PDA

View Full Version : Glock sights

Paper Boy
01-11-2012, 3:05 PM
I want to switch out my Glock 20 rear sights from stock to some Novaks. I like them better, I really am not a fan of the stock sights.

Anyone do it? How hard is it to swap sights with without the sight mounting tool?

hondamanr
01-11-2012, 3:37 PM
i installed trijicon novak night sights on my g17. it's pretty much impossible to install the new sight without a sight pusher tool. also, they never fit as is, so you will have to file the dovetail on the sight a little bit before you try to push it in. have a glock armorer do the work if you are not comfortable with what i just described.

Oceanbob
01-11-2012, 4:56 PM
I want to switch out my Glock 20 rear sights from stock to some Novaks. I like them better, I really am not a fan of the stock sights.

Anyone do it? How hard is it to swap sights with without the sight mounting tool?

It depends on the sight. Some are tight some not so much. I have a sight pusher and live in Orange County. You're welcome to use it anytime.

If you get fixed sights that do not have tridium vials, you can probably use a plastic punch and tap them sideways yourself. :)

I'am getting ready to install (as soon as more slide parts arrive for my Glock) some TFOs, 10-8 with brass bead (just bought those on a whim from Brownells, arrived today) and some Trijicons. 3 sets on 3 different GLOCKS.

So far my favorite are the Truglo tritium fiber optic sights on my 10MM glocks. My eyes aren't perfect anymore and I need all the help I can get..LOL

stevie
01-11-2012, 5:09 PM
I have a sight pusher if you are local

stormvet
01-11-2012, 5:26 PM
I have changed the sights on four different Glocks. All I use is a punch, brass hammer and a vice. If you do not have a brass punch or nylon tipped punch you can just wrap dock tape around the steel punch to keep from maring the sights. The only sights I had to file some metal off because they were way too tight are Dawson's on a Glock 35. here is a pic of four different Glocks with four different sets of sights all installed with a punch and hammer.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN2032.jpg

fullspeed1
01-11-2012, 6:50 PM
I've installed both XS big dots and Warren Tacticals on my 17 and 2 19's. I used nylon and steel punches, Easy as pie.

gotshotgun?
01-11-2012, 6:58 PM
So far my favorite are the Truglo tritium fiber optic sights on my 10MM glocks.

I just installed these on my G20 and I love them.

DVSmith
01-11-2012, 7:06 PM
The good news is that you are not likely to damage the sights or the slide if you are careful. If you chicken out part way through, you can always get someone with a sight tool to help or take it to a local gunsmith. Not much can really go wrong... assuming you don't get carried away.

EWILKE
01-11-2012, 7:16 PM
you can drift them in with a brass or nylon punch. If the brass punch leaves some marks on the sight just use some hoppes to get it off.

Paper Boy
01-12-2012, 6:39 AM
Cool thanks for the info guys.

Stevie thanks, I may take you up on the use of your pusher tool if drifting the sights fails, or I chicken out.... Still have not ordered the sights they are down a bit on my "to do list" of projects.

Voo
01-12-2012, 6:58 AM
I have the sight pusher as well.. Whenever I installed glock sights, I would file/sand down the sight dovetail so it would push onto the slide 3/4 of the way.. I'd then drop in some red loctite and use the pusher for the rest of the installation..

For night sights, I'd be leary of 'hammering' that thing in...but i know it's possible if you're patient and carefully line up the punch.. definitely helps to have a vise..

Lead Waster
01-12-2012, 8:53 AM
The hard part is getting the sights pointed in the right direction!