PDA

View Full Version : SCAR stock block help

ir0nclash86
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Alright guys i purchased a SCAR stock block from here a while ago. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=304240

Well, on my last shooting trip a couple of weeks ago, the teeth on the stock block broke off. I dont know how it broke since i didnt use it to buttstroke anybody. Wear and tear i suppose. Anyways, ive tried contacting the seller to purchase another but he hasnt signed on in a year. Ive tried emailing him as well with no luck. Does anybody know where i can buy another stock block like the one posted in the link? I prefer that one over the one Riflegear sells.

Bug Guy
07-05-2012, 2:11 PM
riflegear works great have it in both my 16s and 17s....theres is a bunch of places online that sells them but there all the same...there like 5$..do a google search for scar stock block...hope that helps you

ir0nclash86
07-05-2012, 2:41 PM
Thanks but i dont like the $5 ones. When i go out of state i like to sometimes revert my stock back to its normal configuration and its super easy and faster when using the one in the link.

bender152
07-05-2012, 2:46 PM
riflegear works great have it in both my 16s and 17s....theres is a bunch of places online that sells them but there all the same...there like 5$..do a google search for scar stock block...hope that helps you

The problem with those is that you have to disassemble your stock to insert the block. The one the OP is talking about does not require you to disassemble the stock, it's a direct replacement piece for the latch.

(On a side note, $5 for the stock block isn't much, but an empty .45 casing would do the same job.)

To the OP, you could do what I did and make your own. I took the original stock latch and drilled a hole in it. I placed a nut on the inside of the latch then inserted a screw (cut to size) from the outside. Put the stock together, then tightened the screw down.

Also, Tango Down makes an aluminum latch. I haven't seen one in person, but you could conceivably tap a hole into their latch and then insert a set screw, exactly like how your old latch worked. Unfortunately, the TD latches are pretty expensive.

ir0nclash86
07-05-2012, 3:03 PM
Yeah those tango down ones are $$$. If i cant find a readily available stock block im gonna have to take your suggestion. What size drill bit and screw did you use?

bender152
07-05-2012, 3:07 PM
I'll check when I get home.

As for the stock block you're looking for, they haven't been available for some time. I tried to buy one over a year ago and had no luck. That's why I went the DIY route.

ScottsBad
07-06-2012, 8:29 AM
Yeah those tango down ones are $$$. If i cant find a readily available stock block im gonna have to take your suggestion. What size drill bit and screw did you use?

I might be able to help you with a solution.

I have three SCARS and I've come up with two different ways to create a reversable stock block. I'll try to take photos and post them here today. Should have it posted by this afternoon.

ir0nclash86
07-06-2012, 9:44 AM
^^^ Thanks I appreciate it.

ScottsBad
07-06-2012, 1:46 PM
OK, here are two pictures:

https://s3p1bg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pBAT8Zf-Zfx1GiQSuUAGqJw_GLVc6H_ehD9MN0u9StZ4dEP9rvY_fUbiwA 6y6HNd_oBrbA7byp28PNggEciAQfM7iTqpZec0B/stock%20lock%201.jpg?
https://s3p1bg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1ptfXeCgEMvzx8FwI-Mk4Q-Cx8RvLkImMcw9AVnMYfaI32W2NkqZ4ZP91EVz6gnjyP17DhnNv lIwCQ7XRo8xVsYe3L-i4npsyg/stock%20lock%202.jpg?

The first is a M4 X 10mm set screw. Drill and tap stock plastic button carefully so that when the button is in the locked position the set screw sits right above the stock. To unlock, simply screw the set screw in until the button clears.

The second picture is what I do now. Take the lower off, and remove the stock. drill a small hole through the back of the stock and through the plastic of the button just about where you see it in the picture. Find a short oval head machine screw #4 if possible. Very carefully counter sink the hole just enough to get the oval of the screw head down so that the tang on the back of the lower will not interfer. I used a drill in a pair of vice grips to make the counter sink, but you could use a dremel. Now screw in the machine screw and press the stock button. DADA! it is locked. Just reassemble the rifle.

To reverse just take out the screw.

Rather than use a screw you could make a pin out of thick stainless wire and bend it down into the stock out of the way.

Both of these have worked very well for me for about two and a half years. So if you go to a sane state to shoot the stock can be freed relatively easily.
Good luck

bender152
07-06-2012, 4:49 PM
Here's how I did mine.

Some people might whine about how it looks ugly because you can see the screw or about how I "ruined" the latch by drilling into it. Personally, IDGAF. I can always buy a new latch.

http://www.tracingcircles.com/fs/scarlatch.jpg

1. Drilled a hole in the latch
Drill the hole in a location where the edge of the nut is flush against the inside wall of the latch, so the nut has an anchor point for when you screw/unscrew the bolt.
2. Placed nut inside the latch
3. Screw in bolt, but leave enough slack so that you can install the latch
You will need to do a little measuring and cut the bolt to the appropriate length. I also put a tiny bit of blue loctite on the bolt.
4. Install latch back into stock
5. Screw bolt all the way down
6. Drink beer
7. Test fire in backyard

I don't know what the bolt/nut size is, but really, it doesn't matter. Just find one that will fit inside the latch and drill the appropriate size hole.

ir0nclash86
07-06-2012, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys. These are alot better than having to drive the stock hinge pin out everytime to revert.

On a seperate note....I have a Tango Down Angled Charging Handle in the box for trade for the Tango Down Aluminum Stock Latch if you guys have one. :)

ScottsBad
07-07-2012, 8:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys. These are alot better than having to drive the stock hinge pin out everytime to revert.

On a seperate note....I have a Tango Down Angled Charging Handle in the box for trade for the Tango Down Aluminum Stock Latch if you guys have one. :)

Dr. Evil,
I fixed the links I think. Had to change the permissions. Let me know.