PDA

View Full Version : Another inter-family gift question

trfcrugby
05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Can I legally give a rifle to my wife's grandfather, or will that require a DROS? He has a huge collection already, but I managed to get something he really wanted, and plan on giving it to him for his birthday.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-20-2007, 11:49 PM
No you can't.

But your wife can.

And you can give a rifle to your wife. ;)

thefinger
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
No you can't.

But your wife can.

And you can give a rifle to your wife. ;)

that is hilarious. the law of man makes me LOL:D

trfcrugby
05-21-2007, 8:42 PM
So if I give the rifle to my wife, there is no DROS required? Then she gives it to her grandpa, and again, no DROS? Is there anything I should do records-wise?

Quiet
05-21-2007, 9:07 PM
No DROS is required.

As long as the rifle is not classified as an "assault weapon", you can legally gift a firearm to your wife and she can legally gift that firearm to her dad.

:Pirate:

Mssr. Eleganté
05-21-2007, 9:13 PM
So if I give the rifle to my wife, there is no DROS required?

That's correct. No DROS, no paperwork, no waiting period.

Then she gives it to her grandpa, and again, no DROS?

Correct. But what your wife does with her new rifle is not really your concern. ;) But you can let her know that if she ever decides to give one of her rifles to her grandfather then no DROS is required.

Is there anything I should do records-wise?

Nothing is required.

Keep in mind that all of the information above supposes that all three people are residents of California. If one or more of them are residents of different states then the transfer will have to go through an FFL Dealer.

trfcrugby
05-21-2007, 9:18 PM
OK, sounds good to me. Thanks for the help. He's going to be extremely pleased on his birthday. He's an old Korean war vet, and he was issued an M1 Carbine. He's been wanting one for years, but never managed to get one, and now the prices are insane. I scored one at a good price, and I want to give it to him, since he will get more out of it than me at this point, and I may eventually have it return to me in a few years (not that I am waiting for him to pass or anything).

EOD Guy
05-22-2007, 5:14 AM
OK, sounds good to me. Thanks for the help. He's going to be extremely pleased on his birthday. He's an old Korean war vet, and he was issued an M1 Carbine. He's been wanting one for years, but never managed to get one, and now the prices are insane. I scored one at a good price, and I want to give it to him, since he will get more out of it than me at this point, and I may eventually have it return to me in a few years (not that I am waiting for him to pass or anything).

If you are talking about a USGI M1 carbine, you can give it to him directly. C&R rifles over 50 years old are exempt from the dealer transfer requirement.