PDA

View Full Version : I succumbed to the allure of an Bledsoe engraved Cattle brand ruger.....

bubbapug1
01-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I succumbed to the allure of an engraved Cattle brand ruger.....

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/piconeofbledsoe.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/pictwoofbledsoe.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/pix802371915.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/bubbapug1/pix802112587.jpg

justjeff
01-09-2012, 7:38 PM
That's a sweet piece of art!!!

CSACANNONEER
01-09-2012, 7:44 PM
I've seen personalized pieces similar to that go for $10K and up. But, that definatley depends on who's it was and how easy it is to identify it. Is there a documented history of this piece? Do you know the artist who did it? If not, it will just depend on the quaility of the work and how bad YOU want it. I've seen awesome oil paintings and other art work by no name artists go for peanuts and crap art by big name artists go for a fortune.

Oceanbob
01-09-2012, 7:50 PM
Unless that weapon belonged to someone famous and it can be proven it's really not worth more than $1000. There is no collector value unless the weapon can by tied to someone we all know.

It's a Ruger. Not really a shooter. While it is engraved it seems kinda cheesy looking. Who would buy it..? I doubt there is a market for this gun.

Once you shoot it, it becomes common. JMO

beerman
01-09-2012, 7:51 PM
Not worth squat to me,modern engraved guns dont do it for me. Even older engraved guns are to me like looking at a chop top Duesenberg with a blown chevy and a jag rear end. But thats just me.To each his own.

MontClaire
01-09-2012, 7:57 PM
worthless. Spend your money on something else.

bubbapug1
01-09-2012, 9:34 PM
It was engraved by Weldon Bledsoe. Its the classic Texas ranch brand style which is a well known

Matt P
01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Engraved firearms are quite valuable. I have sold several for very big dollars. The last was a SW 66 with full coverage. It went for $1900.00. Factory engraved SWs go for around that and more.
There is little doubt that Ruger is worth the $2000.
You do not see many full engraved Rugers. I would suggest it is easily worth $2000. If it had been a Colt or a SW with that level of engraving then maybe a little to a whole bunch more.
Since you know who engraved it, this can certainly add to the value.
I have never purchased an engraved one, just sold 4-6 of them.

My opinion is based on actual owning and selling engraved firearms. Amazing some here would dismiss what is an incredible amount of hard exacting work. You may not like it, but that is art. Beautiful work.
Thanks for posting the images.

BDH
01-09-2012, 10:55 PM
You may want to see if there are comparables at the firearms auction houses. Unless it is a well-known master engraver, it will not add more than what's already been discussed. Also, it's not a Colt. The work is certainly top quality, although a bit over the top.

You may want to try this link to Weldon Bledsoe's student, a master engraver: http://www.dwharris.com/engraving.htm He may have an estimate for auction value. It appears Bledsoe has been gone for some time.

HTH
Bruce

psssniper
01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Looks like this one from the dwharris site
http://www.dwharris.com/gun%20pictures/sa/sa/images/IMGP0132_JPG_jpg.jpg

bubbapug1
01-22-2012, 11:56 PM
dwharris learned the craft from bledsoe, and bledsoe from agee.

Thefeeder
01-22-2012, 11:58 PM
PM sent with info

ehair
01-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Not my cup of tea but it looks pretty nice. thanks for posting.

hyperion.excal
01-23-2012, 12:40 AM
get a wilson combat

bubbapug1
01-23-2012, 8:32 AM
get a wilson combat

Anything but a para...thats for sure!

Revoman
01-23-2012, 6:10 PM
Factory engraving is almost always worth more than non-factory engraving. The value is probably in the $1000 area. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but it IS very nice and a work of art.

hyperion.excal
01-23-2012, 6:18 PM
Anything but a para...thats for sure!

why so?

bubbapug1
01-26-2012, 1:24 PM
Factory engraving is almost always worth more than non-factory engraving. The value is probably in the $1000 area. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but it IS very nice and a work of art.

The beginning price for most high end engraving job with 100% coverage from a master engraver is $2,500.00

What facts do you base your commnts on? From what I've researched and discovered the opposite is true.

bubbapug1
01-27-2012, 9:43 PM
I pulled the trigger on the ruger...it just looked too nice to pass up.

gatesbox
01-27-2012, 9:49 PM
It's a Ruger. Not really a shooter.

WTF is that supposed to mean, the most commonly used SASS gun is not a shooter? I'd love to get mine scratched....

OP looks like a fine prize to me, lots a pards would be green with envy.....

Lead Waster
01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Looks like you better get yourself a cartel and start selling drugs with a fancy pants iron like that!

Fishslayer
01-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I pulled the trigger on the ruger...it just looked too nice to pass up.

You're ready to hobnob at the finest of barbecues!:D That's a real work of art.

Kind of curious that the previous owner didn't put some fancy stocks on it.:confused: Got any plans for that?

And...

... are ya gonna shoot it? ;)

bubbapug1
01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Looks like you better get yourself a cartel and start selling drugs with a fancy pants iron like that!

Now that's an idea!!!

ivanimal
01-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Stunning! Beautiful work by a well known engraver. Enjoy your piece of art well worth what you paid and beyond.

The Gleam
01-28-2012, 11:29 AM
There are so many misinformed replies in this thread about what makes a particular engraved firearm valuable, or a high-point in a collection, or comments on Rugers in general, it's laughable.

1) Often WHO did the engraving is more notable than to whom the gun belonged. A combination of both is often the norm, but knowing who previously owned it is not always a luxury - but yes, can be a plus. But the lack of a celebrity owner does not take away from the value if a master engraver (as is the case here) did the full 100% coverage. I think in this case, being a Bledsoe gun speaks for itself. If that truly is a Weldon Bledsoe engraving, it's an excellent buy.

2) That engraving is highly complex - that is not amateur hour on that one. That alone makes it exceptional.

3) Weldon Bledsoe is no longer; and like as logic dictates, with any artist that was worth their salt while alive, after they die they tend to stop creating any more works of art. Death has a funny way of causing the value of the works that do exist to go up a smidge.

4) Factory engraved guns are quite sought after IF truly engraved, one-offs, and not a highly replicated engraving of very simple features (such as one-off older World Fair guns or SHOT-show specials from the likes of Colt, Smith, Korth, Perazzi, Cosmi, etc.) However, if the aftermarket engraver is notable, that can stand well beyond in value of what a production-released factory engraved may be in value.

5) The comment on factory engraved guns being more valuable than aftermarket engraved guns is ONLY true if the factory hires a highly sought-after aftermarket engraver to do one-off work - someone like Bledsoe. So, the opposite is true; the celebrity aftermarket artist creates the value FOR the "factory" engraved gun. But then, is it really "factory" engraved?

6) With engraved guns, there is no such thing as "although a bit over the top". That's what makes it. Any less application of engraving indicates factory attempts toward "limited edition" marketing hype and "commemorative guns" not worth much more than their non-engraved counterparts, with multiple numbers produced or replicated production guns to only resemble accomplished engraving (really often done with machines).

7) Rugers are not shooters? Are you kidding? Rugers are some of the most stout-framed revolvers on this earth. My favorite? No - but nobody that knows firearms would deny that Rugers are more rugged than any revolvers from Smith or Colt - and that includes Rugers FULL line of both single and double action revolvers.

8) And being an engraved Ruger - THAT is uncommon in and of itself. There are likely 20 half-as-capable engraved Colts for every one exceptionally engraved Ruger (like this one). I would say it's unique esoteric aspect with that highly detailed and quality engraving will make it stand apart as an equal to such Colts or Smiths in that regard.

9) Matt P said it right as well, in multiple ways. And I agree with him:

"Matt P: My opinion is based on actual owning and selling engraved firearms. Amazing some here would dismiss what is an incredible amount of hard exacting work. You may not like it, but that is art. Beautiful work.

10) Excellent find bubbapugg1. While not sure what you paid, do some research into that one and I think you will find you did quite well.

rp55
01-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Beautiful piece of work. Is Bledsoe's "2 lazy 2 P" mark on it?
http://www.dwharris.com/tolazy.jpg

Joey_H
01-28-2012, 5:11 PM
Wow that revolver is beautiful! I could look at it for hours. Are you going to shoot it?

bubbapug1
01-28-2012, 9:39 PM
Beautiful piece of work. Is Bledsoe's "2 lazy 2 P" mark on it?
http://www.dwharris.com/tolazy.jpg

Yes, both his normal marks are on it. I also found out who owned the gun, it was a well known oil man in Houston.

The Gleam, thanks for your take on the gun...but as you know...haters gonna hate, and ignorance never stopped anyone from offering up their opinion, no matter how malicious it was intended to be!!

I guess if its not a glock...it just isn't up to being ownable.

bubbapug1
02-01-2012, 9:47 PM
I finally got this shipped into state. While it looked good in the pictures, I must day they do no justice to what it looks like in the flesh. Mike at OC Armory told me I would be a fool to ever shoot it unless I bought a spare cylinder for it as rotating the engraved one will eventually scratch it...Its an unbelievable piece of work.

Fishslayer
02-01-2012, 9:52 PM
Mike at OC Armory told me I would be a fool to ever shoot it unless I bought a spare cylinder for it as rotating the engraved one will eventually scratch it...Its an unbelievable piece of work.

Dooode! It's already all scratched up. It's COVERED with scratches! :D

bubbapug1
02-02-2012, 7:30 AM
Dooode! It's already all scratched up. It's COVERED with scratches! :D

True...but they are controlled scratches!!

bubbapug1
02-05-2012, 9:23 PM
Would I decrease the value much on the gun to get the safety hammer bar installed? It's a retrofit from Ruger. I was thinking of sending it in to get a spare cylinder so I can at least put a few round through it.

Fishslayer
02-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Would I decrease the value much on the gun to get the safety hammer bar installed? It's a retrofit from Ruger. I was thinking of sending it in to get a spare cylinder so I can at least put a few round through it.

On a standard 3 screw yes, the safety mod would decrease the collector value. I have no clue about THAT gun.

I know Ruger used to return the parts when the mod was done, I have heard that they don't anymore. I could be totally wrong on that but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

bubbapug1
02-06-2012, 7:30 AM
They send the old parts back. Not that I would be carrying this gun loaded, or that I am even going to shoot it...but you never know when you might hit the lottery and decide to shoot cowboy action in style.

Fishslayer
02-06-2012, 7:59 AM
They send the old parts back. Not that I would be carrying this gun loaded, or that I am even going to shoot it...but you never know when you might hit the lottery and decide to shoot cowboy action in style.

I've never done it, but I've been TOLD the mod is easily reversable. Just swap the old parts back in. Might have a look at one of the Ruger forums.

I kind of like showing up at the range with something that not everybody & his dog has. If I saw somebody whip out that Ruger & start blasting away I would be pretty impressed. :D

bubbapug1
02-12-2012, 12:13 AM
I brought this thing home today, and upon close inspection I did find Bledsoe's mark, and the 2 lazy 2 Pee is very prominent in the barrel.

One thing I was totally unprepared for is how to take care of this thing. I can see some tarnishing on some areas, like the hammer. I used a little chrome cleaner and it came off, but that area is raw Stainless.

In the pictures I saw a slight gold tint, but in person its obvious this gun had some sort of treatment on parts (most) of it which look like a gold wash or something. I certainly don't want to polish that part as the gold will disappear forever.

Does anyone know a jeweler in the OC area who I could take the gun to for some tips on how to care for the finish and bring the gun back to its luster in some areas??

jswr450
02-12-2012, 8:46 AM
I really like that revolver. It's beautiful..

Congratulations on the new piece..