PDA

View Full Version : PPT Transfer

kbeez21
07-06-2012, 2:34 PM
I am trying to sell my PX4 to a friend of mine (would be a first time owner, lets call him "Dave"). Unfortunately, Dave shares a house with his brother who has a felony conviction. What are Dave's options? Does Dave have to declare that he shares his home with a felon? Does Dave have to take any extra steps to protect himself? Any help is appreciated.

Cyc Wid It
07-06-2012, 2:58 PM
It's tricky. Most people would say to be safe, that the brother cannot have ANY access to the firearm or the ammo. That is to say, it should be secured in a safe/etc that the brother does not have the combination/key to. However, the letter of the law does not really spell out the relationship between access and possession. Tread carefully.

Librarian
07-06-2012, 3:00 PM
See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Felons_and_firearms_and_ammunition -- so "Dave" knows the issues and the risks.

stix213
07-06-2012, 3:02 PM
A felon cannot possess a firearm or ammo. Many legal minded people believe access alone means possession, such as leaving it sitting on the table during a cleaning as you go to the restroom real quick. Conventional wisdom is to keep the firearm either on your person or locked up in a safe the felon has zero access to at all times. IANAL