PDA

View Full Version : HK mp5 .22 review

Sheperd80
05-13-2012, 8:52 PM
Short review: waste of money.

Long review: So we let my 14 year old stepson pick out a gun for his bday and thats what he chose. At that age looks and Call of Duty resemblance are everything.

I tried to convince him to get something more practical but anyone with kids probably knows how that goes. It was almost $600 bucks after everything. OuCH!

Shot it today and lets just say it met my expectations. Its ridiculously heavy, im not a fan of the sights at all, and it jammed a few times. It has a collapsible stock, a big old fake banana clip, and a long 20" barrel i believe, which is shrouded by a fake can so it looks all "spec ops".

Needless to say i was not impressed. But he loves it so i guess its cool, i just wouldve rather gotten him a 10-22. Or even an AR style wouldve been better for customization, price, weight and ergos. But apparently ARs arent tacticool enough for him anymore.

Overpriced, overweight and just not meant to be a 22. Sure it was accurate, but what 22 with a long barrel isnt? Someday he'll learn.....i hope. And ive learned not to let kids pick their own presents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Gatotsu77
05-13-2012, 10:04 PM
If it was what he wanted, and he is happy, what else matters? Did you clean and lubricate the weapon before firing it? What ammo were you using? I have put over 2k rounds through mine with zero problems whatsoever.

m03
05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
a big old fake banana clip

I'm here for the obligatory "It's a magazine, not a clip" comment.

BHP FAN
05-13-2012, 11:05 PM
''I'm here for the obligatory "It's a magazine, not a clip" comment...''

Well, if you owned an SKS or a Garand you'd know the difference.

MrPlink
05-14-2012, 3:19 AM
Im an adult and I want one!
I just really want an MP5 above all else, but dont want to spend the cash for a centerfire clone. I wish I trusted Umarex more, I might have actually purchased one.

Sheperd80
05-14-2012, 5:25 AM
If it was what he wanted, and he is happy, what else matters? Did you clean and lubricate the weapon before firing it? What ammo were you using? I have put over 2k rounds through mine with zero problems whatsoever.

Agreed thats why we went through with it. Just kills me to think he couldve gotten a 10-22 and a metric ton of ammo. :)

No we havent cleaned it. Its still in its 10 day jail period but our range lets us come shoot our guns as soon as theyre paid for. Just cant take em home.

Using american eagle ammo. Worth noting that the magazine sits a little loosely in the well.

Sheperd80
05-14-2012, 5:28 AM
''I'm here for the obligatory "It's a magazine, not a clip" comment...''

Well, if you owned an SKS or a Garand you'd know the difference.

Lol yeah i know its not a clip. i typed banana magazine and it just didnt sit right. That dark dusty back corner of my local liquor stores magazine rack came to mind...

Gatotsu77
05-14-2012, 5:40 AM
I have to agree with you there, $300+ in 22lr ammo is a LOT of range time. It is cool that the gun store will let you shoot it while it is still in jail, but I can guarantee that the factory grease is why it was jamming. Thick nasty shizz it is. Once you get it home and properly cleaned/oiled, it'll runlike clockwork. Oh, and yes they are a little heavy, but heck, a range trip with a free workout is a good deal to me. :P

busta00
05-14-2012, 6:52 AM
Mine took a couple of hundred rounds to "warm up" It shoots fine now. but i had some fte and ftf at first.

Sheperd80
05-14-2012, 6:13 PM
I have to agree with you there, $300+ in 22lr ammo is a LOT of range time. It is cool that the gun store will let you shoot it while it is still in jail, but I can guarantee that the factory grease is why it was jamming. Thick nasty shizz it is. Once you get it home and properly cleaned/oiled, it'll runlike clockwork. Oh, and yes they are a little heavy, but heck, a range trip with a free workout is a good deal to me. :P

Lol yeah god knows the kid could use a little muscle definition. And maybe ill curl it a few times before bed each night. And while were putting a positive spin on things...itll definitely add some more cool factor to my safe for when i show it to friends and what not :)

Yuba
05-14-2012, 7:25 PM
I'm here for the obligatory "It's a magazine, not a clip" comment.

This forum needs a thumbs up and down system.

SFCRoOKs
05-14-2012, 8:19 PM
I plan on getting one of these for a range toy

Gatotsu77
05-14-2012, 9:52 PM
Hey, I keep mine next to the bed, perhaps I should start a similar workout routine. Imagine the looks on the sheeple's faces when responding to their inquiries about your workout routine with "I curl my MP5 30 times before bed." :p

Oh, and I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot with my initial questions, I kinda abbreviated my response as I was on my cell phone at the time. Wasn't trying to bash you at all or question your methods, just wanted to make sure all of the ducks were in a row.

I've been running mine lightly to moderately oiled with CorrosionX, (only oil I've got on hand right now, and it works well) and it has performed beautifully thus far.. oh, and I did turn the recoil spring nut another 3 turns clockwise from factory. (for a total of 4.5 from flush) If/when you do a full disassembly... trust me, you want that receiver end pointed right into your lap where you can control the parts flying out. I spent 1.5 hours chasing a steel plunger that flew half-way across my living room. -_-

Sheperd80
05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
If/when you do a full disassembly... trust me, you want that receiver end pointed right into your lap where you can control the parts flying out. I spent 1.5 hours chasing a steel plunger that flew half-way across my living room. -_-

Thx for the tip ill keep that in mind. Ive spread a gun buying disease in my family but for some reason the cleaning and maintaining part of that disease isnt contagious, so ill probably be doing it alot more than my stepson.

Gatotsu77
05-15-2012, 5:31 PM
I elected to quote a post of mine, as it is relevant to the break-down and cleaning of the MP5. (and comes with a crummy cell-phone picture of the upper receiver separated from the upper receiver shell)

Updated Report:

I've since taken the MP5 to the range for another plinking session, this time shooting another 620 rounds. Again, the only cleaning I did while at the range was to run a couple wet and a couple dry patches down the bore after around 250-300 rounds. Once again, not a single hiccup, and this was across CCI Stingers, CCI Blazers, and Federal Bulk. I am very pleased with this rifle, and I imagine I will be even more so once I mount a red-dot sight on it. (I don't mind the iron sights, but at the indoor range, the low-light doesn't help much)

Today, I disassembled the rifle much further than is recommended by the manual, as I don't believe in the "spray it out with some spray-solvent, and it'll be good to go" concept the owner's manual perpetuates. I spent some time over on HKPro.com reading and checking out various photos, and set out to work on my rifle. Disassembly is rather simple, to be honest.

I started by field-stripping the weapon, and unscrewing the fake suppressor. That thing is much heavier than I'd have figured it to be, but it makes sense when handling the rifle now. (it would balance very awkwardly if it didn't have that extra weight out front) I then loosened the 3 hex-head screws on the frame of the gun using the supplied allen key. This allows the metallic frame/bolt rail system to be removed from the shell of the weapon. I'll admit, even though I'd seen photos, the barrel was thinner than I thought it would be.

I started cleaning up the frame and rails which the bolt rides on, but realized that moving the bolt back and forward under spring pressure was a bit noisome. I opted to remove the recoil spring, via the bolt on the back of the upper-receiver. Attempting to be slow and meticulous with it, I unscrewed it about half a turn, eased up pressure, and re-adjusted my grip before the next half-turn, hoping that I'd be able to grip the screw as it comes out to retain the spring and plungers. I must have turned the screw just enough that it felt secure, but not enough to prevent the spring from working it loose, as once I'd fully let go of the allen key, the spring and plunger came flying out, shooting the plunger off to lord knows where. All I had to go off of was a single sound from it hitting something... and after an hour and a half of searching, I found it. (yes, I need to clean my apartment.. recovering from a spinal injury has prevented much in the way of cleaning for me these last 4-5 months) I cannot stress enough... if you do go ahead and strip down the weapon in this fashion, either keep the receiver facing a direction that will control the expelled spring/plunger, or do so in a room where finding small parts would be very easy. (wooden floor with little to no furniture would be great.. I would never do this in a garage.. too many places for the darn thing to go)

Continuing on with my cleaning, I chose not to separate the halves of the metal receiver, though it would have made my job easier. (I didn't want to mess with having to re-align the barrel, though it doesn't seem as though I would have had much if any issue doing so) Once I'd finally gotten most of the junk out (boy was that thing DIRTY!) I re-oiled the receiver, and re-installed the recoil spring. I had read that it is best done with 3 hands, but I found a rather easy method which worked for me. Sitting in my computer chair, I placed the barrel against the seat pad, and fed the recoil spring in with my right hand, while using my left thumb-nail to hold it in place while I re-grip and feed it further in. The same method was used for getting the rear plunger on the spring, and installation of the hex bolt was a breeze. (just rotated the receiver rather than trying to turn the allen key and risk having the whole thing shoot out again)

Re-assembly into the upper "shell" was pretty straightforward - slide the receiver back into the shell, insert the rear takedown pin, and tighten the 3 hex-screws which were loosened during disassembly. I then threaded the "suppressor" back onto the barrel.

Cleaning the trigger-assembly was fairly quick and easy, though I opted not to disassemble it. (most of the gunk stayed up inside the upper receiver and shell, very little made it down into the trigger group) I imagine I'll eventually have to disassemble it to clean it, but hopefully that isn't for another 5-10k rounds or so.

I probably should have taken a photo of each step along the way, but I didn't really feel like washing my hands and having to mess with my cell phone along the way. I did take one photo of the rifle disassembled... I'll upload it to photobucket and post it shortly.

Even though the detailed-cleaning of this weapon is a bit of a pain, I'm still more than satisfied with my purchase, and am excited to get this weapon back to the range. :)

Edit: Here's a photo of the gun mostly disassembled. (not pictured: "silencer" shroud)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/animefan73/Random%20Stuff/2012-04-15191455.jpg

Sheperd80
05-15-2012, 5:53 PM
Great, this will come in handy when we get her home on friday :) thx

MaxB33
05-16-2012, 8:56 AM
Heavy? When I pick one up it was extremely light. The bolt was crisp and the receivers were sturdy. The only problem with it was the collapsible stock which was flimsy. About the ammo, you gotta go win Winchester. Stay away from blazer. If the bolt was lubed it should have shot great.
I have a Colt M4 22lr and it is nice with add ons and has only jammed using blazer ammo. 650 rounds of Winchester-flawless. Although, the MP5 (GSG5) was remarkably lighter than my M4, but it sounds like your son is going to enjoy the hell out of it

gose
05-16-2012, 9:01 AM
So are the HK/Umarex .22s worse than the GSG ones?

Gatotsu77
05-16-2012, 11:29 AM
So are the HK/Umarex .22s worse than the GSG ones?

Quite the contrary; to all of the research I've done, and having held each weapon side-by side, (I have never shot nor do I own the GSG) the HK Umares appears to be the superior product.

Also, to respond to another post regarding CCI Blazer ammo: I've had zero issues with Blazer or Federal Bulk, (maroon red box) though I've only run a couple hundred rounds of Blazer so far. (and about 150 CCI Stingers, along with ~2k federal bulk, and 20 rounds of Wolf MT to see what it would do.. Zero failures on all accounts)

SkiTTleKiLLeR
05-22-2012, 6:48 PM
i had both the gsg5 and the hk mp5, both were the SD version and the mp5 is heavier and i haven't had a ftf or fte yet. i use federal, cci mini mags and subsonic ammo.

This gun is a solid 22. accurate, reliable, and built to last. the gsg5 was pretty good but i had fte and its composed of too many plastic parts. It felt more like an airsoft gun. I'm sure if the hk mp5 was lighter they would say the same, thats why its heavy. Plus they was trying to copy every aspect of the 9mm version.

I seen people say the hk 22lr not good but only reasonable fact they can really say is its heavy and cost too much. Other then that its a damn good 22 rifle. thats my 2000 round option of this gun.

My HK MP5 22LR
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8271/dsc00289x.jpg