PDA

View Full Version : .22 is lethal

Jack L
03-01-2012, 6:58 AM
Always lots of discussion on lethal calibers. A .22 can kill and have many times. Ask any coroner or medic. Robert Kennedy was killed with a .22. President Reagan was shot with a .22 but survived luckily but may others have not. And again, this young man used a MK III Target to do his hideous deed. So...........beware

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46580398/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/

XDRoX
03-01-2012, 7:15 AM
Is someone arguing that a 22 is not lethal?

It's a stupid choice for SD if other calibers are an option. Other calibers are more suited for SD. But I doubt anyone is going to argue that it's not a lethal round...

LovingTheYear1911
03-01-2012, 7:20 AM
That little bullet goes in someone, bounces around inside of them, tearing nerves, arteries, etc. Yes it's deadly.

Roach_Infinity
03-01-2012, 7:23 AM

It's a stupid choice for SD if other calibers are an option. Other calibers are more suited for SD. But I doubt anyone is going to argue that it's not a lethal round...

Thats right suckers! In San Diego we use .44 mag's! :p

-Eric

XDRoX
03-01-2012, 7:51 AM

-Eric

How's the weather at the beach today? I want to head down to Kono's tomorrow morning. I'm in La Mesa right now. It's actually clearing up.

shooterdude
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
All guns are lethal.

Deucer
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Lethality is different than "stopping power". I've heard that a .22 does not have enough "stopping power", but I've never seen it seriously written on this website that it's not lethal.

Press Check
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
I've killed many paper targets with a .22 Buckmark.

llamatrnr
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
All guns bullets are lethal.

Fixed it for ya ;)

wikioutdoor
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
beware of what ? if I shoot you point blank in the eye with a paint ball gun with frozen paint balls you will probably die too. or a bb gun or a nail gun.

Lead Waster
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM

It's not a smart choice for Self Defense, but might be a good choice for MURDER.

(I watched Assassins, I know! Also, the Sopranos!)

shooterdude
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
All guns bullets are lethal.

Fixed it for ya ;)

No you didn't. I wrote exactly what I meant to say.

Furthermore, this is a forum about firearms so in the context of the overriding topic my comment was appropriate.

Bug Splat
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Damn it, lock up your guns people, even if you don't have kids. IMO, the uncle should be charged. Every time there is a school shooting its because some idiot left a gun around the house for the teens to get. :mad:

tbc
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
It is unfortunate that this type of incidents tainted all firearm owners.

But if looking at a bigger picture physicians / hospitals are the worst.

SAR_boats
03-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Not news.

skyscraper
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes, we know this.

/end caliber debate

hybridatsun350
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
No one has ever said it's not deadly. More people die from .22lr shots than any other round. However, in most cases, it is not an ethical round to use when hunting. Yes, it kills things (including people), but it often makes for a long and unpleasant death. I think most hunters prefer a quick, clean kill and .22 often fails to do that. That's the only debate I've seen around the effectiveness/deadliness of .22lr.

MrExel17
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
All guns are lethal.

:iagree:

jcaoloveshine
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
"“There is a widespread misconception that if you talk to your child about guns they will know enough about how to act around a gun. The problem is, they are still children and studies show, over and over, they will not act as an adult will around a gun,” says Laura Cutilletta, a senior staff attorney with Legal Community Against Violence, a public
interest law center dedicated to preventing gun violence, located in San Francisco."

(sounds like another Medusa offshoot of the Brady Bunch)

Laura Cutilletta needs to shut her mouth and go back to leeching off the state payroll. The more time she spends spouting about gun issues, the less time she has to think of the children, especially the "at risk" youth :rolleyes:

Jack L
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
It's not a smart choice for Self Defense, but might be a good choice for MURDER.

(I watched Assassins, I know! Also, the Sopranos!)

How correct your are. At times in history .22 caliber was used for just that by criminals and tested by our military for assignations.. Another poster pointed out more humans die from .22 than any other caliber..good point, I did not know that. This may be true in the USA. During my carrier the tragic incidents were the youngsters who had access to .22 caliber firearms and either accidently shot themselves or a friend or did it to commit suicide. I always thought is was in part due to the caliber not being taken that seriously and therefore the rifles (mostly) were left unlocked with available ammo in the residence.

"A variant of the World War II-era High Standard target pistol was used as the basis for the High Standard HDM suppressed military model used by the Office of Strategic Services and later the US Military and Central Intelligence Agency."

NapaCountyShooter
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
You can kill someone with a damn slingshot. That doesn't mean I wouldn't pick my .45 over it if given the choice.

Roach_Infinity
03-01-2012, 12:47 PM
How's the weather at the beach today? I want to head down to Kono's tomorrow morning. I'm in La Mesa right now. It's actually clearing up.

I'm stuck in Clairemont working, its overcast, surf report this morning was dismal anyway.

-Eric

DDRH
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
So is the spoon and fork i'm using for lunch, it's lethal if you can use it the right way...but would you use a spoon or fork, when you have a gun?

;)

fanof1911forlife
03-01-2012, 1:25 PM
I have placed thousands of .22's on paper targets and soda cans with extreme prejudice.

Jack L
03-01-2012, 2:13 PM
Damn it, lock up your guns people, even if you don't have kids. IMO, the uncle should be charged. Every time there is a school shooting its because some idiot left a gun around the house for the teens to get. :mad:

That State may soon try to educate their population and change the law. Look for one or more of the slain children's parents to start a crusade and we can't blame them. We hate most firearm laws but it goes to show that adults can be non complainant to common sense unless there are some guidelines with teeth.

Happy to see how many use gun safes for weapons and ammo on this forum;

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=542152

llamatrnr
03-01-2012, 2:51 PM

Furthermore, this is a forum about firearms so in the context of the overriding topic my comment was appropriate.

Okay, no offense intended . . .:(

llamatrnr
03-01-2012, 3:40 PM

Okay, no offense intended . . .:(

Sac-AR15
03-01-2012, 4:06 PM

Totally agree!

gun505
03-01-2012, 4:16 PM

-Eric
this :rolleyes:

negolien
03-01-2012, 4:17 PM
Your troll is weak young jedi :facepalm:

five.five-six
03-01-2012, 4:22 PM
.22lr is the leathelest round ever invented, it is only due to shear stupidity that armieys, polises departments and bug game hunters al over the world have not adopted it

chim-chim7
03-01-2012, 4:36 PM
What's the point of this. We all know .22 is lethal. Preaching to the choir. At the same time my car is lethal, my shovel, pick-axe, my machete, my hands, my bat, crowbar, tire iron, flashlight, fork, steak knife, broken glass, rocks, rebar, sticks, my wifes cooking, toasters, hair dryers, falls from stairs, methane gas, gasoline, chlorine, rat poison, muskets, hydraulic presses, the butt of a Desert Eagle, Cops, yes Cops are lethal, frozen paintballs, nail clippers, well you get the idea.

alfred1222
03-01-2012, 4:40 PM
Lethality is different than "stopping power". I've heard that a .22 does not have enough "stopping power", but I've never seen it seriously written on this website that it's not lethal.

this. you can shoot someone with a .22, and maybe nick an artery or puncture something internally, and they might bleed out 10 minutes to 2 days later. that doesnt change the fact that whoever it is that you shot still had the time to beat u to death and walk away. shoot that guy with a .45, and hes stopped on the ground

The War Wagon
03-01-2012, 4:57 PM
It's NOT my first, second third, fourth, or fifth choice for self-defense, but it IS the 6th caliber I own - 3 firearms chambered for it. I still won't volunteer to jump in FRONT of a speeding round of it, however! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon11.gif

den888
03-01-2012, 5:14 PM
I would guess that most homicides or suicides are committed with a .22LR. It's easy to get and common.

InGrAM
03-01-2012, 5:32 PM
It is not a question on whether a .22 caliber firearm is lethal or not, it is a question of how long will it take for the person trying to kill you to be stopped or die.

shooterdude
03-01-2012, 5:58 PM
this. you can shoot someone with a .22, and maybe nick an artery or puncture something internally, and they might bleed out 10 minutes to 2 days later. that doesnt change the fact that whoever it is that you shot still had the time to beat u to death and walk away. shoot that guy with a .45, and hes stopped on the ground

BS.

five.five-six
03-01-2012, 5:59 PM
if I can hit my target 37 times in the time it tacks u to miss with your 45 3 times, id say that the 22 has moar stoping powers

hornswaggled
03-01-2012, 6:06 PM
I've always heard that Israeli Mossad carry .22 SMGs and after identifying their target, light them up spewing rimfire brass all over the place.

LoadedM333
03-01-2012, 6:08 PM
It's lethal but not my choice for SD..

Ergo the Qualmed
03-01-2012, 6:17 PM
I've seen (what seemed to me anyway) severe fragmentation from a hi-velocity hollowpoint w/in 50 yds or so. Or, at least, the temporary cavity was bigger than the varmint, because it...ruptured. I generally always doubt the notion that .22 "bounces" around, or at least any more than another round.

And yeah, it's morons who leave unsecured firearms around like that, who give us a bad name. I also wish the kid would be tried as an adult. It's just such a sickening situation.

BrokerB
03-01-2012, 6:24 PM
A particular sog member who walked the ho chi man trails in s.e.a. Was a big fan of his suppressed .22

I guess if you are badass enough to have a viet cong walk by you and you hold it to his head at point blank with no noise . It absolutly works . But those guys are the real deal not the current groups of vidiots with tactical tools

Indiscriminate Killer
03-01-2012, 6:53 PM
Always lots of discussion on lethal calibers. A .22 can kill and have many times. Ask any coroner or medic. Robert Kennedy was killed with a .22. President Reagan was shot with a .22 but survived luckily but may others have not. And again, this young man used a MK III Target to do his hideous deed. So...........beware

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46580398/ns/us_news-christian_science_monitor/ Reagan was shot with a .38... not a .22 :cool2:

VegasND
03-01-2012, 7:28 PM
Interesting information -- can you demonstrate your skills by loading a .38 into Hinckley's revolver?
Reagan was shot with a .38... not a .22 :cool2:
http://www.faqs.org/espionage/images/eeis_01_img0069.jpg

BlackonBlack
03-01-2012, 8:24 PM
Cmon all bullets are lethal! Even high powered pellet rifles are! My mom sat on a murder trial where a guy died instantly after being shot once in the chest with a 22 pistol. There is no argument to weather or not a 22 is lethal, it's more an argument to weather someone should carry a more lethally chambered handgun.

the_midwesterner
03-01-2012, 8:36 PM
I've killed many paper targets with a .22 Buckmark.
I lolled hard at this!!!!

HalfEvil
03-01-2012, 8:58 PM
I thought we've all known this for several years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre

Jack L
03-02-2012, 6:54 AM
Reagan was shot with a .38... not a .22 :cool2:

Hinckley fired a Röhm RG-14 .22 cal.[18] blue steel revolver six times in 1.7 seconds,[6]:82[15] missing the president with all six shots

Google it. All reliable sources say the same................

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03/30/attempted-assassination-president-ronald-reagan/#/10

Jack L
03-02-2012, 6:57 AM
I thought we've all known this for several years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre

Lots of members are too young to remember this info. Thank you for posting it.

Just-in
03-02-2012, 6:59 AM
Tell you what... I wouldn't want to get hit with any bullet or projectile BB gun nuthin'.

Indiscriminate Killer
03-02-2012, 9:58 AM
Hinckley fired a Röhm RG-14 .22 cal.[18] blue steel revolver six times in 1.7 seconds,[6]:82[15] missing the president with all six shots

Google it. All reliable sources say the same................

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03/30/attempted-assassination-president-ronald-reagan/#/10 Looks like the history channel has failed me again. :facepalm:

robert101
03-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Acutally I thought all firearms were lethal. Not sure the intent of the post. Cars kill too but not my choice for self-defense. They are just to big to carry.

Moto4Fun
03-02-2012, 2:33 PM
The car is probably the BEST option for self defense. Not only can it be used as a projectile (not the best use, but it can be done), it can be used as a barrier, it can be used to expedite escape/seperation from a situation, and unlike all handgun ammo, it has REAL stopping power.

Joking aside, .22 is a pretty whimpy round and not advised for self defense IF you have better options available. But with the caliber debates materializing into "shot placement" campaigns, why would .22 be any different? If you hit the central nervous system or the heart with a .22, it will end the threat just as fast as 9mm , fotay, and .45. But unless you are shooting at naked people all of the time, you might find penetration to be an issue.

tal3nt
03-22-2012, 6:37 PM

So serious.

KandyRedCoi
03-22-2012, 9:27 PM
.22lr shooters are sick of hearing "weak" "toygun" "overpowered bb gun"

thats why some are quick to post things like this...dont get me wrong i own quite a few .22lr firearms and i will trust them just as much as any other calibers i own...

Merc1138
03-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Looks like the history channel has failed me again. :facepalm:

You used a tv channel that has "documentaries" about how aliens were responsible for the first thanksgiving(yes, I know that was southpark, but they blame aliens for everything from mayans to hitler) as a means to learn something?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3195/imnotsayingitwasaliensb.jpg

:p

But yes, the .22lr can be lethal and anyone who says it isn't... well they probably get their info from the history channel and a call of duty forum.

WolfSamurai
03-23-2012, 1:29 AM
Firearms are not lethal. The people that pick them up and use them are. A loaded gun sitting on a table is not dangerous. Only when someone picks it up does it become a danger.

Bartin
03-23-2012, 1:44 AM
So serious.

You felt the need to dig up this post for that insightful comment? :facepalm:

PsychGuy274
03-23-2012, 2:55 AM
http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2e/2e4abd26_1595201-oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpeg

bcsoftware
03-23-2012, 7:39 AM
All guns are lethal.

hot glue gun? water gun? radar gun? air soft gun? are we sure all guns are lethal.

bcsoftware
03-23-2012, 7:43 AM
Firearms are not lethal. The people that pick them up and use them are. A loaded gun sitting on a table is not dangerous. Only when someone picks it up does it become a danger.

wait scents when can common scents be used in a gun debate.

Lead Waster
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
The fact that a .22 is lethal was never in question. It's a question of WHEN is it lethal? Meaning you can kill a guy with a .22, but will he kill you before he dies of it?

But I'm not going to toss more gas on this caliber debate. What I CAN say about the .22 is that I really like the lower ammo prices and it's just as satisfying, if not more satisfying to plink cans or punch paper with a .22 than sending 50 cents downrange with every shot!

Lead Waster
03-23-2012, 10:18 AM
The fact that a .22 is lethal was never in question. It's a question of WHEN is it lethal? Meaning you can kill a guy with a .22, but will he kill you before he dies of it?

But I'm not going to toss more gas on this caliber debate. What I CAN say about the .22 is that I really like the lower ammo prices and it's just as satisfying, if not more satisfying to plink cans or punch paper with a .22 than sending 50 cents downrange with every shot!

authorization66
03-23-2012, 10:34 AM
hell, BB guns are deadly
1. http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nazareth/index.ssf/2010/06/victor_lovero_iii_of_lower_naz.html
2. Orange County City纳冈Laguna (Laguna Hills) 15-year-old Chinese Chen teenagers, a few days ago at their own backyard BB gun was hit by stray temple, unconscious, family members immediately rushed to him and the city of Riviere Mission (Mission Viejo) church Hospital, 3 night 8:15 pronounced dead.

It all depends on where it hits 'em and how it responds to layers (clothing, skin, bone, organs, etc.). Bottom line: yes, lethal

Stopping power is different conversation.

Question: Are there places where laws are different for different calibur firearms? i.e. .22 vs. 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45, etc.

03-23-2012, 1:42 PM
.22 ColibrÃ* - most lethalest

truep
03-23-2012, 5:41 PM
Caliber of choice of mafia hitmen.

DTatum
03-28-2012, 4:01 PM
Why is a .22 a "bad" option for home defense? Where am I off with my thinking?

1. If someone is illegally in your home and hears or feels a shot... do they really care what caliber it is?

2. If you're a dead aim with a .22 , but not as good with a 9mm or higher, why use the less accurate weapon?

3. I don't sleep with ear protection on, if I had to fire a 9mm in my bedroom, I don't know if I'd be able to think straight after the 1st shot, True, you don't intend to miss, but isn't it better to be able to fire multiple rounds if needed... vs deafening yourself? I've fired a .22 in a closed off space without ear protection, it felt less jarring than standing next to someone at the range firing a high caliber rifle while I was wearing ear protection.

negolien
03-28-2012, 7:41 PM
Yet people constantly argue about birdshot for a small area HD situation :facepalm: