PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an M39

Mortarion
07-12-2012, 8:28 PM
As some of you may have seen, I just got two brand new M39s. Now that I have to wait my 10 days >.< I've been looking at things I need. I know I should get Hoppes #9, but how do I clean my gun with it? Anyone know what kind of brushes and rods I should get? And what do I coat my gun parts with so that they won't rust?

kris smith
07-12-2012, 9:20 PM
Get an Otis cleaning kit for all guns and use the solvent to regularly clean and the hoppes to lube. Bada bing bada boom that's how I clean all my guns or use Rem oil as lube. But your most likely gunna have to clean Cosmo out of every thing take all the wood off and bake it in the oven use a heat gun or a trash bag and a hot day to boil it out. Use brake clean solvent tank kerosene diesel or gasoline to spas metal parts in to remove it clean after wards and lube

Kappy
07-12-2012, 9:38 PM
OK... so I shoot spam... once in a while. I think my M39 had about 20 rounds of spam through it today... and read this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=594850) before you shoot spam.

So cleaning? If you're shooting corrosive ammo (and I believe everything except what I hand build is corrosive), you're going to want to start with some ammonia-based cleaner. Real Windex (they make a kind now which isn't ammonia... check that it actually says "ammonia") is great. Spray it down the barrel, spritz it in the chamber, the inside of the action, and especially the bolt face. Don't get it on the stock... I doubt it's good for the finish of your Finnish.

I go a somewhat expensive cleaning route. I use a Dewey cleaning rod (about $36 which will last your whole life) and some cutable patches. Any regular brass brush will do. A mop might be nice. The Dewey rod comes with a great brass jag.

For cleaning stuff, after the Windex, I use some Shooter's Choice, followed by Hoppes 9.

Then... run a boresnake through it to get out anything else and you should be good.

Oh... a bit of lube? Some folks use motor oil or M1 grease on the lugs. I don't lube the inside of the barrel... you're just going to shoot it out the next visit to the range, but if you aren't going to the range for a long time... use some Rem Oil or a similar item.

paul0660
07-12-2012, 9:42 PM
Brown Bear is not spam.

Kappy
07-12-2012, 9:49 PM
Brown Bear is not spam.

Wait... you're right. I guess it wasn't Brown Bear? I'll take a look at the headstamp when I get to the garage tomorrow. Of course, that's the least important part of the story. It can happen with any ammo.

Lone_Gunman
07-12-2012, 9:58 PM
Where did you get 2 brand new M39s and how much were they?

Kappy
07-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Where did you get 2 brand new M39s and how much were they?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=594681
$460 and $410. One was unissued?

Lone_Gunman
07-12-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=594681
$460 and $410. One was unissued?

I really want an M39, but I just don't have that kind of coin right now. :o

Mortarion
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah one was unissued. So will I need like a brass or nylon brush? Because they aren't very expensive and I think it would be a good idea to brush down the inside, since I'm probably going to shoot a lot of surplus.

Kappy
07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Either will work fine. I use brass. If you're running a copper jacket at 2,800fps, a brass brush won't hurt it. In the long run, I don't think it'll matter, but... nylon works well, too. On the other hand... how will it deal with really strong solvents?

Mortarion
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm gonna be using Hoppe#9 mostly probably. The manufactures of the one I was gonna buy claim it's impervious to strong solvents. Also what do I mount brushes on?

Kappy
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm gonna be using Hoppe#9 mostly probably. The manufactures of the one I was gonna buy claim it's impervious to strong solvents. Also what do I mount brushes on?

Nothing wrong with Hoppes 9, but every once in a while, you're going to want to get a good, deep clean.
Mount? As I said, I use a Dewey rod.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/268904/dewey-1-piece-cleaning-rod-27-to-34-caliber-44-nylon-coated-12-x-28-thread

I'm not sure about the threads and all that. Just get one which is .30 cal.

It works very well. The key is to make sure that the rod is free to spin. Otherwise you wear out the bearings.

Worth every penny.

Make sure it's caliber specific to your rifle.

You can also use Gunslick, Tipton, or any of the others. All the old-timers where I shoot use Deweys. A Dewey rod, a Pachmeyr box, etc... all status symbols, you know? But they're all useful.

Mortarion
07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Ah perfect, couldn't use the one you suggested because it had the wrong threads. But I did manage to find a nice carbon fiber one on sale. What kind of oil would you recommend I use to coat my collection rifle? I also probably will be only going to the range less than once a month too.