PDA

View Full Version : Pistol light on AR15?

Caribouriver
07-07-2012, 6:39 PM
I have an opportunity to pick up a Streamlight TLR-1 pretty cheap. I was intending to get a light for an AR15. Is there any particular reason why a pistol light on a rifle is a bad idea? Thanks

TheHammerOfTruth
07-07-2012, 6:44 PM
it will work.

G60
07-07-2012, 6:44 PM
Great idea actually, and a great light.

Big D
07-07-2012, 8:33 PM
No reason not to. Nice compact, bright light. You may not like the controls though.

mrvash
07-07-2012, 9:02 PM
I think it's a great idea, the light will work just fine.

MiddleKingdom
07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing for my MOE handguard, but I haven't found a good deal.

ChaneRZ
07-07-2012, 11:04 PM
That light will do. Here is mine...
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/chanerz12/cdddb327.jpg

IrishPirate
07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
i'm sure it will look just fine at the range....:rolleyes:

sorry, i just don't see why people need to tack a ton of crap on their guns that they'll never use. lights are only good for CQB, mainly indoors or narrow alleys. If you're using your AR for HD, then fine.....but if it's not your primary HD weapon, or even your backup (and lets face it, why would it be unless it's your only weapon platform?) why worry about slapping a bunch of tech crap on it that doesn't help do anything but add more weight to the gun????

I'm sure that light will attach to your gun just fine, and it will illuminate your hallways just fine, but be honest with yourself.....do you need light on your AR, or do you just want the most tacticool gun at the range??? nothing wrong with either, just be honest with yourself. There's better lights if you need them, and there's cooler ones if that's what floats your boat.

/cynicism

Wallabing
07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
If I can sway you to a Surefire G2X ($70) + VTAC flashlight mount ($30)

Best flashlight system for your AR15 @ $100, it blows everything away.

G60
07-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Does it really?

10mm
07-08-2012, 12:59 AM
The first thing I thought was how recoil might cause it to fail. If I were you and afford a specifically designed light for an AR then I'd make the investment. I think my safety is work the extra 200 to buy something I know will work for sure.

G60
07-08-2012, 1:06 AM
How is .223 recoil in a long gun going to be any worse than many pistol calibers in a much smaller platform?

The pistol light is fine. They're designed to be mounted on weapons.

G60
07-08-2012, 1:10 AM
I hate to pull the SME card, but if a carbine mounted TLR is good enough for someone like Kyle Defoor, it's certainly good enough for us.

scglock
07-08-2012, 1:11 AM
They're compact and bright. If you like the paddle on/off I'm sure the tlr will work fine on an ar platform

10mm
07-08-2012, 1:22 AM
How is .223 recoil in a long gun going to be any worse than many pistol calibers in a much smaller platform?

The pistol light is fine. They're designed to be mounted on weapons.

Your hide not mine. Just my simple opinion which he asked for. Good luck fella:cool:

I hate to pull the SME card, but if a carbine mounted TLR is good enough for someone like Kyle Defoor, it's certainly good enough for us.

CRTguns
07-08-2012, 1:51 AM
No reason not to. Nice compact, bright light. You may not like the controls though.

can get a pressure pad a wire for it.

hossb7
07-08-2012, 7:53 AM

Everyone owes it to themselves to evaluate their own situations to determine what they may or may not need.

shadow65
07-08-2012, 7:55 AM
I use TLR's on 2 5.56's an 1 300 BLK. None have had any issues.
Small, light weight, and bright enough for my needs.
Dave N

Caribouriver
07-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I just looked and the S&W M&P 15 has no rail for a light. Just a smooth tapered hand guard. I had been thinking of HD but now think that switching hand guards and all just may not be worth the expense.

tomd1584
07-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I just looked and the S&W M&P 15 has no rail for a light. Just a smooth tapered hand guard. I had been thinking of HD but now think that switching hand guards and all just may not be worth the expense.

Let me introduce you to the Mossie Midnight Mount. Designed for fellas like you who don't want to run a railed handguard, yet want to mount a pistol style weaponlight at the 12 o'clock position.

http://battlecomp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=48

http://battlecomp.com/store/images/MT2400FSBP.jpg

G60
07-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Everyone owes it to themselves to evaluate their own situations to determine what they may or may not need.

My point wasn't just to copy what we see someone else doing, but rather that there are a lot of guys who run their guns harder than any of us ever will that have settled on lights like an X200 or TLR-1. The lights are designed to hold up to weapon mounting, and the lights are holding up. Concerns about a light designed for weapon mounting not holding up to being mounted on a weapon are ridiculous, unfounded, and contradicted by real-world evidence. The TLR-1 HP is a TLR-1 body with a different head if 10mm has any doubt.

Magpul MOE handguards are $25, and an accessory rail to attach to one is $5. All you'll need is a light and you're set.

You can either set it up like so:

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_9326%201028%20Stick.jpg

Or you can get the $10 scout mount and set it up like this:
http://images-kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/MagPul_ScoutMount3-600x399.jpg

The mossie mount is also an alternative, but it runs $65-75.

Caribouriver
07-08-2012, 1:45 PM
The information you have provided is truly useful. I can make a more informed decision now than I could 4 hours ago - thanks for your help and various viewpoints. and thanks Calguns.

Twist18
07-08-2012, 1:54 PM
I have an insight M3 on my AR.

voiceoftheright
07-08-2012, 2:02 PM
In my experience a weapon mounted light is about the only thing a person needs mounted on their weapon, everything else is secondary to whichever light works for you. This is from "real world" experience trying to clear houses with only a few guys having flashlights taped to their quad rails because we weren't issued proper mounts at the time. I have a TLR1s and a TLR 3 mounted on mine.

Saym14
07-08-2012, 2:10 PM
works great - I have put mine on my AR for night shooting

Merc1138
07-08-2012, 2:13 PM

sorry, i just don't see why people need to tack a ton of crap on their guns that they'll never use. lights are only good for CQB, mainly indoors or narrow alleys. If you're using your AR for HD, then fine.....but if it's not your primary HD weapon, or even your backup (and lets face it, why would it be unless it's your only weapon platform?) why worry about slapping a bunch of tech crap on it that doesn't help do anything but add more weight to the gun????

I'm sure that light will attach to your gun just fine, and it will illuminate your hallways just fine, but be honest with yourself.....do you need light on your AR, or do you just want the most tacticool gun at the range??? nothing wrong with either, just be honest with yourself. There's better lights if you need them, and there's cooler ones if that's what floats your boat.

/cynicism

Yes, because one small and compact light is "a ton of crap" :rolleyes:

gun toting monkeyboy
07-08-2012, 3:11 PM
I have a TRL1s mounted on my "basic" carbine, and I have had no trouble with it in the past two years that I have had it. When I say basic, I mean basic. I used a JD Machine attachable rail that goes on to the standard handguard, and gives me about 2 inches of rail. That is the only thing on the carbine. It has a regular A2 carry handle and a solar tactical grip. And yes, I added the light because I have found that the majority of the time that I actually grab a rifle to go check on something, it is late at night. The TRL1s puts out enough light that I can clearly see targets through the iron sights out to the other end of the 5 acre property. There is nothing tactical about the set up. Only practical. Sorry if it offends people, but I need to be able to see what is getting the horses riled up, or barking and yipping in the field. It isn't mall ninja. It is just common sense.

-Mb

Caribouriver
07-08-2012, 4:40 PM
I'm gonna get a light. TLR-1 = $99.99 delivered in 3 days.

SA227driver
07-08-2012, 5:52 PM
Love my Surefire G2 and VTAC mount.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/SA227driver/IMG_0539.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/SA227driver/IMG_0538.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/SA227driver/IMG_0537.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/SA227driver/IMG_0536.jpg

wsmc27
07-08-2012, 9:08 PM
If one doesn't think a white light on a defensive/offensive AR is good idea, maybe ol' Mr. Rogers will change your mind?

2 year old article...found a nice digital version at:
http://digital.swatmag.com/SWAT/2010/SWAT1006/?Page=56
(takes a few seconds to load after the SWAT Mag logo shows first. Be patient.).

Worth a read imo. :)

nyc71
07-09-2012, 6:39 AM
Here's a TLR-3 on AR pistol
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d815-df54-d11c.jpg

Caribouriver
07-09-2012, 2:08 PM
It looks like in order to put a light on an AR15, you need a picatinny rail. If your hand guard does not have picatinny rails, you need to:

1. Switch out your round hand guard for one that is rail compatible like the Magpul MOE ($35) and buy some rails to attach to it ($5-10 each).
2. Or cheaper: Fasten on a little base directly to the round hand guard (parts4ar15.com short length picatinny rail for standard hand guard) 1-7/8" long @ $15 Anybody tried this?
3. Tape and velcro:D
It looks like most of you have rails on your hand guard. That seems practical. I just find the edges of the rails sharp and uncomfortable to muckle onto without gloves.

G60
07-09-2012, 2:19 PM
I think the most secure option with best value per dollar would be the MOE handguard and rail panel for it. With my C&R discount from Brownell's, the handguard and panel come out to $30.

SocomM4
07-09-2012, 2:34 PM

/cynicism

Pretty much the whole reason the weapon is so widely loved is because you can put on it whatever you want. It's even worse reading about weight concerns from people that carry their rifle to the bench and back.

Op, Check out the Vltor CasvELx it's my favorite drop in rail, and they offer it 189.00 for the unit with one 2 inch rail. Awesome , light , rock solid goodness.plus it has it's own riser built in for optics.And requires no modification cept taking the front sling loop off. And if the rail is sharp, use a rail cover.
http://www.vltorstore.com/the-casv-elx/

Caribouriver
07-09-2012, 5:10 PM
Thank you all. Credit card is in the breech.

tomd1584
07-09-2012, 6:40 PM
It looks like most of you have rails on your hand guard. That seems practical. I just find the edges of the rails sharp and uncomfortable to muckle onto without gloves.

You get used to it pretty quick. I wear gloves, but only because the handguard gets hot.

I love the feel of nekked rails!:p

hermosabeach
07-09-2012, 7:17 PM
Year ago i purchased a surefire light to slip onto the rail of a Glock

My AR is freefloated with a round tube

I went to Turners and dug into there inventory of weaver sight bases. I selected one that is about the same length of the light

I then drilled two holes in the free float tube and secured with nylock bolt / machine screws and blue locktite

When shooting at night, my glock light secures very easily. And i mounted the light so that my support hand fingertips can turn it on and off. It is on the right side at the 3 oclock position. I think he base was under $10 and $2 for screws and nuts at depot

Squidward
07-09-2012, 9:46 PM

No need to get MOE hand guards... The MOE rail fits on the tapered factory guards..

JUm3
07-09-2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.inforce-mil.com/wml.php

does anyone have experience with Inforce WML. Its pretty new.

MXRider
07-09-2012, 10:21 PM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Guns/IMAG0260.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

chead
07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
i'm sure it will look just fine at the range....:roll eyes:

/cynicism

A light is just about the most useful thing you can put on a rifle. When the sun goes down, it's dark out.

pratchett
07-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I have an opportunity to pick up a Streamlight TLR-1 pretty cheap. I was intending to get a light for an AR15. Is there any particular reason why a pistol light on a rifle is a bad idea? Thanks

There is no reason that a TLR-1 on a rifle is an objectively bad idea. Streamlight makes the light to withstand the recoil of a 12GA shotgun, as is evidenced by Streamlight's production of a pressure switch (http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-plug-in-remote-switches-for-tlr-weapons-flashlights.html) made for the purpose.

I have one mounted on my AR-15 in .223 Wylde, and I have it mounted on the shooter's right, as far forward as it will fit. I have a Streamlight momentary-on pressure switch mounted to the rail on the shooter's left. It is meant to be attached to the rail, and remains tight. The correct switch (there are 3, by the way) is Model 69135 that reads "LONG GUN."

My switch is mounted so that, in a normal grip (for me) I can move my thumb down slightly and activate it (with a satisfying "click" I might add). If you decide to buy the switch (for $29 at Optics Planet), you have to also buy the Streamlight Battery Door / Switch Assembly (http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr-battery-door-switch-assembly.html) (Item 69130), for around $40. Know right now that removing the standard door and attaching the door / switch assembly was aggravating beyond words until I figured out their system, and then it was simply like shoving a square peg into a round hole. It was well worth the result, IMO, but the process is not fun.

You could forego all of that and just buy the light; plenty of people just run the light without a switch, and report being quite satisfied.

If you do go the route of the pressure switch, consider zip ties to attach the coil to keep it against the rail from one side of the barrel to the other.

While the weight difference between a TLR-1 and a Surefire G2 (both with batteries) is negligible, the TLR-1 weighs 4.18oz and the Surefire G2 weighs a flat 4.1oz. So the TLR-1 weighs .08oz more that the G2 - negligible, but counter-intuitive and important to know if your decision focuses on weight.

Best of luck in your decision.