PDA

View Full Version : Youtube gun trick failures? (non reposts)

Apec
10-21-2012, 7:05 PM
Anyone here come across user posted videos of some knuckleheads trying something blatantly stupid or unsafe? As opposed to reposted/circulated stuff like the DEA agent shooting his foot or Tex Grebner putting one through his leg.

Some guy here tries to "cock his 9mm" one handed (from the looks of it, a stainless Sigma). Guess he must have seen that in a movie or something, but it couldn't even chamber a round and he only ended up dry firing on a full mag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffMQXC3QAg
UffMQXC3QAg

jtv3062
10-21-2012, 8:39 PM
I practice this at home. Why is it stupid? Are you going to be able to use both hands if something happened in a emergency? What if you have to carry a child with one hand and reload with the other? And no I have never seen a movie that the actor reloaded a handgun in the way in the YouTube video

locosway
10-21-2012, 9:14 PM
I practice this at home. Why is it stupid? Are you going to be able to use both hands if something happened in a emergency? What if you have to carry a child with one hand and reload with the other? And no I have never seen a movie that the actor reloaded a handgun in the way in the YouTube video

If you're practicing what is shown in the video then I don't know what to say...

dieselpower
10-21-2012, 9:18 PM
you charge a slide by hooking the rear site to the edge of something like your belt or pocket lip and pushing hard.

Apec
10-21-2012, 10:19 PM

You can rack a weapon one handed, but not the way he did it. Proper way is to catch your front or rear sight against your pocket lip/belt/table and push all the way forward. If you run one of those high speed CCW specialized guns without sights (or really tiny ones), this might be tricky.

One handed press checking is similar to what he was doing, but that's obviously not what he was trying to do. I would not trust an untrained person trying to show off to the camera with a loaded weapon, though fortunately he did not successfully chamber a round.

If I have to carry a child and reload with my one free hand, the only difficulty is inserting a fresh mag (most folks have to stick the gun between their knees in that phase). If there is already a round in the chamber, I'm good to go right after slapping a mag in. If I shot to slide lock, I just need to tap the slide stop. If I accidentally dropped the slide, see the sight to belt/pocket method.

You did say reload - so I'm assuming that I've already fired shots at the BG. Now clearing a malfunction with one free hand can be pesky.

Apec
10-21-2012, 10:35 PM

As for movies, there are actors doing that, but they're press checking, not charging the slide from a full mag to an empty chamber. Anyone who's never handled a handgun before might be inclined to think that it would work. Of course Hollywood isn't going to tell you that.

The Way of the Gun:
1:58 - Benicio Del Toro one handed press checks his 1911, while applying pressure to his wound with his off hand
6o0Co4kbRZo

The Matrix Revolutions:
1:14 - Seraph press checks his Browning BDMs (then again, he is dual wielding and almost much every character has infinite ammo in those films)
A-aXsI3EhLw

morfeeis
10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
As for movies, there are actors doing that, but they're press checking, not charging the slide from a full mag to an empty chamber. Anyone who's never handled a handgun before might be inclined to think that it would work. Of course Hollywood isn't going to tell you that.

The Way of the Gun:
1:58 - Benicio Del Toro one handed press checks his 1911, while applying pressure to his wound with his off hand
6o0Co4kbRZo

The Matrix Revolutions:
1:14 - Seraph press checks his Browning BDMs (then again, he is dual wielding and almost much every character has infinite ammo in those films)
A-aXsI3EhLw
forgot the topic, but damn do i love that movie.

morfeeis
10-21-2012, 11:48 PM
fsewsolPyBU

This video is scary to watch for me.

jtv3062
10-22-2012, 6:53 PM

The Way of the Gun:
6o0Co4kbRZo

The Matrix Revolutions:
A-aXsI3EhLw

The first clip I have never seen that movie before. The second clip I forgot about that scene.

I do have to make a correction. I do not practice with loaded or empty mags in the handgun.
Help me understand. If no part of my hand is forward of the barrel, why is this method wrong?

SilverTauron
10-22-2012, 7:34 PM
ZVCz8Tl2ELk

Courtesy of "G-1 Tactical Solutions". :rolleyes:

The entire video is chock full of gun-fail, but skip to 4:40 if you're in a hurry to see some real stupidity.

Merc1138
10-22-2012, 7:55 PM
The first clip I have never seen that movie before. The second clip I forgot about that scene.

I do have to make a correction. I do not practice with loaded or empty mags in the handgun.
Help me understand. If no part of my hand is forward of the barrel, why is this method wrong?

Because it's wrong, that's why. If you ever had enough crap going on at once that you needed to rack the slide one handed, why would you flip it around in your hand like an idiot when you could just use the sights against the edge of just about anything without compromising your grip?

Additionally, if you have anything on your hand(blood, sweat, water, urine, who knows) that might compromise traction, you're not going to be able to grasp is and would risk simply dropping it if you let the slide go forward unexpectedly.

Plus, that's a great way to cover the ejection port and cause a malfunction or make an already existing malfunction(FTF, FTE, etc.) even harder to clear.

If you still don't understand why it's wrong, just keep on practicing your fail. Stop believing the hollywood BS.

lilro
10-22-2012, 9:10 PM

Because using that method will not pull the slide back far enough to chamber a round, only far enough to reset the trigger. Which is why you heard "click" in the video.

Try it with a snap cap.

The proper way to do it is to push your rear sight on a table, belt, etc.

If you want to be the "cool guy"(which I don't recommend), this method is also possible: IqyxP3_am3g

But what the guy did in the OP's video is not right and will not work.

Apec
10-23-2012, 2:22 PM
ZVCz8Tl2ELk

Courtesy of "G-1 Tactical Solutions". :rolleyes:

The entire video is chock full of gun-fail, but skip to 4:40 if you're in a hurry to see some real stupidity.

I remember some friends showing me a body armor test fail video similar to what happened there - in that "trust" exercise. Except that the shooter aiming for his buddy's body armor ended up putting a shot through his arm instead.

Missed at 10 ft. Must have gone to stormtrooper shooting academy.

Powerkraut
10-23-2012, 2:44 PM
Because using that method will not pull the slide back far enough to chamber a round, only far enough to reset the trigger. Which is why you heard "click" in the video.

Try it with a snap cap.

The proper way to do it is to push your rear sight on a table, belt, etc.

If you want to be the "cool guy"(which I don't recommend), this method is also possible: IqyxP3_am3g

But what the guy did in the OP's video is not right and will not work.

What exactly did he do there? Catch it on his shirt?

Merc1138
10-23-2012, 2:56 PM
What exactly did he do there? Catch it on his shirt?

No, inertia. The slide was still moving to the rear while he quickly moved his arm forward again.

Apec
10-23-2012, 3:59 PM
Rob Romero was the first to do it in a match, if I recall correctly. Here's a video of him demonstrating it with various guns. I've tried this with snap caps with the hammer cocked back on my guns, but can't get the slide far back enough to chamber. Technique and strength matter.

fKyGUYjCruY