PDA

View Full Version : Do you handle multiple guns before buying?

Sleighter
10-02-2012, 8:12 PM
Am I the only one that goes around and handles multiple firearms in a given class of firearms while you're making a buying decision? Please feel free to chime in with how you go about buying a firearm and let me know if I'm out of line. Usually before I spend money on (what I consider) higher ticket items I like to shop around, compare prices and ergos, get a feel for them and of course, research the crap out of them online.

I've noticed a trend though on CG about people's attitudes towards gun stores and the people that shop there. And it made me wonder if maybe I was in the wrong or only one of the few that handle multiple guns while deciding on what to buy. To give an example let me quote another member and his opinion on the matter.

... This was a big change from turners where you have to wait hrs to get any help. I noticed the customers that were in ammo bros knew exactly what they wanted and there wasn't a bunch of people asking retarded questions and consuming workers time while not buying a damn thing...

I didn't want to thread crap, so I'm starting my own! Do most people really only go into gun stores with their mind made up about what to buy? Or only when they are ready to close a deal? I probably go to my local shops 3 or 4 times before I finally "pull the trigger" on a deal and buy the gun I've been researching for months.

Now I understand that some people have more money than time and feel that this entitles them to walk in and buy something and walk out and that other people shouldn't "slow them down," but I've heard this thing multiple times on this and other forums. So what do YOU think & do?

Are you one of the guys that only handles a gun to buy it, or are you like me and handle multiple guns multiple times before finally making the deal? I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes.

ih8ca
10-02-2012, 8:16 PM
I just buy anything and everything I want. If I have money in my pocket its going for guns.

2shotjoe
10-02-2012, 8:18 PM
Last gun, Savage Axis, I looked at Model 70, rem 700 and savage 10. Only took me 2 years to pick out a new modern bolt gun. :D

Bangzoom
10-02-2012, 8:19 PM
depends....new.. i know what i want

a place that has alot of used guns I will look at whatever is in the class im looking for

JaeFern
10-02-2012, 8:19 PM
I always do a lot of online research before I narrow down the firearms I want. But, when I know I want it, I handle it and buy it. Never had any regrets buying... only selling.

AleksandreCz
10-02-2012, 8:52 PM
If I am buying a certain type of of a firearm but I am not sure on the brand lets say I want an ar I will handle every single one in my price range
but if i came just to buy a glock 17 no i just buy the glock 17

mosinnagantm9130
10-02-2012, 8:54 PM
I'll do a ton of research online before any purchase, but that usually only narrows it down to a couple of models. From there, I'll handle them, see which model feels the best.

Merc1138
10-02-2012, 9:06 PM
Am I the only one that goes around and handles multiple firearms in a given class of firearms while you're making a buying decision? Please feel free to chime in with how you go about buying a firearm and let me know if I'm out of line. Usually before I spend money on (what I consider) higher ticket items I like to shop around, compare prices and ergos, get a feel for them and of course, research the crap out of them online.

I've noticed a trend though on CG about people's attitudes towards gun stores and the people that shop there. And it made me wonder if maybe I was in the wrong or only one of the few that handle multiple guns while deciding on what to buy. To give an example let me quote another member and his opinion on the matter.

I didn't want to thread crap, so I'm starting my own! Do most people really only go into gun stores with their mind made up about what to buy? Or only when they are ready to close a deal? I probably go to my local shops 3 or 4 times before I finally "pull the trigger" on a deal and buy the gun I've been researching for months.

Now I understand that some people have more money than time and feel that this entitles them to walk in and buy something and walk out and that other people shouldn't "slow them down," but I've heard this thing multiple times on this and other forums. So what do YOU think & do?

Are you one of the guys that only handles a gun to buy it, or are you like me and handle multiple guns multiple times before finally making the deal? I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes.

You're confusing handling a gun in the shop, with someone asking retarded questions. There is a big difference between an employee showing someone a few different guns and answering questions about warranty, materials it's made with, etc., and an employee stuck answering "where does the clip go?" or "so which one shoots fo-tay?" and so on.

If you spend any amount of time in a gun shop and pay attention to the other customers, you'll understand what people are really complaining about.

JMP
10-02-2012, 9:28 PM
Yeah, I am an easy customer, I show up knowing exactly what I want. No need to try different crap out.

fighterpilot562
10-02-2012, 9:34 PM
When I show up, I know what I want and just handle that gun

Colt562
10-02-2012, 9:44 PM
1st Trip- Look and Handle (only if I see one that I have been researching for a while)
2nd Trip- Handle some more, ask any unanswered questions, put money on table.
3rd Trip- After Im almost dead because of waiting so long, show up to gun store about 30 minutes before pick up so I can look at more guns. Pick up new gun.

The cycle never ends.

chozenfew805
10-02-2012, 9:53 PM
I'll narrow it down based off my research online/LGS then handle the most similar model just to see it's differences currently my latest and not to get off topic just an example(IE....Remington 700 SPS Tactical and FNH USPALM Tactical Rifle)

bsg
10-02-2012, 9:58 PM
i have a short list and my money knows what it likes.

RoadKing
10-02-2012, 10:05 PM
If its a class of guns with a bunch of options, handle away! If I know exactly what I want I will shop for price and handle the one I am going to buy to check fit and function before I buy it.

Fishslayer
10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

My new guns I've always pretty much known exactly what I wanted. Used guns usually are something that catches my eye and fits a particular niche in my accumulation. I might compare a couple but usually there aren't more than 1 at a time that catches my interest.

An exception would be the time I walked into my LGS and he had 2 NIB rare 3rd Gen S&W .45 compact bottom feeders. One was a 4536 and the other was a 4596. VERY short production runs. I fiddled & futzed & fondled & generally made a nuisance of myself for days. Wound up with the 4536. I WANTED them both, of course...:(

Simply115
10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
It depends.

XVIga_Rob
10-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Last gun, Savage Axis, I looked at Model 70, rem 700 and savage 10. Only took me 2 years to pick out a new modern bolt gun. :D

Hahaha...I did the same. Was on the hunt for a synthetic stocked model. It was a Browning X-Bolt for me.
Then there was the 1911.....:rolleyes:

Wnick308
10-02-2012, 10:49 PM
I show up to feel to make sure it's what I want and the buy it right then and there.

LAKings22
10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I usually walk in when I have free time only to look around. If i don't have the cash in my pocket, I never waste the shops time making them take guns out the case. If I see something I like I usually give it a couple of days and if I still want it, i go back and get it. Meanwhile I do some research on the gun.

gti_20ae
10-03-2012, 12:06 AM
For me, if it is new, CA roster gun, I usually do some research on Calguns before purchase. If it is an used gun or consignment, I usually make the decision right on the spot, those guns usually don't wait for you (if price right).

NSR500
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Nope...

I usually know what I want and where it ranks on my list. I buy things in order of importance to me and eventually I own most of something in a category, so I don't need to try S*** out.

I Swan
10-03-2012, 5:28 AM
Window shoppers, tire kickers and dreamers can be annoying in the gun shop. Especially if you are at a small shop with only one person running it all.

joelberg
10-03-2012, 7:46 AM
I'll narrow it down based off my research online/LGS then handle the most similar model just to see it's differences currently my latest and not to get off topic just an example(IE....Remington 700 SPS Tactical and FNH USPALM Tactical Rifle)

This is exactly what I do. Find a few different weapons that are direct competitors of each other and handle each one. Figure which one feels the best to me and then pull the trigger on the one I feel is the best value to me.