PDA

View Full Version : I now have 2 leverguns! Pics coming!

pullnshoot25
07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
So I now have a .30-30 Marlin and a .44Mag Winchester Levergun and I want to reload for them both. This might be a silly question, but is there a powder that will work for both or is that just completely out of the question?

ar15barrels
07-08-2007, 2:21 PM
So I now have a .30-30 Marlin and a .44Mag Winchester Levergun and I want to reload for them both. This might be a silly question, but is there a powder that will work for both or is that just completely out of the question?

Perhaps Unique.
Even if you could use it for both, you would get MUCH better performance by choosing a powder that's appropriate for EACH cartridge rather than trying to find one that's a compromise for both.

pullnshoot25
07-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I was expecting that. Thanks for the help!

tteng
07-09-2007, 1:50 PM
For 100yrd-or-less target shooting only, I use Unique for my 44-40 Henry(full-load, 8gr behind 180gr FNMJ) and 30-cal C&R bolt-action rifles(reduce-load, 10gr behind 150gr FMJ).

StukaJr
07-09-2007, 2:57 PM

If you are the beginner - open your reloading manual, find a safe load for both calibers in lever action and see if one of the powders listed in both. :) Bullet weight determines the powder as much as the caliber - if you are trying to push a .44 Magnum bullet that's 100 grain heavier than a .30-30 bullet, then finding one powder for both tasks can be troublesome...

There is little need to stick to one powder - unless you are the bulk buyer. If you buy your ammo by 1lb containers, then that 1lb will not last you all that long, especially with case capacity of .30-30...

Spending all the time at the reloading press only to have sub-standard ammo is a waste - I usually try recommended powder for each caliber, even if my shelf is full of half empty powder containers.