PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy more than one handgun at one time?

john36
10-24-2011, 7:15 PM
I am looking to buy a handgun but I want to buy two. Can i buy them at the same time in California?

Thank you for the help!

BrokerB
10-24-2011, 7:26 PM
if its from a gun store meaning owned by a guns store no- you must wait 30 days

if its a gun in a store that tehy are selling for a private party yes

You can buy 100 guns brand new from a a store- but you must wait 30 days for each one- the store will hold them for you

I think that is correct- only Private Party transfers are unrestricted...

I think

PRCABR4Christ
10-24-2011, 7:31 PM
if one is used and one is new I believe you can IIRC, it's been a while since I've bought more than 1 at a time...check your LGS, they should be able to tell you...I know for a fact you can't buy 2 new handguns in a 30 day period

den888
10-24-2011, 7:33 PM
Yes, only PPT's are unrestricted.

Sam
10-24-2011, 7:36 PM
if one is used and one is new I believe you can IIRC, it's been a while since I've bought more than 1 at a time...check your LGS, they should be able to tell you...I know for a fact you can't buy 2 new handguns in a 30 day period

The gun store really isn't a good place to ask about gun laws.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Limits_on_handgun_purchases

OC-Indian
10-24-2011, 7:39 PM
So if you buy one new, can you then buy another from a private party before the 30 days is up?

biker777
10-24-2011, 7:39 PM
You may only purchase 1 new handgun every 30 days..

You may buy as many used handguns as you like ( private party transfers) there are no limits.

biker777
10-24-2011, 7:41 PM
So if you buy one new - Can you buy another from a private party before the 30 days is up?

Yes, 1,2,3,4,5 whatever you can afford ,,as well as the 1 new one..

PRCABR4Christ
10-24-2011, 7:42 PM

depends on the store...

morrcarr67
10-24-2011, 7:53 PM
You can only buy (DROS) 1 from dealer inventory regardless of whether it new or used.

You can buy (DROS) as many as you can afford from a private party.

Sam
10-24-2011, 7:53 PM
depends on the store...

Very true. Generally, it is not a good place to ask about laws.

Anchors
10-24-2011, 8:06 PM
You can also get a C&R FFL 03 from the ATF for $30 (good for three years).
Then get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from CA DOJ for about $100.

Then you are exempt from 1 in 30 days, HSC card/test, and safe handling demonstration (among other things).
The C&R FFL 03 is also good as second proof of residency for your handgun purchases.

:)

fiddletown
10-24-2011, 8:29 PM
I have bought multiple handguns from a dealer's inventory at one time. However, I would DROS them one at a time with 30 days between each DROS, and pick them up one at a time, after the 10 day wait, with 30 days between each pickup.

greybeard
10-24-2011, 8:36 PM
I have bought multiple handguns from a dealer's inventory at one time. However, I would DROS them one at a time with 30 days between each DROS, and pick them up one at a time, after the 10 day wait, with 30 days between each pickup.
This you can purchase as many new ones as your want. You can only register one new one every 30 days.

PRCABR4Christ
10-24-2011, 8:42 PM
Very true. Generally, it is not a good place to ask about laws.

I would agree in your case, I just left Bakersfield a few months ago, glad to be outta there lol

Sicilian
10-24-2011, 10:18 PM
I usually buy several long guns together. This way Kalifornia gets less of my money. It always irritates me when I have to do separate paperwork and pay separate fees for a handgun! :mad:

osxgp
10-24-2011, 10:28 PM
You can but your dealer would need to fill out a specific form that needs to be sent to the ATF so they can assume your some kind of potential criminal, cult, or militia. Its insane I know. Your dealer would be the best person to answer this type of question though.

osxgp
10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I usually buy several long guns together. This way Kalifornia gets less of my money. It always irritates me when I have to do separate paperwork and pay separate fees for a handgun! :mad:

Amen to that

rorschach
10-24-2011, 10:44 PM
I recently bought 2 pistols at the same time, a Glock 22 and a M9 commercial. I DROS'd the G22 first, now I have to wait a few more days before I can start DROS on the Beretta.

BrokerB
10-25-2011, 5:50 AM
Not all used guns are equal. If a gun store has bought the used gun- its 30 day seperate. If they are just selling it for a private party(consignment) no 30 day .
Thats is what i just went through at river city gun exchsnge

kamagong
10-25-2011, 6:31 AM

^ This. My friend who's a FFL told me that he had a customer who had six month's worth of guns stored in his safe. The customer comes in every 30 days like clockwork to DROS a gun.

You can buy as many guns as you want. However, you can only DROS and take possession of a new handgun once every 30 days.

Librarian
10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
People have got to get the 'new' and 'used' words out of the legal discussion.

If Sam Seller bought 6 1911 pistols at some time, never fired them, and then chose to sell one PPT, that would be a NEW gun.

Whether the 30-day rule applies is conditional on WHO is selling. If it's the FFL, out of his inventory, 1 in 30 days; if it's a private individual, selling through an FFL, then it's as many guns as the buyer can afford.

(It is also conditional on WHERE in one case - LA city has its own, entirely legal, 1-in-30 rule that DOES apply to PPT.)

CK_32
10-25-2011, 11:44 AM
PPT = Yes.

New from shop = No.

kemasa
10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
A consignment firearm is considered in the FFL's inventory, but it can be transferred either as a dealer sale OR a private party transfer. It has to be done as a private party transfer if the handgun is not on the certified list. How it is submitted determines if the 1 in 30 applies or not.

As said, new or used does not make any difference.

Also, if you want to buy more, then just go and get a C&R FFL and CA DOJ COE. Then you will be exempt from the 1 in 30. Also, make sure that if you do more than 1 handgun at a time that you get your discount of $4 for the DROS, it is only $21 for the second handgun (actually $15 + $5 + $1 as compared to $19 + $5 + $1). Some FFLs don't correctly charge for the second DROS, which is illegal.

Also, as I recall, the HSC is only exempt for C&R firearms, not for any handgun.

intradubio
10-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I tried to beat the 30 days but nope.
coe - 3 weeks
crffl - 56 days :(

probably couldn't find a dealer who is willing to do the exemption anyway...

morrcarr67
10-26-2011, 6:16 AM
I tried to beat the 30 days but nope.
coe - 3 weeks
crffl - 56 days :(

probably couldn't find a dealer who is willing to do the exemption anyway...

There are dealers that understand this exemption. You just need to talk to your LGS and make sure they do.

kemasa
10-26-2011, 9:01 AM
While it can take some time to get the C&R FFL and the COE at the start, then you have it. You can also have C&R long guns delivered direct to your door, saving a lot of money and no waiting for C&R handguns as well.

Dealers should understand the exemption, it needs to be selected as the 1 in 30 exemption, not a C&R collector.

applevalleyjoe
10-26-2011, 2:05 PM

Ditto that!

asm777
11-21-2011, 7:47 PM
Does a handgun purchase from an out of state private party through an interstate FFL transfer count against my 1-in-30? This 1-in-30 law makes waiting so frustrating!

keenkeen
11-21-2011, 7:54 PM
Does a handgun purchase from an out of state private party through an interstate FFL transfer count against my 1-in-30? This 1-in-30 law makes waiting so frustrating!

Yes

scarville
11-21-2011, 8:05 PM
I've done the same thing. The dealer just holds the gun in his safe until I can do the DROS.

dfletcher
11-21-2011, 8:42 PM
While it can take some time to get the C&R FFL and the COE at the start, then you have it. You can also have C&R long guns delivered direct to your door, saving a lot of money and no waiting for C&R handguns as well.

Dealers should understand the exemption, it needs to be selected as the 1 in 30 exemption, not a C&R collector.

I think it's worth it. I bought a PPSh pistol at River City Friday, got home and the Rossi Ranch Hand pistol had just showed at up at the San Jose Gun Exchange so I DROS'd that the same day. If I had to wait an additional 30 days to do the 2nd gun -well, I don't like waiting and it would probably result in an extra round trip fro SF to SJ.

Regarding the whole "new" or "used" definition, I agree that should be set aside. Gun stores often buy handguns out of state, they could be C & R or could be SA revolvers and those handguns although certainly used would require a 30 day wait when coupled with a new from dealer stock pistol.

kemasa
11-22-2011, 7:59 AM
New or used makes no difference, what makes a difference is dealer sale or PPT. A consignment can be done as a dealer sale OR a PPT if the firearm is on the roster, otherwise consignment handguns have to be done as a PPT.