PDA

View Full Version : Bolt action question...Experienced Calgunners please help

SASS308
07-11-2012, 7:03 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the bolt on my Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308....

I've seen pics online of customized Rem 700s where the bolt is stainless, has an extended handle, oversized knob, & some are even fluted. I know I can get the knob from Badger but as far as the bolt assembly goes, who makes a good one?

Also, do I just drop it in and go shooting, or do I have to bring it to a gunsmith?

Short Action Precision
07-11-2012, 8:06 PM
Whats wrong with your current bolt? PTG makes the best aftermarket bolts out there.

damon1272
07-11-2012, 8:13 PM
Pacific tool and gauge is the one to go with. They sell all flavor of bolts for the Remington

SASS308
07-11-2012, 8:15 PM
Nothing is wrong with the current bolt, its more of a cosmetic upgrade

SASS308
07-11-2012, 8:19 PM
Thanks for the info, do you know if its a quick drop in replacement or is gun smithing required?

Pacific tool and gauge is the one to go with. They sell all flavor of bolts for the Remington

Vu 308
07-12-2012, 7:25 AM
gunsmithing for head space.

Like the other have said, there is nothing wrong with the current bolt that you have.

You can put an oversized bolt knob on it if you want.

If you want to get a tighter bolt fit, then do it when you rebarrel your SPS and have the new bolt fitted at the same time. There is 0 reason to fit a new bolt at this time unless you have an issue with your current bolt.

Excaliburr
07-12-2012, 8:14 AM
Yeah, just polish the one you have and you can always install a different knob. There is a thread on here of a person I know who shows you how to do your own teardrop bolt handle. Looks sweet when done. The bolt is not going to change where there bullet is placed.