PDA

View Full Version : Smith Wesson AR 15 Sport- thinking of getting one

doc66
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
My first AR and don't wanna spend arm and a leg. What are your thoughts?

Questions- what does a forward assist do? Also what does the bolt catch button do?

I can get this for $675. Tanks in advance...

LovingTheYear1911
07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Its a great rifle and an accurate one as well. The forward assist is if the bolt hasnt closed all the way or there is a jam. To by honest, I've never used mine and have never seen anyone use theirs. Its not needed 99.99% of the time, especially if you are at a range shooting and not crawling in mud, sand, or some river in the Amazon.

The bolt catch that you described is the bolt release. And the M&P has one, but doesnt have dust cover which again is not needed if youre at the range and not crawling in sand, hiding in rivers, or barried deep in mud. :)

They are a great rifle for the price. If I had known about them before I would have just gotten one of those and saved myself 400 dollars.

roushstage2
07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Solid rifle and a good price. If you want a complete rifle and can live without a forward assist, get it!

Mossy Man
07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
love mine. turned mine featureless last week, and i'm loving dropping mags

http://i.imgur.com/6hBuY.png

MOE Handguard, Stock (pinned) FDE
Hammerhead Grip
YHM Thread Protector
DPMS mag release parts
PA Aimpoint clone
Magpul small rail
FAB Defense Sling Mount
No-name light
Spectergear 2-point tac sling

doc66
07-11-2012, 11:52 PM
What's featureless? No tactical stuff? Light , forward grip , etc? Thanks for the input everyone -plus1!

Mossy Man
07-11-2012, 11:55 PM
What's featureless? No tactical stuff? Light , forward grip , etc? Thanks for the input everyone -plus1!

having no features that would classify the rifle as an AW while still allowing the use of a traditional magazine release and use of legally owned hi-cap mags.

In the case of the M&P15 Sport, the pistol grip, flash hider, and collapsible stock

OIF0708
07-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Great rifle for the money, great way to get into the AR platform if your new to ARs. Thousands of rounds of Silver bear and Golden Bear with out one problem.
Didn't have the Sport version when I bought mine years back or I would have opted for the Sport over the MOE version(simply because I don't think the forward assist is really needed on civilian rifles and the $400-$500 savings) i bought, but no complaints at all.

knkali
07-12-2012, 2:29 AM
I have the OR version w forward assist and dust cover. If I had to do it again, I would get the sport and save the $ and put it toward good optics

Chaos47
07-12-2012, 3:29 AM

A Featureless Rifle can not have any of the following:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

Note: Threaded Barrels and Bayonet Lugs are not on the list and are legal.

What you do get is the ability to freely drop magazines and use any legally owned magazines over 10 rounds.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/

teebiss
07-12-2012, 6:44 AM
If I could do it all over again, I would have bought a S&W M&P 15 Sport and saved myself a lot of money, time, and frustration. I would recommend that rifle to anyone wanting to buy their first AR without hesitation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pinoy916
07-12-2012, 7:27 AM
if you want to just have fun, yes buy it!

PolishMike
07-12-2012, 7:35 AM
Great rifles for the average weekend plinker. We've sold a ton of em and no complaints yet. We just got more in stock if you want to check one out in person.

Excaliburr
07-12-2012, 8:10 AM
Sounds like a good price and if you found one in stock, I am surprised. Maybe you should check out the Windham Weaponry for a little bit more money. There is another thread already started on that one. You can usually get it for $100 more or so and it includes the dust cover, forward assist and a nice case. It also comes with a chrome lined barrel, that the M & P does not come with and a lifetime warranty. People are finding them to be a good value for what you get.

Ken Woodford
07-12-2012, 9:14 AM
I am going to buy one for my Wife. She doesn't shoot as much but she still wants her own AR. The reason for the M&P sport and not any other AR for her is purely the price. I can't see spending 1300 on a weapon that will sit in the safe except for 3 times a year.

dodgerla
07-12-2012, 9:51 AM
Where can one find accesories for these guns ? Im having trouble finding a rubber grip. Thanks

ZombieTactics
07-12-2012, 10:01 AM
It's a surprisingly good rifle for the price. The barrel, lower receiver and every other functional part aside from the upper receiver are identical to those used in the higher-priced "T" model. The absence of a forward-assist is of debatable concern, and the lack of dust cover should be of concern only for hard-duty field use. The melonite barrel treatment is generally superior to chrome lining, and the 5r rifling profile is arguable a "quality point" in terms of accuracy.

It's starting to be a popular choice among budget conscious LE departments looking for a decent patrol rifle, or so I am told. I can see no reason why it should be viewed as anything but a very good quality weapon at a great price.

Seriously, what's not to like?

ChaneRZ
07-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Get it and you'll love it!

Lifeon2whls
07-12-2012, 10:35 AM
I have the Sport and love it. Have shot and seen plenty of other ARs at the range and mine keeps up with them all. I'm going to be mounting a scope on it soon but its accurate with the irons out to 200yds (steel pig). I also have a CMMG .22 conversion for it and that's also very accurate in the rifle.

artoaster
07-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Can't figure out why they didn't put a dust cover on it and charge another $10 retail.

BlackCement3
07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Got the Sport as my beater rifle but shoots just as good as my other AR's. I don't really know the science behind the Melonite barrel but read its just as good if not better than chrome-lined. The 5R rifling is a plus too.

Scratch705
07-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Can't figure out why they didn't put a dust cover on it and charge another $10 retail.

cause it is more than $10 to get that dust cover on, they would have to do extra machining to the upper to even allow dust cover installation

joe_gman
07-12-2012, 12:59 PM
The dust cover issue is the sole reason I didn't get a M&P sport. Do mostly desert shooting and even though I try to keep dust and sand out of the rifles and pistols; ie, never set them on the ground/ keep them covered when not shooting, they always seem to collect some dust on the internals.

Other than that, I have only heard positive reviews on the M&P sport from owners.

teebiss
07-12-2012, 1:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdpE6Lpw9E

doc66
07-14-2012, 8:06 AM
I DID IT!!!!
9.5 days and counting..... +1 on all the responses. Way to go CG Peoples :)
Also-Tracy Rifle and Pistol- great group of folks. Got a great deal there

Mossy Man
07-14-2012, 8:58 AM
grats bro. here's me with a really lame vid of shooting my sport:

XktQTnpMNik

excuse the poor shooting :D

calshipbuilder
07-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Have one, love it, sub. 5 moa accurate with 77 grain ammo. Shot it out to 660 yards on steel last week. ARs become an addiction tho, all that remains of my original sport is the barrel, bcg, and stripped lower.

p2rider426
07-14-2012, 11:32 AM
I DID IT!!!!

TRAP is awesome and you bought a fantastic rifle. Good luck brother

feelgood
07-14-2012, 5:45 PM
Go for it... dress it later on...mine now if fully magpul dressed...

doc66
07-14-2012, 6:04 PM
Shopping already-hogue grip first then maybe optic. On the fence- KISS?

Mossy Man
07-14-2012, 6:15 PM
just buy a bunch of ammo and shoot it

when i got mine i bought a bunch of crap that i never even really used

i found that what i liked was a basic magpul handguard, moe stock, and an aimpoint clone with a sling

i liked the magpul moe grip, but CA doesn't with a standard mag release...so

hammerhead

doc66
07-15-2012, 1:14 PM
Hey Moss will do. Already shopping online for ammo deals. I don't plan on changing or adding much. So far hogue rubber grip, keeping existing guards and adding pictany strip on the bottom (or the magpul moe guard) butt stock rubber pad, and a simple cheap optic under $100. Maybe a 1-2 point sling. Oh and multiple mags :)

nitroxdiver
07-15-2012, 4:05 PM
I DID IT!!!!

Congrats. It's a fine rifle that will serve you well, and you bought it from one of the best shops in the business. Have fun.

Lexustech48
07-15-2012, 6:32 PM
I have been nothing short of thrilled with mine! Its simple a great rifle at n awesome price, #mith and wesson quality and dependability, and a lifetime warranty. Total win in my opinion. =)

doc66
07-15-2012, 6:56 PM
Dam- I've spent the whole weekend on CG and YouTube haa haa... 8 days.... Thanks for all the advice guys!!!

SocomM4
07-16-2012, 8:44 AM
Hated the hogue grip. Magpul MOE plus. Or MiAD. Or maybe Troy .

Carefull which mags you buy, some 10/30s come with a crappy block inside , no riveted mags. And Pmags are the good stuffs.

MrExel17
07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
What they said^^^^^:D

ECVMatt
07-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Before all the banning of rifle stuff here in CA, I always took my Eagle Arms ER-15 on my desert bumming trips and thus liked the dust cover and occasionally used the forward assist. However, I could have easily gotten by without them. Congrats on the new rifle and enjoy it. I would keep it simple, but I am a simple kind of man. The best thing about the AR is you can make it into whatever you like! I would buy ammo first and shoot the heck out of it though....have fun

doc66
07-16-2012, 4:32 PM
First purchases: Ammo- as much as I can get (group buy anyone) extra magazines, and a rifle bag.

Is there any particular ammo I should stay away from? I know that I should feed all of them to see which she likes best..but just trying to stay away from any no brainer type purchases.

Been lookin at Cheaper then dirt and it seems the most logical. Ive never ordered ammo online before. I will probably order some .40 cal SW as well.

All else fails...gun show in Vallejo and San Jose next week. Whooot Whooot!

XD40SUBBIE
07-16-2012, 4:57 PM
Doc, everyone tells me to stay with brass ammo, stay clear of Tulammo with steel or other-than-brass casings. My M&P 15 OR has eaten nothing but Remington's so far and it likes it. After making the mistake of dressing up my evil black rifle with Magpul, mainly since Willy Blair works there...LOL and cheap optics. I think I'm done with it until the next build, maybe I'll get some better sights then. :) Have fun! Oh, get a loader, I got one from Bass Pro Shops that load 5 at a time, it is fun and a timesaver without jacking your fangers up.

doc66
07-16-2012, 5:01 PM
Doc, everyone tells me to stay with brass ammo, stay clear of Tulammo with steel or other-than-brass casings. My M&P 15 OR has eaten nothing but Remington's so far and it likes it. After making the mistake of dressing up my evil black rifle with Magpul, mainly since Willy Blair works there...LOL and cheap optics. I think I'm done with it until the next build, maybe I'll get some better sights then. :) Have fun! Oh, get a loader, I got one from Bass Pro Shops that load 5 at a time, it is fun and a timesaver without jacking your fangers up.

Def- will do! Thanks for the info. Will look for the loader. Also, definately gonna keep it KISS build. No sense in getting all the dressing and ultimately jack the cost up.

Lexustech48
07-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Best AR loader out there is the Butler Creek StripLULA. (its a magLULA brand loader in disguise!) 10 round loading at a time can take loose rounds or rounds on 10rd stripper clips. Super fast and easy loading.