PDA

View Full Version : Recomendation ~ Soft or Hard Range case for Scoped Rifle w/ pistol grip

insin
07-01-2012, 2:21 PM
Hello,
I am looking for a new range case for a scoped rifle with a pistol grip. The pistol grip along with the scope usually put a lot of potential cases out the window. I am not completely sold on going the hard case route, I might consider a soft case for fast easy transport to and from the range. I have a plastic Plano hard case, but it does not accommodate both a scope and pistol grip on a rifle (not tall enough). Any recommendations out there? Also, I rather not get a "tactical" rifle bag. i don't need 4 mag pouches on the side. I just want a simple, not too expensive either hard plastic and/or soft rifle case just for range/simple transport use that will accommodate a scoped AR or HK rifle.

Thank you

4DSJW
07-01-2012, 5:12 PM
I personally don't like hard cases for trips to the range, for travel a hard case is absolutely necessary. I really like the UTG case I recently purchased for my full-sized FAL with a scope mounted. There ARE pouches on the side but they are molle mounted and removable. The quality is quite good and the molle straps on the pouches can be tucked in to make very nice belt pouches.

Another soft case option is one from VooDoo Tactical. A very, very nice case but it was way too thick (4"-5") for my liking.

Cucv
07-01-2012, 5:15 PM
I like my condor soft case.

Dhena81
07-01-2012, 6:04 PM
A hard case is overkill for anything other than flying. If you buy a quality soft case you can throw your bag out of the truck and it will be fine I do it all the time with my 5.11 bag.

insin
07-01-2012, 6:28 PM
A hard case is overkill for anything other than flying. If you buy a quality soft case you can throw your bag out of the truck and it will be fine I do it all the time with my 5.11 bag.

I looked into the 5.11 bags and they look pretty nice. I even like the idea of the double case, since usually I travel to the rang with more then 1 rifle, usually 2.

So after looking at these, then looking back at the simple Plano cases that are semi hard plastic, I am still unsure. I guess I will take a day or two to decide.

ouch1
07-02-2012, 1:52 PM
Check out the SKB SFR-5013 case. I know it is a double rifle case, but your rifle should be able to fit without a problem.

Link: http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/shooting/rifleshotgun.html#SFR5013

-ouch1

P.Charm
07-02-2012, 2:21 PM
my voodoo tactical will carry a pistol grip and scoped rifle with no bulging. for 50 something bucks on the sportsmanguide.com you can't beat it.

TwinStick
07-02-2012, 2:39 PM
Another happy VooDoo Tac Double Rifle bag owner here. I can carry my M4rgery and the 20" 12 GA, or the 20" Winchester 94 with no problems at all. The AR has a red-dot, pistol grip and grip-pod on it sometimes. I bought VooDoo's molle mag pouches and I fit fit both rifles or the rifle and 12ga along with 8 mags. It gets heavy as f*ck, but the zippers and seams are top notch so far.

cavemanlrrp
07-02-2012, 2:39 PM
If you want to try soft. Check out LA police gear. They have a pretty nice ones for $33 in their close out section.

www.lapolicegear.com

They come in 36'' and 42".
Picked up one a year ago, now I have 3 for ARs, 1 is scoped, works good. Lock hole zippers too.

For flying get a hard, Pelican, etc. case that your soft will fit in.

Best
caveman

RugerNo1
07-02-2012, 2:40 PM
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Creedmoor_M16A2-AR15_Rifle_Case..html

Holds my A2 and MK12 SPR clone (one or the other) just fine.

KMosley
07-03-2012, 3:59 AM
Get a Pelican! Nothing else comes close.

Curley Red
07-03-2012, 8:07 AM

+1. You have a $1,000+ rifle and you want to put it in a cheap soft case. One accident and you will be pissed. Buy once, cry once.

RugerNo1
07-03-2012, 9:45 AM
+1. You have a $1,000+ rifle and you want to put it in a cheap soft case. One accident and you will be pissed. Buy once, cry once.

True, a CHEAP soft case is usually terrible, but a well made, padded soft case is much more convenient than a hard case. Like the case actually fitting into the trunk of my car. I put my $3500 rifle setup in this case (https://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Creedmoor_Deluxe_Scoped_Rifle_Case.html)and I have never had a single bit of problems with damage of any kind. You get what you pay for.

ALX10mm
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I own a Voodoo double rifle padded soft case. The construction is great. and has enough space and pockets to pack it SO full of gear, its nearly impossible to carry.

Currently I have it loaded with a Remington R-25 with scope in the more padded side of the case. The padding is rigid and very effective. In the less padded side of the case rides my Ruger 10/22 w/scope. Both have velcro straps that hold the rifle to the case.

The front of the case features 3 large (8" x 8") zippered compartments that contain 22 mag pouches!
The outer 2 zippered compartments contain 3 AR mag pouches each, in which I can fit 2 10rd DPMS AR-10 mags each (for a total loaded mag capacity of 12 mags or 120 rounds of 7.62x51)
They are designed to hold 12 AR-15 30round GI mags.

The center of the 3 zippered compartments holds 8 double stack pistol mags. They fit full size Glock 20/21 mags easily.
I also store 2 pistols in the bag in the discrete pockets behind the rifle mags.

Here is a link to the case on the Voodoo website:
Voodoo Deluxe Double Rifle Case (http://www.voodootactical.net/p-1356-deluxe-lockable-voodoo-tactical-42-inch-molle-soft-rifle-case.aspx)

This has been my favorite range bag i have ever owned and highly recommend it.

-ALX10mm

skohl
07-03-2012, 7:14 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WJ6P4S/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Hope this link works. I just bought this on Amazon and am very impressed.

UTG Deluxe Covert Homeland Security Gun Case - look it up.

L84CABO
07-03-2012, 11:28 PM

I love my Pelican cases. They're definitely worth the money. But they are overkill for a lot of situations. Too big, bulky and heavy. Ultimately you're probably going to want and end up with both a hard and a soft case. It's probably more a question of which one to get first.

I love my 5.11 double soft case btw. Worth the money. And there's proably a lot of sales going on for the 4th.

Lexustech48
07-04-2012, 12:11 AM
+1 For the VooDoo Tactical Double Rifle soft case. I have the regular version of it with the smaller pouches. I have stuffed it full of bullets, mags and everything needed for a day at the range. Including two long guns, its ability as a bug out bag makes this a great choice too.

Thick spacer pad separating both guns, secure straps to hold the long guns in place. Have not used the pistol pouches for pistols yet, but they seem large enough for full frame 1911's or medium frame revolvers (possibly large frame). Hard pressed to fit an SW 500 in there though.

There are straps EVERYWHERE to keep the contents of your case securely in place. The one I got came with an over the shoulder strap and back pack straps. Plenty of Molle at the ends of the case on the front side.

Couldnt be happier with this case. Assuming I remember to pack everything I need, this thing can store it all. :D

Voodoo Tactical Double Rifle Soft Case @ Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Padded-Weapons-Weapon/dp/B004G8B96G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341388742&sr=8-1&keywords=voodoo+tactical+double+rifle+case)

Merc1138
07-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Pelican does make great cases, but they're expensive, heavy, and bulky. I use a pelican for my handguns to and from the range, it's not huge so storing it isn't a problem. A big pelican 1700 series case? Yeah, that would be fun to keep lying around.

If you're going on a bus, train, plane, then something like a pelican is obviously a must. But keep it in storage. If you're just tossing your guns in the car to drive to the range, get something light in weight that doesn't take up tons of room. It's not like it's getting beaten up by baggage handlers simply lying in your truck/car/van while you're driving, and even then any decent padded soft case can still take more of a beating than you'll ever run into just going to the range even if you manage to drop the thing down a hill. You're carrying guns, not a fragile ancient artifact.

23's Dad
07-04-2012, 9:08 AM
For one rifle? Then a good soft case will do. If your range trip involves a few rifles, then the larger hardcases start to make good sense. I like the SKB Quad Case for a range trip with 2+ rifles. It's heavy and a bit clumsy, but better than wrangling mutiple single cases or risking damage to my rifles. Plenty of room for the scoped rifle with pistol grip - one on each level, and something with a smaller profile nested with the scoped rifle. The quad case also allows me to move my gear in one trip, rather than leaving unsecured gear or firearms at one location and making 2 or more trips.

Mute
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I mainly use hard cases for travel, however, sometimes I keep everything in my hard case and it's too damn troublesome to move everything between the hard and soft case. I'll live with the weight and bulk for the convenience of just grabbing and go.