PDA

View Full Version : Help me Build a Glock 19!

smogcity
02-04-2007, 3:13 PM
I need some input from the more learned glock owners here! A bit of back ground: I’m a lefty buying my first pistol. I’ve shot my friend,s glock 40cal plenty and it suits me fine. I’m leaning towards the 9mm because I plan to shoot a good deal and want to keep the $ down….

Here’s where I need help:

I’m in Pasadena/Altadena, Should I buy from Gunrunners and have them add what I want or should I buy from Topglock and Dros from gunrunners?

I want to get this gun tricked out and finished from the beginning, and from looking on topglock there are a bunch of add-ons that look great..Which do I need?

I want night sights…Which ones should I get?
I think that the extended slide release lever would be helpful for a lefty…What do you think?
Stainless or tungsten recoil rods? Captive or non captive? New recoil spring? WTF!!! :confused:
Do I want/need any of this or is the g19 good to go without?
Any thing else I’m not thinking about?

Any suggestion/help would be appreciated greatly, I want to get this right the first time!:p

Smogcity

Teletiger7
02-04-2007, 3:25 PM
First of all, what will you use this gun for: defense, competition, range gun?The Glock was built and designed to function reliably as it is out of the box. If you want put night sights(meprolights are pretty good and bright, reliable and affordable) Mine work good. With a Glock for home defense I like to keep it as stock as possible while still meeting my needs. If you feel you need the extended slide rlease then get it. As far as guide rods I've seen rental glocks with the original Plastic guide rod still functioning after tens of thousands of rounds.
Many people who use Glocks for competition customize their Glock in many ways that increase their speed and efficiency(red dots, trigger jobs, mag wells, etc.) Glock is also a good platform for customizing. All depends on you.

smogcity
02-04-2007, 3:34 PM
[QUOTE=Teletiger7]First of all, what will you use this gun for: defense, competition, range gun?QUOTE]

Range gun and general SHTF gun! Also I want to take the ITTS pistol and Carbine/pistol combo classes at Angeles range.

Teletiger7
02-04-2007, 3:50 PM
if the sights bug you then get get night sights and if you need an extended release then get it, but a box-stock glock with no additional costs would work fine for what you just described. Whats more important than any added customizing will be trigger time, practicing emergency drillls, and developing your shooting skills. I would first suggest buying mags(at least five per gun) and ammo(alot of it).

stevie
02-04-2007, 4:34 PM
Night sights are fine, you will get opinions from many for which kind. I prefer Heinie Pro Slants.

Forget the extended slide release, sling shot the slide. The stock recoil springs work fine, you can always replace later.

Night sights are simple to put on yourself if you have some simple tools.

rkt88edmo
02-04-2007, 4:49 PM
The plastic sights are the only thing you "should" change on a glock. I run Heinie straight 8s on both of my glocks.

Add ons for the glock are simple if you want to change anything else down the road, I'd spend the money on ammo and those ITTS classes first :) or maybe a suitable holster which you will need for class.

It is a "slide stop lever", not a "slide release lever." If you ever need to get the slide forward you will be grabbing the slide, pulling it fully to the rear and releasing it, and not hunting for a lever with your thumb. Works great even if you are left handed ;)

Dont Tread on Me
02-04-2007, 5:10 PM
I want to second advice to leave your Glock alone except for a good set of sights. The only time I've seen Glocks go wrong at matches/ranges is with custom parts.

For sights I recommend Warren sights (http://www.warrentacticalseries.com/). They offer a fantastic sight picture. I find the front sight just to big on Meps and Trijicons.I also suggest getting them from MLE Shooting sports (http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/warren-tactical-sights.htm). The guy has amazing customer service.

I'd advise against the extended slide stop. Working a slide stop is a fine motor skill where racking the slide is a gross motor skill. My training has been to rack the slide.

02-04-2007, 6:32 PM
Stick with stock. If you want something that needs all kinds of crap on it to work right, get a 1911.

That should spark some powder. :D

Greg-Dawg
02-04-2007, 7:23 PM
+1 on taking some lessons, that's the best decision for a new firearms owner.
I'll answer your questions in bold.

I currently own a Glock 35 in OD green, with Trijicon night sights, 3.5lb. connector and an NY1 trigger spring. The best Glock in my book.

I want to get this gun tricked out and finished from the beginning, and from looking on topglock there are a bunch of add-ons that look great..Which do I need?
First of all, I'd learn to handle the gun before "pimping" it out. It takes time, patience and practice to handle a Glock or any other type of hand gun that you're not too familiar with.

I have Trijicons and I'm satisfied with them compared to the standard Glock sights. Great for home defense during low light confrontations. Works well when I'm at the range during day time. I had the option of requesting Trijicons from Glock Sport Shooting Foundation.
I think that the extended slide release lever would be helpful for a lefty…What do you think?
Very helpful for ease of locking the slide back. Since you're going to be a lefty, and it sits on the left side of the gun; I personally wouldn't recommend it. The standard slide lock lever does its job by aerodynamics and for holster purposes.
Stainless or tungsten recoil rods? Captive or non captive? New recoil spring? WTF!!! :confused:
Stick with the factory recoil spring assembly.
It's a Glock, it good with or without the goodies. You being a beginner, I'd just stick without all the toys.
Ask away.

Steve-O
02-04-2007, 8:27 PM
+1 to most of what people have posted. If you don't like the sights, change 'em, other than that stock rocks.

Shenaniguns
02-04-2007, 9:25 PM
Between the WTS with tritium fronts on my 19 and the Sevigny carry sights with the tritium fronts on my 34, I prefer the Sevigny's.

I want to second advice to leave your Glock alone except for a good set of sights. The only time I've seen Glocks go wrong at matches/ranges is with custom parts.

For sights I recommend Warren sights (http://www.warrentacticalseries.com/). They offer a fantastic sight picture. I find the front sight just to big on Meps and Trijicons.

I also suggest getting them from MLE Shooting sports (http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/warren-tactical-sights.htm). The guy has amazing customer service.

megavolt121
02-04-2007, 9:28 PM
Get the extended take down lever. It makes field stripping a lot easier.

m1371
02-05-2007, 4:50 AM
I need some input from the more learned glock owners here! A bit of back ground: I’m a lefty buying my first pistol. I’ve shot my friend,s glock 40cal plenty and it suits me fine. I’m leaning towards the 9mm because I plan to shoot a good deal and want to keep the $ down….

Here’s where I need help:

I’m in Pasadena/Altadena, Should I buy from Gunrunners and have them add what I want or should I buy from Topglock and Dros from gunrunners?

Any suggestion/help would be appreciated greatly, I want to get this right the first time!:p

Smogcity

Besides adding a GOOD set of tritium sights to it, there is nothing you "need" to do to a Glock to increase reliability.

Best advice is to keep it stock and then figure out what you "want", not "need".

BTW, being a lefty you don't "need" the extended slide release lever. It's nice buy not necessary. You'll figure that out if you go through an ITTS course.

aca72
02-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I'll say it too. Stock still rocks!

Other perspective...

http://glockmeister.com/advisory.shtml

GLOCKMEISTER
Product and Service Advisory

In an effort to help our customers and others to make informed decisions, we have assembled some information about products and services. The following information has been supplied by customers and is information gathered from our experience in the Glock market place.

1. The parts that we at Glockmeister sell and recommend improve the functioning of the Glock pistol. We do not recommend any parts or modifications that would adversely affect the functioning of your weapon in any way. We do not sell or recommend parts that affect the internal funtioning of your weapon.

2. The Glock is near perfect for carry straight out of the box - beware of the parts peddler that wants to sell you aftermarket operation critical parts for your defensive weapon. Be particularly weary of those that push aftermarket barrels and firing system parts and try to tell you that it will improve the performance of your defensive weapon. Any aftermarket parts that you add to your defensive weapon's firing system can make your primary self defense weapon a very poor club.

3. Titanium parts are not durable enough for use in a defensive weapon. Experience has shown us and others that titanium parts seem to wear quite fast in most weapons, so don't bet your life on titanium parts for any of your defensive guns.

4. Please take our advice and do not purchase or use recoil buffer systems. The stock recoil spring performs perfectly - the gun does not maintain reliability if the recoil system is changed. Some of the most common problems that we see with these systems are a failure to feed or a failure to eject properly. In the most extreme cases, we have seen catastrophic failures related to recoil buffer systems.

5. No one makes a better connector for a Glock than Glock does. After market connectors can cause reliability problems - the most common problem we have seen is a failure of the trigger to reset. Please stick to the stock parts for your firing system.

6. There are some parts peddlers out there that offer aftermarket parts to replace stock parts that are integral to the safety systems in the Glock. Do not install any aftermarket parts into your Glock that involve the trigger safety, the firing pin safety or the dropped gun safety. We recommend that you do not install any of these parts in your defensive Glock, sport shooting Glock or your competition Glock. For any specific questions - contact Glock, Inc.

jif
02-05-2007, 1:24 PM
Only things I've done to my Glocks is replace the serrated-face trigger with a smooth-faced one (where needed) and add night sights.

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
02-05-2007, 3:26 PM
Another vote for "no modifications.":p My Glock 19 is completely stock except for after-market sights; I've used it in multiple handgun courses without any problems at all.

The sights I've got right now are Novak's, with a serrated front sight and tritium dot on the front sight only. I really like the Novak sight picture; the rear sight itself however, is not too good for one handed malfunction procedures where you need to run the slide by hooking the rear sight on your belt or holster. (I heard they have a new rear sight that addresses this issue). I think next time I would go with a plain black serrated front sight; I don't find night sights particularly useful, although others swear by them.

I've purchased before from Topglock without any hassles; if you can find a transfer dealer with low fees that's probably the most cost-effective way to go. There are mixed reviews on Topglock though.

Anyway, have fun training with your new Glock 19!

smogcity
02-05-2007, 9:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice! Stock G19w/ night sites bought today!

MISFIRE
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Race Cut Heinies, from customglockracing.com
tungsten guide rod " " " "
13lb ismi recoil spring " " " "
3.5 lb connector, polish or buy from CGR
I suggest you buy a stock extended mag release
I suggest you leave the slide release stock.
Bill