PDA

View Full Version : Battle Comp Knock off from Spikes

Sugacookie
02-15-2012, 5:51 PM
Was cruising the internet and noticed spikes was making what looks to be a battle comp knock off.
You be the judge - $90.00

Link (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTSBV1021)

L4D
02-15-2012, 5:57 PM
If you think the spikes is a knock off the Griffin comp came before the dynacomp.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GA-M4-SDCompensator-6.jpg

but seriously, how much more different can you get when the concept carries along with each one. pretty soon someone will make star shaped holes on a muzzle brake...

762shooter
02-15-2012, 6:00 PM
As wikioutdoor put it, battlecomp = KAC knockoff. I see spikes dynacomp = IS-7 tank brake knockoff.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/IS-7.JPG/800px-IS-7.JPG

BTW, I have one, the dynacomp that is :p on my lr308, works great.

Sugacookie
02-15-2012, 7:50 PM
Huh. Very interesting! Thanks for the information and history lesson.

UserM4
02-15-2012, 8:10 PM
I like my Spikes Dynacomp. It's almost identical to Battlecomp in performance. Which is also almost identical in performance to a cheap YHM. It's all about perceived justification.

CHS
02-15-2012, 8:28 PM
ALL of them are a knockoff of the KAC triple-tap. So calling it a Battlecomp knockoff is funny.

However, I fully support these "knockoffs" given the astronomically insane price of the Triple-Tap.

2shotjoe
02-15-2012, 8:33 PM
More likely just their logo on it like most of what they sell.

Elwood_Blues
02-15-2012, 8:38 PM
ALL of them are a knockoff of the KAC triple-tap. So calling it a Battlecomp knockoff is funny.

However, I fully support these "knockoffs" given the astronomically insane price of the Triple-Tap.

So since you put it that way, I had to do a quick search and my jaw hit my nut sack! WTF is that thing made of?! You can almost build a rifle for that price.

mlevans66
02-15-2012, 8:41 PM
I got the dynacomp on my rifle and I have a BC on another.....can't really tell the difference tween the two.

ott1
02-15-2012, 8:46 PM
WTF is that thing made of?!

Inconel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel

mlevans66
02-15-2012, 8:50 PM
So since you put it that way, I had to do a quick search and my jaw hit my nut sack! WTF is that thing made of?! You can almost build a rifle for that price.

The souls of the fallen and the dreams of the winners that can purchase them. ;) No, really I joke! :D

RuggedJay
02-15-2012, 9:00 PM
My vote for best budget brake that comes in at 50$ but is effective and looks clean too is the Nordic Components brake. look it up. Just as effective as a fsc556 at 1/2 the price. Nobody uses it though so its cheap.

Sugacookie
02-15-2012, 9:14 PM
Dang, well my hat is off to the Marketing group for BattleComp. I Didn't realize similar designs already existed!
Word of Mouth Marketing truly is amazing, I bought a battlecomp after test firing a random person AR at a range and from numerous recommendation from people who own them. I must say it truly does improve recoil control. (Or maybe im just telling myself that)

CHS
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I must say it truly does improve recoil control. (Or maybe im just telling myself that)

Compared to the A2 flash hider that comes with every upper as standard, ANYTHING improve's recoil control because the A2 is NOT a muzzle brake.

Designs like the Battlecomp and the original Triple-Tap weren't designed to reduce recoil, but to reduce blast concussion for short barreled rifles. Due to their design, they ALSO reduced recoil a bit, but that wasn't the primary goal in their design.

There are much better brakes out there than the Triple-Tap and Battlecomp, and clones, but there's not much out there that reduces that blast concussion anywhere near like what these designs do.

1 SIG fan
02-16-2012, 5:48 AM
This.

And it does it well. My buddy has a PWS and I hate beig next to him. Way too much concussion when your next to it. Fine of your the shooter.
I'd MUCH rather shoot next to almost anything BUT the PWS comp

cwin
02-16-2012, 9:10 AM
I was interested in buying a Triple Tap for my AR...looked it up online...saw the price...and literally almost fell out of my chair. Ridiculously Expensive. Also, I agree the the Spikes and BattleComp look alike but how many variations can you really create?

L4D
02-16-2012, 9:21 AM
Was inconel even necessary?

SoCalSig1911
02-16-2012, 9:28 AM

It adds weight to the front to reduce muzzle rise, Inconel is a very heavy metal like Tungsten. The cost is not in the material but in the way it is made. The only way you can get those thin cuts is with an EDM machine, which will set you back many many triple taps. I don't think it's worth it but it does have a cool factor to it.

bender152
02-16-2012, 9:38 AM
I have dynacomps on two of my rifles and have been more than happy with them.

CHS
02-16-2012, 9:58 AM

Inconel is one of the only materials that can hold up to the blast and heat when using such tiny slits in the material, and it's those tiny slits that make the Triple-Tap so effective.

Drilling holes instead of making tiny slits is a way of building a similar muzzle device out of much less costly material, it just won't perform as well.

Granted, given the performance difference vs. cost when comparing the Triple-Tap to Battlecomp and other similar devices, the Battlecomp (and clones) clearly win. But at the end of the day, when money doesn't matter, the Triple-Tap WILL outperform all the rest.

clutchy
02-16-2012, 3:32 PM
effin-a comp?

razorscs
02-16-2012, 4:02 PM
off topic, but saw this when I clicked one of the links above. This is pretty crazy to me SAW with PWS comp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKiKZiIj_do&feature=player_embedded). That just about sells me on it.

Chaos47
02-16-2012, 4:06 PM
effin-a comp?

While yes its also a comp that has small holes in it the EFFIN-A is designed substantially different imo

wikioutdoor
02-16-2012, 4:28 PM
off topic, but saw this when I clicked one of the links above. This is pretty crazy to me SAW with PWS comp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKiKZiIj_do&feature=player_embedded). That just about sells me on it.

on full auto the ak brake performs the same as does the 308 versions - pws are definitely my favs.

it has not been my experience that the triple tap as a muzzle device is as overall effective as the pws models.

Also the idea of a muzzle device is quite old and everything on a ar obviously comes from the original design. So it's not fair to say anyone is copying at this point just developing parts based on universal ideas.

I like the battle comp units but I feel that peoples eagerness to over hype them has resulted in an otherwise unsupported rise in price over the years. To the point where now they are just asking for imitators.

CHS
02-16-2012, 4:45 PM
it has not been my experience that the triple tap as a muzzle device is as overall effective as the pws models.

"overall effectiveness" totally depends on the criteria you are measuring.

The Triple-Tap will outperform a PWS any day of the week at reducing blast concussion.

The PWS will outperform a Triple-Tap any day of the week at recoil reduction.

And there are brakes that will even outperform the PWS if recoil reduction is your primary measurement.

I like the battle comp units but I feel that peoples eagerness to over hype them has resulted in an otherwise unsupported rise in price over the years. To the point where now they are just asking for imitators.

The Battle Comp itself is already an imitator. They are in a class of muzzle devices that are designed for a specific goal: Reducing muzzle rise while also reducing muzzle blast so as to be appropriate for short barreled rifles.

wikioutdoor
02-16-2012, 4:49 PM
the key phrase I used is overall effectiveness though - PWS multitasks quite well.

CHS
02-16-2012, 5:13 PM
the key phrase I used is overall effectiveness though - PWS multitasks quite well.

Since there are multiple kinds of muzzle devices for multiple end goals, the term "overall effectiveness" is useless.

problemchild
02-16-2012, 5:52 PM

Funny I think the BC is insane high price.

I would pay 50 but from what I have heard it really doesnt do much of anything. Not good for flame control. Not good for recoil control. Loud.

So why do I need to spend 160 + tax + shipping?

HK Dave
02-16-2012, 7:37 PM
$160 is out of control... of course I bought one.

Truth is, they have no reason to lower their price since Spike's and Griffin also came out at the $90-120 range.

Too bad someone doesn't just come out with a $30 version.

The TripleTap price is insanity...

04_e46
02-16-2012, 7:40 PM
not trying to thread jack but is there any comp out there you cal gunners prefer for an ar-10? besides surefire and battle comp?

NYY
02-16-2012, 8:00 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/IS-7.JPG/800px-IS-7.JPG

lolol.....

CHS
02-16-2012, 8:03 PM
Too bad someone doesn't just come out with a $30 version.

Given the time it takes to manufacture a battlecomp (or similar device), even on modern CNC equipment, I doubt anyone could make one for $30 and still pull a profit.

phish
02-16-2012, 8:20 PM
they're made from 17-4PH which isn't very easy to machine to begin with, so the tooling costs get passed onto the consumer

phish
02-16-2012, 8:21 PM
Given the time it takes to manufacture a battlecomp (or similar device), even on modern CNC equipment, I doubt anyone could make one for $30 and still pull a profit.

China :p

CHS
02-16-2012, 8:54 PM
China :p

Yeah, but then it will explode when you use it :)

james758
02-16-2012, 9:23 PM
I put a PWS on my sig 556 and lowered the recoil like you would not believe but EVERY time I went to the range, I heard the same thing "wow, that looks cool, but it's louds as *****." I replaced it with the noveske and I haven't noticed that much of a recoil difference but it's much quieter for everyone now.
Anyone in the market for a used PWS in 5.56?

WilliamAnderson
02-16-2012, 9:27 PM
My Spikes upper came with the dynacomp on it already because it's a 14.5 inch barrel, welded of course. :-) Love it and it does its job well.

problemchild
02-17-2012, 2:47 AM
I put a PWS on my sig 556 and lowered the recoil like you would not believe but EVERY time I went to the range, I heard the same thing "wow, that looks cool, but it's louds as *****." I replaced it with the noveske and I haven't noticed that much of a recoil difference but it's much quieter for everyone now.
Anyone in the market for a used PWS in 5.56?

OMG!

People at the range complaining that a gun is loud. Really? Stand next to my 308 with a brake. Anyway who cares tell them to put their earplugs and or headphones back in/on.

Geesssssshhhhh

bender152
02-17-2012, 8:49 AM
Brakes are annoying to most people. It's not the loudness, it's the concussion.

That doesn't stop me from using one, but I try to be aware of it. If there are several stations open, I'll take the furthest one.

If the stations are packed, tough sh*t. I'm still shooting.

SoCalSig1911
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Brakes are annoying to most people. It's not the loudness, it's the concussion.

That doesn't stop me from using one, but I try to be aware of it. If there are several stations open, I'll take the furthest one.

If the stations are packed, tough sh*t. I'm still shooting.

+1000

Ruiner
02-17-2012, 10:42 AM

It was meant to be used with the KAC NT4 suppressor and acts as the 1st baffle when the suppressor is used. Inconel was necessary for longevity for that purpose.

SIGSHOOTR
02-18-2012, 1:54 PM

I would pay 50 but from what I have heard it really doesnt do much of anything. Not good for flame control. Not good for recoil control. Loud.

"...from what I have heard." If that is referring to a $50 comp, then I'm not surprised. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" has -- in my experience-- held true for virtually every piece of gear I've used. If you're equating that comment to a BC, then I suggest you actually try one before making a blanket statement based on "what you've heard". For a comp, the BC does more than an adequate job of controlling muzzle flash (but that's not its primary function); does an exceptional job at recoil control/muzzle flip; and is relatively quiet compared to other comps out there (I've used the BC in a CQB shoot house along with 3 other shooters alongside me doing room clearing drills and it's not much worse than a standard A2). Yep-- $100 plus is a lot for a muzzle device-- but IMO, it's worth it.

RONIN.
02-18-2012, 2:02 PM

funny, you say that, as I have the complete opposite experiance.. the BATTLECOMP is not supposed to be a jp or surefire style brake.. it is a BATTLE COMPENSATOR.. has similar flash to an a2 but has almost as much muzzle flip control as the surefire i took off my training weapon.. and recoil less then an a2.. yes if you want recoil control get a jp or surefire.. but you will lose friends.. they are loud.. did some team cqb training for work, and all my teammates where less then happy bout my surefire.

the battlecomp is not supposed to be the end all muzzle brake, it is what it's name is.. a battle comp.. help control muzzle flip and keeps flash to a2 standards..

as for the griffin or dynacomp or triple tap.. the triple tap is nice, yes.. but 400 bucks for a muzzle device, that is almost a third the price of a suppressor if we weren't in nazifornia.. the dynacomp, well is spikes, I have has some BAD issues with them.. so i buy nothing from them and use nothing of theirs, not to mention they logo everything with there "spider/explicit content logo" which bothers me.. i will not go into the issues i had with them, as it is a long drawn out ordeal, but i will not OWN any spikes products.. ever again..

griffin, works well just like the battlecomp, does for a slightly less nut busting price.. as i have a few teammates with them installed on there weapons..

ronin.