PDA

View Full Version : SIG Owners ~ Plz Pitch IN... Done any upgrades ?

.40Cal
07-06-2012, 9:10 AM
Hey guys,

I've gotta 226 in 9mm. I usually shoot it very well and love its precision. However, I trend to squeeze the grip tight, and I can feel the flex in the plastic grip. It also wants to jump out of my supporting hand. I know...I know its my fault, I don't know how to grab/grip it well. But anyway, I believe the rubber Houge grip (with finger grooves) would give new a better grip. Houge is usually preferred over stock in most cases anyway, isn't it?

I'm also thinking of putting in a Wolf recoil spring, which is less harsh than the stock and would tame the recoil a little - any suggestions? What would you use, and why?

"Btw" should I consider a trigger job? How much $, and is our worth it?

Thanks guys...........Love Calguns!

laabstract
07-06-2012, 9:17 AM
Spend the money on some classes instead.

Yerman
07-06-2012, 9:22 AM
Too open-ended. There are a number of things that you could be doing wrong. I agree with the classes.

That being said, I had my grips stippled, put grip tape of from strap, SRT kit (huge improvement), 18lb wolf mainspring, and a short reach trigger.

I am sending my Sig to Bruce Gray next week for a full trigger job.

Hate the Houge rubber grip, hate the E2. The factory stippled with a short trigger was perfect for me.

I'd suggest to learn proper grip and take a class. Get 1K rounds through it before you start going crazy.

Don't know about the recoil spring change but a 9mm should be no problem with regard to recoil if you learn proper grip.

Casual_Shooter
07-06-2012, 9:23 AM
I sent my P220 off to GrayGuns to have them work their magic on the trigger/ action.

While I am a novice shooter, the improvement was noticeable and well worth the money.

ruddogg
07-06-2012, 9:38 AM
Srt kit

jessegpresley
07-06-2012, 9:46 AM
Sounds like you need to work out.

.40Cal
07-06-2012, 9:52 AM
Well, if I grab the grip tightly, my shots begin to scatter. If I grab it a little lightly, as if the gun is bench rested, I do get good accuracy, but then it jumps...

jessegpresley
07-06-2012, 9:54 AM
Don't death grip it, hold it as firmly as a manly hand shake or as you'd hold a baseball bat.

In the gun world, a P226 in 9mm would be considered a pu$$y cat with regards to recoil. That's a gun I'd recommend to my 91lb girlfriend. A Wolff recoil spring isn't gonna do jack. Sounds like you just need more trigger time.

IVth Horseman
07-06-2012, 10:07 AM
If youre just looking for upgrade recommendations, get yourself some hogue G10 grips, SRT and AEP, Bedair guide rod and then upgrade your sights. Everything mentioned will probably run $350.00 or so.

USAbodypilot
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Sounds like you need to work out.

Good one~!

jessegpresley
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
If youre just looking for upgrade recommendations, get yourself some hogue G10 grips, SRT and AEP, Bedair guide rod and then upgrade your sights. Everything mentioned will probably run $350.00 or so.

All that crap isn't gonna help the fact he can barely hold on to a P226 in 9mm.

Seriously, he needs to work out, maybe one of those grip strengthener things like this.

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/altus-gel-hand-grip-strengthener-firm.html?CID=GoogleShopping

Too many guys on this forum recommend pointless, expensive "uprgrades" to guns that are perfectly fine, and shoot better than their owner. Put that $350 into bullets and range time. And the grip strengthener. And a set of dumbbells.

.40Cal
07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
^ ^ ^ You probably didn't read the following.... I may not be holding it right...but I've noticed, right before shooting if I wash hands, I shoot better. I think it's also possible the oil and sweat in hands can get slippery, on the plastic grip. Thats why I was thinking of a rubber grip. Besides, the stock grip flexes at the back...

Well, if I grab the grip tightly, my shots begin to scatter. If I grab it a little lightly, as if the gun is bench rested, I do get good accuracy, but then it jumps...

elee
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
You should learn how to shoot your gun well stock before you start doing upgrades. Otherwise you're just masking the problems.

Fundamentals are always important!

ST22
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
grip flexes? How hard are you gripping this thing? I've got the same model pistol and I've never noticed a flex in the grip.

Training sounds to be the most prudent move here prior to upgrading the unit.

JUm3
07-06-2012, 1:17 PM
SRT kit - 60 bucks.

Shoot it more, forget the recoil spring. After a 1000 rounds it starts feeling nicer.

IVth Horseman
07-06-2012, 2:30 PM
All that crap isn't gonna help the fact he can barely hold on to a P226 in 9mm.

Too many guys on this forum recommend pointless, expensive "uprgrades" to guns that are perfectly fine, and shoot better than their owner. Put that $350 into bullets and range time. And the grip strengthener. And a set of dumbbells.

Notice the thread title says "Done any upgrades?" and I start my reply with "If youre just looking for upgrade recommendations". And G10 grips sound like the exact crap he needs. Sweaty hands dont shoot well and some piranha textured grips can help remedy that. He already had multiple suggestions to get training time in, thought I might provide some other useful advice.

So OP, in closing. G10s, Training, and dont drink coffee before shooting:D

Go Navy
07-06-2012, 3:17 PM
Don't death grip it, hold it as firmly as a manly hand shake or as you'd hold a baseball bat.

In the gun world, a P226 in 9mm would be considered a pu$$y cat with regards to recoil. That's a gun I'd recommend to my 91lb girlfriend. A Wolff recoil spring isn't gonna do jack. Sounds like you just need more trigger time.

Which "gun world" are you talking about? All my centerfire handguns are 9mm. It is definitely not a "pu$$y" round.

Whatisthis?
07-06-2012, 3:22 PM
Training is my suggestion. Upgrades don't mean **** if you can't shoot the thing. Why throw money into a gun that you might end up selling because you don't like shooting it?

As far as upgrades, if the recoil/grip is your problem and a PROPER grip does not fix the issue, then I would try different grips.

Once you like shooting it and know you won't sell it, I suggest an SRT kit and night sights. If the DA trigger reach is too long, then a short reach trigger as well. That's it though. Anything more and you're overdoing it and wasting money IMO.

I can't imagine a 226 in 9mm have recoil that makes it jump out of your hand though. When you say jumping out of your support hand, do you mean your support hand is "cupping" the bottom of the magazine?

Go Navy
07-06-2012, 3:23 PM
The only mod I've made to mine are these rosewood grips. I don't have any trouble at all with the ergonomics. In fact, this is the best and most accurate 9mm pistol I've ever shot or owned, and I currently own 9mms from Glock, HK, and Beretta.

See attached picture.....

Whatisthis?
07-06-2012, 3:27 PM
Which "gun world" are you talking about? All my centerfire handguns are 9mm. It is definitely not a "pu$$y" round.

He said it was a pu$$y cat IN TERMS OF RECOIL. I don't know if you're thinking that but just typed "round". No one wants to be shot by a 9mm because it is pu$$y round, which it isn't. I think he is referring to the fact that it is a 9mm round in a full sized metal gun. Compare that to a 9mm in a subcompact polymer and the full size SIG is a lot easier to shoot.

unusedusername
07-06-2012, 3:30 PM
Like all things in handgunning, grip is complicated.

You are right if you grip too hard the gun wiggles all over the place, because that is what your muscles do when they are working really hard.

And the grip strengthener. And a set of dumbbells

If the gun is shaking and the grips are flexing, then the OP is gripping too tightly, not too weakly.

You are also right in that if you grip too weakly then the gun has the muzzle flip when you shoot it.

You have to find that "just right" place.

You can play with different grips as your budget allows and maybe one is much better then the others. Personally I like the G10 grips. I hate the rubber ones and the E2s are just meh, but really they don't make that huge of a difference when being used.

Classes are what I would recommend, or barring that, at least meet up with a buddy who has some Sigs and can shoot them well. figure out what that buddy is doing that you are not.

There are 2 factors in recoil: the weight of the gun, and the energy of the cartridge. Basically nothing else has any significant impact. Changing a spring or a trigger part is not going to make your gun recoil less.

Once you get to the point that you can get 5 shot groups within a 5 inch circle, slowfire and offhand at about 10 yards, then start thinking about trigger jobs and springs. Until you get there then it is just a waste of money.

MrExel17
07-06-2012, 4:12 PM
Classes and ammo, the gun itself is awesome already! 0.2

jessegpresley
07-06-2012, 4:28 PM

He said it was a pu$$y cat IN TERMS OF RECOIL. I think he is referring to the fact that it is a 9mm round in a full sized metal gun. Compare that to a 9mm in a subcompact polymer and the full size SIG is a lot easier to shoot.

Go Navy, you need to improve your reading comprehension skills.

nfong2684
07-07-2012, 9:36 AM
To OP, I have the same gun and purchased the rubber hogue grips with the finger grooves. My hands tend to get really sweaty and it isn't exactly ideal for plastic grips. The hogue grips work great, but it should be mentioned that the increase the overall width of the grip substantially. I like a grip that is larger so for me it isnt much of an issue, for others, it can be. I hope this helps and you are able to figure out your grip conundrum.

Yerman
07-07-2012, 2:40 PM
Classes and ammo, the gun itself is awesome already! 0.2

When did opinions go up to 20 cents? :)

9mmepiphany
07-07-2012, 3:49 PM
1:1 instruction.

For the price of a set of Hogue G-10 grips, I can get you printing inside 3" (closer to 2") at 5-7 yards

Whatisthis?
07-07-2012, 6:05 PM
1:1 instruction.

For the price of a set of Hogue G-10 grips, I can get you printing inside 3" (closer to 2") at 5-7 yards

9mmepiphany speaks the truth. My first time out with firearms was a 1:1 lesson with him. Great instructor. He focused on the basics since I was new to firearms and then moved to what I was struggling with or had questions on. By the end, if I was doing what he told me, my shots were all touching at 7 yards. If you're looking for a 1:1, which I would suggest over a class, then I would send him a PM and see if you can set something up. He is very nice and relaxed and very easy to learn from.