PDA

View Full Version : SKS Light Primer Strikes

Glocker619
03-14-2012, 9:08 PM
Hey Fellas,

I have come across a problem recently with my yugo SKS. I have started getting some light primer strikes, when I put the same round that wouldnt go off in the SKS in my draco it fires fine.

My first thought was firing pin, but then after doing some research it could also be a hammer spring:confused:

I have had my SKS for about 8 years and have never had a problem with it, but I heard this is somewhat common if the gun was stored "cocked" for an extended period of time.

My SKS is a great rifle used to be my old trusty rifle and I am now starting to doubt it, please help!!!

NorCalK9.com
03-14-2012, 9:25 PM
Did you take the bolt apart?

fal_762x51
03-15-2012, 12:36 AM
I am thinking the same as Norcal. Take the bolt down and blast the firing pin channel with brake cleaner. You my have gotten primer sealant or other crud in there.

Johnnyfres
03-15-2012, 7:42 AM
Does your bolt have a rattle to it? If not you have a problem. Do like these guys say and break down the bolt. Check the firing ping for crud.

Does the action on the rifle feel strange at all?

Glocker619
03-16-2012, 6:07 AM
OK, so I try to break down the firing pin, but I think u need a vice and punch which I don't have. So instead I soaked it in parts wash and it seemed to free up the firing pin a bit more.

I am going to try and take it shooting sat to see if it helps and will probably pick up a punch set/vice as well.

Thanks for the help, I will let you know of it works.

Mail Clerk
03-16-2012, 6:23 AM
Glocker619,

If you indeed stored your SKS with the hammer back for a good period of time for sure the spring is MUSH! Obviously it needs to be replaced. In the future NEVER store your rifle in that fashion.

Mail Clerk:oji: