PDA

View Full Version : Magazines... No, not that kind.

huck
01-13-2012, 6:46 PM
...the kind you read - or at least look at the glossy pictures.

I somehow managed to get myself onto a "handgun enthusiast" mailing list - or so I assume, since I have received five subscription requests in the last two days. Here's the breakdown:

Shooting Times - $8 / 12 issues (1 year)
Guns & Ammo - $15 / 24 issues (2 years)
Handguns - $13 / 12 issues (2 years)
Guns (magazine) - $10 / 12 issues (1 year)
GunDigest - $25 / 32 issues (1 year?)

Also got one several days ago from American Hangunner - $20 / 6 issues (1 year)

Are any of these worth reading?

I should also mention that I own handguns, but I'm no collector. I like to shoot them - not look at them. Cheap ammo, by the thousands.

G60
01-13-2012, 6:56 PM
Magazines are shills for the manufacturers. You can get all the pretty pictures for free online too.

I did buy the new hodgdon reloading magazine today though.

bigcalidave
01-13-2012, 7:16 PM
What are magazines?

Cokebottle
01-13-2012, 7:20 PM
Magazines are shills for the manufacturers. You can get all the pretty pictures for free online too.
This.

I subscribed to Dirtbiker for a couple of years.
Not worth it. Honda always wins with them.

Last mag I subscribed to was Roadbike.
Let it go after 2 years. Their mechanic spread more BS than the guys at Vatozone.

Every now and then I'll buy a copy of Combat Handguns off the newsstand.

Blademan21
01-13-2012, 7:21 PM
I too have had these same offers sent to me. I only subscribe to American Handgunner (2 yrs for $20) and Guns & Ammo (2 yrs for$20). Gotta have something to read when on the throne.

Uriah02
01-13-2012, 7:26 PM
I like Guns & Ammo and Gun Digest from time to time but prefer my National Rifleman over both of them. I wouldn't pay for a monthly magazine, too many tend to promo too expensive of gear on a regular basis. I buy ones with individual articles of interest to me.

PRCABR4Christ
01-13-2012, 7:33 PM
I subscribe to American Handgunner as it seems their articles are geared more towards what I'm interested in...that and 2 guns one of my buddys built were featured in it this month :D

Cnynrat
01-13-2012, 7:36 PM
Gun Tests is a small magazine that does not fit the mold of being a shill for their advertisers : they have none. They are a small (25-30 pages) monthly that runs comparative tests on 2-3 categories of guns each month.

For example, the Jan 2012 issue has tests on ARE style rifles (Ruger SR556E vs According BEAR Elite), a Single action revolver test, and a test on 17 after market handgun grips.

Good stuff when they write about what you are interested in buying, but sometimes not so interesting.

The are printed on non-glossy paper with some color.

huck
01-13-2012, 7:43 PM
What are magazines?

Clips. Assault clips.

wtkaiser
01-13-2012, 7:47 PM
I am into the Wolfe magazines (Rifle and Handloader) at the moment, but they do have a LOT of advertising. They make more sense and write about things I am interested more than G&A or most of the rest. I suspect advertising is the only way they can stay in business, really. A necessary evil.

bsg
01-13-2012, 11:33 PM
i used to read Combat Handguns. i always enjoyed Massad Ayoob's articles that were included.

pkc168
01-14-2012, 9:42 AM
I got these offers too, maybe they got the names from NRA or Turners? I'd save my money and buy some ammos instead.

huck
01-14-2012, 3:31 PM
I've never been to Turners. Must be NRA.

elSquid
01-14-2012, 5:04 PM
AH and Guns you can read for free. They offer PDF downloads of each issue:

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/digital-editions/

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/digital-editions/

When you view each issue, there is an option to DL it.

-- Michael

RealBarber
01-14-2012, 6:38 PM
we're subscribed to Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns and American Rifleman (NRA membership) at my barbershop