PDA

View Full Version : Browning Field (BPS) vs. Ithaca M37 FL - Input Please!

P Funk
11-12-2011, 3:53 PM
I have been looking for a pump field gun for a little bit and have found 2 in my area which have made the short list.

1. Browning Field (BPS) 12 gauge, 28", fixed full - serial number puts production around 1980. The gun is listed at 98%. I have held and worked the action, it looks like it is in great shape. I do NOT have the option of shooting before buying. Out the door for $340.

2. Ithaca M37 Featherlight 12 gauge, 28", fixed full - serial number puts manufactur date in the mid 1950s. Gun is around 90% (my guess) - wood on stock, foreend in good shape, looks like normal degradation of bluing on receiver+barrel. I have held and worked the action - feels great. Price = $400 + tax + dros ~$460. I would have the opportunity to shoot this prior to purchase.

My understanding is that the both guns are based on Browing's prototype Remington so I think they are functionally identical. They are both in really good shape for their respective ages. I will shoot the Ithaca in the next few days.

I'm looking to see if anyone has any knowledge of the quality (craftsmanship, qc) of the 2 manufacturers during period of production - Browning circa 1980, Ithaca circa mid-1950s. Or if there is anything else that I should be looking out for.

I'm hoping that there might be some info to help me make my decision.:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance CGers! :)

RonE
11-12-2011, 6:46 PM
They are both well made shotguns, good but not great. The Mod 37 has been around forever and is a classic. The BPS since the 1980's is nice in that it has a 3" chamber and is probably more suitable for waterfoul than a 2 3/4" chambered gun.

Most 1950's Mod 37's didn't have a ventelated rib which is great for sighting and makes sighting easier. I believe that all BPS shotguns came with a ventlated rib and a mid bead (I might be wrong about the mid bead).

I personally would choose the Browning BPS. One thing to look out for on the BPS is a cracked stock in the pistol grip area...but that might have just been mine and not a problem otherwise.

Have fun whatever you choose.

P Funk
11-12-2011, 7:59 PM
Thanks RonE
thats 1 for the BPS

Excellent points about the rib and chambering which I completely forgot to mention :facepalm:

Both guns have the ventilated rib and front bead (no mid).

As you mentioned, the model 37 is chambered for 2 3/4" and the browning is up to 3".

The stock looked solid on the BPS but I will take a closer look at it - thanks for the heads up.

goldduster
11-13-2011, 3:24 PM
+1 for the Browning, but only because they seem to fit me well and have a magical name for me. Not due to knowing anything about the Ithaca, because I don't.

dkchappell
11-13-2011, 3:37 PM
The M37 is my all around favorite shotgun.

sounish
11-14-2011, 6:40 AM
I have both of these Shotguns. Both are up for sale.

My BPS is NIB condition, have the box, never been fired. If interested will give you more details

The Ithica is a 1972 yr prod. This model has the mid bead as well
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=443676&highlight=bps

mjsweims
11-17-2011, 8:15 PM
BPS is an excellent shotgun - used to have one.
From the year of the model 37 make sure it can be used with steel shot. Mid 50s were a transition in the barrel steel. This one maybe can only be used with softer (lead) shot. It should say steel on the barrel if it can use steel shot.

öüä
11-18-2011, 7:11 AM
BPS

P Funk
11-18-2011, 10:50 AM
BPS is an excellent shotgun - used to have one.
From the year of the model 37 make sure it can be used with steel shot. Mid 50s were a transition in the barrel steel. This one maybe can only be used with softer (lead) shot. It should say steel on the barrel if it can use steel shot.

Great info! :thumbsup: