PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr: AIM Not Shipping Ammo To Oakland!!!

oaklander
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Just found out that AIM Surplus won't ship ammo to Oakland - appears to be a new policy. The salesperson was vague -- but appears to be related to some sort of litigation with the city (that other ammo companies may be involved with).

Does anyone know about this litigation???

Outlaw Josey Wales
06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I know that last year all Walmart's in Alameda County stopped selling ammo and shipped their stock to stores in outlying areas. One of the sales people told me it was due to some new regulation that passed.

ocabj
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
In the words of DJ Quik, "Oakland is just like Compton."

oaklander
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Probably something to do with this guy:

http://oaklandnet.com/government/council/coun_mem/HenryChang/major_int.html

af240z
06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
yeah, they won't ship to LA, SF, Oakland, per city policies.

bwiese
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Damn, we need Calguns regional ammo depot centers in areas near Bay Area and LA.

Order your bulk ammo drop shipped to a center within driving distance of your residence or work that is not in a 'prohibited area' for a small fee for 'freight acceptance'. Some Calgunner with an existing biz structure could help...

oaklander
06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm going to vote with my wallet!

If certain online vendors are unwilling to send ammo to Oaktown, there are certainly others out there who will (but I'm not naming names in this thread).

All I could find online was a local statute requiring records be kept of ammo purchasers (unclear as to whether it applies to mail order, IMHO), and reference to another local statute adding some taxes to ammo sales in the city. Again, I'm not clear if it applies to mail order (or even if it could!).

:D

mblat
06-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Damn, we need Calguns regional ammo depot centers in areas near Bay Area and LA.

Order your bulk ammo drop shipped to a center within driving distance of your residence or work that is not in a 'prohibited area' for a small fee for 'freight acceptance'. Some Calgunner with an existing biz structure could help...

Here we go. I'll talk to some of my friends - may be we can setup something in LA/SFV area.

paradox
06-13-2007, 12:14 PM

We need a CalGuns Arms&Ammo Company, owned and operated by CalGunners for California gun owners and shooters. With the proper FFLs, we could quickly bring to market innovative, Cali-focused designs like the Blackstar, as well as running an ammo import/manufacturing/sales business. It could be a private arms and ammo manufacturer with only CalGuns senior members eligible to buy shares :D

gunsnrovers
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I buy my ammo from Outdoor Marksmen/Miwall. No problems shipping to LA.

AIM can kiss my butt.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
06-13-2007, 1:26 PM
Great Idea Bill.
Where's ammo warehouse in nor cal going to be set up?

fairfaxjim
06-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Great Idea Bill.
Where's ammo warehouse in nor cal going to be set up?

How about your garage? Mine's too full of ammo already.

jdberger
06-14-2007, 10:35 PM
I've been wanting to buy a warehouse for some time....

Tweak338
06-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I've been wanting to buy a warehouse for some time....

For a calguns indoor range / ammo depot?

jdberger
06-14-2007, 10:54 PM
For a calguns indoor range / ammo depot?

I can think of all kinds of things to store there, but an indoor range would be out of the question. Too much paperwork. Maybe for air rifles or such....

Wouldn't it be fun to see a pallet of ammo come in through the door?

shinigami
06-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Oaklander, I'm in El Cerrito, drop it off at my place, then pick it up! :D

Creeping Incrementalism
09-30-2007, 5:04 PM
Why won't they ship to Napa, Ventura, and Yolo counties (see image below)?

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/pdd/aim surplus policy.JPG

M. Sage
09-30-2007, 5:11 PM
Why won't they ship to Napa, Ventura, and Yolo counties (see image below)?

Ahh, it's gotta be that ammo record thing Oaklander mentioned. IIRC, those counties have measures like that - I know Napa does - though I don't see how they could apply to mail-order, especially across state lines...

That sucks... I always counted AIM as one of the "good guys" vendors. Oh, well. Another vendor that's not going to get a dime from me.

oaklander
09-30-2007, 9:38 PM
*This* is where I get my ammo now:

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|477

$87 for 500 rounds of AK softpoint - and it's good stuff (Barnaul - same as Brown Bear).

:D

ar15barrels
09-30-2007, 11:13 PM
$87 for 500 rounds of AK softpoint - and it's good stuff (Barnaul - same as Brown Bear).

Perhaps "good stuff" is a relative term.
If it's not brass cased and boxer primed, I don't consider it "good stuff"

I guess AK's have lower quality requirements.

Matt777
10-01-2007, 2:58 PM
Probably something to do with this guy:

http://oaklandnet.com/government/council/coun_mem/HenryChang/major_int.html

What a horrible person. I got about halfway through his "accomplishments" before I wanted to throw up.

M. Sage
10-01-2007, 6:34 PM
Perhaps "good stuff" is a relative term.
If it's not brass cased and boxer primed, I don't consider it "good stuff"

I guess AK's have lower quality requirements.

Does it go "bang?" Does it feed reliably? If yes - good stuff. :D

Kinda like Mosins... my Mosin seems to like the cheapest crap I can find.