PDA

View Full Version : Need some info and help on rust issues

FullAuto
01-16-2012, 3:10 PM
Hello everyone, I ask the old timers and anyone with better general gun knowledge than i posses to give me some info/tips on dealing with rust on a couple of firearms i own.
1. Mosin Nagant bolt is starting to rust on the bolt handle, just noticed this today and brushed with the bold with solvent and re-oiled and that seemed to help but don't know what is causing it
2. Savage 93r17 great little rifle but being only a year and a half old the bottom of the gun near the trigger guard is rusting...i'll clean the gun well and oil it but it is rusting for whatever reason.

Q. What exactly is causing this, and what to do to eliminate this problem or prevent it getting worse? thx.

Deadbolt
01-16-2012, 3:27 PM
I can recommend Naval Jelly

Works for subs n boats.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81756-Naval-Jelly-Dissolver/dp/B0007TQW5G

^ + wire brush for serious rust is great. Its not a solvent but instead its a chemical process that eats the rust / turns it to a benign substance instead.

russ69
01-16-2012, 5:33 PM
...Q. What exactly is causing this,...

Are you using a swamp cooler?

FullAuto
01-16-2012, 5:49 PM
Are you using a swamp cooler?

yes i have one and use it when it's hot but havent used it much lately and usually it's so dry inside my place the wife and I are always shocking each other.

JagerDog
01-16-2012, 5:51 PM
Both areas that see a lot of handling. Some people's skin pH is harder on finishes than others. Always try to wipe off fingerprints and handle only the wood before storing. The silicone cloths are quite handy.

I don't know what your storage is like. If contained, some desiccant or de-humidifier sounds in order. As suggested, a swam cooler humidifies vs. A/C dries.

For removing light surface rust, WD-40 and some #0000 steel wool is your friend. Once pitting starts, it can be hard to stay ahead of.

russ69
01-17-2012, 12:30 PM
yes i have one (swamp cooler)

Bingo! Just a lucky guess but that would be the way to get moisture in the I.E.

30Cal
01-17-2012, 3:13 PM
Wipe all metal parts off with an oily rag; leave no fingerprints. Humidity won't matter at that point.