PDA

View Full Version : carry ammo bought in bulk

high_revs
02-12-2007, 6:34 PM
Does everyone else just use those military ammo boxes to carry ammo bought in bulk? I didn't realize that the ammo I bought wasn't in boxes for 25 or 50. Else, tupperware?

For the .223 ammo, i saw something on either midway or somewhere else to carry .223 ammo and protect the tips. Now are rifle tips more sensitive than 9mm or .45 ammo that they can't be carried clashing around or something?

else, tupperware? seriously... i have no idea other than zip lock bags.

yeah.. yeah... i know... newb here. i've always had boxes from walmart. :p

m1371
02-12-2007, 7:38 PM
Does everyone else just use those military ammo boxes to carry ammo bought in bulk? I didn't realize that the ammo I bought wasn't in boxes for 25 or 50. Else, tupperware?

For the .223 ammo, i saw something on either midway or somewhere else to carry .223 ammo and protect the tips. Now are rifle tips more sensitive than 9mm or .45 ammo that they can't be carried clashing around or something?

I generally don't buy ammo that's loose in bulk, but I have a pal who reloads and he uses these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=225879

MidwayUSA also has them for .308 and most of the handgun calibers, depending on what you need.

There's also the option of the plastic boxes, but IMO they're a little on the expensive side to be buying a bunch of them. That's just me being cheap.

gn3hz3ku1*
02-13-2007, 2:07 PM
go to a range.. plenty of these left over in the trash

Rob454
02-13-2007, 4:07 PM
I jsut use old mayonayse jars for storage. When I want to go shooting I jsut pick up a mayo jar. The plastic ones. They also come in different sizes and shapes also.
Rob

xrMike
02-13-2007, 4:37 PM
100 rounds of .45 ACP fits just right in a standard zip-lock sandwich bag. Plus I can re-use the empty bags to bring home the brass.

I'll be buying some of those blue plastic boxes soon though.

megavolt121
02-13-2007, 4:53 PM

Miwall once reloaded ammo comes in ammo cans. I store in those. When I go to the range, I have little ammo boxes that hold 50 rounds each. I don't ever feel like lugging 500 rounds w/ me each time.

dhl
02-13-2007, 6:04 PM
I use Tupperware for loose ammo. Often you can find good deals on Tupperware at Goodwill or Salvation Army type stores. Plastic bags are good too, just don't put anything anvil-like on top of the rounds.

Ken Cochrane
02-14-2007, 4:46 PM
One of the old timers and a definite firearms guru told me that in CA, large quantities loose ammo (over 500 rd) had to be stored in a metal can. Ammo cans are fine for this. Maby someone else knows the law better

Cbieling
02-15-2007, 7:54 AM
I know someone that uses one of those kitchen machines that suck all the air out and vacuum seal. Very nice as they keep mositure out too. You can seal 50-100 rounds per bag...

Just a thought,

GlockComa
02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I usually on hand have about 2000 rounds of loose ammo.
I store all my ammo in ammo cans and put a pack of dessicant in there.
I also lock it with a small lock and then it goes into my safe.

BillCA
02-15-2007, 6:20 PM
I know someone that uses one of those kitchen machines that suck all the air out and vacuum seal. Very nice as they keep mositure out too. You can seal 50-100 rounds per bag...

I've BTDT and will warn anyone thinking of doing it to be sure to fold a piece of cardboard over the tips of pointed bullets. The points can poke enough of a hole to negate the vacuum. The cardboard also allows you to label the contents (e.g. M183 62gr) and include the mfr date or date of packaging.

dwtt
02-16-2007, 8:03 AM
thanks. yeah... i was thinking about rummaging thru the trash at the range to get the boxes. LOL .
There's nothing wrong with that. I've done it many times.
I bought 500 rounds of .30-06 loose packed from J&G once and about 120 rounds were so beat up I didn't want to shoot it in my Garand. I don't like buying rifle ammo that's loose packed, but pistol ammo seems to be OK.

cyberhh
02-16-2007, 7:58 PM
I use these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423689

I can buy the locally for about the same price.