PDA

View Full Version : The truth about Turner's.

Noshida
10-10-2012, 8:35 AM
A little background. I've lived in the Southern California region since my family moved here from the midwest in 1982. I've shopped at Turner's since about 92'.

I've been good friends with many employees from several stores.

My point isn't to jump on the hate-Turner's-bandwagon but to simply inform the public of Turner's practices. If anything I say here is not true I invite whoever responds for Turner's to respond publicly here.

Some things that bother me...and should you too:

Spiff. Turner's does not pay it's employees commission. Instead they pay them spiffs. Industry wide, spiffs are known as the shady little brother of commission. Here's why. When I go into a store I'm fine knowing that an employee will get a small amount of his/her sale on whatever item I choose to buy (commission). However, at Turner's. Employees are only paid spiff on certain items. So in turn, you get employees that push certain items not because they are the best, or even suit your need, but because there's money behind it. Employees should be paid commission so as to ethically guide consumers toward the best choice of product and still be rewarded for there sale.

Second to that is pay. Generally speaking, most employees are making minimum wage. Turner's will NEVER reach another level of this industry doing this. I implore you to go to an In-N-Out burger and find unhappy employees and poor service. You won't. Why? Because they start employees off at $10/hr. They value their employees and understand that they are the backbone of the organization. Turner's pays most employees $8.50 and then expects them to push spiffed product to make more money.

Attitude. Generally speaking, Turner's is still filled with know-it-all, I'm too good to help you attitudes. Over the years like I've mentioned earlier I've made many lifelong friends of Turner's employees, but the majority are still the typical firearms employee of Turner's. Yes there are a few exceptions worth mentioning at the moment: Brian at Orange, the young guy with glasses at Signal Hill, a few of the guys at Norwalk, most of the Huntington Beach crew.

Inconsistency: Back to In-n-Out. You expect the same quality from store to store. Even on the off menu stuff. I took three months to pay off a very expensive shotgun at the orange store in November of 2011. Everyone there was very accommodating about it. However, when I was in HB last week, I was told i'd only be given 30 days on a layaway. We want the same menu and same service at every store.

Turner's is the Walmart of the firearms industry. They damage the sales of mom and pops, while providing cheaper prices and crappy service. Forget about the $20 or so you'll save at Turner's and try to price-match elsewhere. Somewhere a little more ethical, a little more in tune with the industry and that cares a little more about it's employees.

/rantoff

xdeslitx
10-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Employees should be paid commission so as to ethically guide consumers toward the best choice of product and still be rewarded for there sale.

i didnt read the whole thing as it was pretty long but i totally disagree with this statement

ive worked in retail and a commission driven employee will push for the more expensive stuff because of the percentage they will get back.

so i dont agree that if turners gave commission that the employees would ethically guide consumers towards whats best for the consumers needs.

mvpatriot
10-10-2012, 10:34 AM
If you dont like what/how they sell, then dont go there.
If you dont like what they pay employees, then dont work there.
The rest of us are just glad to have a chain of gun stores here in CA.

Noshida
10-10-2012, 10:51 AM
ive worked in retail and a commission driven employee will push for the more expensive stuff because of the percentage they will get back.

And that's better than pushing toward only specific high priced product how? At least with commission it's paid on all high priced items. With spiff, the employee hopes/pushes you toward only the ones with spiff.

xdeslitx
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM
And that's better than pushing toward only specific high priced product how? At least with commission it's paid on all high priced items. With spiff, the employee hopes/pushes you toward only the ones with spiff.

never said it was better...if it was up to me i wouldnt have commission or spiff
this way the employees could actually HELP the consumer instead of pushing for items because they get money back from it

Rule .308
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
So with a whole 2 posts count to your name you came here just to troll about Turner's or are you a regular member here that does not have the balls? Please, Turner's has been serving So. Cal for a loooooong time. Have all of my experiences with Turner's been perfect? Of course not, but neither have my experiences elsewhere. I could really give a crap how much they pay their people or if they utilize incentives, that is their business, not mine.

henmar77
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
I disagree with your Walmart statement, more like PepBoys. If you have ever been there you know what i mean.

winnre
10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
My complain shave largely been due to corporate policies not individuals. Their new POS computer system, the number of people on duty at a given time, or their hours. Not the fault of a salesperson.

BUT.... recently at Turner's there was no one at the counter. I looked over the used guns and found a real deal. I mentioned to the salesman that the price was great but I will leave it for another person, it is a good deal but not MY deal. Then I check out the ammo.

A minute later I see the salesman take the deal of a gun out of the case. Another salesman says, "Are you buying it?" other guy says "Damn straight" as he waves the gun up in the air like the prize it is. Then he vanishes into the back room with it.

This makes me feel that good deals are now for the employes, not the customers.

xdeslitx
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
So with a whole 2 posts count to your name you came here just to troll about Turner's or are you a regular member here that does not have the balls? Please, Turner's has been serving So. Cal for a loooooong time. Have all of my experiences with Turner's been perfect? Of course not, but neither have my experiences elsewhere. I could really give a crap how much they pay their people or if they utilize incentives, that is their business, not mine.

true that i appreciate what turners does with their weekly specials and calguns specific specials

i know it wasnt towards me when you were talking about trolling but i just want to reiterate that im not trolling

his comment about spiff and commission just seemed off to me thats why i responded

Kurus214
10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
While not disagreeing with the OP, as I have no knowledge of their compensation policies, this does explain some of the experiences I've had, both good and not so good at this establishment. I regularly go there for supplies - targets, some low volume ammo some cleaning supplies - and I'm sure they are profiting off me very well, and will continue to do so when I need something that instant. I am pleased that they are around and hope they stay around.

Since they have 14 stores ( per the web) they clearly know how to run a business in this competitive landscape - bravo to them. What I wonder is how they are responding and positioning themselves to their competition.

Online ammo sales - I recently gave them the opportunity to come down on price on ammunition they didn't need to match but 5% off when the online was 20% cheaper without sales tax was not acceptable.

Small high service establishments without the overhead of 14 stores -
I've made most of my purchases though smaller high service FFL's - I've possibly paid more on average maybe $100 per purchase - but then I've gotten answers to all my questions via phone or e-mail and recommendations on solutions to issues I've had. The establishment I've dealt with as well does custom orders no problem.

Online retailers like Cabelas and Amazon... when I anticipate the need I can order and save significant amounts, as an example I wanted to try a bore snake - none in stock in my caliber at the store - online retailer in stock shipped two days and 8 dollars cheaper per snake.

Moto
10-10-2012, 12:18 PM
never said it was better...if it was up to me i wouldnt have commission or spiff
this way the employees could actually HELP the consumer instead of pushing for items because they get money back from it

Haha, this made me laugh.

Thinking an average worker is more likely to help if they were not on commission. Hahahahahahahahah

TheHammerOfTruth
10-10-2012, 1:23 PM
It wont be long before a Turners representative reads this and figures out that the OP either works for another gun store (probably) or is just a troll. Really OP, your firt post and you expect people to take you seriously.

Noshida
10-10-2012, 1:43 PM
It wont be long before a Turners representative reads this and figures out that the OP either works for another gun store (probably) or is just a troll. Really OP, your firt post and you expect people to take you seriously.

I dont work for another gun store. And id love a turner's rep on here to answer my accusations.

DannyInSoCal
10-10-2012, 1:50 PM
I'm doing a transfer at the Corona location off McKinley at 4:30 -

I'll report back my experience...

whatpain
10-10-2012, 1:57 PM
probably a former turners employee. i bought one gun there and i would gladly go back. they had great service and knowledgable staff at least at the one i went too. along with no hassle for add ons or anything crazy

keenkeen
10-10-2012, 1:57 PM
OP,

Welcome to Calguns, glad this site is here so you could get that off your chest.

Don't grind to hard, you will wind up with no ax left.

:oji:

AVID HUNTER
10-10-2012, 2:19 PM
I don't think the staff gets paid nearly enough. They deserve more because I'm an *****Hole. Seriously though, I enjoy Turners, but wish they carried more quality items. Their scopes suck, they have hardly any quality parts and accessories. As for the splifs, I bet that somes from the crappy Ruger stuff they always have on sale. I'm an not a huge Ruger fan as I think all Ruger firearms are ****...well, maybe except the 10-22. All in all, I will return and keep going back. However, they are not Walmart as their prices are usually higher than all the competition.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-10-2012, 4:40 PM
I dont work for another gun store. And id love a turner's rep on here to answer my accusations.

Oh, so now they are "accusations". And here I thought you just wanted to share some information with the rest of us.

Yugo
10-10-2012, 4:53 PM
For the most part I could give 2 rats a**ses about there employees or there attitudes, if the store has something I want for the price I want it for then I will buy there if not I wont simple as that!

I just feel bad for the people that DONT do there own research and expect employees of a chain store to direct them into making a choice that they should have researched them selves.

Furthermore, if Turners wants to pay there employees one way or another is there business not mine.

They are not the only players in town. 90% of the items sold there are way over priced anyway so I don't know why people shop there in the first place.

cjc16
10-10-2012, 5:08 PM
I am very happy with the safe I purchased from Turners and the ammo I bought from Walmart.

89burban
10-10-2012, 5:20 PM
I have a Beretta in jail at Turners right know. this is my second gun from this store, last one was about 5 years ago (10/22). I didn't have a problem 5 years ago, i'll let you know how it goes this time. I will say that i didn't count on the sales person to help me make my choice i did my own research and only expected them to complete the paper work correctly and to pay a good price. I did ask the guy if he could give me the normal on sale price $499 vs $539 even tho it was not on sale at the time, and he did after asking the manager. I'll let you know in about 5 days.

Jyruiz
10-10-2012, 5:33 PM
I am happy with Turners in Norwalk, they have treated me well on all 3 of my rifle purchases. Same goes for the two co workers I referred and purchased several guns now. One does wish their layaway was longer though.

Rule .308
10-10-2012, 5:34 PM
Did a PPT on 2 long guns at the old Torrance store and it was the longest pain in the butt transaction, but by no fault of the guys behind the counter. Did a PPT recently at the Corona store, had never been there and would rather have been at Annie's, transaction was smooth, courteous, and pretty quick. They are no better or worse than any other gun store and they are a chain, not your local mom and pop, and you just are not going to get that kind of service.

Minimum wage, really? What business is it of anybodies but theirs what they pay their staff. Like working the back gun counter is a career? Get over yourself already and go troll somewhere else.

Speedpower
10-10-2012, 5:57 PM
He must be a Damn EX Turners Employee! sorry if you got fired!

indobos72
10-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Corona Turners are good to go. Did a 20 min ppt and picked up a Ruger 10/22 for my boy. Also had a friend pick up a glock at sale price and then two days later Glocktoberfest. Larry gave my buddy the difference And he also got a S&W MP15 Sport. I treat the guys with respect and courtesy and they give back. Go in pissing on the floor and you get the same in return. These guys never push a particular spiffed product. Actually they try to push the whole rack on me. But most of the time I browse and try to decide what I can get away with. I am not going to lie and say I never had a bad experience. But just remember, these guys are trying to make a living just like you and I. They make mistakes and maybe have at a time spread FUD. But keep pushing and pissin and moaning and pretty soon you won't be able to buy guns. I prefer to keep the few FFL's we have open and running.

But what Yugo said hit it on the head, do your research. Find a gun you like and if they have it for the price you want get it. If not, don't take a ticket and keep it to yourself. I like Turners being 5 minutes from my house.

ham
10-10-2012, 11:45 PM
I treat the guys with respect and courtesy and they give back. Go in pissing on the floor and you get the same in return.

But just remember, these guys are trying to make a living just like you and I. They make mistakes and maybe have at a time spread FUD. But keep pushing and pissin and moaning and pretty soon you won't be able to buy guns. I prefer to keep the few FFL's we have open and running.

:iagree:

bill_k_lopez
10-11-2012, 3:21 AM
OP, do you still live at home with mom & dad?

Seems like you're a little short on experience with how things work.

Turner's isn't any different than any other gun store.

Gothboy
10-11-2012, 4:26 AM
I am happy with Turners in Norwalk, they have treated me well on all 3 of my rifle purchases. Same goes for the two co workers I referred and purchased several guns now. One does wish their layaway was longer though.

I generally visit the signal hill location, and have always had good (if not slow) service there. The reason it's slow from my experience is that they ACTUALLY DO take the time to answer everyones questions...and the customers ask too many dang questions! lol. I recently made a purchase at the norwalk location, and was even more pleased witrh their service! Nothing bad about turners here. Just be patient and you'll get your time.

I dont care what they pay. I dont care about comission. I DO wish they had more counter people and a better computer system. Their prices are fair, if you want better, keep looking its out there. I will keep going until they do me wrong, like any place else.

Smoke&Rattler
10-11-2012, 7:32 AM
Go with them until treated wrong. I asked Turners to price match on a firearm. It was $5 and was denied. I was told AMMO Bros isn't their competition. lol. Ok. Since then been buying from AMMO Bros. Haven't looked back. Great customer service. The manager knows who I am when I walk in. Is there better than AMMO Bros? I am sure will say yes. But, ill stay for now.

Back to complaint about commission. I doesn't bother me. I usually know 99% of the time what I want. So their opinion (which is never given to me) wouldn't effect me.

DannyInSoCal
10-11-2012, 7:37 AM
I'm doing a transfer at the Corona location off McKinley at 4:30 -

I'll report back my experience...

Best experience I've had at a Turners yet -

28min total -

And they were pretty busy....

Jorgie
10-11-2012, 9:22 AM
I have had a great experience at the Norwalk Turners. Mike always takes care of me and my bro (in the last 2 mos we have bought 11 pistols and rifles) since day one. I wanted to like ammo bros just cause everyone seems to love this place but, ehh. I felt like I was an outsider at a boys club or something. The two guys that I've tried to deal (at seperate times) with at ammo bros ignore me and talk to their buddies even though they were "attending to me" as they had called my number. Anyhow, I've always got the best deal at Turners and I've shopped around. BTW, no one is forcing the ee's to work there. Just my 2 cents.

pkc168
10-11-2012, 9:37 AM
Never had issues with Turners Orange. Took a friend few weeks ago to buy his first handgun, the store was busy, but we were out of there in 30 minutes or less. Staff was very friendly and offered many times to help me as I was just waiting for my friend and browsing the guns. So I really don't know where the issue is with Turners...

CessnaDriver
10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I've no problems and bought my scout rifle from them last year.
Very busy store though.

LBDamned
10-11-2012, 11:36 AM
OP, I'm going to state the obvious... if you have a better method of running a retail store, start one. Period. Or submit your resume with cover letter explaining all the great ideas you have that will benefit Turners.

Turners in general is very successful... the stores I frequent don't have lot of employee turnover (that I've noticed)... these two things indicate they are doing something right.

It seems as thought you might be a disgruntled employee (if so, I'm sure there's another view - from the corporation regarding your situation)...

if none of the above is accurate/relevant, I really don't see the point in this thread.

My point isn't to jump on the hate-Turner's-bandwagon

with all due respect, yes it is. You created a user name the day you posted this thread - and all three of your posts are here. You had an agenda.

gunnlover
10-11-2012, 12:35 PM
I love going to Turners in Kearny Mesa, San Diego. Beto is awesome and so is Russ and the other guys. Would go there anytime to buy a gun.

Tanner68
10-11-2012, 1:45 PM
OP, I'm going to state the obvious... if you have a better method of running a retail store, start one. Period. Or submit your resume with cover letter explaining all the great ideas you have that will benefit Turners.

Turners in general is very successful... the stores I frequent don't have lot of employee turnover (that I've noticed)... these two things indicate they are doing something right.

It seems as thought you might be a disgruntled employee (if so, I'm sure there's another view - from the corporation regarding your situation)...

if none of the above is accurate/relevant, I really don't see the point in this thread.

with all due respect, yes it is. You created a user name the day you posted this thread - and all three of your posts are here. You had an agenda.

^^^^This guy has got it pretty much covered OP.

And I don't think anyone from Turner's needs to respond to your charges.

Chameleon Loco
10-11-2012, 5:04 PM
The Reseda one has the cheapest prices on ammo where I live as the only other stores that sells ammo locally is Big5. I have never bought a firearm from Turners but if they ever carry one that I am interested in I probebly would. Their prices on firearms are pretty competative. The only thing that is a burn is they are always so busy when I go there.

Stardude82
10-11-2012, 7:52 PM
The Reseda one has the cheapest prices on ammo where I live as the only other stores that sells ammo locally is Big5.

Head up to the Santa Clarita or Simi Valley Walmart. You can almost always find 9mm $12/50rd or less if they have Federal bulk packs in stock.

I've had bad experiences at the few local mom and pops and I can't say I've had better experiences at Ammo Bros.

emmzel
10-11-2012, 8:46 PM
Hey OP,

Brother, just delete this thread.

Turners has done nothing but great things for all my gun needs.

I shop at the Turners in Clairemont Mesa, and all those guys are awesome from Moe, Dee, Chris, Beeto, Russ, Jacob, KD, the list goes on. Every one of them has help me in some way or the other.

In fact one of them took time out of their busy schedule to help me find a particular model of a 1911 because it was sold out.

Can you believe that, a gun that they did not have stock on, he took time out of his day to help me find one, try to determine an eta, and at least help me place an order.

And that my friend is what I call fantastic customer service.

Loubot10
10-11-2012, 9:49 PM
Two questions:

Have you ever owned a retail business?

Are you still in business?

You have a bad experience? Write it but don't try and prove your business acumen by explaining why a retail store has bad service.

Even if you're right, who cares? Either go there or don't.

DiogiDoc
10-12-2012, 10:38 AM
How is your "spiff" any different than a mom and pop gun store promoting selling a specific gun because they got a good deal on it. Just because coporates tells all the employees vs a small business owner promoting it. You just need to be an informed customer. Sometimes being informed includes learning along the way. Turner's, just like Walmart or Pepboys has their place. If you do not like it then don't go there or troll here.

Distro
10-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Never been "sold" a gun at Turners, I have my mind made up before I walk in. Call my number I tell them make and model and start my paperwork. I have read people complain that the employees aren't too helpful towards people who want to look around or seem like window shoppers, well those people should see the faces of those waiting in line behind them.

Pasadena store is nearly a drive thru. The only time I have ever experienced a delay was the cashier computer froze for the guy in front of me when he was buying a fishing license. It was like an 8 minute delay but nothing major.

chino
10-12-2012, 8:47 PM
At Turners or any frequently visited business I try to get to know at least a salesman. If my purchase goes well, all my purchases are made through that individual, I will ask for him and wait if necessary. Whether they receive a commission or not, it shows management that he is doing his job. He knows my name and I know his, just like in a small shop/store.
When work is done at the house/car, I tip the worker not the contractor/owner. Needless to say service while never guaranteed is seldon ignored.

DSB
10-12-2012, 8:59 PM
1) I have always had good experiences with my purchases at Turners.

2) OP's first post on Calguns is opening a thread complaining about Turners.

3) I couldn't care less about OP's opinion.

pkajiwara
10-12-2012, 9:05 PM
I'll just say, as someone new to California, Turner's does not represent a good gun shop. I went in there & staff were incapable or unwilling to help. I was asking for for specific grain ammo for my AR-10 & the guy just seemed clueless.

Noshida
10-13-2012, 1:32 PM
I'll just say, as someone new to California, Turner's does not represent a good gun shop. I went in there & staff were incapable or unwilling to help. I was asking for for specific grain ammo for my AR-10 & the guy just seemed clueless.

Nothing you say can have any relevence, you only have four posts.

razr
10-13-2012, 3:46 PM
Employees should be paid commission so as to ethically guide consumers toward the best choice of product and still be rewarded for there sale./rantoff

Why? Not sure if I agree or even understand this? Best choice of product? You obviously are not familiar with retail business. Plus, no one is forcing anyone to work at Turners.

reddogg
10-17-2012, 8:34 PM
How many posts does one need to gain relevance?

DiogiDoc
10-17-2012, 9:05 PM
How many posts does one need to gain relevance?

11+ (doh, u only have 10)

Toolfreak66
10-17-2012, 10:14 PM
While i have had horrible service from the Turners in Norwalk and the old location in Torrance and will never buy anything from them again, i do not agree with the OP. While the employees attitudes can be affected by their pay, it will more likely be affected by their management. I have known tons of people to take a lower paying job to be happy at work.

As far as commission or spiffs, I'd rather not see them in any retail store. Employees should be rewarded on their behaviors, not bottom line sales.

I'm not a fan of Turners (by that i mean i will never shop there again) and I'd much rather go to Ammo bros or Rifle gear, but they obviously do something right to have 15 stores and be in business this long.

cnj
10-18-2012, 11:33 AM
In defense of Turner's (and other gun shops I have done business with in the last few years), I'll have to say I have always been treated very well, and with the utmost respect.....Turner's in Corona, and their store in Orange for both new purchases and PPT's. Also both Ammo Bros stores for numerous transactions. Hell, even Bass Pro in Rancho for the one gun I bought there.

henmar77
10-18-2012, 11:43 AM
The truth is, its always going to be hit or miss. location, whose helping you, their mood, time of day, how busy they are or if they don't like you. I have had good and very bad experiences with turners and other gun stores. What sucks is this seems to be the standard with gun shops. I have been to other industries retailers or restaurants where the customer service is excellent ALL THE TIME! Its just like McDonalds and most other fast food. They treat you like **** because they can. You'll be back to eat there again regardless.

DavidR310
10-18-2012, 3:28 PM
Well I'll be damned, LBDamned said it spot on.

reddogg
10-18-2012, 6:43 PM
Lol DiogiDoc.

Green Ice Dragon
10-19-2012, 1:55 AM
I guess I would ask the OP if he would like it if I went to where he works and told him how to flip his burgers?

And what the hell is with this whole "Walmart = Bad" garbage? Heaven forbid that some of us poorer folks can have the opportunity to pay lower prices for things we need/want.

DinoPJR
10-19-2012, 9:01 AM
hahahaha

bobdev
10-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I've purchased guns and supplies at Turners FV with no problem. I wish there was a store closer to South OC. I've found it best to get there early, as in when the doors open on the first day of a sale. That way you're first in line for any limited stock. The savings are usually worth the effort.

santamonica9
10-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I have to say that each turners ive been into has been pretty normal for a gun store. Yes they can get better prices due to volume. As a consumer use your money wisely, do your own research. rent the gun first. try a friends. many ways to try a new gun before you fill out the 4473

turners gets a bad rep for the most part, all gun stores have to deal with this. its just how it is in the gunstore world. it aint the wild west anymore with every 5&10 has a guns & ammo selection....imagine that, behind that 7-11 counter a springfield 1911 GI for 700 and stacks of ammo next to the cigs

Garand1911
10-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Ive been a turners customer for many years, and have seen good and bad sales rep. its just a matter of finding a good one and dealing with only them.

I think ive experienced one of those "spiffs". I dont have a problem with commission if its built into the price and not added later. Let me explain, I went in to a turners store and purchased a consignment shotgun. The shotgun was in mint condition, and the clerk helping me said there was no box for the gun, and suggested that i buy a gun sock off the shelf and he will sack it up and keep it safe during the 10 day wait. So i did, he said to mention his name at the register when i bought it, which i did. The price of the gun sock was $12, which seemed high. Without making a fuss, on seperate occasions ive double checked the shelf sticker price of the gun sock ...$8.
I assume this clerk made a $4 commission or "spiff".
If the shelf price was $12 and he made $4, no problem ...good.
But jacking up the price at the register sucks, and it doesnt make me want to help good employees.

Gothboy
10-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Anyone else catch this? Looks to me like Noshida has only four posts as well. Im no genius but that looks like BS to me. :)

Distro
10-20-2012, 1:43 PM
Anyone else catch this? Looks to me like Noshida has only four posts as well. Im no genius but that looks like BS to me. :)

If you add context to that post from the previous ones in the thread, he was joking. People said it was suspicious all his new posts were made in this thread.

OhSewNice
10-21-2012, 8:31 AM
I guess I would ask the OP if he would like it if I went to where he works and told him how to flip his burgers?

This post made me laugh. OP is probably a troll since he hasn't responded. Unfortunately retail is a tough business. There shouldn't be a variance in store practices unless mandated by law like the products not for sale in Reseda. If I were the district manager I would closely watch these threads to find out areas of opportunity. You can't run the business on sales alone.

myk
10-22-2012, 3:59 AM
What's hard about being in customer service today is that there are a lot of people who feel entitled to a certain level of treatment whenever they're dealt with, and if they don't get their knob shined just right then the business in question is a TERRIBLE one. For example, try to look up your favorite restaurant or whatever on the YELP pages-there's hardly any business there that has stellar ratings from people that post reviews, and that's because people just love to complain about things. Even if a place is deemed as a "good" one there will always be something to nitpick about.

All of the OP's/troll's points about Turners are moot and pointless.
1. Spiff, shmiff, whiff...who gives a damn. Show me one business that doesn't try to steer you into a particular product and/or doesn't reward their employees for selling that product.

2. Pay? It isn't our concern what Turner's pays their employees. What, are we their Union reps or something?

3. Attitude is all in the eye of the beholder. Don't expect to make new Facebook friends from these people and you'll be fine; these people are here to sell guns & ammo and nothing more. Conversely, I'm there to buy guns and ammo, and not much more. Well, I do like harassing their girls at the cashier stations but that's another thread.

In other words..........people who complain about businesses just need to get a life...

pbsmind
10-22-2012, 8:40 AM
I've purchased guns and supplies at Turners FV with no problem. I wish there was a store closer to South OC. I've found it best to get there early, as in when the doors open on the first day of a sale. That way you're first in line for any limited stock. The savings are usually worth the effort.

^This. I've also had good experiances at the Orange and Corona Stores, I've purchased firearms at all three. One closer to South OC would be nice as I'm no longer commuting. =)

cwin
10-22-2012, 8:47 AM
I agree with the OP about having a more consistent process. I've had one too many bad experiences at Turners, so I choose not to give them my business. Customer service is important to me, I'd rather pay a little more for a better experience.

Gothboy
10-22-2012, 8:25 PM
If you add context to that post from the previous ones in the thread, he was joking. People said it was suspicious all his new posts were made in this thread.

Ah, perhaps I had forgotten that by the time we got this far in the thread. :D

bubbapug1
10-24-2012, 9:05 PM
Turners has come a long way the last two years. Sure, they will never reach the level of a Rifle Gear, but they are way better than in the past under the old management. I have had my share of issues with Turners, but they can all be traced back to one single employee who just has a horrible attitude.

I also have had great experainces with many others at Fountain Valley, Signal Hill, Orange, Corona, Chino, and Redondo.

I do not like to do tranfers there because it takes so darn long some of the time.

But to compare them to Pep boys or wal mart...thats just a low blow. They are more like a mcdonalds type place.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-24-2012, 9:10 PM
Seriously....Rifle Gear?

Atlantaboi2012
10-24-2012, 9:34 PM
Wow this new guy just posted his opinion and you guys jump all over him? You guys are harsh.

Rule .308
10-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Seriously....Rifle Gear?

Could not agree with you more on that statement.

What makes you think this guy is a new guy, low post count? Probably an existing member under a new handle that wants to piss and moan about Turner's or even simpler yet, just another Troll.

Firerescuebatt07
10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Turners has come a long way the last two years. Sure, they will never reach the level of a Rifle Gear, but they are way better than in the past under the old management. I have had my share of issues with Turners, but they can all be traced back to one single employee who just has a horrible attitude.

I also have had great experainces with many others at Fountain Valley, Signal Hill, Orange, Corona, Chino, and Redondo.

But to compare them to Pep boys or wal mart...thats just a low blow. They are more like a mcdonalds type place.

+1:iagree: to the Corona store... I just jailed a M&P15 sport there yesterday... Mike N. and a older guy with a silver beard whose name I did not catch were awesome people. Took their time and was very knowledgeable about the Kimber and the rifle I was looking at. Never felt rushed, when I went out to the truck to get papers Mike had no problem ushering me back to the front of the Q. I've only been to the signal hill, norwalk and corona, and fountain valley turners and each time I've been there has been pleasant... I'm not trying to say you're wrong.,... each has their own opinion but if you have these grievances I suggest shop somewhere else... I only went to turners because the usual mom and pop I go to was out of my way yesterday and the sports have been hard to find lately... (for me)... Anyways, thats my .02... have a good night brothers

winnre
10-25-2012, 7:38 AM
I find Riflegear to be arrogant. I walked in with a question about a shotgun issue I had and they told me they do not carry that model, end of discussion. Then I went to OC Armory with the same question, they had me bring in the shotgun and 30 minutes later not only was my issue solved but the owner was happy to have learned about the shotgun for other customers who may come in. So there.

LBDamned
10-25-2012, 9:50 AM
I find Riflegear to be arrogant. I walked in with a question about a shotgun issue I had and they told me they do not carry that model, end of discussion. Then I went to OC Armory with the same question, they had me bring in the shotgun and 30 minutes later not only was my issue solved but the owner was happy to have learned about the shotgun for other customers who may come in. So there.

the explanation is in your own statement of experience... Rifle Gear is not an Armorer... by nature of their name alone, OC Armory is and therefor makes sense that they would fix guns.

If you went to Turners (or any gun store with no armorer/gunsmith) with a gun issue (especially on a gun they don't carry), there's nothing they can do for you (other than refer you to a gunsmith/armorer).

winnre
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
the explanation is in your own statement of experience... Rifle Gear is not an Armorer... by nature of their name alone, OC Armory is and therefor makes sense that they would fix guns.

If you went to Turners (or any gun store with no armorer/gunsmith) with a gun issue (especially on a gun they don't carry), there's nothing they can do for you (other than refer you to a gunsmith/armorer).

No, OC Armory is not an armorer, but he cares more about his customers. I can sit in the shop for an hour and just chat (as long as I do not interfere with business dealings). You can't do that at Riflegear. It gets slow and they disappear into the back.

LBDamned
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
No, OC Armory is not an armorer, but he cares more about his customers. I can sit in the shop for an hour and just chat (as long as I do not interfere with business dealings). You can't do that at Riflegear. It gets slow and they disappear into the back.
I wonder why they have the word "Armory" in their name...

And I wonder why they list Gunsmith Services on their webpage?

I also wonder why they would bother to have an 07 FFL license if they don't do any gunsmithing? Oh, wait - they do SSE (in addition to "other gunsmith services").

Rifle Gear is not what OC Armory is... can't expect the same service.

hermosabeach
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
So... My experience with Turners has come down to the employee.

Some of the part time employees are AWESOME
They are gun people who work there to get deals a d to hand out around gun people

When I purchased a ruger 45/22, they counter man asked If i knew how to field stip it as there is a tricky part. He offer to show me. Then he had me repeat it twice in the store.

This guy went above what I expected

There are other times that the prior owners/ management just missed on an easy upsell/ better experience.
Example
I purchased an SKS years back (prior owners) and the clerk did not to pick up the gun to read the serial number as it was caked with cosmoline.

I asked to also buy stripper clips and it took 3 employees to find them.

It seemded like a checklist for the SKS would help everyone
1) gun is covered in cosmoline- consider buying a can or two of gunblaster
2) this gun shoots from an internal magazine- conside buying a package of stripper clips
3) ammo
4) rubber gloves for degreasing-

It seems like at times Turners gets too busy- they them have to trade customer service for speed

As they have a lot of non gun owners shopping or maybe looking, they sometimes hurry off to another customer and lose a sale.

Overall I am happy and a repeat customer of the store and I am glad that the new owners are expanding the firm.

For those of you who do not recall what gun ranges, stores and gunshows looked like in 1994 and 1995- well they went from being packed to being ghost towns

When Obama is reelected and the Firearms Ban- part 2 goes into effect, I hope that the shops will fair better than they did in 1995

LBDamned
10-25-2012, 10:34 AM
When Obama is reelected and the Firearms Ban- part 2 goes into effect, I hope that the shops will fair better than they did in 1995
:mad:

you are such a pessimist. :p

and I really hope you're wrong!

winnre
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I wonder why they have the word "Armory" in their name...

And I wonder why they list Gunsmith Services on their webpage?

I also wonder why they would bother to have an 07 FFL license if they don't do any gunsmithing? Oh, wait - they do SSE (in addition to "other gunsmith services").

Rifle Gear is not what OC Armory is... can't expect the same service.

Some places have FORT in their name but I see nothing resembling a fort when I arrive. Anyway YES they are an 07 FFL but the point is when I walked in with my shotgun issue he had NO IDEA what it could be, and he found out. Yes he is different than Riflegear. Thank God.

LBDamned
10-25-2012, 2:29 PM
Some places have FORT in their name but I see nothing resembling a fort when I arrive. Anyway YES they are an 07 FFL but the point is when I walked in with my shotgun issue he had NO IDEA what it could be, and he found out. Yes he is different than Riflegear. Thank God.

he should... he's a gunsmith (an 07 FFL at that)... Rifle Gear is not. Apples to Oranges.

My dentist wont give me a chest X-Ray. That bastard!

winnre
10-25-2012, 2:40 PM
He didn't charge me either, since he learned something too.

DiogiDoc
10-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Turner's is a chain store and I would expect the staff to he hit and miss. I have had great experiences with the staff at Turner's. The take a number system is good so people don't have to get pushy to get service. If you want the mom and pop experience goto that type of store. I usually know what I want going there so the customer service I expect is to get the paperwork done and get out as fast as possible.

DiogiDoc
10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
I just went into Oxnard start jail on a 10/22 take down last week. I had seen they had Saiga 7.62s for the Calgun special the previous week for $429. They were going on regular sale for $469 the next day. I ask the manager if he would give me the expired Calguns coupon price. He asked me to show me the coupon and then said sure. When the saleperson looked it up to DROS, the computer said it was $399 because of the opening sale and gave it to me for that price. I was tempted to buy several more at that point.

Since I already paid the DROS/transfer for the 10/22, I got a Saiga for $430 including tax out the door.

SemperFlexibus
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Turner's is ok for run of the mills stuff. The most gunsmith they'll do is boresight a scope.

Riflegear is good for higher end stuff. They have basic tools for ARs/AKs and could do basic builds.

OC Armory is great for custom stuff. They are great when it comes to out of state transfer/off roster gear. They can build you a silencer if you're allowed to have one...

it's great to have choices...

kapache
10-28-2012, 2:30 PM
Turners South Bay has really changed a lot(really good). I just wish their employees do get some sort of commission for their sales. The gentlemen that helped me purchase a gun for my wife today was really really helpful and patience.

Calzona
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Attitude. Generally speaking, Turner's is still filled with know-it-all, I'm too good to help you attitudes.

I have been to the Pasadena location quite a few times, even bought my first firearm there. Although I am not happy they wouldn't allow me to ship a weapon to them (because they sell a similar product) when it comes to their employees I have always found them to be be nice and knowledgeable.

Also the girls are nice to look at.

integraracer157
11-14-2012, 6:56 PM
I've bought a lot of guns from turners. The San Bernardino store is close to me. But every experience is horrible. But I know what I'm goin for and price. I even had a guy tell me they didn't have any dd parts kits. And there was 3 on the wall behind him. He told me that's not a parts kit. It took a manager to pick it up and give it to me. I'd like to think the other stores are much better. I'd hope at least. But I already know when I walk in that door I'm gonna wanna bang my head on counter. Like it was said in here. Do your research and go in knowing what you want. And forget about gun powder. They all look in the safe and tell me there out. And I can see them. Every time I find a good employee. They never stay long and ill be told they don't work there anymore. I hope they get the San Bernardino store better. I blame management for lack of training of employees.