PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P .40 FS vs Glock 23, pros, cons

USMC 82-86
05-02-2012, 6:01 PM
Well I am checking out both guns. I know the full size M&P is not exactly the same size as a G23. I like the size of the G23 and I prefer the FS M&P vs the compact M&P.

I have shot both at the range and shoot both guns well. The M&P feels a little better than the Glock but not so much as to be a deal breaker. I do like the look of the M&P better no question. I have a G19 and it is a great gun so I am familiar with the Glock and the way it shoots. I have no experience with either gun in .40 cal other than range time with a rental of each gun. I have a Sig p226R in .40 and it is a shooter.

I am looking for pros and cons of each gun based on personal experience. I know all about the which ever feels best or shoots best responses, as I mentioned I can live with either gun as far as feel and my ability to shoot them well.

I am basically looking for what you like or don't like about each gun based on your experience with each gun and specifically in .40 cal.

If you have had issues what are they and were they easily corrected or made good. I have searched the internet but prefer to hear from folks here based on personal experience. If you own both even better. Is the M&P as reliable as the Glock? All info appreciated.

ArcherDog
05-02-2012, 6:43 PM
I went with the M&P because it looked better and felt better in my hands.

lilro
05-02-2012, 7:38 PM
Buy the G23 and a lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel. Then sell the G19. Then buy the M&P.

Roscoes Dad
05-02-2012, 7:41 PM
I have 1 of each + have 9mm conversion barrels for both .No issues ever both guns have worked flawlessly with any ammo I've run through them(2000 + rds ea).
The M&P feels better in my hand my wife likes the Glock.We both prefer the trigger feel and reset of the G23. Can't really say anything bad about either.

Just to clarify: my problem with the feel on the G23 is the finger grooves ,I have thick fingers and
the grooves just don't fit.The M&P just has a much more natural feel for me.

gl0ckc0ma
05-02-2012, 7:47 PM
I went with the M&P40, it felt way better in my hands. The Glock23 just felt awful when I shot it, I had to reset my grip after every round.

just my 2 cents.

I suggest you go to a range and rent both like I did and choose the one that feels good for you (most likely the M&P haha).

emtmark
05-02-2012, 7:58 PM
Have a 23 with a ghost 3.5 and love it!

9mmepiphany
05-02-2012, 9:18 PM
S&W designed their M&P line to fit between the Glock sizes. Their compact is between the G27 and G23, while their full size gun is between the G23 and G22.

A couple of things really set the M&P40 FS and the G23 apart.

The M&P40 is designed around the .40 cartridge and feels more comfortable (less felt recoil) in my hand.

The G23 is a rechambered G19 which was designed around the 9mm cartridge. While the 9mm Glocks have a great reliability record, just about any issues you'll hear about usually occur with the .40 caliber models