PDA

View Full Version : Sten Build Party? FAL?

joash
03-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I see a ton of activity on the AK building threads, but how about a Sten or FAL building party?

Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to get one going, but I'd love to attend some day.

kcstott
03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Maybe next year when I've gotten my current projects out of the way.
AK pistol, Need parts kit
Galil rifle, need parts kit and reweld receiver
.338 Lapua Sniper rifle, Build is in progress 26 weeks for a Kreiger barrel
Express sights for my Mauser
Then get a S&W .460 Oh Yeah!!

A sten is not going to be a cheep build though. $300 for the parts kit $75 to $150 for a tube. Then $250 or more for the semi auto parts. Thats what it cost me to put together an AR.

Krill
03-23-2012, 9:49 PM
does anyone even have fal part kits available still?

Obviously a Plant
03-23-2012, 11:20 PM
What are the gun laws like in Antarctica? Are kits easy to get there?

straykiller
03-24-2012, 12:13 AM
id be down for a fal build party if its set far enough ahead fo me to buy everything i need

thedrickel
03-24-2012, 8:00 AM
There aren't enough sten kits or fal kits out there any more to justify having a build party. I have a lot of other comments about people w/ no knowledge, tools or facilities wanting to "attend" build parties at other people's places, that I'm going to withold because I don't feel like getting banned.

joash
03-25-2012, 7:50 AM
There aren't enough sten kits or fal kits out there any more to justify having a build party. I have a lot of other comments about people w/ no knowledge, tools or facilities wanting to "attend" build parties at other people's places, that I'm going to withold because I don't feel like getting banned.

Build parties vary, but from what I've read on the AK build party threads, beginners are highly encouraged.

808xd357sig
03-25-2012, 5:24 PM
id be down for a FAL build party, been sitting on an kit that has been refinshed by Frontline Armory for the better part of 9+ years (back when Tapco used to sell mostly FAL stuff):oji:

mrlonewolf
03-25-2012, 5:41 PM
FAL builders.

I'd recommend you to start looking for a good receiver and compliance parts. An excellent option is DSA, their products are just simply great.

Another alternative if you are building based on a metric kit is an Imbel receiver.

Good luck.

sass2924
03-25-2012, 6:36 PM
I was looking at some fal kits but dont know how to tell the make or if it's inch or or metric, either does the one selling them. would like to build one but with my luck I'd get a kit and never find a build party.

mrlonewolf
03-25-2012, 6:44 PM
I was looking at some fal kits but dont know how to tell the make or if it's inch or or metric, either does the one selling them. would like to build one but with my luck I'd get a kit and never find a build party.

Really....:whistling:

chiz
03-25-2012, 6:54 PM
Build parties vary, but from what I've read on the AK build party threads, beginners are highly encouraged.

the problems with having a bunch of newbs at a build party is you have to hold their hand the entire time. thats not bad if you have 5 helpers and 10 builders its easy. I have had to tell people every single step how to build an AK and it takes up a lot of time. tell them to remove the pins from the old gas block and they just look at you and say how do I do that. "go find a punch and hammer, put it in the vise and knock the pins out." You turn around 2 minutes later and they are trying to get them out with a flat head screwdriver and a rubber mallet. Not to mention the wear and tear they put on your tools. Also getting a bunch of people together for a build party is no good if no one knows what the are doing.

nick
03-25-2012, 6:56 PM
Well, if someone wants to do a FAL, Sten, Sterling, Bren, M-53, VZ-58, Suomi KP-31 or KP-44, MAC, PPSh, PPS, RDP, DP-28, or some other build party, I'm game. Come to think of it, I need to finish my M1919A4 too.

mrlonewolf
03-25-2012, 7:01 PM
Be patient Grasshopper.

*Edit...don't be lazy and finish that 1919.

BucDan
03-25-2012, 7:41 PM
Mhmmm FAL.

straykiller
03-25-2012, 8:34 PM
Well, if someone wants to do a FAL, Sten, Sterling, Bren, M-53, VZ-58, Suomi KP-31 or KP-44, MAC, PPSh, PPS, RDP, DP-28, or some other build party, I'm game. Come to think of it, I need to finish my M1919A4 too.

its just a couple of rivets you can do it.

Muscles Glasses
03-25-2012, 8:52 PM
I would be interested in a sterling party. Does anybody know where you can get rebuild kits for the mags?

Actually does anyone know where I can get magazine rebuild kits for any of those sub machine gun kits that seem to be plentiful right now like the pps-43, fmk-3, or the carl gustav swedish m45?

joash
03-28-2012, 1:57 PM
You make a good point. Maybe there should be a special party for noobs. I freely admit I have no clue how to build anything but I'd like to learn. It's not my intention to be a moocher.

the problems with having a bunch of newbs at a build party is you have to hold their hand the entire time. thats not bad if you have 5 helpers and 10 builders its easy. I have had to tell people every single step how to build an AK and it takes up a lot of time. tell them to remove the pins from the old gas block and they just look at you and say how do I do that. "go find a punch and hammer, put it in the vise and knock the pins out." You turn around 2 minutes later and they are trying to get them out with a flat head screwdriver and a rubber mallet. Not to mention the wear and tear they put on your tools. Also getting a bunch of people together for a build party is no good if no one knows what the are doing.

fourduce
06-03-2012, 8:07 PM
what is the difference between a MK11 and MK111? They look the same to me

MadRiverArms
06-03-2012, 8:30 PM
what is the difference between a MK11 and MK111? They look the same to me

Mark III
This simple design was the next most commonly produced after the Mark II. It was a simplification of the Mk I made both in Canada and the UK. Lines Bros Ltd was the largest manufacturer. The biggest difference from the Mark II was the unification of the receiver, ejection port, and barrel shroud that now extended farther up the barrel. The barrel was fixed and the body was welded shut along the centre of the top.

Taken from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten

-MRA

MadRiverArms
06-03-2012, 8:32 PM
does anyone even have fal part kits available still?

Saw a post over at the Falfiles about Apex having some BGS kits recently. Sadly they were OOS by the time I checked. Reports and posted pictures indicate that they were pretty nice kits.

-MRA

Robidouxs
06-04-2012, 8:17 AM
sarco and entreprise have some but they aren't cheap, but no kits really are anymore.

I had one of the Sarco kits. Well worth the price. Kit was new, perfect condition. The barrel was also perfect condition, never used.

tuolumnejim
06-04-2012, 8:57 AM
Maybe next year when I've gotten my current projects out of the way.
AK pistol, Need parts kit
Galil rifle, need parts kit and reweld receiver
.338 Lapua Sniper rifle, Build is in progress 26 weeks for a Kreiger barrel
Express sights for my Mauser
Then get a S&W .460 Oh Yeah!!

A sten is not going to be a cheep build though. $300 for the parts kit $75 to $150 for a tube. Then $250 or more for the semi auto parts. Thats what it cost me to put together an AR.
:eek: I guess I should have bought more ten packs when Tapco was selling them for 19.99 each.

Cali-V
06-04-2012, 8:59 AM

Drick
I can across a FAL kit'ish...
It's not complete and I'm having a problem making heads or tails of it...
Need you help... Feel free to pm me any comments you might have... :)

Tallestsniper
06-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I know a guy who has an extra m3 sten kit and its not 300,tabs intact,barrel strong bore. He wants 220 shipped. I almost got it, but I have too much on my plate with school right now. No, this isnt a classifieds add, im jus saying good kits are less than 3hundie. Pretty sure he still has it.