PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDm

pilot1695
12-27-2011, 8:14 AM
Hi guys
Is the XDm model for LE only?

Modimo
12-27-2011, 8:18 AM
It is not on the CA Approved roster which means if you want to buy it, you have to:

1. Be LEO
2. Buy it through PPT (Private Party Transfer).
3. Go through an FFL willing to do a single shot exemption on it (use the search feature to get more detail on this.

Gunfighter420
12-27-2011, 8:21 AM
Hi guys
Is the XDm model for LE only?

To answer your question no.

Anybody can buy one except if you live in California an FFL dealer cannot sell it to you direct.

To obtain one, it can be done in 3 ways.......

1st. If an LEO buys one and decides he doesn't like it, you can buy it from him and do a PPT at an FFL.

2nd. If someone out of state bought one, moved to California and brought it with him and decides to sell it, you can buy it from the person and do a PPT at an FFL.

3rd. If you find a 07FFL, and if they have the parts, they can do a SSE, sell it to you and after you do your 10 day wait you pick it up with the conversion still on it. Walk out the door to your car, leave the paperwork in your car, and walk back in the store and they can convert it back to its normal state. This has to be done becuase you have to take possesion of it then come back to convert it back. I've done this twice already.

Briancnelson
12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Having tried both extensively now, I have to conclude I actually prefer the XD in any case. There are features of the XDm that make it desirable in some respects, but I shoot my XD better, for what it's worth.

cruising7388
12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Having tried both extensively now, I have to conclude I actually prefer the XD in any case. There are features of the XDm that make it desirable in some respects, but I shoot my XD better, for what it's worth.

Could you expand on what you found were the pros and cons of each model?

Pelicandriver
12-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Also, SA doesn't make 10 round mags for the XDm 9 or 40. So if you're not LE, you'd have to have the mags blocked off before taking possession.

lwlaml
12-27-2011, 1:51 PM
See my post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=514204) re: XDM. I just did my DROS today with EBR.

Good luck!

Just Dave
12-27-2011, 1:53 PM
Is the XDm off roster because of the mags?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the only reason they're not sold in CA was do to the normal capacity magazines which are the only ones being made for 'm' models.

lwlaml
12-27-2011, 2:02 PM
They're not on the roster because Springfield did not submit them to be approved.

Why Springfield didn't get them approved could be because of many reasons. One obvious one which would clearly eliminate the XDM from being in compliance with CA requirements is that the gun was designed without a magazine disconnect feature.

Blackhawk556
12-27-2011, 2:12 PM
its not on the roster because it needs a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator. the XDm only has one of those. the magazine capacity is just a road bump but not the reason for it not being on the roster.

I have one and guess what, I recommend the SP-01. XDm needs a major trigger job if you get one, look into springer precision.

Sent from Los Alamos Nuclear Facility

Just Dave
12-27-2011, 2:25 PM
Thanks for the info.
I did a search and I'm trying to figure out when CA mandated a mag disconnect, I bought a regular XD a few months ago and don't have that bug feature.

wingman
12-27-2011, 2:29 PM
Call Tracy Rifle and pistol - they are only norcal FFL doing SSE and they seal mags to 10 4u

lwlaml
12-27-2011, 2:47 PM
Yeah, the XD in it's original form as the HS2000 was made back in 1999 and wasn't sold in the US under the name Springfield XD until 2002. I believe that since the original form preceded the effective date of the list in 2001, the XD is exempt from compliance.

Lester

Thanks for the info.
I did a search and I'm trying to figure out when CA mandated a mag disconnect, I bought a regular XD a few months ago and don't have that bug feature.

Quiet
12-28-2011, 6:28 AM
its not on the roster because it needs a magazine disconnect and a loaded chamber indicator. the XDm only has one of those. the magazine capacity is just a road bump but not the reason for it not being on the roster.
Actually, the XDM has neither.

The loaded chamber indicator on the XDM does not meet CA's standard for a "chamber load indicator" because it does not have a text warning engraved on the indicator or next to the indicator.

Penal Code 16380
As used in this part, "chamber load indicator" means a device that plainly indicates that a cartridge is in the firing chamber. A device satisfies this definition if it is readily visible, has incorporated or adjacent explanatory text or graphics, or both, and is designed and intended to indicate to a reasonably foreseeable adult user of the pistol, without requiring the user to refer to a user's manual or any other resource other than the pistol itself, whether a cartridge is in the firing chamber.

Penal Code 16900
As used in this part, "magazine disconnect mechanism" means a mechanism that prevents a semiautomatic pistol that has a detachable magazine from operating to strike the primer of ammunition in the firing chamber when a detachable magazine is not inserted in the semiautomatic pistol.

Equis
12-28-2011, 1:01 PM
Call Tracy Rifle and pistol - they are only norcal FFL doing SSE and they seal mags to 10 4u

Don't forget Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas, that is where I purchased mine! Good guys there. Great pistol!

happy trigger
12-28-2011, 5:50 PM
Don't forget about the inter-family transfer if it works in you situation. It did for my XDM40!

Sturnovik
12-28-2011, 5:54 PM
It is not on the CA Approved roster which means if you want to buy it, you have to:

1. Be LEO
2. Buy it through PPT (Private Party Transfer).
3. Go through an FFL willing to do a single shot exemption on it (use the search feature to get more detail on this.

+1.

osxgp
12-28-2011, 11:48 PM
I think the CA roster is a way to slowly eliminate handguns in this state. Sooner or later the gun companies are gonna get tired of paying the extortion fee to keep their guns on the CA list. Criminals will always get a gun but those of us who can legally own a firearm will be the ones who suffer.

chim-chim7
12-29-2011, 12:29 AM
I think the CA roster is a way to slowly eliminate handguns in this state. Sooner or later the gun companies are gonna get tired of paying the extortion fee to keep their guns on the CA list. Criminals will always get a gun but those of us who can legally own a firearm will be the ones who suffer.

Why? The roster is a joke, and it no longer applies to any handguns I want. I love my XDm. Go SSE and your whole world opens up, don't let the roster hold you back from what you want.