PDA

View Full Version : I need a good hunting rifle.

Shellshocker66
07-13-2012, 12:56 PM
So now that I'm up somewhere close to great hunting areas, I would like to pick up a new rifle.

Been years since I owned a dedicated hunting rifle for deer. But I would like to get something just big enough for elk as well.

I'm short, female, but not scared of a big gun. Just need something that my arm length will fit (I'm 5'3").

Was thinking of trying a different caliber then 30-06, and would like to stay around the $500-$700 range.

Would love to hear some opinions!

Thanks!

Colt562
07-13-2012, 1:00 PM
look at the ruger American rifle. I am a firm believer of this rifle, it's very light, accurate and super affordable. I have one in 308 and absolutely love it

SDgarrick
07-13-2012, 1:02 PM
I have a friend of your stature that loves his .243 some would argue though that it's a minimum caliber and not appropriate for elk. you might want to check out the 7mm, it was initially designed to offer the power of the 30-06, with a flatter trajectory, but with ''not more'' recoil.

Also alot of rifles recoil can be mitigated with a muzzle break, but it makes the weapon much louder and I know some folks hunt with no hearing protection. Good Luck!

Cowboy T
07-13-2012, 1:03 PM
Fortunately, you don't need to stay in the $500-$700 price range for a good hunting rifle. I'm actually going to suggest you consider the Mosin-Nagant M91/30, specifically because it sounds like it meets your stated needs.

1.) You're 5'3". The greatest sniper in the world, Simo Hayha of Finland, was also 5'3" and used a variant of this rifle to nail enemy targets at 400+ meters. He stated that the Mosin was his choice specifically because its shorter length of pull fit his smaller frame very well. That helped his accuracy.

2.) It's a .30-cal rifle (7.62x54R) mid-way in power between .308 Win and .30-06. Milsurp ammo remains cheap and plentiful. This round is in fact used to take elk.

3.) The rifle is $100. And yes, it does shoot very well. The reason it's so inexpensive is that Russia's currently selling them by the C-5 Galaxy-load.

If this idea isn't to your liking, then you might also consider a Savage Model 10 in .308 Winchester. Recent Savages are known both for their accuracy and for the excellent AccuTrigger.

Shellshocker66
07-13-2012, 1:09 PM
Fortunately, you don't need to stay in the $500-$700 price range for a good hunting rifle. I'm actually going to suggest you consider the Mosin-Nagant M91/30, specifically because it sounds like it meets your stated needs.

1.) You're 5'3". The greatest sniper in the world, Simo Hayha of Finland, was also 5'3" and used a variant of this rifle to nail enemy targets at 400+ meters. He stated that the Mosin was his choice specifically because its shorter length of pull fit his smaller frame very well. That helped his accuracy.

2.) It's a .30-cal rifle (7.62x54R) mid-way in power between .308 Win and .30-06. Milsurp ammo remains cheap and plentiful. This round is in fact used to take elk.

3.) The rifle is $100. And yes, it does shoot very well. The reason it's so inexpensive is that Russia's currently selling them by the C-5 Galaxy-load.

If this idea isn't to your liking, then you might also consider a Savage Model 10 in .308 Winchester.

I actually thought of picking up another Mosin, and doing a bubba job with a new stock and mounting a scope. I love the commie guns and have always been a very good shot with them.

I just know myself and I would procrastinate and not want to butcher it up. But looking into a conversion stock.

newglockster
07-13-2012, 1:17 PM
weatherby vanguard in .270 would be a great option IMO

Richard Erichsen
07-13-2012, 1:49 PM
So now that I'm up somewhere close to great hunting areas, I would like to pick up a new rifle.

Been years since I owned a dedicated hunting rifle for deer. But I would like to get something just big enough for elk as well.

I'm short, female, but not scared of a big gun. Just need something that my arm length will fit (I'm 5'3").

Was thinking of trying a different caliber then 30-06, and would like to stay around the $500-$700 range.

Would love to hear some opinions!

Thanks!

What sort of critters and at what sort of distance are you planning to hunt? Is this a first hunting rifle as the post would suggest?

R

Fjold
07-13-2012, 5:21 PM
What's your reciol tolerence? What are you used to shooting? Not that you can't learn to shoot anything but I don't recommend the 577 T-Rex for beginners.

You mentioned big enough for Elk but are you going to hunt in open range or in the black timbers?

Are you going to back pack hunt or road hunt?

Manolito
07-13-2012, 5:32 PM
I was a died in the wool 30-06 hunter and never looked outside that caliber. For 11 years I put in for antelope and finally got drawn. The wife bought me a 7mm mag and at 100 yards not a lot of difference but from 100 to 300 the 7mm is pretty flat shooting.

Glad to see you hunting I just had my wife renew her ccw last month and she is thinking of hunting. I took her duck hunting and sitting in a blind in a snow storm ended that idea. I will keep trying and show her your post.

Bill

TMC
07-13-2012, 5:37 PM
30-06 is a great caliber. There are well over 100 commercially available loadings with bullets weights from 110 to 220 grains. There's not much you can't take with in.

MongooseV8
07-13-2012, 5:42 PM
I suggest a Savage or a Tikka. 300 Win Mag is my choice but a 7mm Mag or 7mm-08 would also be great calibers for you to look into.

toby
07-13-2012, 5:59 PM
Dollar for dollar you cant beat a Weatherby vanguard.

Richard Erichsen
07-13-2012, 6:19 PM
The '06 (.30-06) is the standard, tried and true American .30 cal and while it will take any 4 legged critter in the lower 48 (with good shot placement and ethical ranges, that include Moose), it's not the end all, be all caliber. When in doubt, .30-06, though just as often .308 Winchester is substituted. In commercial loads, they are nearly identical in performance up to projectiles that are a bit too heavy to be practical in .308 (such as the 220 grain soft points).

Lighter calibers are adequate on deer sized game, if that's what you are after, and the smaller blacktails here in CA along with most mule deer species. Plenty of folks hunt with the .223 out this side of the Rockies and most of the game animals are small enough there is good reason for that. The .243 Winchester, .260 Remington and 7mm-08 and .270 are lighter bucking, flatter shooting and fairly available options that won't cost very much to shoot. In order of popularity/availability, the .243 followed by the .270, then the 7mm-08, then the .260 Remington which is a relative newcomer. The .260 is intended to replicate the mild manners of the Swedish 6.5x55 mm in a short action rifle with the .308 Winchester as the parent case, just like the .243 and 7mm-08 previously mentioned. .270 is a necked down .30-06 using lighter 6.8mm bullets.

7mm-08 or .270 are about as light as I'd be willing to go for elk hunting, but if you don't plan to hunt critters of that size in the great North, that's probably not a significant consideration. The Scandinavians regularly take game of that size with smaller calibers to avoid destruction of meat and to tame recoil.

For bigger critters, I would prefer the .358 Winchester, or the .35 Whelen, unpopular as those calibers are. They are .35 cals necked up from the .308 and .30-06 respectively. Note that I don't include a single magnum. I wouldn't buy a big bore as a first rifle and the criterion to justify a magnum are even smaller. There is a role for magnums, but it should come later (if at all).

If you mostly want to hunt on the Western/Southern end of the country (like right here in Cali) then the .243, 7mm-08, .270 and .260 will serve your needs very well indeed. Of course, you could just buy the .30-06, accept a little more recoil for your troubles and be just fine as well. Any of these calibers would make a fine foundation for what might become a hunting rifle collection.

R

Richard Erichsen
07-13-2012, 6:26 PM
Dollar for dollar you cant beat a Weatherby vanguard.

The Vanguard is a great rifle. If Howa is still making their actions, then the Howa 1500 should be a choice as well.

R

Richard Erichsen
07-13-2012, 6:27 PM
I suggest a Savage or a Tikka. 300 Win Mag is my choice but a 7mm Mag or 7mm-08 would also be great calibers for you to look into.

Tikka T3 is a nice bit of rifle. I wouldn't turn one down if it came up for sale in 7mm-08. I mostly buy em used. ;)

R

therealnickb
07-13-2012, 6:33 PM
There is a new Savage Lady Hunter model you might want to check out.

chrisf
07-13-2012, 6:42 PM

If this idea isn't to your liking, then you might also consider a Savage Model 10 in .308 Winchester. Recent Savages are known both for their accuracy and for the excellent AccuTrigger.
That would be a good idea IMO. I am in the process of bulding one up just for hunting. I'm all done, Im just waiting for the stock which should hopefully be here tomorrow.

sholling
07-13-2012, 6:57 PM
There are several rifles available for smaller statured folk. As someone suggested the Savage Lady Hunter (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78089/Savage+11+LADY+HNTR+308) and Howa (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/16268/Howa+1500+Ultralight+Youth+.308+Black+with+3-9x42+Scope) and Weatherby Vanguard (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61275/Weatherby+Vanguard+YOUTH+308) youth models are available in several calipers. The youth models have a 12-1/2" length of pull (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/how-measure-your-length-pull-5551/) vs a 13-1/2" for an adult stock. All of the above are designed for use with a scope. The thing to do is find a local gunshop and see what fits you.

Shellshocker66
07-13-2012, 7:08 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'm up in Oregon now and we do have a fairly decent herd of deer and elk around these parts. I'm very lucky to have met a friend who has 51 acres of land that butts up against BLM/Forestry land. So I would be hunting in thick woods. Figure I could park there and if I got lucky could go back and borrow a horse and I wouldn't have to go that far!

Looking at doing a sporterized job on a Mosin, or one of the lady/youth models. My last hunting rifle was a .30-06 and I did fine with the recoil, just would like something different this go around.

Crunch130
07-13-2012, 7:28 PM
Savage 110-series bolt action in .260 Remington.

Crunch

0331Marine
07-13-2012, 7:55 PM
weatherby vanguard in .270 would be a great option IMO

Great gun, I have had mine for over 10 years.

kakinuma-kun
07-14-2012, 10:02 AM
First of all, in the .30-'06, you already have the best all-around deer/elk rifle ever with factory cartridges in everything from 150 to 220 grains available.

But as you feel like getting a new rifle and will be hunting in the thick woods, given your need for shorter length of pull etc., I would recommend the Ruger No. 1-A Light Sporter in .35 Whelen with a 13.5-inch length of pull and 22-inch barrel weighing in at 6.75 pounds.

It is a petite rifle that is a dream to carry and is a natural pointer with its shorter barrel. In the .35 Whelen it is a super dark woods gun and, despite its light weight, features very reasonable recoil.

Ruger does the .35 Whelen in limited runs from time to time, but you can see some available now on Gunbroker.com and you may find one at a local gun store.

Ross
07-14-2012, 1:29 PM
Remington 700 BDL .270 cal with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope.

Would use the 30.06 for elk, if you still have it.

Ishooter
07-14-2012, 2:05 PM
It sounds like you have a budget and a recoil factor in mind. I'd say a .308 caliber will fulfill what you need. .308 ammo is typically cheaper than many other calibers in a similar power house range. While the ammo is more affordable, you can shoot more with it and get better shot on the range, while it still has enough power to take down big games. Its recoil isn't that bad at all. Women shoot it all the times. The rifles in .308 are plenty. They can be found in most bolt action rifle makers. The affordable and good brands are CZ, Ruger, Howa, and Savage.

Check on www.turners.com weekly. They have sales every Thursday. Be patient, and you'll find 1 rifle that can be at least $50 cheaper than regular price.