PDA

View Full Version : I have a dilemma!

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 7:35 AM
I currently live in Utah...a wonderful free state. Machine guns, suppressors, "assault weapons"...all legal here. I'm coming back to California to finish school, and I feel my freedoms stripping away from me!

Anyways...I am planning on buying 3-4 pistols before I come back, as it'll be cheaper and easier for me to buy them here. I will be getting my CCW in California, and these pistols will be for carry.

The guns I want are a USP 40 compact, Glock 19, Glock 26, and a Nighthawk Talon II. The Talon II is the problem. I can't get the Talon II inside California (only one Talon II on the list and it's nothing like I want it. It'll cost me a small fortune to build it the way I want to in Cali, as I'd have to buy the approved Talon II, return it, and have it built to my specs. The problem is that to buy all 3-4 pistols, I have to stretch myself pretty thin. What would you guys do in my situation? On top of all that I have to get a non-threaded barrel for my USP .45 Tactical. :\

I HATE Cali's gun laws. I'm looking forward to coming back into the state; it's beautiful there, but it seems like I'm giving up a huge freedom.

Sal
04-05-2007, 7:41 AM
Good luck on your CCW in california.

as for having the model of talon II here in CA, you can buy pistols in your state, granted they have no illegal features (hicap mags, threaded barrel, etc.) and bring them with you into california. When you get it all filled out to be a resident of CA you can fill out the personal handgun importer form and send that into the DOJ with a $19 fee per handgun. These handguns are exempt from the "safe" list, so you can bring in any model pistol you want as long as its not a assault pistol by its characteristics.

TonyM
04-05-2007, 7:47 AM
What school are you going to, and are you sure your county will issue a CCW, many (most) won't even consider it and will try to talk you out of even submitting the application.

Personally, if I was outside California and happy.... I'd stay where I was. I have ties here, and I like it here, so I'm staying put for the time being, but would bet it would be different if I was already situated elsewhere.

I wouldn't stretch myself too thin just to buy guns, they're great, but unless you're a criminal or competitor, they won't get you food and shelter. It sounds like your stay here will be temporary, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're worried about a Federal ban while you are here, grab a few toys you can't even get here now, and stash them away in Utah for when you return.

Oh, from your tone, it sounds like you don't really like California. You are aware there are good schools in other states too, right? We don't want you to feel like a prisoner, or, well..... I don't want to hear you crying about it once you get here. ;)

scootergmc
04-05-2007, 8:06 AM
Your California CCW want is a pipe dream.

As far as what to do: Bring one gun with you, finish school, go back to Utah, and live free.

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 8:11 AM
I just moved out of California in December, but out of state tuition is insane. I was also in a great school in California (Cal Poly).

Also my parents own a home in Butte County, and from what I hear it's very easy to get a CCW there.

scootergmc
04-05-2007, 8:14 AM
From what I hear, it used to be.

edit: Sam may have some useful info regarding this topic. Not that he lives anywhere in or near Butte County. :D

luvtolean
04-05-2007, 8:30 AM
Just get the Nighthawk, you can get the others here anytime.

megavolt121
04-05-2007, 8:37 AM
Anyways...I am planning on buying 3-4 pistols before I come back, as it'll be cheaper and easier for me to buy them here. I will be getting my CCW in California, and these pistols will be for carry.

The guns I want are a USP 40 compact, Glock 19, Glock 26, and a Nighthawk Talon II. The Talon II is the problem.

You can buy the USP, G19 and G26 very easily in the state. Buy the Talon before you move here. In fact, don't purchase any guns you see on the list because they will be readily available in CA. Try to get your hands on the new HK45 if they are out by than. Another one would be to purchase bare 1911 frames to build up once you are in state. You can always buy two or three of those and sell them to fun another project. They will go for a premium in CA.

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 8:38 AM
You can buy the USP, G19 and G26 very easily in the state. Buy the Talon before you move here. In fact, don't purchase any guns you see on the list because they will be readily available in CA. Try to get your hands on the new HK45 if they are out by than. Another one would be to purchase bare 1911 frames to build up once you are in state. You can always buy two or three of those and sell them to fun another project. They will go for a premium in CA.

I thought selling them in Cali was exactly legal? Anything I should pick up that's not on the list before I move here?

luvtolean
04-05-2007, 8:42 AM
It is (probably) illegal to buy guns with the intent to sell when you move to Cali. This has got nasty in the past, and I recommend you do not talk about it anymore.

Of course, this intent is really only proven if you cruise around forums posting, or send out a bunch of e-mails mentioning that you are going to do it.

It is legal for you to bring in any handgun that does not meet the assault weapon definition, including those not on the safe handgun list. And yes, it is legal to transfer them to an in-state Californian after you've properly registered them with the DOJ after you move here.

hoffmang
04-05-2007, 8:56 AM
luv,

CA DOJ may not like it, but as long as firearms are bought legally in a state of residence, the person in question honestly moves his state of residence per ATF, and he sells them legally PPT at a CA FFL, he is complying with the law as written.

Moderation may be advisable, but I tend to doubt folks have enough spare cash to not be moderate in performing the above.

-Gene

luvtolean
04-05-2007, 8:59 AM
Agreed.

I think I'm basically saying the same thing as you.

Remember this thread?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49234&highlight=mk23

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 9:23 AM
Gotchya...

So I have to leave my AR 416 mags in Nevada somewhere!? :\

brighamr
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Jason R,

As a former Utah resident, I completely feel for your situation. Here's my advice: If you have friends or relatives in Utah, leave your ARs, AK, Hi-Cap mags (anything over 10 bullets), and suppressors in Utah (I say leave ARs and AKs because if you bring them here, you'll have to change them to CA specs. It'd be better to have real AR\AKs in Utah and build a couple Cali ones when you get here than to neuter your existing rifles IMO). Bring any pistol you want as long as it doesn't have 'evil' features. Buy as many hi-caps as you can and leave them in Utah (as soon as hillary takes office, there's a good chance the hi-caps will be out-lawed IMO).

Anyway, you will continuously run into new crappy laws in california (smog anyone?) but as long as you do your research you should be fine. As for your CCW, check out packing.org and bring your Utah ccw with you. There's a good chance you can get a ccw, but do your research first. (for example, I live in Stanislaus county which has a good rep for ccw, 10 miles away is Sacramento county which wont give ccw at all... I'm very glad I decided to live 10 miles away, get my point?) good luck, ask as many questions as you want here, most people will respond quickly and with good information.

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I have a 14.5" middy AR w/ a permanent phantom...can't I ad the mag lock kit and a 10 round mag to make it legal?

JPN6336
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I have a 14.5" middy AR w/ a permanent phantom...can't I ad the mag lock kit and a 10 round mag to make it legal?

Depends on whether or not the receiver is on the list.

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
It's not, it's a Double Star lower.

Anyways...I know I should buy the Nighthawk first. Now I'm having a problem justifying the $2500 price tag...

hoffmang
04-05-2007, 1:05 PM
Pin that mag on your doublestar with a 10 round or less magazine and come to Cali.

-Gene

1911_Mitch
04-05-2007, 5:38 PM
-----

Jason_R
04-05-2007, 7:41 PM
Are AR Pistols allowed in Cali!?

626Tony
04-05-2007, 9:27 PM
I Wish!!

Mr. Ed
04-05-2007, 11:58 PM
AR pistols are allowed if they are off-list and dont have evil features. The law states that as long as its not a detachable magazine (the use of a tool means its not detachable) and doesnt hold more than 10 rounds, ur good.

My suggestion is to stay in UT...BYU is great...go Cougars.

g2jap
04-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I thought AR pistols were a no-no in this state.

JPN6336
04-06-2007, 7:51 AM
The main reason we haven't been able to get them has been the "safe" list.
PC 12276.1 has this to say about it:
4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer. (B) A second handgrip. (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel. (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip. (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

So, if the magazine is fixed, it should be like any other pistol not on the safe list.
I believe the receiver still has to be off list.

Definately not legal advice but that's how I read it.

Jason_R
04-06-2007, 9:15 AM
Can the barrel have a permanently attached flash hider on an AR pistol?