check stuff out or buy something I needed. My business will go to Ades, Fowlers, and stockade
Proraptor, I agree with you. Shady, rude operation. There are obviously a few of Dustin and company's friends on this board that are making excuses for bad behavior and less than ethical dealings.
I love the justification that because they are one of the few places that will handle OLL and ammo, they should be excused from disrespectful behavior. Or blame the bad behavior on others working in the shop. Well, who you hire and how you run your business is a direct reflection of the owner. Just because the bad behavior is comes from the 'other brothers' is no excuse,but it does show the character of the family.

USMCM16A2
08-18-2007, 7:31 AM
Gents,(For some of you I use the term loosely)

I do not understand why you boys, (Proraptor,STAGE2, so on), do not grow a pair and talk to the Ammo Bros and try to get your grievances addressed. As to my post being made under the influence of alcohol the answer is NO. What it was a response to, was a teenage overreaction to an event that occurred at a gunshow. You "thought" that it "could" have been one of the brothers, (as to you thinking its a stretch) so you have ZERO credibility in my eyes because you cannot even identify who it was. Had you a few too many beers that day at the show???.
And to caduckbutter, as to most of my posts being here in this particular thread, why do you not open you eyes and use the search button. And a shout out to tankerman, if I am an Ammo Bros lacky, then you fall into the catagory of the rest of these high and mighty zeros, you just as good follower as I.
Boy, fellow Calgunners, in my years following this forum, I have never run into such a group of whining, sniveling pukes. You guys seem to think of yourselves as some group that is better than the average guy that enjoy the Ammo Bros experience. If you guys do not have the balls to talk to them to address the problems, then pound sand. As pointed out by many other calgunners, proraptor cannot even identify who made the indecent proposal, the microcephalic special olympic gold metalist who started this whole jackass thread could have just taken the lock back, IT WAS A MISTAKE!!!!!!.

THANKS,USMCM16A2:D:D:D

caduckgunner
08-18-2007, 7:48 AM
USMCM16A2, I hope that ammobros kool-aid is good:rolleyes: I have no option of them as I have only bought from them twice at the gun show, and those transactions were fine. But I do find it strange that a troll who has been on the board for not very long decides to start name calling members who have been here for a long time and contribute a lot to this board, not just selling a few parts and insulting people because they don't agree with you or are posting a negative comment about your boyfriend gun store :rolleyes: Please go troll somewhere else.

hardkore909
08-18-2007, 8:03 AM
If you don't like whats on TV turn the channel or turn the TV off. If you don't like their practices shop elsewhere, shutup, and finally move on.

tenpercentfirearms
08-18-2007, 8:44 AM
I find it quite plausable that the guy grabbed the first lock he could find and it just happened to be a freebie. I think it is reasonable that the customer could have either asked for a refund on the lock or received a lock he paid for. I would have given him a refund since the Project Childsafe lock was already on the paperwork.

The nice thing about this thread is it inspired me to procure the 400 locks that Taft PD had left and now I just give them out for free. The Pro-Loks I had left are just going to sit there.

At the end of the day, the lock requirement is a bullcrap hassle and I will never treat it as a money maker. Not saying AB is treating it as such, but any shop that does shouldn't get your business. I would rather have you spend your money on something else productive like a better gun, ammo, and/or accessories.

Diablo
08-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Carry on my brothers..carry on...:popcorn:

geeknow
08-18-2007, 1:12 PM
Hello all. I am wondering if any of the folks who have gripes (legit or not) have addressed them with the guys at ammo bros? I am a new member to this site, but have used it a bunch as a visitor for various info (which i appreciate by the way). I have bought stuff from them, as well as others in the community. Rather than post my personal experiences and risk a chop busting I would just say that if a gripe were aired and not addressed, then a negative post would be fair. But is it fair to condemn them (or anyone) without understanding both sides?

glk-21
08-18-2007, 6:05 PM
they were buying .45 acp from wal-mart
.308 from milwal
7.62x39 from milwal
I have no info on this .223 that you are talking about usmcm16a2. Fill everbody in on this

glk-21
08-18-2007, 6:07 PM
also those cheezy swords are stupid!

Pryde
08-18-2007, 6:10 PM
Ammo Bros buys Lake City and Greek HXP 30.06 from CMP and marks it up about 50% for resale.

IMO, that's no worse than the guys who buy up CMP Garands at $400 and resell them on gunbroker for $700+.

Definately shady.

PIRATE14
08-18-2007, 6:20 PM
Ammo Bros buys Lake City and Greek HXP 30.06 from CMP and marks it up about 50% for resale.

IMO, that's no worse than the guys who buy up CMP Garands at $400 and resell them on gunbroker for $700+.

Definately shady.

Buying stuff....and selling is business......001% or 100%.......

Pryde
08-18-2007, 6:29 PM

CMP is a non-profit company that exists for the benefit of all civilian shooters.

This is not the same as from buying from a manufacturer or retailer at dealer price.

In my view, buying from them at their discounted prices and selling at full markup is dishonest.

proraptor
08-18-2007, 6:45 PM

I do not understand why you boys, (Proraptor,STAGE2, so on), do not grow a pair and talk to the Ammo Bros and try to get your grievances addressed. As to my post being made under the influence of alcohol the answer is NO. What it was a response to, was a teenage overreaction to an event that occurred at a gunshow. You "thought" that it "could" have been one of the brothers, (as to you thinking its a stretch) so you have ZERO credibility in my eyes because you cannot even identify who it was. Had you a few too many beers that day at the show???.
And to caduckbutter, as to most of my posts being here in this particular thread, why do you not open you eyes and use the search button. And a shout out to tankerman, if I am an Ammo Bros lacky, then you fall into the catagory of the rest of these high and mighty zeros, you just as good follower as I.
Boy, fellow Calgunners, in my years following this forum, I have never run into such a group of whining, sniveling pukes. You guys seem to think of yourselves as some group that is better than the average guy that enjoy the Ammo Bros experience. If you guys do not have the balls to talk to them to address the problems, then pound sand. As pointed out by many other calgunners, proraptor cannot even identify who made the indecent proposal, the microcephalic special olympic gold metalist who started this whole jackass thread could have just taken the lock back, IT WAS A MISTAKE!!!!!!.

Last time I checked three fing people work there jackass....if it wasnt Dustin then it was the other two guys....I guess you werent smart enough to figure that one out....

Id really refrain from calling fellow LOCAL GUN OWNERS names.....It just isnt smart

PIRATE14
08-18-2007, 6:48 PM
CMP is a non-profit company that exists for the benefit of all civilian shooters.

This is not the same as from buying from a manufacturer or retailer at dealer price.

In my view, buying from them at their discounted prices and selling at full markup is dishonest.

Well CMP should then should just give it all away free....cause TAX PAYERS already paid for the **** a long time ago.......

So, we're getting ripped again......;)

PIRATE14
08-18-2007, 6:50 PM
Last time I checked three fing people work there jackass....if it wasnt Dustin then it was the other two guys....I guess you werent smart enough to figure that one out....

Id really refrain from calling fellow LOCAL GUN OWNERS names.....It just isnt smart

You should watch out what you put on the internet........remember BWO...

grumpy562
08-18-2007, 7:04 PM

Someone take the keyboard away from this kid. Thread trolling and high school internet banging will get you nowhere. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe not. If you have a sales rack with locks on there and then you sell special locks behind the counter? My posting was to give awareness about what people buy. But to each there own. To my little treasure troll please stop trying to defend Ammo Brothers reputation because your really hurting it instead. Ammo Brothers have contacted me. I haven't had time to call them back. So let them take care of the problem instead.

Pryde
08-18-2007, 7:15 PM
Well CMP should then should just give it all away free....cause TAX PAYERS already paid for the **** a long time ago.......

So, we're getting ripped again......;)

So that makes it ok for Ammo Bros to buy it from CMP and rip us even more?

The CMP is a non-profit organization, what does it do with the proceeds from rifle sales?

All revenue not needed to fund current operations is deposited into a permanent endowment to fund future programs and operations once all rifles have been sold.

PIRATE14
08-18-2007, 7:23 PM
So that makes it ok for Ammo Bros to buy it from CMP and rip us even more?

Don't buy it......

You get yours from CMP....so why do you care....

You can only get so many rounds from CMP, so........exactly how many 1,000s of rounds have been sold by these guys at crazy prices......

mblat
08-18-2007, 7:34 PM

Dude.... after what you went through with my deal.... I would thought you would be less supportive of that customer support hellhole ammobros shop is. Remember Paratrooper PSL?

jdberger
08-18-2007, 7:39 PM
Don't buy it......

You get yours from CMP....so why do you care....

You can only get so many rounds from CMP, so........exactly how many 1,000s of rounds have been sold by these guys at crazy prices......

C'mon Pirate...YOU as an FFL are responsible for getting your customers the absolute LOWEST price possible - even if you have to take it in the shorts sometimes.

You need to support us besieged California gun owners, not to try to make a profit off us.

You should understand that customers often don't have the option to shop elsewhere, we might be low on gas, and that vendors should match the prices of other vendors and even the internet.

It's the right thing to do....

:rofl: .... My laughing guy seems to have lost his arms.......

On a side note, I'm offering copies of The Wealth of Nations (http://www.amazon.com/Wealth-Nations-Bantam-Classics/dp/0553585975/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-2487743-1769446?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187494592&sr=8-1) for the low low low price of $21.95

:whistling:

PIRATE14
08-18-2007, 7:46 PM
Dude.... after what you went through with my deal.... I would thought you would be less supportive of that customer support hellhole ammobros shop is. Remember Paratrooper PSL?

Ya, that was a major nightmare..........:cool:

Ammo Bros can really do whatever they want...it's their business....

But.....believe it or not.....it's not the only place that has pulled some really boneheaded stuff......they won't be the last either...

Everyone makes mistakes.......

I am just kicking this thing around and seeing exactly how many pages we can get over a 6 dollar lock.........:43:

We've got boneheaded FFL mistakes...

Girlfriends involved.....

Name calling....

Threats....

CMP......

It's gettin good........

That PSL......that was another stupid thing....well at least I get a chuckle out of it now......;)

PIRATE14
08-18-2007, 7:56 PM
C'mon Pirate...YOU as an FFL are responsible for getting your customers the absolute LOWEST price possible - even if you have to take it in the shorts sometimes.

You need to support us besieged California gun owners, not to try to make a profit off us.

You should understand that customers often don't have the option to shop elsewhere, we might be low on gas, and that vendors should match the prices of other vendors and even the internet.

It's the right thing to do....
:rofl: .... My laughing guy seems to have lost his arms.......

I am taking a break from you besieged CALI guys and selling guns in Austin, TX this wkend.......you guys might be sucking in Costa Mesa nxt wkend.......these TX guys really like these BLACK RIFLES.....I'd sell 10X as many if I could toss some fake wood finish on them:D

hoozaru
08-18-2007, 9:01 PM
no CWS this weekend?

socalguns
08-19-2007, 2:24 AM
ammobros already replied

donger
08-19-2007, 6:10 AM

What does that mean? Are you trying to imply some type of violent conclusion to this inane arguing?

I have no dogs in this fight. But I find that statement a little strong...
Everyone needs to chill, this type of thread reminds me of something that happens on ARF, not Calguns.

USMCM16A2
08-19-2007, 7:47 AM
Gents,

I am writing to say that I agree with Donger, that this thread has gone a little too far. Proraptor, AB actually has 5 guys that work at the store, Frank, George and Carlos, and of course the Ammo Bros themselves. They also occasionally have friends, and cousins that come in and work the shows. From what I gather, the guy that made the comments to your lady was a tee-shirt vendor. And if it offended you, then peace to you man.
Grumpy562, I have known the AB for many years, and they have always, at least with me always been fair to me and their customers. If they sold you a $6 lock that should have been given to you, then they owe you. Stage2, you have a right to spend your money where you see fit, and if they are not providing you with what you want, then it is their loss.
Again, I agree with Donger, this post got out of hand too fast, it does sound alot how business is conducted over at ARF.com. Guys over there get pretty strong with one another. Over here at CALGUNS.NET it for the most part has always been a peaceful friendly exchange. I myself in looking back at my resposes did get out of hand, I feel good about how the AB have treated me and I got out of hand with my commentary. They are good guys, but in the final analysis, you guys have the RIGHT to form your own opinions, and spend your money where you see fit. To those who I might have offended with my banter, Proraptor, Caduckgunner,Stage2, Grumpy562, peace to all of you, we are all stuck in this crappy state together, and we must fight together, NOT AMONGST OURSELVES.

Sorry, USMCM16A2

mblat
08-19-2007, 9:27 AM
Ya, that was a major nightmare..........:cool:

Ammo Bros can really do whatever they want...it's their business....

But.....believe it or not.....it's not the only place that has pulled some really boneheaded stuff......they won't be the last either...

Everyone makes mistakes.......

I am just kicking this thing around and seeing exactly how many pages we can get over a 6 dollar lock.........:43:

We've got boneheaded FFL mistakes...

Girlfriends involved.....

Name calling....

Threats....

CMP......

It's gettin good........

That PSL......that was another stupid thing....well at least I get a chuckle out of it now......;)

MISTAKE? I am sorry, Hector- selling customer free lock could be a mistake, asking somebody else' girlfriend to pose could be testosterone induced bonehead mistake, what happen in my particular situation is no mistake. It is blatant disregard for any attempt to do customer service.

Do I need to remind you that YOU while totally not at fault in the situation did your best to take care of me and suffered some losses as the result?

I am willing to assume that my situation is unique, and not going to tell anybody that they shouldn't shop at Ammobros. Me - myself - I am done with them. Honestly I rather drive to Highland or Taft for that matter. At least I know that you and Wes will do what is right and won't leave me hanging for almost a month.

virulosity
08-19-2007, 10:19 AM
What does everyone do with their locks? I have five of them that have never been opened.

mblat
08-19-2007, 10:21 AM
What does everyone do with their locks? I have five of them that have never been opened.

Next time I'll be at any of my FFLs I will give them up. At least it will do some good... <shrugs>

tenpercentfirearms
08-19-2007, 3:55 PM

I think I will start offering to give you $1 to $2 credit for them.

geeknow
08-19-2007, 6:37 PM
I think I will start offering to give you $1 to $2 credit for them.

a very positive solution. thank you. maybe we could donate them to goodwill, and then take the write off...at full value.

dms1
09-29-2007, 11:59 AM
I would like to say thay I have been to Ammo Bros a few times and have always had good service, my most recent purchase was today were I purchased some ammo and had really good service by Frank.

Dave S

:beer:

PIRATE14
09-29-2007, 6:46 PM
I would like to say thay I have been to Ammo Bros a few times and have always had good service, my most recent purchase was today were I purchased some ammo and had really good service by Frank.

Dave S

:beer:

Pretty sure Frank was a Navy guy so that explains a lot of things........:D

N6ATF
09-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I was in the shop at a range, and looking through, I saw these PCS gun locks. Since I was previously given one by a sheriff's station which had keys that didn't fit, I took the first one on the rack out and QC'ed it.

Guess what? There was also a sign right above them that said $3.50 each. Apparently someone didn't know how to read. I told the weekend manager, and he took it down immediately, cursing the weekday people for messing up the shop in many ways.