PDA

View Full Version : M44 Feeding issues, mag spring issue?

Greenspartan117
06-07-2007, 8:36 PM
I have an interesting problem. Every once in a while AS I am pushing the bolt forward on my M44 right after ejecting an empty casing, the gan fails to feed sort of. As the bolt goes forward and makes contact with the bullet, the bullet tilts downward into the magazine, and as I pull the bolt back again the casing pops back up and I can load the chamber easily. Is it the mag sping on top?

Thanks guys.

here's the pics since it's best to see things rather than just read about it :-)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/greenspartan117/IMGP1095.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/greenspartan117/IMGP1094.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/greenspartan117/IMGP1092.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t66/greenspartan117/IMGP1091.jpg

hybridatsun350
06-07-2007, 9:55 PM
If your sure they aren't rim locking than it is probably the top spring in the mag. Simple enough to fix. :)

Greenspartan117
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
If your sure they aren't rim locking than it is probably the top spring in the mag. Simple enough to fix. :)

Rim locking? well when i push forward in the bolt, the Snap Cap just pivots down, and the rim looks like it is either catching on the "ejector" item #12 on Century's part list. If i push hard enough I will hear an adible click and then pull the bolt back an the bullet will be high than it was before and feed properly.

hybridatsun350
06-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Rim lock is when a cartridge's rim catches on the rim of the case below. If you don't load rimmed ammo into the magazine properly it will rim lock. You have to put each cartridge in so the rim of the top cartridge is in front of the one below it.

Greenspartan117
06-08-2007, 2:00 PM
Rim lock is when a cartridge's rim catches on the rim of the case below. If you don't load rimmed ammo into the magazine properly it will rim lock. You have to put each cartridge in so the rim of the top cartridge is in front of the one below it.

Hmm alright, thanks I'll double check the position of each round, using snap caps is really helpful :-P

Fate
06-08-2007, 2:40 PM

Mosin's are not Enfields. The need to stagger load the cartridges is negated in the Mosin design due to the interruptor. The interruptor is the piece that hangs down into the magazine and separates the next round to be loaded from all of the others in the magazine well.

You just need to disassemble your rifle and really clean out (or possibly replace) the interruptor and your rifle should behave. Rich Reich has them if needed (gunboards.com's trader has his contact info stickied), but it could be as simple as a glob of cosmoline and some debris causing the problem.

hybridatsun350
06-08-2007, 2:57 PM
Mosin's are not Enfields. The need to stagger load the cartridges is negated in the Mosin design due to the interruptor. The interruptor is the piece that hangs down into the magazine and separates the next round to be loaded from all of the others in the magazine well.

You just need to disassemble your rifle and really clean out (or possibly replace) the interruptor and your rifle should behave. Rich Reich has them if needed (gunboards.com's trader has his contact info stickied), but it could be as simple as a glob of cosmoline and some debris causing the problem.

I just came on here to correct myself, but I see you already have!:)

I was just playing with my M44 and I realized that it is impossible to put the bullets in wrong. The Russian's really did make these things idiot proof! Just thought I would admit to my mistake, haha!:o

Greenspartan117
06-08-2007, 3:07 PM

It might be the interruptor as the magazine and all the internals are pristine and there was not cosmo anywhere save for a few spec. I bought two magazine assemblies for a build of a tactical 91/30, don't worry no mosin's were harmed and they are spare arsenal recievers and barrels that ajax is selling. I'll have a look at the interruptor though. thanks for the help.

Fate
06-08-2007, 3:12 PM
The interruptor is connected with a screw to the receiver, not the magazine. You'll see it when you take it apart.

Morales
06-09-2007, 6:27 PM
I've found that my Mosin-Nagant derivitives tend to feed inconsistantly. For example my Hungarian ball feeds great in one of my 91/3's and in my M44, but poorly in another. Then, certain handloads don't feed right in the M44 but just fine in the 91/30s. Also, I have the same snap caps that you have in that picture, and they don't feed perfectly in anything but my M44. Eventually, you'll find rounds that feed right, but you have to test with the actual rounds, that's what I had to do.