PDA

View Full Version : It's official! I'm an idiot (1911 frame scratcher)!

Lead Waster
01-08-2012, 11:43 PM
I was cleaning my 1911 and put it together. I DID NOT try and swing the slide release around to get it to engage, I pushed it straight down as I usually do, but spazzed out and .. tada! Idiot scratch!

Well, at least it's on my parkerized $500 RIA and not some multi thousand dollar boutique gun. But still, it's just there telling the world I'm an idiot. I hope I have a black sharpie somewhere ...

*sigh*

And no, no pics, if you've seen one idiot scratch, you've seen them all...

JTROKS
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
LOL! Don't worry man. It should shoot just fine as long as you put it behind you. Then there will be always someone to remind you. Welcome to the club.

Blackhawk556
01-09-2012, 1:24 AM
In a couple of years well see it in the marketplace with you saying, "previous owner did the scratch, not me" :)

NSR500
01-09-2012, 1:32 AM
1911 > You

Colt-45
01-09-2012, 2:01 AM
Idiot scratch means it's all yours :D

Get a bluing pen and the idiot scratch will all go away.

nosuchagency
01-09-2012, 2:09 AM
hope it's at least not one of those that begins at 12:00 o'clock position on slide and ends somewhere about 6:30 - 7:00. or as i like to refer to as the "lolz..." mark...

cwin
01-09-2012, 6:32 AM
Think of it as a badge of honor. Welcome to the club :)

VictorFranko
01-09-2012, 6:35 AM
Last week "I'm a terrible shot", now this, what's next? :p

Lead Waster
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I put the scratch on it at about 12am. I shot a USPSA match (not very well, but it was fun) and had the gun apart to clean. I was letting the #9 soak in to the barrel crud, went up stairs and forgot about it until I was going to bed, then remembered and wanted to assemble it quickly to put in the safe... NOTE: Don't do things when you are tired!

It doesn't bug me too much except that I did it. I plan to shoot this thing until I'm no longer a terrible shot. This gun is not destined to safe queen-ship.

Aesthetically, I kind of like the look of a gun that's been hard used, like an old pair of jeans. The idiot mark, though is a bright shiny arc of dumbness! I plan to take one of my kids' Dora stickers and cover up the mark :p

As for my terrible shooting, it continues. I'm making plans to meet up with another Cal gunner who says he can help critique my shooting. Going to the match was good too, lots of experienced shooters giving lots of good advice.

It took me I think 5 magazines (8 rounds = 40 rounds) to finish a "Polish plate rack" which is that rotating 8 plate steel target (averaging 5 shots per swinging plate!). I hit the last plate with the last round of my last magazine! If nothing else, I think I at least earned the respect of the more experienced shooters for not giving up! LOL!

One day I'll pass that 1911 to my kids, all beat up and scratched up and say "Here guys, this is what I learned on, now it's your turn! No need to be gentle, it's a warhorse!"

akdmx
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Is the 1911 "idiot scratch" only an issue on blued/coated guns, or are polished/raw guns at risk too?

ChrisTKHarris
01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Is the 1911 "idiot scratch" only an issue on blued/coated guns, or are polished/raw guns at risk too?

All guns are at risk.

What I do is use a small punch to depress the detent while pushing straight down on the slide release. Snaps right in.

PandaLuv
01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
ugh!!! I'm picking mine up in 2days, someone post a youtube vid so I can avoid !

Lead Waster
01-09-2012, 10:45 AM
All guns are at risk.

What I do is use a small punch to depress the detent while pushing straight down on the slide release. Snaps right in.

Mine snaps right in as well, but I wasn't holding the slide properly and ... I don't know what I was doing, but as I was pushing it in (straight in) I somehow managed to push it towards the trigger guard and scratched it.

I think generally it comes from people trying to swing the lever upwards to get it in place rather than coming in straight. Mine is extra idiocy because I knew how to put it in properly and slipped somehow to put the mark on!

Parkerized is slightly more susceptible, because it's kind of like a painted finish, so scratching through it is easy without scratching the metal. With a nickel/blued/raw frame, you are actually scratching into the metal (you can do that with parkerized as well of course, but light pressure is more likely to scratch parkerizing than metal, I think). I could be wrong about what parkerizing is though.

Lead Waster
01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
ugh!!! I'm picking mine up in 2days, someone post a youtube vid so I can avoid !

Here's a video (amongst many) That might illustrate what the scratch is. Don't waste money on buying something like that "idiot scratch preventer" it's easier to just not be an idiot

Sdtc4qD3jMw

I thought you were getting a CZ-75b ??

PandaLuv
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
thanks for the vid, nope bought myself a sig 1911 nitron. I also just sold my p226 so I can get another p226.

Though I still want a CZ, but the CZ SP01 tactical.

MontClaire
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I sold every gun I owned & scratched on gunbroker and people gladly bought them at discount. Now....many years later I learned my lesson.:oji:

jonzer77
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM

It's easy but there is a technique to it. What you can do avoid the idiot scratch is to put a piece electrical tape or a playing card on the frame so you don't scratch it until you get the hang of it. Also never try to put it together in a hurry like he said, I have a few small scratches from doing the same thing.

Skipando
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Your funny bro. I have a new ****in Kimber Ultra Carry i havent even shoot yet. Just took the ****er apart and scrached the ****in frame im pissed i dont like those 1911 slide stops. Oh well **** went out yesterday and got my self a brand new p220 compact sig combat. It has a break down lever that is 1000 times easier than that piece of **** 1911 slide stop pin. I guess after shooting the gun for years it becomes real easy to snap in.

Skipando
01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
I was cleaning my 1911 and put it together. I DID NOT try and swing the slide release around to get it to engage, I pushed it straight down as I usually do, but spazzed out and .. tada! Idiot scratch!

Well, at least it's on my parkerized $500 RIA and not some multi thousand dollar boutique gun. But still, it's just there telling the world I'm an idiot. I hope I have a black sharpie somewhere ...

*sigh*

And no, no pics, if you've seen one idiot scratch, you've seen them all...

Google that tool and buy it. its like 25$ and its great, just check it out and be your own judge.

Dark Mod
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Lol, im putting mine back together tonight for the first time, hope i dont scratch it

JoeinLA
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
FWIW, and IMHO, the Wilson Combat bulletproof slide release is cut at an angle that allows for straightforward pressure to push back the spring and allow the slide to go straight in, thus eliminating the chance of an idiot scratch.

The ones that came with my TRP and my Les Baer weren't as easy to insert, and were instantly replaced. I also bought a WC non-bulletproof extended slide release (though it might have been a really old one) that wasn't as straightforward to insert.

Gryff
01-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Ah big deal. The 1911 is a gun, which is a tool. People who obsess about "idiot marks" probably iron their thongs before the put them on every day.

21SF
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Ah big deal. The 1911 is a gun, which is a tool. People who obsess about "idiot marks" probably iron their thongs before the put them on every day.

Or they just dont want un-needed scratch on there gun. Would you be mad if you girl/wife hit your car with the gas nozzle and scratched the crap out of it?

PandaLuv
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Or they just dont want un-needed scratch on there gun. Would you be mad if you girl/wife hit your car with the gas nozzle and scratched the crap out of it?

I'd beat her senseless!!!!

jk, I know it's a tool, same with cars. I will admit, I'm a metrialistic person, I want my stuff to look nice, including me myself as a person.

Mac7504
01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Google that tool and buy it. its like 25$ and its great, just check it out and be your own judge.

I don't own a 1911, yet, but geez $25 buck for a piece of material...wow! With that being said, itís probably worth it to those who want peace of mind or in a hurry.

Do all 1911's have this type of take-down?

gant
01-09-2012, 12:27 PM
that video shows the guy sliding up and then going in, on my 1911 i just push straight down and the plunger kinda pushes itself out the way, i mean theres a very slight upward push but it seems like i just push straight into the hole and the plunger will just give out the way

basically

i push the slide stop in, and it'll depress in, then i notice it will go up and into the hole, but i never have to push and go up and same time

am i doing it wrong and hurting the plunger?

kwansao
01-09-2012, 12:31 PM
it's patina.. err, character.

Lead Waster

The thing is that I don't need the tool anymore. I mean, what am I going to scratch now ... the old scratch? LOL!

I'd spend $25 on a new magazine, an extended mag release button, a clip on magwell, a set of Hogue grips. I would never spend $25 on what amounts to a piece of tape. Using an old credit card, electrical tape, etc, etc is a better option. Or better yet, learn to put it in straight when you aren't tired and fumbling to get it done in a hurry.

The slide stop should go straight in. If it doesn't you COULD file a slight bevel into the slide stop so that it does. Or use a credit card edge to poke the pin in and then slide the thing in straight.

Just don't stick the slide stop back into the hole, then swing the lever up to get into the pin from the side.

Don't put it together in a hurry when you are tired!

Oh and another thing, I keep hearing people complain about full length guide rods making dis assembly or assembly hard. I don't understand this. The RIA tactical has a FLGR and it's a piece of cake to take apart and put together (idiot scratch or otherwise). I mean, assuming you read the 5 sentences in the manual that tell you how to do it.

21SF
You can just put your left thumb on the slide to block it from sliding past the detent...

Beelzy
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Er, I just slide a credit card in there when I encounter a sticky slide stop. :thumbsup:

Ornery Ol Bastard
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Just scratch it on the other side...for balance...

Cutest
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
You ever seen the Black Ops poster? How sick is that 1911. Take a blade and carve something starting with that scratch. Who the heck cares

Gryff
01-09-2012, 2:02 PM

No, because to be analogous, she would have "slightly" scratched a 4x4 that has seen a lot of mountain trails. It wouldn't be easy to see her scratch amidst all the others.

Tools get wear marks. They aren't china teacups.

zfields
01-09-2012, 2:11 PM

Im waiting for the "I just glock-legged myself" thread.

Lead Waster
01-09-2012, 2:16 PM
^^ Nah, I'm done with dumb for now!

I might be a bad shot, and scratch up my guns, but I'm never unsafe with them!

To I'm taking Thefeeders skeet clinic in Feb, so there will be stories of my adventures in the shotgun forum next month!

I told my wife I would concentrate on getting my 180 gallon aquarium out of the garage and set up nicely, so I'll be taking it easy on shooting stuff until that's done!

Wait, I lied, I'll probably try installing my CZ-75b parts into my 75 SA during non-aquarium times.

zfields
01-09-2012, 2:17 PM
^^ Nah, I'm done with dumb for now!

I might be a bad shot, and scratch up my guns, but I'm never unsafe with them!

To I'm taking Thefeeders skeet clinic in Feb, so there will be stories of my adventures in the shotgun forum next month!

I told my wife I would concentrate on getting my 180 gallon aquarium out of the garage and set up nicely, so I'll be taking it easy on shooting stuff until that's done!

Wait, I lied, I'll probably try installing my CZ-75b parts into my 75 SA during non-aquarium times.

Correction

"My CZ-75 Just went full auto!!" Thread

:chris:

Lead Waster
01-09-2012, 2:39 PM
^^ LOL! It will be more like

"Awesome! My CZ-75 Just went full auto!!" !!

I had to look up "Glock Leg". I never know that something like that happened often enough to coin a phrase about it!

SIGSHOOTR
01-09-2012, 4:40 PM
GUN + SCRATCH(ES) = CHARACTER

Cokebottle
01-09-2012, 5:09 PM
I've torn this one down and reassembled dozens of times.
It's my first 1911.

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/XD9/riarel.jpg

ZX-10R
01-09-2012, 5:32 PM
LOL! Don't worry man. It should shoot just fine as long as you put it behind you. Then there will be always someone to remind you. Welcome to the club.

This...It matters nothing except for the garage queeners.

Fishslayer
01-09-2012, 5:33 PM

Hope it's not "I ****** shot myself!" :cool:

Carsgunsandchics
01-09-2012, 7:31 PM
If it makes you feel better my new unfired stainless 1911 has the idiot scratch on the slide. My 85lb puppy decided he wanted some love when I was re-assembling my new toy. Now I don't have to worry about scratching it. It wasn't going to remain scratch free for long anyways as I prefer to shoot them vs oogle them.

Lead Waster
01-09-2012, 8:56 PM
They should charge extra for pre-scratched frames/slides then we can be proud of our perfect DIY scratches!

jessegpresley
01-09-2012, 9:56 PM

I gave myself an idiot scratch on a polymer framed Kahr PM9.

ParanoidCivilian
01-10-2012, 5:48 AM
since your gun is now ruined. I'll buy it from you. It is not worth much at this point. :rolleyes:

Brandon04GT
01-10-2012, 5:52 AM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5061/5847468428_3069fd6ce2_z.jpg

It was my first 1911 so I just had to make sure lol

ChopperX
01-10-2012, 7:28 AM
I suffered from idiot scratch syndrome. Then my doctor prescribed me blue painters tape. Now I feel better than ever while reassembling my 1911.

plankowner
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a springfield armory milspec that I have had probably 15 years or so and last year was teaching my gf son how to break it down and clean it , I told him to be careful not to scratch it ...but fell on deaf ears .

Lead Waster
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, like I said, maybe it's best just to have the scratch, then live with it and never worry about re-scratching it again!

Well, this is another reason to buy a base model 1911 first. Get your scratching and learning with it before buying that $4000 gold plated South American Dictator/Drug lord gun.

dartbrandx
01-10-2012, 7:51 PM
Ouch!

But,

If you want it in showroom condition. Leave it in the showroom. It's a gun. It will get scratched! Altleast that's what I tell myself.

:facepalm:I'm just trying to make myself feel better. +1 here for the idiot scratch too! :facepalm:

drpepper
01-11-2012, 1:31 AM
yeah when i scratched my sig1911 i was so upset that i wanted to immediately go out and get another but then i relaxed and calmed down and realized that these are tools/fun toys that are meant to be used. i think i was thinking about them too much as investments and holding their value and at least for me that was the wrong approach.

Bert Gamble
01-11-2012, 2:25 AM
I don''t know if it is just me, or my gun, but the only way I can easily get the slide stop back in is to reassemble the recoil spring and bushing first (the slide stop is the last part that goes in during reassenbly). Then I hold the slide back to where the "lock"notch is, and the slide lock slides right in. It will come out at the right position, but will not go back in. Very strange.

Before I figured this out, I had sometimes hours of work trying to get it back in.

Did I come upon the proper method by accident, or did I screw up and get lucky?

Write Winger
01-11-2012, 7:47 AM
Now I'd like to see Kimber come out with a 1911IS Pro that comes with arching serrations below the slide stop.

Lead Waster
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I don''t know if it is just me, or my gun, but the only way I can easily get the slide stop back in is to reassemble the recoil spring and bushing first (the slide stop is the last part that goes in during reassenbly). Then I hold the slide back to where the "lock"notch is, and the slide lock slides right in. It will come out at the right position, but will not go back in. Very strange.

Before I figured this out, I had sometimes hours of work trying to get it back in.

Did I come upon the proper method by accident, or did I screw up and get lucky?

Actually, this is sort of how I scratched mine. I SHOULD HAVE assembled the barrel, bushing, etc, etc first, then as the last step, put the slide on, move it to the notch and push the slide stop straight in. Instead, for some dumb reason, I decided to put the spring and cap on last, and while I was fumbling with the slide stop, I guess something started to fall out and I fumbled around and .... voila! Idiot scratch!

I just stared at it for like 2 minutes, with a head of steam building behind my ears. Then I just took a few breathes and thought. OK, I'll rant on Calguns, then I'll let it go.

That gun is no safe queen. In fact, I look forward to shooting it so much that it is has a nice patina of wear on it, like I think all guns should have!

Skipando
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Hell yeah you said what you said and you even showed us how its done . Good work

MongooseV8
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Meh guns are meant to be used. I never understood why the idiot scratch is such a huge deal. It happens even if you are careful and know better. My 1911 is not a fragile object and I treat it accordingly.

Don't beat yourself uP too bad.

puRe59
01-11-2012, 11:41 AM
I usually put the slide stop on before the bushing. I lightly scratched my springfield loaded and after that I took a needle file to make a bevel so that the slide stop just pushes straight in.

I almost scratched my DW Valor, but luckily the finishing on it is really tough! I tried making a bevel on the slide stop, but I couldn't even make a mark (I'm guessing cuz its a non-MIM part?). Since having to put together my Valor without the bevel, I've noticed that its actually not too difficult to push the slide stop back in. Gotta line up the slide just right...takes practice.

2nd Shot
01-11-2012, 2:33 PM
Don't feel too bad, I managed to put a scratch in the chrome on a brand new Desert Eagle because I'm used to my polymer guns and forgot to take off my carbide ring first. Oh well, in my service, even the DE is supposed to be a shooter/tool, and have the wear marks to prove it, still though, sucks.

Also, I know the "get a Glock" remarks are obnoxious, but mine are supposed to be my take anywhere/bang around guns, and after dropping one (empty) slide first on the concrete, after brushing the concrete dust off, I still have yet to scratch it. Figures.

Cokebottle
01-11-2012, 4:57 PM
Instead of tape or other gizmos, just pull the thumb safety.
The other end of the spring behind the slide stop pin pushes on the safety pin.

Just don't let it launch.

You can also file a GENTLE radius on the bottom of the stop and it will guide the pin right back into the frame.

PrimerDust360
01-11-2012, 9:37 PM
No, because to be analogous, she would have "slightly" scratched a 4x4 that has seen a lot of mountain trails. It wouldn't be easy to see her scratch amidst all the others.

Tools get wear marks. They aren't china teacups.

I agree, a proper 4x4 should have some body damage.

A "properly restored" '69 Charger should have sidepipes and rusty Cragars, bonus points for air-shocks and a barefoot gas pedal.

All my nice Snap-On tools show minor wear.

My 1991 Gibson Explorer has been very well cared for, but it has some play wear and the back of the body has some belt buckle rash. I bought that guitar to play, after all and it is such a sweet guitar it'd be a damn shame to keep it locked in a case out of fear of scratching it.

I've had my Ruger 10/22 less than a year now and it has some small nicks and dings in the stock. I'll gladly buy a used gun with an idiot scratch and if I buy a brand-new one it won't be long before it isn't perfect. I imagine I will get a nick or two on the AR lower when I assemble it.

I like to keep my things well maintained but believe some honest wear gives them character.

Hopalong
01-12-2012, 7:24 AM
Although I don't go out of my way to mark up my guns

Whether it's scratches, dings, or holster wear

It's not the end of the world, and they add character.

Last year I got myself a new EMP for Christmas

Brought it in to the sheriff's office to add it to my CCW

A big burley detective comes out to check the serial numbers

And says, "you ever shoot this thing?"

I was embarrassed it didn't have any "character" on it.

He wouldn't say those words now, although still no idiot marks on it.

I use the fat part at the base of my thumb and hand to push the slide stop in.

I've had no problems as it seems that there is no place for it to go but in

That big muscle surrounds the stop and keeps it from moving around

sneather
01-12-2012, 7:36 AM
Some smart 1911 manufacturer should consider designing a model with an etched line already there under the slide lock. That way it wouldn't matter if you ever slipped up! :)

Omil
01-12-2012, 8:16 AM
[QUOTE=Lead Waster;7809323]

^^^..Well said!

Practice makes perfect:)!

PandaLuv
01-12-2012, 9:30 AM
OMG !!!!! I SCRATCHED MY FRAME ALREADY!!!!!!!

not ! :D

I picked up the gun and shot 100 rounds, and my friends shot 150 round. wow, the gun is a dream. Just fieldstripped it and cleaned, it was so much easier than I though. Hicock did it right
Check it out

-GLeP28IdPA

All it is really, you dont want that lever touching the frame, that's it

the range review is coming, with vids and pics. I am just not happy wit the way I shot yesterday :( going in today too

Ornery Ol Bastard
01-12-2012, 9:42 AM
Yay ... finally graduated to a MAN size Weapon...:clap:...instead of playing with those 9's...:45:

:lurk5:

polo.45
01-12-2012, 9:45 AM
I scratched mine..... But its my fun gun... shoots Great ... Hey guys!! Scratch Your Frames ..Shoot your Guns ... Have fun... End Of The world ... The Zombie Apocalypse 2012 .... :83: :25::cheers2:

Skipando
01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5061/5847468428_3069fd6ce2_z.jpg

It was my first 1911 so I just had to make sure lol
Now thats how its done!!!!!!!!:43:

bubbapug1
01-12-2012, 10:13 AM
The only ones who never did it are the ones who never clean their guns!!

Its no biggie!!

As they say, tape can be your best friend.

Blackhawk556
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Tape or this modification
After doing this you will be able to push it in very easily. NO MORE IDIOT SCRATCH. :)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/44235640.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/b069b942.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/3ceba7ed.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/du9207/Savage%20arms/1911%209mm/34378315.jpg

CrazyJeep
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Tape or this modification
After doing this you will be able to push it in very easily. NO MORE IDIOT SCRATCH. :)

Yup, did that mod to my slide stop as well. Super easy mod.

Here's a video I made to show how easy it goes in now.

482rsBNrWgs

Sunday
01-12-2012, 12:20 PM
A gun is a tool not a pretty thing . Use it, scratch it, wear it out.

pTa
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=130106&stc=1&d=1326404926

could be worse/ you couldv'e done this

Fishslayer
01-12-2012, 5:40 PM
How in the world do you scratch it in FRONT of the trigger guard?:confused:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=130106&stc=1&d=1326404926

could be worse/ you couldv'e done this

drkphibr
01-12-2012, 6:09 PM

I'd assume it was inserted, but left "hanging" in the trigger guard until it was going to be be rotated to the latch hole...only it was probably lifted and rotated left (maybe by leaving it hang and then adjusting/jerking the slide left/off and catching the take down latch with enough force to swing it up/left and scratch).

calcustom
01-12-2012, 7:10 PM
Who ever has AOC4587, it was like that when I got it.
mm hmm.

Lead Waster
01-12-2012, 8:42 PM
You know, I think there is some guy named Previous Owner sneaking into factories and people's gun safes and messing up there nice shiny guns!!

em9sredbeam
01-13-2012, 8:14 AM
I bought mine used with one already so I dont have to worry about it. Gun still shoots fine with it..... I thought that little scratch on the outside causes the gun to melt and deteriorate, and the springs to warp and the trigger to fall out and eventually blow up in your face...Shame on us all.....We are all going to burn in H3ll for it...:devil2:

pTa
01-30-2012, 6:13 PM

or on the slide/ neve runderstimate the power of stupidity/

gixxerfitz
01-30-2012, 6:38 PM
I have the same scratch. Me and my scratch go way back. :)

osxgp
01-30-2012, 7:08 PM
Ehh, it adds character.

Steelplate45
01-30-2012, 7:15 PM
Dry fire 2 or 3 times a week. Hang a sheet of paper on the wall with a dot drawn on it (I drew a bunch of steel plates and IDPA targets on mine).

Particularly with a 1911, you need to dry fire it, more than you shoot it.

As for my terrible shooting, it continues. I'm making plans to meet up with another Cal gunner who says he can help critique my shooting. Going to the match was good too, lots of experienced shooters giving lots of good advice.

paratroop
01-30-2012, 11:09 PM
now take your 1911 and club some baby seals, then pistol whip a condor. thats my break in procedure.

bigcalidave
01-31-2012, 8:10 AM
I like to take my guns and throw them in my gravel driveway, then kick them around a little, as soon as I get them. Then I don't worry about little scratches.

biggestez
01-31-2012, 6:05 PM
I always keep insta blue or 44/40 around if its a light scratch it will blend in.

chickenfried
01-31-2012, 6:22 PM
Which is a prouder moment, the first time you put "the scratch" on a 1911 or pounding your first squib out of the barrel?

Lead Waster
01-31-2012, 6:30 PM
The prouder moment is two days after the idiot scratch when you decide that it's ok to have scratches and wear marks on a gun if they are from honest use.
Like having callouses on your hands!!

chickenfried
01-31-2012, 6:40 PM
While we're at it, let's put double charges(knock on wood), knocking your gun off the workbench, and shooting the wrong caliber in the honest use category too.:p

Coded-Dude
01-31-2012, 7:07 PM
Is this an idiot scratch?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-QQkHXYtg8H4/Tyi5TF3emqI/AAAAAAAAA10/iVwy_fbDHWk/w452-h270-k/IMAG0072.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nc8pFnVXWaU/Tyi5S7g0FhI/AAAAAAAAA1Y/5aGt3oFGS_0/w409-h684-k/IMAG0078.jpg

:o

MA2
02-01-2012, 6:14 AM
^No, just the slide stop rubbing to the frame.

I would touch it up, and sand down the slide stop.

Coded-Dude
02-01-2012, 8:14 AM
yeah i have a bad problem with pushing the slide stop down, rather than just pulling back on the slide to release it....

chickenfried
02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Nope:) Is this an idiot scratch?

Write Winger
02-01-2012, 7:40 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/Trumpet1/idiotscratch.jpg

ZX-10R
02-02-2012, 2:55 PM

Winner...I care less...It is impossible not to even get a hairline scratch when cleaning...I don't care...My Colt goes to the grave with me.

klikoman
02-10-2012, 3:44 PM
i have a big scratch on my ria 1911, not that i did it but a friend of mine holstered it wrong and f*cked the slide a bit. Im trying to make him chrome my 1911 lol.

fal_762x51
02-10-2012, 4:47 PM
I never did that to my 1911. Hell, I never heard of it until today. Learn something new everyday.

Fishslayer
02-10-2012, 6:26 PM
Meh... just a Kimber... :stirpot:

Never notice with those forward serrations & "Custom Shop" emblazoned on the slide... ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/Trumpet1/idiotscratch.jpg