PDA

View Full Version : Where can i shoot for free in san diego

eben48
12-16-2011, 8:23 PM
I am trying to find a place to shoot for free in san diego. I know of orasco ridge but its closed for good. I really dont want to pay for a range . Is it legal to shoot out in the middle of the desert somewhere?

brownfeathermedic
12-16-2011, 9:25 PM
Try shooting in Jacumba,ca just east of Boulevard. Dont take anything illegal cause iv'e been questioned about my Fal when i was out there last. there are BLM RANGERS. and Border patrol crusing out there too.Please pick up after yourself and possibly bring out more trash than you take in. And you'll be good to go!

Fyathyrio
12-16-2011, 9:44 PM
Yup, I've talked to the ranger out there, he supports shooting/2A, but is getting pressure from above to close the area. He's blaming the lack of money and manpower on his inability to get that done, but if people take used appliances and other crap out there and leave a mess like Orosco Ridge, it's gone.

You have to keep an eye out for the BP guys, they have no range courtesy and will park downrange just to the side of where you are shooting. They will also come tearing *** up the trails if on the chase, I've nearly had an ATV hood ornament on my Jeep a couple times.

Revulshawn
12-17-2011, 8:01 AM
Jacumba is one of the last free shooting spots in SD county. Unfortunately, it gets pretty trashed just like the others. As stated above, pack out your trash and maybe some extra, and hopefull we'll all be able to keep blasting there for a while :)

Quser.619
12-17-2011, 8:51 AM
Wow, had no idea we could shoot out there. Thanks OP for asking & for everyone who answered!

tackdriver
12-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Guys, the Jacumba area (Carrizo Creek) has been closed to shooting for about 2 years now. Thanks to the BP building a road on the hill tnhat had been used as a backstop for over 50 years

swilson
12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I haven't been to Jacumba, I thought it was closed like Kitchen Creek. I usually go out to Imperial County, outside of Ocotillo, and take the Imperial Highway toward the bottom of the Anza Borrego state park but stop somewhere in between which is BLM land. There is a BP checkpoint at the edge of the state park but I never go past to go shooting. I never see Rangers in that area and the BP seem cool, probably because most other people causing trouble are out at Superstition and the few people outside Ocotillo are just camping, cruising around in Jeeps, and shooting thousands of yards off the highway.

southernsnowshoe
12-19-2011, 6:10 PM
South bay rod and gun club, or project 2000......might cost 10 or 20 bucks, but you will save more than that on gas. Years ago we would go to kitchen creek, carrizo, etc., but you know what? times have changed.....I don't feel comfortable with the younger crowd that you run into these days at the range. I think alot of them learned what they know about guns from video games.
It's kind of nice to have a rangemaster around, as long as he has common sense, which is increasingly uncommon. But as a whole, I think it is a better, safer experience at a well run outdoor range.
otherwise looks like you are headed out to the imperial valley..........good times......... take your coyote rifle

cfusionpm
12-19-2011, 8:33 PM
Also, South Bay has a yearly membership for only 75 bucks (unlimited use). They have target holders at 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards.