PDA

View Full Version : Front Iron sight removal

BigBoyPinoy8/72
03-19-2012, 10:03 AM
I have an AR15, Stag Arms lower and CMMG upper. I'm Trying to replace my ejector port cover and I've taken it to a couple of gunsmith already and they both can't remove the front iron sight. In order for the gunsmith to replace the ejector port cover he must remove the iron sight with the gas block, then remove the barrel lock nut. They both contacted CMMG and both were told to just remove the retaining pin and 2 allen head screws and the iron sight should come off but ti didn't. Do you guys have any other suggestions to remove the iron sight that won't come off. By the way both the gunsmith have used heat to try to remove the sights incase the sight had locktite. Please HELP!!!!

m16
03-19-2012, 1:06 PM
I'm not following you here, why does the gas block need to come off?

Why can't they just remove the gas tube, loosen the barrel nut and take out the entire barrel with the gas block still installed?

ETA: might wanna ask to have this moved out of the gallery forum

BigBoyPinoy8/72
03-21-2012, 4:45 PM
According to the gunsmith in order for the ejector port cover to be replaced the front sight has to be removed. The front sight is holding the gas tube in place which holds the barrel nut in place which the barrel nut is in the way of the retaining pin for the ejector port cover
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140868&stc=1&d=1332377009

BigBoyPinoy8/72
03-21-2012, 4:50 PM
But for some god forsaking reason the damn front sight won't come off.

GettoPhilosopher
03-21-2012, 5:27 PM
#1: This is the RIFLE GALLERY. It's for pictures of rifles. Ask a mod to move this to the rifle forum.

#2: If your gunsmith can't remove a gas tube without stripping the entire barrel (a process that takes 30 seconds and requires only a mallet and a punch), feel free to come visit me in SoCal. I'll do the entire job in 5 minutes for you, and I'll charge you a can of Monster. :P

NiteQwill
03-21-2012, 6:04 PM
A mallet... Seriously. Front sights take seconds to remove after a few whacks.

GettoPhilosopher
03-22-2012, 9:23 AM
A mallet... Seriously. Front sights take seconds to remove after a few whacks.

Not even necessary!

1: remove the upper from the lower and take out the BCG and charging handle.
2: use a punch (or small nail) and a mallet to remove the gas tube roll pin.
3: pull the gas tube back into the upper far enough for the front to clear the gas block.
4: rotate and pull the gas tube out of the upper towards the muzzle (to the side of the gas block).

Done.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

QuarterBoreGunner
03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Moved to 'GUNSMITHING AND HOW-TO'

And why the heck does the front sight base need to be removed again? Seriously, GettoPhilosopher laid it all out.

I'd maybe re-think that particular gunsmith, that said the FSB needed to come off. Just sayin'

CHS
03-22-2012, 1:40 PM
You don't even need to do all that.

Just install the ejection port cover from the rear. I've done it at least a dozen times. Works like a charm. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the microscopic e-clip, but PAY ATTENTION to where it goes because it's small and easy to lose. Then put your finger on the spring, and pull the pin out to the rear. Once it's out, re-install everything the way you removed it. Use a pair of small needle-nose pliers to re-install the e-clip. It helps to put a rubber band around the handle to hold them closed for you.

You don't have to even TOUCH anything on the barrel.

GettoPhilosopher
03-22-2012, 1:45 PM

Just install the ejection port cover from the rear. I've done it at least a dozen times. Works like a charm. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the microscopic e-clip, but PAY ATTENTION to where it goes because it's small and easy to lose. Then put your finger on the spring, and pull the pin out to the rear. Once it's out, re-install everything the way you removed it. Use a pair of small needle-nose pliers to re-install the e-clip. It helps to put a rubber band around the handle to hold them closed for you.

Thanks man, I assumed you could do it that way but wasn't going to advise something I'd never tried. :)

CHS
03-22-2012, 2:20 PM
Thanks man, I assumed you could do it that way but wasn't going to advise something I'd never tried. :)

When you have the right tools, it's actually SLIGHTLY easier to do it out the front by removing the gas tube and loosening the barrel nut, but going out the back is faster and can be done at home by anyone as long as you're diligent about not losing the microscopic e-clip.

Thing is, to go out the front you need a good upper vise block, sturdy vise, barrel nut wrench, armorers block for the front sight and a 1/16" roll pin punch. A little piece of leather and a pair of vice grips makes pulling out the gas tube easier too, especially on an upper with a lot of rounds through it.

So yeah, use the rear entrance :)

five.five-six
03-22-2012, 2:30 PM
I might rethink why you are going to this particular gunsmith

GettoPhilosopher
03-22-2012, 3:57 PM
So yeah, use the rear entrance :)

0_o

http://cdn.instanttrap.com/trap.jpg

BigBoyPinoy8/72
03-23-2012, 11:49 AM

My AR doesn't come with a e clip;( if it was that easy I'd do it my self. But certain tools needed which i don't have.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140868&d=1332377009

BigBoyPinoy8/72
03-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the help & suggestion fellas. I will try another gunsmith:2guns:

CHS
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
My AR doesn't come with a e clip;( if it was that easy I'd do it my self. But certain tools needed which i don't have.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140868&d=1332377009

If there's no e-clip, then what is holding the pin in place? Without an e-clip you should be able to just slide it out the rear.

CHS
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the help & suggestion fellas. I will try another gunsmith:2guns:

Where are you located? If you're near Orange County I'll be at a shop tomorrow evening where I can do this for you for free.

GettoPhilosopher
03-23-2012, 2:01 PM
Where are you located? If you're near Orange County I'll be at a shop tomorrow evening where I can do this for you for free.

And as I offered earlier, if you're closer to LA I can also do this for free.

BigBoyPinoy8/72
03-25-2012, 3:53 PM

I live in the bay area, I wished I live close to LA then i wouldn't mind driving. There is no e-clip as you mentioned. Look @ the pic then you would see the retaining pin. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=141428&stc=1&d=1332719571

GettoPhilosopher
03-26-2012, 12:52 AM
I live in the bay area, I wished I live close to LA then i wouldn't mind driving. There is no e-clip as you mentioned. Look @ the pic then you would see the retaining pin. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=141428&stc=1&d=1332719571

The e clip attaches to the retaining pin on the barrel side. It is what keeps the pin from slipping out the back. If you carefully remove the e clip, you can pull the pin out the back. Alternately, use the method I described earlier.

Don't make me post a video. ;)

CHS
03-26-2012, 7:43 AM
I live in the bay area, I wished I live close to LA then i wouldn't mind driving. There is no e-clip as you mentioned.

Since there's no e-clip holding the pin in, just pull it out to the left.

Akers
03-26-2012, 7:47 AM
Are you sure that it isn't pinned on? Either way, no need to take it off.