PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Remington 870 police magnum?

Chameleon Loco
09-03-2012, 6:51 PM
I have mind mind set on one for my first shotgun. Owners of them where did you purchase yours from? I have asked many LGS and they all say that it its a specialty item. The main purpose of this shotgun will be for hd/shtf. Btw I am not looking for one with all the bells and whistles, my only requirement is a magazine extension I will probebly tinker with it later after I get used to it. Also I have heard of police departments auctioning off their old firearms, do they still do this and if so would this be a good place to get one?

Bobby Ricigliano
09-03-2012, 7:08 PM
The 870 is overbuilt compared with the Express (I.E. metal trigger guard instead of plastic, etc)

LE shops always have them, but they seem rare in public gun shops because they look externally identical to the Express and probably aren't hot sellers due to the increased price.

elSquid
09-03-2012, 7:19 PM
You can get one new from Buds or Davidsons or several other places...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/37_64_991/page/1/sort/6d

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Remington&mdlno=870+Police

Used? I've seen JK Supply get batches every now and again. No idea if they have any now.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=497112

-- Michael

P5Ret
09-03-2012, 7:46 PM
Also I have heard of police departments auctioning off their old firearms, do they still do this and if so would this be a good place to get one?

Agencies auctioning off firearms, that's a thing of the past. I don't think you'll find many that do in the California's political environment. Most places either scrap them or trade them in on whatever is going to be the next in line. Some of the bigger police supply business will have trade in shot guns from time to time. I know I have seen a couple around my area. Most however need major work. Keep in mind with shotguns in smaller departments they are secured in the cars 24/7, simply because they usually don't have some place to store them other than the cars.

Don the savage
09-03-2012, 8:08 PM
Try aippi. He will build exactly what you want. http://www.aiptactical.com/

phdo
09-03-2012, 8:40 PM
Tagged.

Chameleon Loco
09-03-2012, 8:49 PM
Try aippi. He will build exactly what you want. http://www.aiptactical.com/

Its just shipping and the FFL fees will kill me.

SarcoBlaster
09-03-2012, 10:00 PM
The 870 is overbuilt compared with the Express (I.E. metal trigger guard instead of plastic, etc)
I wouldn't say the 870P is overbuilt compared to the Express, but opinions are like AH's...

The metal guard isn't necessarily more durable than the plastic. There's a video on Ruger's (different manufacturer, but same concept) website that shows the durability of their plastic trigger guard vs. their old aluminum trigger guard. A weight was dropped from the same height onto the two trigger guards and the plastic one didn't break.

As far as the internal components of the 870P, I believe the only differences are a machined vs. MIM extractor and a stronger carrier dog follower spring. I think I spent about $20 for the machined extractor and stronger spring from Brownells and about 10 minutes installing both items in my 870 Express.

Having owned both, I feel that the smarter buy is the Express and the two previously mentioned parts from Brownells that makes it internally identical to the 870P.

bsg
09-04-2012, 2:04 AM
i walked into Gunrunners a few years ago to browse around on my lunch break. they happened to have a pair of new 870Ps in stock, and i bought one.

i don't often see an 870P at a LGS in my neck of the woods

deviljon
09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't say the 870P is overbuilt compared to the Express, but opinions are like AH's...

The metal guard isn't necessarily more durable than the plastic. There's a video on Ruger's (different manufacturer, but same concept) website that shows the durability of their plastic trigger guard vs. their old aluminum trigger guard. A weight was dropped from the same height onto the two trigger guards and the plastic one didn't break.

As far as the internal components of the 870P, I believe the only differences are a machined vs. MIM extractor and a stronger carrier dog follower spring. I think I spent about $20 for the machined extractor and stronger spring from Brownells and about 10 minutes installing both items in my 870 Express.

Having owned both, I feel that the smarter buy is the Express and the two previously mentioned parts from Brownells that makes it internally identical to the 870P.

Links to said upgrades?

I just picked up a used 870 Express in mint condition.

Marinos
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I have a 870 Marine Magnum. It is the most reliable shotgun I've ever owned and they are a breeze to clean.

phdo
09-05-2012, 9:38 PM
I have a 870 Marine Magnum. It is the most reliable shotgun I've ever owned and they are a breeze to clean.

Sell it to me.

Mesa Tactical
09-06-2012, 7:01 AM
If you can afford it, the Parkerized (manganese phosphate) finish of the Police guns alone makes them worth the extra money. And the last time I bought one it came with walnut furniture. I love my Police 870, it really stands out from the rest of the collection (except the old Wingmasters we have).

But in terms of practicality, there's no reason to spend the money beyond what you get with the Express. It is essentially the same shotgun.

Sicarius
09-06-2012, 8:07 AM
I purchased a police trade in last year and I payed about 280. One of the venders in the commercial goods had a bunch of them. The finish was a tad worn and the walnut sock had a couple scratches but I figured it was broken in at that point and not shot very much. Great gun and I like it a lot more than my 590 a1.
Kevin

jyo
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't forget the for sale threads right here on CalGuns---lots of deals on good clean guns right here! Oh, and don't get to concerned about asking prices---only SELLING prices count!

Marinos
09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Sell it to me.

I can't. It's one of my favorites in my collection.

Function
09-30-2012, 3:38 PM
I purchased mine from California Police Equipment here in San Deigo. They are a public gun store who sells to everyone. I think I overpaid for it, but I don't ever plan on getting rid of it. When I picked it up (last January I think) the clerk told me that they always have them in stock. I got the simplest model I could (bead sight, traditional grip, plastic furniture) but they had every model in stock. Good Luck

Dreaded Claymore
09-30-2012, 4:24 PM

LE shops always have them, but they seem rare in public gun shops because they look externally identical to the Express and probably aren't hot sellers due to the increased price.

Watch out, though, the Express is not finished well, and kinda prone to corrosion.

sephy
09-30-2012, 6:37 PM
I got mine on gunbroker. At the time I shopped around and it was the best deal.