PDA

View Full Version : Is a knoxx axiom v/s rifle stock illegal in cali?

boro62
06-06-2007, 4:16 PM
Well my friend was looking for a bolt action rifle and decided he like the Howa M-1500 W' 24" barrel in .308 with the Knoxx Axiom V/S rifle stock. But when he called a gun shop here in so. cal, he was told the telescopic stock would turn the rifle into a "tactical sniper" and was then illegal in the state of california?

When he told me about this, i told him i'm pretty sure that the guy at the gun store was feeding him BS? Just wondering if anyone knows what the guy at the gun shop was talking about? or if it was just a non-informed BS?

Here's a link to the stock in question:

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/SpecOpsSniper.html

proraptor
06-06-2007, 4:18 PM
Thats BS.....If the rifle is bolt action you can add anything you want

Fjold
06-06-2007, 4:18 PM
The gun shop employee who told him that rode the short bus to school.

wildcard
06-06-2007, 4:22 PM
Nothing illegal about it on a bolt action rifle. Give us your location and i'm sure somebody can point you to a more knowledgeable gun shop to get you taken care of.

RacefacE
06-06-2007, 4:24 PM
You gotta love the stuff these guys come up with. "Tactical Sniper", that's awesome. I had a similar experience at Northbay Firearms with regards to a pump action shotgun and the legality of a folding stock. I was told they couldn't get overfolding stocks because it makes it an assault weapon, but side folders are ok...

soopafly
06-06-2007, 4:38 PM
It really amazes me, sometimes, how much mis-information is out there. More DOJ spreading FUD, perhaps?

boro62
06-06-2007, 4:47 PM
Nothing illegal about it on a bolt action rifle. Give us your location and i'm sure somebody can point you to a more knowledgeable gun shop to get you taken care of.

I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere within an hour driving of LA.

Surveyor
06-06-2007, 4:47 PM
I think it's a matter of some gun shop commando hearing a line of hyped up BS, and then wanting to be the first person to tell you about it. They can't be slowed down by the facts, you see...

mltrading
06-07-2007, 2:39 PM
It's totally BS!!! :icon_bs:Your rifle is bolt-action. The feature ban does not include bolt action rifles.

WTF "Tactical Sniper" is? It's brand new to me!!! :dots:

Sniper3142
06-07-2007, 9:11 PM
Yes... It is TOTALLY Legal in California.

But... Why in the world would anyone want to put one of these on a rifle meant for accuracy?!?

:(

Charliegone
06-07-2007, 9:27 PM
"Tactical Sniper" Rifle capable of penetrating 20 inches (eve if it's a .22lr) of steel and blowing up planes from a mile away!...man didn't know a stock could do all that! I gotta get one of those!:eek:

Teletiger7
06-10-2007, 6:26 PM
Not only is it legal i saw one for sale at Turner's. A sniper rifle with axiom stock.

CSDGuy
06-10-2007, 6:43 PM
Even though it is a bolt action rifle, you still got to make sure that the OAL of the rifle with the stock collapsed matches or is longer than what is required by law (CA and Fed) and the barrel is long enough that it can't be classified as a SBR based on barrel length... Other than that... I see nothing wrong with tacticooling out your rifle! Sounds like a really fun project!

tenpercentfirearms
06-10-2007, 9:13 PM
Customers are so dumb. They hear what they want to hear. What I told you over the phone is that it was a "tactical sniper assault weapon". Get your story straight.

Don't listen to these Internet Commandos. Like I told you over the phone, this rifle is illegal. Hell, these fools think AR15s are legal again. They are all going to jail, do you want to go to jail too?

If you don't, donate some money to the Madison Society, they can protect you.

ts
06-10-2007, 9:53 PM
Why is it that 90% of the posts on here of misinformation come from gun shop owners? I have had my fair, such as bullet proof vest are illegal, it is illegal to assemble an AR-15 for someone (from a registered receiver) - even in other states they feed you BS. I would imagine if you did not know the answer to a question you would just say, "I don't know".

Personally I rather not have the information then give someone the wrong information.

I doubt it has anything to do with the DOJ - they aren't that creative. Maybe it has something to do with liability, but at the same time - the simple answer of, "I do not know" would cover there behinds just fine.

CSACANNONEER
06-10-2007, 10:03 PM
I heard that using this stock turns your rifle into a surpressed FA that never needs to be reloaded. Oh yea, it also gives it the ability to shoot GPS guided ammo or use the special disinegrating laser beam attachment.

1064chubbs
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Customers are so dumb. They hear what they want to hear. What I told you over the phone is that it was a "tactical sniper assault weapon". Get your story straight.

Don't listen to these Internet Commandos. Like I told you over the phone, this rifle is illegal. Hell, these fools think AR15s are legal again. They are all going to jail, do you want to go to jail too?

I think thats why the calguns site says non of the stuff posted should be taken as legal advice.

ts
06-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Uhm, Maybe I missed out on something or complete don't understand what's happening but did you just rag on many of your major customers?

leelaw
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
"Tactical sniper"

http://jobrelatedstuff.com/images/smilies/anim_rofl2.gif

leelaw
06-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Uhm, Maybe I missed out on something or complete don't understand what's happening but did you just rag on many of your major customers?

Psst.. That post set off my sarcasm-o-meter.. yours might be broken ;)

tiger222
06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
must be friends with moe & ron.....

Sniper3142
06-11-2007, 5:02 PM

Don't listen to these Internet Commandos. Like I told you over the phone, this rifle is illegal.

Are you saying a pistol gripped, folding, or collapsable stock on a BOLT ACTION centerfire rifle makes it illegal?!?!

I call total B.S. if that is what you are saying! :(

Fjold
06-11-2007, 5:28 PM
Are you saying a pistol gripped, folding, or collapsable stock on a BOLT ACTION centerfire rifle makes it illegal?!?!

I call total B.S. if that is what you are saying! :(

He's joking! Wes doesn't know how to use the smilleys yet.

He's a public school teacher so we have to lead him around to make sure he doesn't hurt himself.

:jump:

Sniper3142
06-11-2007, 6:48 PM
He's joking! Wes doesn't know how to use the smilleys yet.

He's a public school teacher so we have to lead him around to make sure he doesn't hurt himself.

:jump:

Oh...

Okay....

DUH!!!!

:) :( :)

tenpercentfirearms
06-11-2007, 6:58 PM
Yes, I was being sarcastic.

dustyboots
06-11-2007, 8:24 PM
Hmm, I was thinking all pistol grip or thumb-hole stocks were considered "evil" on all rifles... shotguns too for that matter.

Are there special rules for bolt action rifles? Or is it just auto-loading rifles that are so much restricted, and all other actions are open to pretty much anything that meets Fed regulations?

What about rim-fire? Since my Marlin 60 came with a 14-round tube I'm sure the rim-fire rules are different yet again. I'm thinking a Druganov stock would suit that gun, would that be legal?

And while I'm at it, would John Machtinger's "How to own a gun" book help me out with these types of issues?

socalguns
06-11-2007, 10:58 PM
You can't judge anything by the size of bus alone, not even in california

ts
06-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Psst.. That post set off my sarcasm-o-meter.. yours might be broken ;)

That is exactly why I put in the request for more smilies!!!!:D

Spiggy
06-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Hmm, I was thinking all pistol grip or thumb-hole stocks were considered "evil" on all rifles... shotguns too for that matter.

Are there special rules for bolt action rifles? Or is it just auto-loading rifles that are so much restricted, and all other actions are open to pretty much anything that meets Fed regulations?

What about rim-fire? Since my Marlin 60 came with a 14-round tube I'm sure the rim-fire rules are different yet again. I'm thinking a Druganov stock would suit that gun, would that be legal?

And while I'm at it, would John Machtinger's "How to own a gun" book help me out with these types of issues?
Please refer to the evil features list, SB23
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.php?PHPSESSID=0fe01c9e5a5d3276489987b31ae e1afe

No need to buy any books. This forum is a big wad of free information, the little search button does wonders if you have specific questions.