PDA

View Full Version : I am now a responsible gun owner :)

Retzius
12-03-2011, 9:02 AM
I have little ones in the house now so I finally became a responsible gun owner...

I got the Stack-On 8 gun cabinet from Gander Mountain on Black Friday for $95 shipped. It's not the assemble yourself model but the fully assembled and welded version. For the price I am impressed; triple point lock, welded, nice gloss finish, stand offs for 8 guns, well packed.

I positioned it on the side of a closet and fixed it to the wall to the wall studs. It's not the "best" but will keep my kids away and deter most people.

I also have trigger locks on all the guns individually and ammo separate. I have to say the piece of mind it has given me was well worth the cost.

If you are like I was and need to get "responsible" take the leap - its WELL worth it.

Moving Chicane
12-03-2011, 9:12 AM
I positioned it on the side of a closet and fixed it to the wall to the wall studs.

Nice! :) Did you drill through the steel to mount this to the wall, or do something else? I'm struggling with a plan myself (different locker, but same "position").

coyotebait
12-03-2011, 9:16 AM
Nice! :) Did you drill through the steel to mount this to the wall, or do something else? I'm struggling with a plan myself (different locker, but same "position").

If it's a locker and doesn't already have hole to secure to the wall, then absolutely drill through it and secure to the wall. Make sure you hit studs.

Retzius
12-03-2011, 9:18 AM
I drilled straight through the back of the cabinet. I used a power drill to create some pilot holes and then went straight through with screws into the studs.

I'm sure a determined thief could somehow move it but you would need some heavy tools and time to do it.

I have an ADT system on the house with motion sensors so in a quick snatch and grab scenario that gun cabinet would be going nowhere.

hyperion.excal
12-03-2011, 9:22 AM
show pics

Retzius
12-03-2011, 9:25 AM
On the road now (wife is driving :) ) but I'll snap some when I get back.

Hakoomay
12-03-2011, 9:30 AM
On the road now (wife is driving :) ) but I'll snap some when I get back.

well thats good to know bc :useless:

lol

voiceofreason
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Personal Opinion...

I keep every firearm in any safe loaded. Usable quickly in an emergency, AND there is NEVER any question about whether they are loaded or not.

The default setting for all my guns is locked in a container loaded.

I don't care about ammo. It's sitting openly on metal shelving by caliber and purpose.

Guns are always locked in a safe or cabinet, carried, or locked in a container for transport.

Ding126
12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
good job...It's for the kids! and peace of mind

bsg
12-03-2011, 5:14 PM
congratulations.

rpm2day
12-03-2011, 6:01 PM
Smart move, peace of mind with kids around and storage for other valubles if necessary. Best investment I made for sure.

Steve1968LS2
12-03-2011, 8:37 PM
Good move.. just make sure it's bolted down.