PDA

View Full Version : Is a low price qaulity qaud rail possbile?

kdsd731
12-01-2012, 2:23 PM
I have a RRA mid length AR15. It has the standard plastic hand gaurds on it. I would like to install a quad rail on it but am not sure whether it's necessary to spend $400 or $60. Is it mostly paying for brand name or is there a significant difference in quality. I mostly am wanting it because I prefer the looks of a rail to the plastic hand gaurds. I don't think I care if it's a free floating rail at this time since I'm mostly just plinking with it. The only accessories I plan on putting on it at this time is a veritcle grip and possibly a light. Also, my hand guards measure 8.7". Many rails say mid length but vary in length. Do, I need to stay wit the 8.7" or would a 9" fit too? I assume the 8.7" only. But, my main question is, which low to mid price rail manufacturers tend to be best? Or should the old "Buy once, cry once" term apply for me on this too?

xpbprox
12-01-2012, 2:25 PM
YHM diamond mid-length rail for about $100. That's why I paid for thr last 2 I bought from parallax tactical

kdsd731
12-01-2012, 2:42 PM
Thanks. Now I notice that YHM mid length rails are 9.2". Since mine measure 8.7" I'm assuming that they won't work unless I did a low profile gas block and add a aftermarket iron sight. Am I assuming right?

Intimid8tor
12-01-2012, 3:14 PM
You can go with the lower priced ones like YHM. I have some and they are fine. Generally the cheaper ones are drop in rails. They tend to be heavier than free float.

I have some YHM drop in rails, Troy drop in rails as well as free float from Samson, DD and Seekins. As for length, if you are going drop in, then it would just be carbine, mid or rifle length.

Which YHM (link) are you referring to?

xpbprox
12-01-2012, 3:29 PM
I'm talking about the YHM Free Float rail

I have it on a mid-length gas system barrel and it does have a low pro gas block but it looks like it could fir on there with a regular FSB

FMJBT
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
If you go with a free float setup, the latest gen of UTG free float handguards are actually pretty decent. I was surprised at how light they are while still being extremely rigid. Made in the US too.

lewdogg21
12-02-2012, 8:13 AM
Is it necessary to use/buy an AR wrench to install a FF rail?

xpbprox
12-02-2012, 8:56 AM
If you go with a free float setup, the latest gen of UTG free float handguards are actually pretty decent. I was surprised at how light they are while still being extremely rigid. Made in the US too.
Wow, that's interesting. Cool that its made in the US

Is it necessary to use/buy an AR wrench to install a FF rail?

Yes and an upper vise block

kdsd731
12-02-2012, 6:52 PM
sorry, It took so long to reply...to Intimida8ter...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2696113029/yankee-hill-machine-diamond-free-float-tube-handguard-quad-rail-ar-15-aluminum-matte

kdsd731
12-02-2012, 6:54 PM
So as long as it says mid length I'm good to go. Mid length rails vary it seems from manufacturer to manufacturer.