PDA

View Full Version : Help with computing 2 stage trigger weights

ronas
07-07-2012, 4:57 AM
I'm having I new rifle built and I want to make sure my thinking is right as far as telling the gunsmith what I want trigger weights to be.

I want them to be same as I've settled on with TRG-22.

I measured 1st stage at 28 oz.

The total weight is 62 oz.

So the 2nd stage pull is 34 oz.

So the pull weight will feel like 34 oz.

Does this make sense, in other words did I explain it correctly.

BrianRodela
07-07-2012, 6:13 AM
Rona's, the total weight and first stage weight will suffice for the gunsmiths needs. As far as "feel", that is a physiological quirk that allows you to in essence, forget that your holding against the first stage weight and focus on the second stage weight. Your gunsmith will make every effort to achieve the desired weights but in the end, you will have a 4 lb 2 stage trigger with a 50/50 weight distribution between the two stages, ie. 2 lbs per stage.

ronas
07-07-2012, 7:18 AM
Your gunsmith will make every effort to achieve the desired weights but in the end, you will have a 4 lb 2 stage trigger with a 50/50 weight distribution between the two stages, ie. 2 lbs per stage.

If I get what you stated above then I will percieve that I am pulling on a 2 lbs trigger from the point at which I hit the wall to the time it goes bang. Is that right?

I was thinking the 1st stage should require more pull weight, but I guess it does not really matter. Is that right?

The trigger is a CG X-Treme Mod 22 trigger and it is supposed to be quite adjustable and precise.

kurac
07-07-2012, 7:36 AM
I guess there are different ways to explain it, but as the name indicates there are two stages, the first stage is mostly spring weight, so you pull that until you hit the resistance of the second stage which is where you get your release. So yes, the second stage is added onto the weight of the first. It allows you to stage the trigger better and if you need to, you can back off and start over. I guess you can say it makes the shot less of a surprise, sometimes thats the way you want it.

ronas
07-07-2012, 7:50 AM
I know what a two stage trigger does they are the only rifle triggers I will use, AR type and bolt type rifles. The weights I described in post #1 are what I have set my TRG-22 too.

I just want to make sure what I decribled made sense to someone else, so I get what I want.

in the end, you will have a 4 lb 2 stage trigger with a 50/50 weight distribution between the two stages, ie. 2 lbs per stage.

If this is what I end up with it would probably be fine.