PDA

View Full Version : Handgun transfer

F8ality
01-05-2012, 1:59 AM
Alright guys my stepfather who lives in Vegas, bought me a handgun for Christmas but it is not on the CA list. So am I sol? He comes out to visit about every other month. So can we p2p transfer here at a local dealer being it is family?

halifax
01-05-2012, 2:28 AM
It could be given to you by your mother or by your stepfather if he legally adopted you. No AWs though and you'll need a 10 rd or less magazine.

davek8s
01-05-2012, 7:28 AM
That's a good step dad. What did he get you?

appagohm
01-05-2012, 8:41 AM
It doesn't matter if it's ppt. Off list or not, if your transfering the firearm, you'll be fine. Just make sure it's in your step fathers name. If you don't have ten rounders make sure your step father breaks it down to give to you as rebuilds.

halifax
01-05-2012, 8:49 AM
It doesn't matter if it's ppt. Off list or not, if your transfering the firearm, you'll be fine. Just make sure it's in your step fathers name. If you don't have ten rounders make sure your step father breaks it down to give to you as rebuilds.

An off-roster handgun can be transferred only via PPT between two CA residents. Since the step-father is coming from Las Vegas, I'll assume he is not a CA resident;hence, what you are proposing is not legally doable in CA unless the OP is exempt from the roster requirement.

Ubermcoupe
01-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Alright guys my stepfather who lives in Vegas, bought me a handgun for Christmas but it is not on the CA list. So am I sol? He comes out to visit about every other month. So can we p2p transfer here at a local dealer being it is family?

No. As Halifax stated, PPT can only be completed between two CA residents.

CA only recognizes direct lineage for IFT (see calguns wiki IFT here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members#In terstate_Intrafamily_transfers_need_FFL_located_in _CA)) take halifax’s suggestion on having it come from your mother “gift” it to you by shipping it to a local FFL that understands how to process roster exempt IFTs (some FFLs don’t understand how it works)

OR

Have your stepfather ship it to a local FFL that can perform SSE for you on the offroster. (This will most likely be more expensive)

Soo0o0, What didja get??? :D