PDA

View Full Version : S&W 14-4

timmyb21
07-12-2012, 9:10 PM
So I have this pistol...

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k246/timb117/20120712_215702.jpg

It's been in my safe for years and I never shoot it. I never have, just due to the rust on it. I tried to clean it up, but the rust on the aftermarket barrel is pretty pitted. it's on the end of the barrel, and the original s&w stuff is actually in great shape. I've looked for replacement barrels and rear sights but since the gun isn't in production it's tough to find. my question is should I clean it up, get as much rust off as I can, and shoot it? Continue my search for the correct parts to make it like factory (my personal preference)? Should I sell it to someone who wants a former bullseye gun as is? It was built in 1980 (checked with s&w) and has a SWEEEEEEETTT single action trigger, I'd be surprised if the break was much more than two pounds, closer to one pound I'd guess. Advice please!

jakuda
07-12-2012, 11:22 PM
You should hang onto it as is, or sell it to a bullseye shooter, although most shooters won't compete with a revolver in the centerfire portion. It's also not legal for Distinguished Revolver matches. Maybe it could be used in PPC matches. If it was, the double action on the revolver must also be really light and smooth.

If it was used in bullseye matches, the trigger pull would be 2.5lbs or higher.

Shoot it and have fun with it.

MrExel17
07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
I say keep it too, when funds allow fix her up a bit!

Gryff
07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
That's a custom PPC revolver. Any markings on it to identify what gunsmith did the work?

Bill Davis was a major PPC gunsmith in 70s and 80s, and located in Sacramento, so it's possibly one of his guns. If so, there's value in it for that reason.

If you want it for just shooting, consider not taking it back to stock. As it is, it will make a magnificent range gun that should be laser accurate.

BTW, you talk about there being rust on the end of the barrel. Is it IN the barrel or on the outside? Obviously, if it is only external, then there should be no problem with shooting the gun.

timmyb21
07-13-2012, 5:17 AM
What and where should I look for on these custom shop markings? I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary. The rust is all on the outside, the barrel is clean.

timmyb21
07-13-2012, 7:31 PM
Another question. Do any of you Smith and Wesson gurus know if a model 10 barrel would fit on this here model 14? A factory barrel seems to be impossible to track down.

Revoman
07-13-2012, 8:03 PM
Why not just clean it up and have it re-blued? If the interior of the barrel is good, just make the outside purdier.

I think that since both the 14 and 10 are K frame revolvers and they are both 38 cal, the barrels should interchange, but i"m not 100% on that so I will leave the answer to the real experts here.