PDA

View Full Version : AK Build problems:

infernl
11-27-2011, 5:21 PM
This past summer I bought a 1979 Romanian G kit, which I added a Timbersmith wood kit to. I painstakingly refinished the Timbersmith stock long before I built the receiver at an AK Team build party. Yesterday, I finally got a chance to take the rifle out and put rounds through it which uncovered problems.

Problem #1: The screws holding the stock to the rear trunnion keep backing out. Didn't matter how tight I screwed them down. Would thread locker help here, or am I just asking for more problems?

Problem #2: Every few rounds, I have a failure to fire. The primer shows a strike, and if I hand- feed that same round it will fire every time. What gives here?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

infernl
11-27-2011, 5:24 PM
Also, for some reason, this rifle is about as accurate as minute of barn door... What to do make this thing better than a spray and pray rifle?

SamsDX
11-27-2011, 5:51 PM
Before or after you built the rifle, did you get a chance to clean the firing pin and the firing pin channel in the bolt? There could be some cosmoline or other gunk that's holding it up. Beyond that, I would check to make sure that your FCG components are installed properly.

As far as accuracy goes, what kind of groups are you getting? Pictures would help. For the most part, though, once the barrel is installed and the headspace set, there's not a whole lot you can do to improve accuracy.

nicoroshi
11-27-2011, 5:55 PM
As for the stock screws try glue. Sounds like the wood is stripped from over tightening the screws.

As for the FTF issue I need more information.
Picture of unfired round primer strike please.
Did you actually pull the trigger, and got a click or is the rifle cycling, and trigger slack?
What kind of ammo?
Need to also see bolt, and firing pin (back, and front of firing pin).

Accuracy issue:
Picture of crown on muzzle. Pitted or chipped chrome on crown?
Are you used to shooting AK style sights?

An AK with iron sights at 50 yards, and imported Russian 'animal ammo' should shoot like this>>>
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2006/img0524cc.jpg

tujungatoes
11-27-2011, 6:16 PM
This past summer I bought a 1979 Romanian G kit, which I added a Timbersmith wood kit to. I painstakingly refinished the Timbersmith stock long before I built the receiver at an AK Team build party. Yesterday, I finally got a chance to take the rifle out and put rounds through it which uncovered problems.

Problem #1: The screws holding the stock to the rear trunnion keep backing out. Didn't matter how tight I screwed them down. Would thread locker help here, or am I just asking for more problems?

Problem #2: Every few rounds, I have a failure to fire. The primer shows a strike, and if I hand- feed that same round it will fire every time. What gives here?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

1. A good way to fix stripped/oversized screw holes is to drill them out and glue in a hardwood dowel. Then re-drill them to the correct size.

2. Definitely need more details on the FTF....FCG properly installed, and function checked? Hammer follow? bolt and firing pin de-gunked? Ammo?

...as far as accuracy. Different people have different ideas as far as what constitutes accurate. What did your targets look like?

FastFinger
11-27-2011, 6:23 PM
Another quick fix for the screws... Squirt a bit of carpenter's glue into the stock holes, and then jam some wood toothpicks into the holes, cutting or sanding them off at grade. Allow to dry and the try again with the wood screws.

infernl
11-27-2011, 7:27 PM
The screw holes in the stock weren't stripped and weren't drilled too large. I realized while shooting, that I had not tightened them down all the way, and thats why my stock was never aligned properly with the receiver. Tightening them didn't do anything to keep them tight. I think I'll try the glue trick to seed if it helps.

As far as the light primer strikes, I didn't save any of the bullets with light strikes. I fed them one at a time back in, and they fired every time. The strike was about half as deep as a typical round that had fired on first try. I'll boil the bolt trio see if I can get any more cosmoline out of it. The kit was super clean when I got it.

Accuracy... I'll admit that I have no experience shooting AK open sights. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. I'd love some
Advice on the finer points. I couldn't hit anything I aimed at, and was only shooting at things, not standard target rings.

infernl
11-27-2011, 7:50 PM
Ammo:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/SCINFERNL/Weapons/2011-11-27_20-37-32_612.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/SCINFERNL/Weapons/2011-11-27_20-37-17_123.jpg

Added another photo

mrlonewolf
11-27-2011, 7:55 PM
Ammo:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/SCINFERNL/Weapons/2011-11-27_20-37-32_612.jpg

Good stuff....

mrlonewolf
11-27-2011, 7:59 PM
The screw holes in the stock weren't stripped and weren't drilled too large. I realized while shooting, that I had not tightened them down all the way, and thats why my stock was never aligned properly with the receiver. Tightening them didn't do anything to keep them tight. I think I'll try the glue trick to seed if it helps.

As far as the light primer strikes, I didn't save any of the bullets with light strikes. I fed them one at a time back in, and they fired every time. The strike was about half as deep as a typical round that had fired on first try. I'll boil the bolt trio see if I can get any more cosmoline out of it. The kit was super clean when I got it.

Accuracy... I'll admit that I have no experience shooting AK open sights. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. I'd love some
Advice on the finer points. I couldn't hit anything I aimed at, and was only shooting at things, not standard target rings.

The AK Team is on duty 24/7.

I would love to inspect your build.

Please feel free to PM me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

NorCalK9.com
11-27-2011, 8:01 PM
Did you ever zero your sights? Do you have a sight adjustment tool?

nicoroshi
11-27-2011, 8:37 PM
The AK Team is on duty 24/7.

I would love to inspect your build.

Please feel free to PM me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

You are the man 'X'!!! :King:

ElvenSoul
11-27-2011, 8:39 PM
Mojo Sights work wonders!

HotRails
11-27-2011, 9:35 PM
When you dissassamble that bolt, also check to make sure there isn't a whole lot of material behind the extractor. One kit I had required that I pry out the extractor with a flathead screwdriver so naturally it was completely immobile.

All great Ak gurus you got on here!

wash
11-28-2011, 6:03 AM
It's inaccurate but you haven't mentioned what kind of barrel you have...

Gowking
11-28-2011, 7:36 AM

My thoughts exactly. That along with a report on function check is crucial info.

-MRA

infernl
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Its an original 1979 Romanian G kit, mentioned in the first post.
The kit came with the original Romy G chrome-lined barrel circa 1979.

wash
11-28-2011, 12:42 PM
With all of the cut barrel kits out there, that is not obvious.

Have you checked the headspace?

What does the crown look like?

If it's not a matched kit, your headspace might not be right if you haven't checked.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Romania screwed up the twist on some barrels but I have not heard of that. You could use a patch on a cleaning rod to measure your twist rate but it might be easier to just look down the bore, each groove should go around the bore about 1.5 times from the muzzle to the breach.

Check for any of your sights being loose, dragging on your bolt carrier/gas piston or maybe your trigger is so bad that you're jerking the rifle on each shot.

Once you start eliminating things, the true cause will become apparent even if it's just a crummy barrel.

chibitodd
12-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Check head spacing. Akbuilder.com. wood glue and fine saw dust. Tooth pic trickis great but the screwhead may not sit flat

Rizzle
12-05-2011, 7:37 AM
Problem #1 can be fixed with some wood dowel and wood screws. Glue wood dowels into the holes and then redrill the holes in the stock.

Problem #2 sounds like either something is in your bolt causing your firing pin not to work or your headspacing is not set correctly.