PDA

View Full Version : Whats all the bashing about the S&W sigma???!!!

chrisf
01-10-2012, 7:03 PM
Well guys after a couple trips to the range, I want to know what all the bashing about the sigma is? The trigger wasn't bad before, But I did do the trigger job myself and just take out the external spring and polished the internals up a bit. Now the dang thing runs like a dream. I shot very accurately with it, And for $300 it is by far my favorite handgun I've shot (besides 1911) If this gun went for the same price range as a glock would it be considered a better weapon or what? Ill say it and I know I'm going to get bashed but, If this was going for the same price as a glock I WOULD STILL BUY THE SIGMA. I really recommend this gun to those that haven't tried it, And are just listening to whiney babys talking about how its a glock copy. Guys seriously they it out before you bash it. And if you can't handle that trigger get away from guns now! Its no worst than a DA revolver, It is a little long but it just takes some getting use to. Practice and you will be proficient.

CA Gun Laws Suck
01-10-2012, 7:08 PM
I think the main complaint is the trigger. I have fired them and even with with a trigger job it might be smoother but that pull is still just way too long for my liking. If you like it, thats all the matters. $300 bucks used glock in any generation for me.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 7:12 PM
I think the main complaint is the trigger. I have fired them and even with with a trigger job it might be smoother but that pull is still just way too long for my liking. If you like it, thats all the matters. $300 bucks used glock in any generation for me.
$300 USED block made in austria. Or $300 for supporting our economy :)?

rimfire78
01-10-2012, 7:13 PM
Well guys after a couple trips to the range, I want to know what all the bashing about the sigma is? The trigger wasn't bad before, But I did do the trigger job myself and just take out the external spring and polished the internals up a bit. Now the dang thing runs like a dream. I shot very accurately with it, And for $300 it is by far my favorite handgun I've shot (besides 1911) If this gun went for the same price range as a glock would it be considered a better weapon or what? Ill say it and I know I'm going to get bashed but, If this was going for the same price as a glock I WOULD STILL BUY THE SIGMA. I really recommend this gun to those that haven't tried it, And are just listening to whiney babys talking about how its a glock copy. Guys seriously they it out before you bash it. And if you can't handle that trigger get away from guns now! Its no worst than a DA revolver, It is a little long but it just takes some getting use to. Practice and you will be proficient.

Then you haven't shot a Glock.
It's not my favorite gun but the quality and craftsmanship are much better. Next time you rack the Sigma, take your ear muffs off and listen. Hear the clunky sound the metal makes as the slide rubs the frame? Glocks don't do that.
I have both and neither are as nicely made a a Beretta 92fs in my opinion.
For $300 it's a fine gun. But you guys get all butt hurt when people point out that a $300 gun doesn't perform like a $600-$800 one does.
It's just the truth.
EDIT
Plus, the long trigger pull DOES affect accuracy. Sure.... If you can shoot a Sigma accurately, then you should be able to shoot anything.
But why not give yourself a fighting chance?

In no particular order:

Beretta M9 A1
Clock19
Sigma 9VE
Sigma 40VE
SA 1911 A1
Ruger Alaskan .480
Para warthog
Desert Eagle.44 magnum
S&W 629 Classic
Puma .22lr revolver
Hp22lr

chrisf
01-10-2012, 7:17 PM
It's not my favorite gun but the quality and craftsmanship are much better. Next time you rack the Sigma, take your ear muffs off and listen. Hear the clunky sound the metal makes as the slide rubs the frame? Glocks don't do that.
For $300 it's a fine gun. But you guys get all butt hurt when people point out that a $300 gun doesn't perform like a $600-$800 one does.
It's just the truth.
Ive shot many many many glocks. Ive shot more rounds out of a handgun through a glock than any other platform. I don't care for them much. Dude racking a gun making a sound?? Who gives a rats as*? And btw I don't hear that at all. This thread wasn't aimed towards those not really liking the sigma, But I've heard people say "its not a real gun" etc. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

CA Gun Laws Suck
01-10-2012, 7:19 PM

HAHA. I am all for supporting US firearm companies! I just bought a S&W 686+ along with the other pistols and rifles I own. There has to be a reason Glock has 65% of the US Law enforcement market!

GMG
01-10-2012, 7:20 PM
I plan on doing a trigger job on my Sigma 40, pig tail spring pitch it polishing no problem.

Second thoughts on the outer spring, might replace the striker spring first.

How many rounds have you put thru it since your trigger job?

rimfire78
01-10-2012, 7:31 PM
Ive shot many many many glocks. Ive shot more rounds out of a handgun through a glock than any other platform. I don't care for them much. Dude racking a gun making a sound?? Who gives a rats as*? And btw I don't hear that at all. This thread wasn't aimed towards those not really liking the sigma, But I've heard people say "its not a real gun" etc. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

I've put about 2500 rounds through my .40VE and probably only had it hang up on me twice. It's one of the most dependable guns I've ever owned, - It's not the best shooter though. I couldn't put enough grease on it to make it rack as smoothly as my 92fs or my Glock (or shoot as accurately). It's just a different animal.
I'm glad you like it though.

TKM
01-10-2012, 7:36 PM
Are you old enough to buy a Sigma?

Ksmash01
01-10-2012, 7:36 PM
I had a SW9VE and I liked it a lot. I'm considering getting another one down the road, but overall, the Sigma gets my stamp of approval( like that really means anything :ninja: ).

I wouldn't bash it, but it wasn't my favorite, hence selling it to fund my M&P collection. I'll probably get the Glock line of 9mm pistols (17,19,26,34) before I get another Sigma though, unless I get a screaming deal along the way.

Sigmas are good trunk pistols( sure you can carry them too), but there are better choices these days, for not much more, that are also American. SR9 Anyone? How about SSE'ing an SD9?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would agree that a Sigma would be a better value and not a bad pistol to own. However, there are better choices.

I'm glad you like yours.

Oceanbob
01-10-2012, 7:42 PM
I've shot a sigma and I'am personally not impressed. It's a good weapon for people on a budget I guess. :)

Sigma is on the bottom of my list of guns to own right next to a high-point.

There is a reason they are so inexpensive.

Guns are serious business; when I buy a gun I want a certain level of performance and build quality. Guns like SIG, GLOCK, HK, SPRINGFIELD ARMORY, are mainsteam, quality weapons. (for the most part).

If I had to pick one handgun and one handgun only for getting home from East LA after a 9.6 quake in the dark; that handgun would be a GLOCK product.

Longbow
01-10-2012, 8:59 PM
Sigmas are solid, dependable pistols. In addition, the low price point makes them excellent buys for shooters on a budget. Pencils down. I have an...extensive firearms inventory, including a pair of Sigmas. As they have demonstrated 100% functionality so far, I have to say, they are as reliable as anything I own.

Cheers,
Longbow

Vampyredark
01-10-2012, 9:00 PM
It's just the truth.
EDIT
Plus, the long trigger pull DOES affect accuracy. Sure.... If you can shoot a Sigma accurately, then you should be able to shoot anything.

In no particular order:

Beretta M9 A1
Clock19
Sigma 9VE
Sigma 40VE
SA 1911 A1
Ruger Alaskan .480
Para warthog
Desert Eagle.44 magnum
S&W 629 Classic
Puma .22lr revolver
Hp22lr

Ive shot a Glock in 45 Caliber (its my father in laws) and I do not see the hype. Im not trying to bash it, or maybe I am, I dont really care. But I dont see what the big deal is.

I have also shot a sigma in 40 caliber and I thought it was awesome; much better than the Glock.

What everyone forgets is that it is just opinions. Most people here are not really credible experts and are overly bias. It is called the mine is better than yours type of psychological thinking (psychology 101 right there).

If you like the glock, cool! If you prefer the sigma, thats cool too! I prefer the sigma though. And I agree with the OP, for I do not understand why people have to be so bias and judging over these things.

Your last sentence bothers me because you contradict yourself. You state that a long trigger pull affects accuracy, and then you state one can shoot it accurately and therefore can shoot anything. That makes no sense. So, it does not affect accuracy is what you ultimately saying because it depends on the person shooting it and how much they have practiced.

Everyone just needs to agree that its all opinion and if you like then gun and works for you then good! But I still agree with the OP, why bash them so harshly? On the opposite side, why do people get so offended?

dc2integra
01-10-2012, 9:03 PM
The stinkma I had a few years ago was a total lemon.It would jam on me alot when it was new I guess you can call it a break in period.I sold it and never looked back.

CSACANNONEER
01-10-2012, 9:10 PM
It's just the truth.
EDIT

In no particular order:

Beretta M9 A1
Clock19
Sigma 9VE
Sigma 40VE
SA 1911 A1
Ruger Alaskan .480
Para warthog
Desert Eagle.44 magnum
S&W 629 Classic
Puma .22lr revolver
Hp22lr

BS! I own a Glock but I don't have a problem with the Sigma I've owned since '99. I really don't care for DA only handguns but, I don't find the quality of my Sigma to be inferior to Glock. I actually sold a like new 92FS and kept my Sigma. I bought the Glock later only because, I paid $365 for it. In the end, I can shoot my Sigma as well as I could shoot the 92 or my Glock although none of them compare to a good 1911.

Steve1968LS2
01-10-2012, 9:20 PM
Did someone imply you can easily buy $300 used Glocks (other than 45gap)?

Even so.. my Sigma as $220 used (like new) and while the trigger is so bad it makes the baby Jesus cry it's a solid gun that goes bang whenever I pull (with effort) the 12 pound trigger. ;)

I think they are a good bargain on the used market and the heavy trigger is mostly likely good for novice shooters choosing it for HD.

And the trigger can be lightened up.

If my life depended on it I would most likely grab my Glock, Sig or best yet my BHP over the Sigma, but that doesn't make it a "bad" gun.

Vampyredark
The stinkma I had a few years ago was a total lemon.It would jam on me alot when it was new I guess you can call it a break in period.I sold it and never looked back.

The GMC truck I bought 7 years ago was a lemon. It does not mean that all of them are.

I did not actually buy one, just making a point.

rimfire78
It's a fine reliable entry level gun.
Go on the S&W web site. It has their cheapest msrp. It doesn't mean it's a bad gun, It just means that S&W considers all their other models to be of higher quality.
Go yell at them if you're so hurt by that.

CSACANNONEER
01-10-2012, 9:32 PM
It's a fine reliable entry level gun.
Go on the S&W web site. It has their cheapest msrp. It doesn't mean it's a bad gun, It just means that S&W considers all their other models to be of higher quality.Go yell at them if you're so hurt by that.

Really? I would think that it would imply that it was cheaper to produce and has little to do with "quality". I wonder what S&W's factory reps would say about your analysis of their pricing policies? If you're going to SHOT next week, I'll meet you at the S&W booth so we can both hear their answer.

Distro
01-10-2012, 9:33 PM
I personally will never even think of a glock Sigma, Because I don't want to be associated with glock Sigma owners.

rimfire78
01-10-2012, 9:34 PM
And after extensive testing over months and years, neither the police nor the military chose to use the Sigma because?
It's not as good as a Glock or a Beretta M9.

Sturnovik
01-10-2012, 9:36 PM
Enough to reply lol....

Sturnovik
01-10-2012, 9:47 PM
All of them that I've held or shot had issues. The 3rd gen smiths are fine, and from the sound of it, the m&p pistols are taking off quickly.

They will always be the top revolver company around, that aside I'd love a 3rd gen or atleast try a m&p .40.

Is rather save the 150 dollar difference and just get a higher value pistol, maybe even another smith autoloader. It's entry level either way.

GW
01-10-2012, 9:51 PM
I think the stigma of the Sigma (:D) is that S&W got majorly sued by Glock over patent infringements in the Sigma and they lost, paying Glock to the tune of $3 million IIRC.
From that point on, Sigma was thought of as the cheap copy of the Glock. That, along with the dreadful triggers at least on early Sigmas hurt their rep.
That said, a pig-hunting guide I hunted with swore by his Sigma and while he isn't a cop or soldier, when he goes into the deep brush looking for wounded boar, that's what he chooses to carry.

TwoAsoapbox
01-10-2012, 9:59 PM
The only American made LTC gun I would personally consider is an M&P. All my long guns are made in the US, so I make up for it there.

Mossy Man
01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
If the sigma were as good as the m&p series they would all cost the same. Lower production cost DOES equal either cheaper parts or cheaper manufacturing process. Either way, you are looking at a lower quality item regardless. That doesn't mean its terrible or an invalid weapon, but it most certainly means that you are getting what you pay for. At $250 the sigma series is barely more than a hi point, and while its certainly better than that, Smith knows the sigma is their economy level weapon.

You could go tell them that the sigma is inferior to their m&p series and they woukd agree with you. Thats why they offer the m&p.

I think we have an issue here where people are trying to say that just because their Honda civic gets you from point a to b, its just as good as a BMW m5. Clearly it is not, but then again they were designed for different purposes and were never meant to be compared against one another.

The sigma does perfectly for an economy defensive pistol. It most certainly not as high of quality as a les baer custom, but then again it was never meant to be.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I didn't think it would be this big of a deal when I made this thread. We are all entitled to our own individual opinions thats what makes this country great. But in my opinion I don't see the extra $300 or so for a glock. Hell I'd rather have 2 sigmas than one glock. And hey if it makes you feel any better. The us army was handing them out to afghan soldiers and had us teach them :-) how to use it. BTW guys may I remind you that I am in the military, And I by no means carry a glock. Never have and never ever will.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I plan on doing a trigger job on my Sigma 40, pig tail spring pitch it polishing no problem.

Second thoughts on the outer spring, might replace the striker spring first.

How many rounds have you put thru it since your trigger job?
It was extremely easy bro, Hell I did it while I was drunk as a monkey and I did it correctly. I've fired 2000+ rounds through it since and it still hasn't misfired. Ive never had not one jam up 5,000 rounds down the pipe.

Mossy Man
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I didn't think it would be this big of a deal when I made this thread. We are all entitled to our own individual opinions thats what makes this country great. But in my opinion I don't see the extra $300 or so for a glock. Hell I'd rather have 2 sigmas than one glock. And hey if it makes you feel any better. The us army was handing them out to afghan soldiers and had us teach them :-) how to use it. BTW guys may I remind you that I am in the military, And I by no means carry a glock. Never have and never ever will.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but while you could buy two Honda civics for the price of one Audi s5, it does not automatically make the civic equal to the s5.

You may be happy with the civic and it will serve its purpose but the s5 is still be a higher quality vehicle. And as well it should be, it costs twice as much.

glock21fan
01-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Not bad. As far as construction. I find the grip feels too small..So does my g19. (big hands) the trigger feels weird to me. Otherwise not bad in my opinion

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I'd take two honda civics over an audi anyday of the week (as long as it was equal value) I think I may be a little bias because block people (I'm not even going to correct the spelling cuz it looks like a block) sometimes get on my nerves, And tend to have the "my sh** don't stink" attitude. Its all the same thing its a polymer framed overpriced tool. Now if we started comparing 1911's or les's then thats different. MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE DOWN THIS THREAD!!! Im sorry I ever started it. :( But thanks guys for all your input.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Not bad. As far as construction. I find the grip feels too small..So does my g19. (big hands) the trigger feels weird to me. Otherwise not bad in my opinion
You have to try it with the hougue grip. Im in love.........

stitchnicklas
01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
i'll stick with my g19 and sig 226 over a sigma anyday

CSACANNONEER
01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
You have to try it with the hougue grip. Im in love.........

Do you mean the little slip on thing? I've had one on mine for years. BTW, I have stubby hands and prefer single stack mags but, I can shoot a Sigma or Glock if I have to. They're all a little big for me though.

Mossy Man
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I'd take two honda civics over an audi anyday of the week (as long as it was equal value) I think I may be a little bias because block people (I'm not even going to correct the spelling cuz it looks like a block) sometimes get on my nerves, And tend to have the "my sh** don't stink" attitude. Its all the same thing its a polymer framed overpriced tool. Now if we started comparing 1911's or les's then thats different. MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE DOWN THIS THREAD!!! Im sorry I ever started it. :( But thanks guys for all your input.

If it makes you feel any better, I too own more common men's guns....mostly rugers. I'm going to say they're much like the fords of the gun world.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Do you mean the little slip on thing? I've had one on mine for years. BTW, I have stubby hands and prefer single stack mags but, I can shoot a Sigma or Glock if I have to. They're all a little big for me though.
Yep the slip on thingy. My wife has small hands and loves the feel.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:31 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I too own more common men's guns....mostly rugers. I'm going to say they're much like the fords of the gun world.
It does make me feel better :43: And hey don't talk about a ford. Fords are for real everyday simple men. Not men who own "glocks"" :) no offense of course.

chrisf
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Well I'm getting tired. Ill argue with you later lol.

Mossy Man
01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Yep the slip on thingy. My wife has small hands and loves the feel.

I have one on my sr40c

PandaLuv
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
striker fired guns aren't my thing at all, sigma would be the last one I would get. Even though it is by S&W, but the design and trigger just no up to Glock's standard. Yes, it's american, but I wouldn't choose a glock over my sig, why would I choose a sigma over a glock?

That's why they came with M&Ps/

orangeusa
01-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I rented one in Texas while visiting my dad, wish I'd have not gone shooting. The trigger was just rediculous. Maybe it was an earlier version, but it was really, really bad.

And I don't say that about many guns. Um, any guns except for the one I rented... Next time I visit, I'll bring some of my own... :)

CSACANNONEER
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM
It does make me feel better :43: And hey don't talk about a ford. Fords are for real everyday simple men who like to constantly work on their cars. Not men who own "glocks"" :) no offense of course.

Personally, I'll take a Dodge over a Ford anyday. I've owned 4 Dodge pick ups and only one Ford truck. One Mercury, one Ford ('84 Escort) and 5 Plymouth sedans. So, although I've tried both, I've stuck with the less expensive but more reliable MOPARs for the most part.

FiveSeven
01-11-2012, 1:14 AM
Shot Sigma few times .
IMHO it's a good pistol for sealed SHTF emergency box and be disposed after that just like everything else in it.
Sorry Sigma fans but it is what it is.

I believe that there's a small exception to the rule of "You get what you paid for" and Sigma does not fall in that exception.

jonzer77
01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I shot a friends .40cal sigma and the trigger was absolute garbage but that is my opinion. If you like the trigger and they are cheap then for you it's a win win.

johnny_22
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
One of the callers on Gun Talk talked about replacing his Sigma for something better. Tom said that this is easy to do.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/guntalk/120108guntalkA.mp3

21SF
01-11-2012, 10:32 AM
its the s&w that you can put on your EBT card. Made with melted legos...

01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
People bash on it because of what other people have said about it. It turns out a lot of people like it and like the long trigger pull. It was intentionally designed that way. I haven't shot it myself and I will not say anything good or bad about it until I do. Except that it is affordable which is always good :).

I do have pretty good expectations of the SW SD9 though. Of the reviews I've read it is an upgrade from the sigma in everyway for less than 100$ more. So if you happen to love your sigma/ve, the SD9 would be quite a satisfying change of pace!

Quickdraw Mcgraw
01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
I think its funny when people argue over opinions on websites...they are just like ***@#$s people everyone has one!

I personally have had guns blow up in my hand befor an after that started airing on the side of QUALITY & RELIABILITY. Not saying that bersa's an sigmas are not good enough for some people, just saying other people like to have a little security that there 3-5hundred dollar investment will still be there after 20-30years! Thats why I like AK47's an take REALLY good care of my AR15s!

Mossy Man
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I dry fired a new one a few weeks ago at Wild Sports - the DA pull was heavier than the first DA pull of my P89.

I'll reiterate:

It's a gun that's not meant for heavy range use or for target shooting. It's meant to use in dire defense of your life or anothers life and in that function it serves its purpose. It has a heavy trigger on purpose so that you are absolutely certain that you mean to pull that trigger when you do.

It is not made of high quality materials designed to withstand tens of thousands of rounds like a duty pistol (despite what their website says), and it is not designed to shoot 1" groups at 25 yards like a target pistol.

Those who would want it for those purposes aren't even in the target demographic for this product.

It's for those who aren't avid rangegoers, who won't compete in any matches, and will keep it in their nightstand for emergencies.

People need to accept whatit is, what S&W markets it as and created it for, and live with it.

It will never compare (and never should be) compared to the likes of a Glock, Sig, CZ, or even a Ruger SR. That's why S&W sells the M&P line.

RECCE556
01-11-2012, 2:15 PM
This reminds of the people who buy surplus Mosin–Nagant and claim they're the best and they don't understand why anyone would want to buy a Rem 700/AI/AR/etc...

So hey, if a Sigma is good enough for you, more power to you...

Vampyredark
01-11-2012, 2:46 PM
Blah blah blah, thats all this thread is :) makes me laugh though! the sigma is a good gun. Is it possible that people just dont want to admit that they are paying too much for guns, when cheaper guns are becoming more available that are quality as well?
Maybe! Unless you are a constant range goer. However, when I had a Hi Point, I was very accurate with that gun at 25 yards, it was NP. So I would assume one can be just as accurate with the Sigma.

chrisf
01-11-2012, 3:09 PM
Blah blah blah, thats all this thread is :) makes me laugh though! the sigma is a good gun. Is it possible that people just dont want to admit that they are paying too much for guns, when cheaper guns are becoming more available that are quality as well?
Maybe! Unless you are a constant range goer. However, when I had a Hi Point, I was very accurate with that gun at 25 yards, it was NP. So I would assume one can be just as accurate with the Sigma.
Best comment yet.

21SF
01-11-2012, 3:32 PM

Yea thats credible, a Hi point owner, lol.

comblock
01-11-2012, 4:03 PM
If Smith made a Sigma in .45 ACP and mags were reasonably priced, I would buy one.

dc2integra
01-11-2012, 4:14 PM
I will say this it has nice ergonomics that is the only thing I liked about it.

Steve1968LS2
01-11-2012, 5:43 PM
Mine works.. serves as a truck gun so I only see it a couple times a year.. the trigger sucks, but it's only job is to get me home safe if things go sideways.. and it was cheap enough that I don't care if the truck is stolen or burns down.

Goes bang every time and a small .40 piece of metal flys out in reasonably stright line.. that's all it does and that's all I expect it to do.

It's not a Glock, then again it's half the cost of a Glock (and has a better feeling grip).

Sometimes I think people just like to argue on the internet.. lol

Shoot-it
01-11-2012, 7:02 PM
I started a thread about the sigma 9 today my friend is selling his because of the heavy trigger.Once he shot my xd he was like wow.Yeah triggers go's a long way.

Tarn_Helm
01-11-2012, 7:11 PM

You have already summed up all the right reasons to like your handgun of choice.

So ignore the haters.

Or, offer to let them shoot it the next time you all are at the range.

If I really liked Sigmas, I would offer to buy them at cut-rate prices off of people who didn't.

Bottom line: Enjoy your inexpensive, American made, satisfying pistol and ignore the haters.

weinerd
01-11-2012, 7:11 PM
BTW guys may I remind you that I am in the military, And I by no means carry a glock.

That's cuz standard military issue sidearm is the M9. ;)

The sigma I tried had a very smooth, but revolver-long trigger. It fired fine, was a little snappy in 9mm. At that price point, given the choice b/w a 9mm Sigma or the Ruger P95, I'd go P95... But it's hard to find a pistol in 40 for that price...

Mossy Man
01-11-2012, 7:22 PM
You have already summed up all the right reasons to like your handgun of choice.

So ignore the haters.

Or, offer to let them shoot it the next time you all are at the range.

If I really liked Sigmas, I would offer to buy them at cut-rate prices off of people who didn't.

Bottom line: Enjoy your inexpensive, American made, satisfying pistol and ignore the haters.

I think 'haters' is the wrong term.

01-12-2012, 8:30 AM
this is intense! I say. If you don't own any of the guns you bash, or have not owned it for long enough for it to have a fair trial, then you can't say compare it to other guns that you gave a fair trial to.

I don't have any of the two so I can't say anything. I'm sure glocks, kimbers, berettas, etc. have higher quality because you pay more for it. But I think the question should be, is it worth it? Like is it worth it to buy a brand new mercedes-benz? when a more affordable import such as a honda or toyota, or domestic american car does what you needed the mercedes benz to do? That's up to you. And it applies to this situation. Is it worth it to buy a H&K USP when a RIA 1911 or XD45 shoots the same projectile? It's a balance between want and need. People that think you NEED something you just want are gun-snobs. Just as there are several cars that are more affordable, but do the same thing and sometimes even more reliably and efficiently, there are guns that are more affordable and do the same thing...Anything else is just for show or to make yourself feel cool. I would feel cool if I had an H&K. Heck I would swing around in my house pretending I'm Tomb Raider. But if I had a sigma or hi point or SD9 or whatever the heck is the hot budget buzz, I would take it to the range. shoot it. have fun. go home. yay. sadly...my tomb raider vision won't happen though. *Tear

drifter2be
01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

You dug your own grave when you started trying to compare it to a Glock, and then subsequently referring to them as "blocks".

If you can't understand that then :facepalm:

Personally, I have owned an SW9VE, it was a complete piece of crap, the build quality was inferior to every other handgun I have ever owned or fired. The trigger was absolute garbage, 12lbs is a ridiculous pull for a 9mm pistol, and the damn thing felt like a toy in my hands. I'm no fan of Glocks, they are probably the most uncomfortable gun I have ever held, but they are without a doubt the MOST reliable gun on the market. If it were not for the fact that they werent comfortable in my hand I would have bought a G26 instead of my XD9sc.

S&W is a great company for long guns and revolvers, and I have heard great things about the M&P pistols, but based on my experience with the sigma, the $300 that I paid for it was a complete rip off.

tonelar
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Correct me if Im wrong but weren't Sigmas first introd at $400? Or am I thinking of another SW?

A few years back I was shopping that $300 price range; I got a P6 for $345 out the door. Prolly the best handgun buy I've ever made. So, looking for quality on the cheap is definitely a worth while endeavor.

Lead Waster
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Well, unless the guy selling the used bl, er, glock is living in Austria, most likely your $300 is going to some local guy who will be buying stuff locally with the money. The original $500 he paid for the glock is already long spent, half here, half in Austria, but that $300 is probably going to be spent on local strippers.

rimfire78
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
There is no better firearm.
If you don't agree, then you're obviously just a jealous hater who pays too much for inferior guns and hates America. ;)

Joe Register
01-12-2012, 2:01 PM
Had one of these several years ago. Felt great in the hand. Couldn't shoot it well at all thanks to the heaviest trigger on any gun I have fired, ever. My baby soft hands just were not up to it. I think if you shot that gun every day one of your fingers would be shooting roids, bulking up like Barry Bond's head, running for gubernator and boning the not so hot house cleaner prior to divorcing its finger wife that looks suspiciously like the Predator. I don't understand why Smith didn't just make them with a better trigger.

c3 rolling
01-12-2012, 2:20 PM
I bought a Sigma for a 100 bucks from a good friend. He said it was reliable but he hated the trigger and I jumped on it. After taking it to the range, I immediately realized why he dumped it on me. The trigger is not just horrible, its too heavy and recoil is more snappy than Glocks. The overall finish was nice but the mechanics were inferior ( rough slide movement etc) .Im glad the OP thinks Sigmas are great but if you master a Glock/XD or any premium polymer for that matter, you will shoot better in every situation.

honeywalnutshrimp
01-12-2012, 3:16 PM
I'd take a 3rd gen smith over any of the polymer offerings they have today however if I had none I'd take anyone my budget would allow... Shoot one shoot all

Andermanr
01-12-2012, 3:20 PM
Sigmas are solid, dependable pistols. In addition, the low price point makes them excellent buys for shooters on a budget. Pencils down. I have an...extensive firearms inventory, including a pair of Sigmas. As they have demonstrated 100% functionality so far, I have to say, they are as reliable as anything I own.

Cheers,
Longbow

I agree with the above, also

The Sigma series pistols are so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.[1]

Andy

Crom
01-12-2012, 3:47 PM
The Sigma trigger is bad. Very bad. There is a reason they're so inexpensive. But if you like them then who cares?

Mossy Man
01-12-2012, 3:55 PM
I still think that the Sigma supporters are going in the wrong direction in this thread, and in general, when comparing them to other weapons.

I happily drive a 2011 Dodge Journey. Now, it's a great vehicle for me and my family (love the built in storage in the passenger seat and the stowage on the floor in the backseat, plus the third row seat for giggles), and for the amount we paid for it, I feel it is a great vehicle.

It is not, however, built with as quality materials as a BMW X5 nor does it have the luxuries or the "feel".

But it shouldn't, and I'll tell you why: I didn't buy a BMW X5. I bought a Dodge Journey. It meets and surpasses any expectations I have of it for what it was designed for (and what I purchased it for).

And again, nobody is going to compare (fairly) the Dodge Journey with a BMW X5.

Two different vehicles for two different purposes for two different target consumers. Sure, they share some similarities (four wheels and tires, similar dimensions and similar type of vehicle) but that's pretty much where it ends. The BMW is nicer inside, it's nicer outside, it handles better, is much faster, and has a lot more comfort and conveniences.

This does not mean the Dodge Journey is a POS because it's not a BMW X5.

It means its a Dodge Journey.

Do you guys get what I'm saying?

The Sigma for $275 isn't a POS because it doesn't have the same features or build quality of the Glock 22 for $500or even the Ruger SR40 for $450 or the S&W M&P40 for $475.

Sure they all shoot the same cartridge and have some similar features, but generally that's where the buck stops.

If Sigma owners stopped comparing their pistols to models they shouldn't be compared to, they would be much happier Sigma owners and threads like this wouldn't exist.

So yes, I'm happy with my Dodge. It's not a BMW but I'm cool with that. If you've got an X5 that's cool too. I'm sure you won't hold it against me for driving a dodge that cost 1/3 the price of your X5.

And as such I won't expect my Dodge to perform the way your X5 does, but I can rest assured that it will do what it was designed to do.

kwansao
01-12-2012, 3:58 PM
Ah, the trigger was awful on the one I shot. Try a CZ...

Fishslayer
01-12-2012, 5:34 PM
There has to be a reason Glock has 65% of the US Law enforcement market!

There is. It's called the bottom line. $$$

rimfire78
01-12-2012, 5:44 PM

If the bottom line $$$ were the reason, then by that logic wouldn't they have chosen the Sigma.... or the Hi-point?

pc_load_letter
01-12-2012, 5:50 PM
Sad that no one mentions how the sigma trigger can go from 14 lbs to 4 lbs by removing two springs.

Steve1968LS2
01-12-2012, 7:27 PM
As stated the Sigma is fine for what it is.. inexpensive, fairly reliable firepower..

Those that pretend that it's the same quality as a Glock, Sig, or even Baretta are somewhat delusional.

I have a .40 that has been quite reliable.. it overall quality is NOT the same as my more expensive guns.

http://i52.tinypic.com/28i2o0y.jpg

rimfire78
01-12-2012, 8:52 PM
My .40VE

Upgrades:
Ported barrel, metal guide rod, spring, trigger job, picatinni rail, and finger groove grip wrap.
I love her, but even with all the upgrades, she still doesn't measure up to my (STOCK) G19, M9, or 1911.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/rimfire78/PortedSigma.jpg

drifter2be
01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Sad that no one mentions how the sigma trigger can go from 14 lbs to 4 lbs by removing two springs.

Well yeah, if you want to buy a project, instead of something that works well out of the box...

Haven't noticed it mentioned yet so I will also throw in along with the crappy trigger, retarded proprietary rail. :facepalm:

DaveDurable
01-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Ive shot a Glock in 45 Caliber (its my father in laws) and I do not see the hype. Im not trying to bash it, or maybe I am, I dont really care. But I dont see what the big deal is.

I have also shot a sigma in 40 caliber and I thought it was awesome; much better than the Glock.

What everyone forgets is that it is just opinions. Most people here are not really credible experts and are overly bias. It is called the mine is better than yours type of psychological thinking (psychology 101 right there).

If you like the glock, cool! If you prefer the sigma, thats cool too! I prefer the sigma though. And I agree with the OP, for I do not understand why people have to be so bias and judging over these things.

Your last sentence bothers me because you contradict yourself. You state that a long trigger pull affects accuracy, and then you state one can shoot it accurately and therefore can shoot anything. That makes no sense. So, it does not affect accuracy is what you ultimately saying because it depends on the person shooting it and how much they have practiced.

Everyone just needs to agree that its all opinion and if you like then gun and works for you then good! But I still agree with the OP, why bash them so harshly? On the opposite side, why do people get so offended?

The only time I get offended is when people confuse facts for opinions.

It makes perfect sense that if you can shoot a sigma accurately you can probably shoot anything accurately because the trigger pull is so awful compared to almost anything else you'll ever fire. A force gauge will tell you the same story, and a machine does NOT have opinions.

$550, let alone $300, would be cheap enough to question the build quality of any handgun aside from a Glock or certain small revolvers. It always puzzles me how people can put a price tag on their safety, especially when the difference between a reliable means of protection and a horrible one is a month's worth of Starbucks...

Oh, that's right, it's because people who buy $300 new pistols treat the firearms world like an amusement park, and the range like a night at the movies.

socalbowhunter
01-18-2012, 2:28 PM
A few of my buddies own Sigmas and I've shot them. The trigger is really heavy but a good shot can deal with that. They are not unaccurate at all, in fact once you get use to the trigger pull they are great.

I have always heard you couldn't do anything to the trigger so I would be interested in knowing how you did a trigger job.

RollingCode3
01-18-2012, 2:35 PM

:facepalm: We all know how much you hate glock.

If the bottom line $$$ were the reason, then by that logic wouldn't they have chosen the Sigma.... or the Hi-point?

+1 This.

appagohm
01-18-2012, 3:16 PM
I just got one.... handled it seems fine. i might lighten up the trigger a bit.. What i noticed though was my glock has been in the safe and never fired.. so now my glock is for sale. hopefully i'll put more rds through the sigma. my favorite line up would have to be the Xd line up. But i love my sigs as well.

Shoot, I love all my guns.

Scout2Diesel
01-18-2012, 8:33 PM
... Because they only copied part of the Glock design and materials. Great fillers until you move up though.

Target19
01-19-2012, 12:58 AM
The M&P just make the Sigma and SD seem dull.
Help Afghan soldiers and donate your Sigma so they can put them to some good use.

doc540
01-19-2012, 6:35 AM
If truth and facts matter....read on

I've owned a half dozen or so of the new models.

The originals had problems.

The newer ones don't share the original problems.

Last three I've bought cost from $200-$225 used (in excellent condition).

PRICE is a deciding factor.

For less than $250 I get:
1. dependability
2. accuracy
3. high capacity
4. lifetime guarantee (to any owner, not just original owner)

So, I've made it my car gun (legal in TX)

Typically, the trigger is stiff and gritty.

Don't like the trigger?

Call S&W customer service
Tell them it's "gritty"
DO NOT tell them it's "stiff"
They'll email prepaid postage to return the frame
3 weeks later you'll get it back
MAJOR improvement, smooth as the proverbial buttah
It'll seem like they lightened the pull by 4lbs

I own HK's, Colts, Rugers, and Glocks

None of them match the Sigma features at the Sigma price.

It's an inexpensive, reliable, highcap, lifetime guaranteed pistol

Nothing more...nothing less