PDA

View Full Version : Are my glock 26 magazines worthless now?

its mcgavin son
07-06-2012, 6:32 AM
I'm trying to install PG-26XLs on my magazines but I managed to screw up the initial process. The magazine button on the bottom is sideways now and can no longer be compressed correctly... I tried removing the floor plates with 2 magazines and the samething happened

45DAVID1
07-06-2012, 6:43 AM
Give them to me.

mikeinla
07-06-2012, 6:58 AM
I'm trying to install PG-26XLs on my magazines but I managed to screw up the initial process. The magazine button on the bottom is sideways now and can no longer be compressed correctly... I tried removing the floor plates with 2 magazines and the samething happened

No, squeeze the side of the magazine right above the bottom plate and use a center punch(or similar tool) to remove. Your magazines are fine, you just tweeked the plate and will will go back together

The Virus
07-06-2012, 6:58 AM
take some channel locks and squeeze the side to disengage to locking tabs and slide off the base plate...

MA2
07-06-2012, 7:03 AM
(please wear goggles/safety glasses)

^what they said, you are simply at step one in the process.
It's a real pain to squeeze those two tabs, check out gtul if you are going to do this often for cleaning.

BOBBY626
07-06-2012, 7:06 AM
Check out a how to video on Youtube

9mmdude
07-06-2012, 7:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRquLIpolc

Just like he does.

its mcgavin son
07-06-2012, 7:19 AM
No, squeeze the side of the magazine right above the bottom plate and use a center punch(or similar tool) to remove. Your magazines are fine, you just tweeked the plate and will will go back together

Use a punch/tool for leverage to slide the plate off? So now that my magazine buttons are no where to be seen (they retracted back somewhere in the actual body) I can partially see the magazine spring instead

mls204
07-06-2012, 8:11 AM
I had this exact same thing happen to me. It was more difficult than i expected. i put a thin screwdriver into the button hole and used it as a lever to push the floorplate off. once it came off it the process got much easier.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-06-2012, 9:34 AM
The punch technique will still work. When done properly, you're pushing the spring plate out of the way anyway.

its mcgavin son
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
I had this exact same thing happen to me. It was more difficult than i expected. i put a thin screwdriver into the button hole and used it as a lever to push the floorplate off. once it came off it the process got much easier.

So you just ignored the technical event and wet ahead to use a tool to slide the floor plate off? We're you squeezing the sides of the magazine at the same time?

Glock 26 magazines are frustrating. The mags on my 19 and 23 disassembled within seconds...

mls204
07-06-2012, 1:10 PM
well the screwdriver pushed the internal floor plate away and compressed the mag spring. With the screwdriver shaft in through the button hole about an inch, I just shifted it one way and popped the base plate off.

squeezing the sides of the magazine was not done because I didn't realize that needed to be done until after I got the damn thing open and saw the tabs. but I went ahead and did my other mag the same way bc it worked and didn't break anything.

they seriously are a pain in the *****.

its mcgavin son
07-06-2012, 1:20 PM
That's the problem for me. I can't even see the button now when I look through the bottom hole. I see half a coil of the actual magazine spring. Even when I insert a tool, there's nothing to compress in. I'm about to take a reciprocating saw to the base.

9mmdude
07-06-2012, 1:30 PM
Hold the mag in your left hand. Insert the tool with your right. Push with your left hand and pull with your right. Exert some force and that puppy will pop off.

mls204
07-06-2012, 1:38 PM
the spring floor plate is just tweaked. when u pop the base plate it isnt going to come flying apart like a can of worms, it will just release from the tabs then u can slide it off taking care to have a thumb over the internals. You will probably find your spring plate inside the spring coil.

Trust me, the exact same thing happened to me. If you saw the base you're probably going to do real damage to the magazine and likely make it useless.

its mcgavin son
07-07-2012, 9:10 AM
Man 1, magazine 0.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/_eVoL_/IMG_0838.jpg

You were right mis. The magazine floor plate was tweaked out of its' proper place. These brand-new Glock 26 magazines are no joke -- they're tough, little bastards. I stuck a few prying instruments in the hole but I still failed to remove the plates. I finally took a pipe wrench to my mags wrapped in a thick piece of cloth to completely loosen the dual tabs.. It worked like a charm. However, I did leave a few scuff marks on them due to the tool pressure.

Now it's time for the extended mag catch and slide release. This will be fun.

mls204
07-07-2012, 11:50 AM
nice. yeah those damn things are such a pain but it does make shooting the g26 a lot more enjoyable.