PDA

View Full Version : Cannot pursue my hobby!!!

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 9:59 PM
So I live at home and am ready to start building some AKs (LEGALLY) but my parents are very.... lets say unknowledgeable when it comes to firearms and laws pertaining to them. I cannot even purchase a replacement mag release for my arsenal sgl without my father telling me how it is illegal (the pistol grip has been removed) and they will kick me out if i continue to purchase "assault weapons". In the last couple days I have purchased some cleaning supplies and paints; and by the time I had gotten home I found the shipping packaging cut open with the invoice on top of the box. They are going through my mail attempting to catch me in the act and hugely invading my privacy!!! :mad: I don't want to go against what they said and start buying the tools and parts kits, but I will not be able to move out and get a place of my own for another 3 to 4 years and I fear by then the supply of parts kits will have dried up or have been outlawed. Does anybody here have the same problem or have any advice on the matter?

PRCABR4Christ
09-09-2011, 10:02 PM
just as an FYI, "legally" you can't just build parts guns (AR's/AK's) and sell them, that makes you a manufacturer, even though you're just an assembler

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes I am aware of that. I would only build them for my own use not for sale. Thanks though!

Cokebottle
09-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Their house, their rules.

And +1... you can build as many as you'd like as a hobby, but you can't build with the intent to sell without a license.

My suggestion, be happy with what you have and direct your money to getting your own place, then you can build as many as you'd like.

Parts kits are ALREADY extremely difficult to find with the original barrels because they have been banned from import for a couple of years.
It's been a couple of years since it's been economically sound to build an AK from a kit... with kits at $300+, it's cheaper just to buy a Saiga and convert it.

DannyInSoCal
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Obey or move out...

GlockBlocker
09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
1st post? I smell a troll. If not, your priorities are mixed up. Save the money you're dumping into this and move out.

2shotjoe
09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Report them for opening your mail, its illegal and 200-300 dollar fine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Montu
09-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Thats what happens....dont like ir move ...you can alwaya find a way to move

jmzhwells
09-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Send parts to friends house. Build during night when they are sleeping. Or educate em.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 10:15 PM
That is looking like the only thing I can do for the time being. Just save my money. Buying a kit without a barrel isn't THAT big of a problem for me although I would prefer my first build to be a romy original barrel from whatacountry. Everything after that can be U.S. made. As for the cash it takes to build an AK I just want to build to say I put it together with my own two hands. Whether or not it is cheaper to buy rather than build is not that big of an issue for me.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Send parts to friends house. Build during night when they are sleeping. Or educate em.

I am pretty sure they are searching my room and the garage every once in a while to make sure I am still in line. The only thing I have that they cant get into is the safe but I cant really put a shop press or welder in there. And all attempts at educating them have ended in them thinking my guns are illegal because 10 years ago they heard some news reporter say AK47s are 100% illegal. I guess I am just going to have to abide by their rules until I can get out.

Akers
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
+1 to the "their house their rules" but when you get older and get married and its your house, it will be someone elses rules and unless your super lucky, your going to be in the same boat, getting the same questions and pushback....only difference will be the one telling you no lets you sleep with her. And now....I am off to earn the new gun I want.

Cokebottle
09-09-2011, 10:29 PM
If you're old enough to be building your own AKs (I'm assuming you're 18), then you're old enough to where you should be on your own unless you're a full time college student.

pacifico23
09-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I love how naive people can be. I remember having a coupled friends who would complain about invasion of privacy etc. There house their rules. You don't pay the mortage or rent. You don't pay utilities. Hell I bet you don't pay for the food that's in the fridge, and your mom makes you a homemade dinner. You have NO IDEA how awesome that is. Take advantage of it, insead of buying AK kits. Save and move out. Then you can build all the AKs you want. Selling them... May be a diff issue.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 10:48 PM
If you're old enough to be building your own AKs (I'm assuming you're 18), then you're old enough to where you should be on your own unless you're a full time college student.

20 and on my second year of college trying my best and then some to get somewhere in life.

I love how naive people can be. I remember having a coupled friends who would complain about invasion of privacy etc. There house their rules. You don't pay the mortage or rent. You don't pay utilities. Hell I bet you don't pay for the food that's in the fridge, and your mom makes you a homemade dinner. You have NO IDEA how awesome that is. Take advantage of it, insead of buying AK kits. Save and move out. Then you can build all the AKs you want. Selling them... May be a diff issue.

You are very right. I don't pay rent/ utilities, the fridge is pretty much the family watering hole, and whenever my mother makes dinner I am welcomed to help myself. I appreciate everything I have more than most people know. I am just stressed out at the fact that something I am extremely interested in could be completely gone by the time I am able to do it.

Snoopy47
09-09-2011, 10:50 PM
They are just trying to avoid their son ending up on the news for mowing down an entire class room filled with kids.

Cuerno_de_Chivo
09-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Have a serious talk with them, are any of your other relatives pro gun? My parents were the exact same, when i came home with a Mosin Nagant the first time, they FREAKED out and started threatening to kick me out. Have a serious talk with them and it helps having pro gun relatives so you have support. Show them the laws, how if its done the right way everything is fine, and most importantly SHOW RESPONSIBILITY WITH FIRE ARMS. Don't take them out, don't fondle them, don't dry fire them, don't do ANYTHING with them until they cool down. Do it when they are gone. Lock them up if you have to. My parents were so anti gun but now they are slowly turning away from it. My dad is pro gun now, bought himself an AR and bought me a safe. My mom still disagrees with guns but is getting over it. If it doesn't work out, well its their house so their rules. If it really bothers then i'd suggest you move out.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 10:52 PM
They are just trying to avoid their son ending up on the news for mowing down an entire class room filled with kids.

I come off as somebody that would try to do something that horrible? :confused:

Merc1138
09-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Man up and move out if you don't like the rules your parents have for you living in their home. It's not a difficult concept.

edit: I saw your comment about needing 3-4 years... seriously? Get a job, and go pay rent somewhere. It doesn't take 3-4 years for that unless you're going to school full time, in which case be grateful your parents are still putting a roof over your head.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Have a serious talk with them, are any of your other relatives pro gun? My parents were the exact same, when i came home with a Mosin Nagant the first time, they FREAKED out and started threatening to kick me out. Have a serious talk with them and it helps having pro gun relatives so you have support. Show them the laws, how if its done the right way everything is fine, and most importantly SHOW RESPONSIBILITY WITH FIRE ARMS. Don't take them out, don't fondle them, don't dry fire them, don't do ANYTHING with them until they cool down. Do it when they are gone. Lock them up if you have to. My parents were so anti gun but now they are slowly turning away from it. My dad is pro gun now, bought himself an AR and bought me a safe. My mom still disagrees with guns but is getting over it. If it doesn't work out, well its their house so their rules. If it really bothers then i'd suggest you move out.

I have tried a couple times before but they don't want to hear anything of it. If I strictly only owned single shot shotguns and .22s they probably wouldn't mind so much. They didn't care that much at all when i brought home a .22. It was the AR and the AK that got them on my butt about it.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Man up and move out if you don't like the rules your parents have for you living in their home. It's not a difficult concept.

edit: I saw your comment about needing 3-4 years... seriously? Get a job, and go pay rent somewhere. It doesn't take 3-4 years for that unless you're going to school full time, in which case be grateful your parents are still putting a roof over your head.

Check out post #15

a1c
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
A guy who's got a few hundred dollars of disposable income to buy AK parts probably can afford to move out of his parents' house.

Yes, you might need to give up your hobby for a while. Guess what - it's called growing up.

elSquid
09-09-2011, 11:05 PM
And all attempts at educating them have ended in them thinking my guns are illegal because 10 years ago they heard some news reporter say AK47s are 100% illegal.

Show them the websites of CA based vendors like RifleGear or 10%.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

http://www.riflegear.com/c-81-rifles.aspx

If that doesn't work, offer to take Dad out to lunch one day and stop off at your local evil black gunstore on the way...

If that doesn't work, suck it up: their house, their rules.

Cheer up though, I have a couple of clean RomyG kits that I've had for years and still haven't gotten around to building them. Based on how they've appreciated thus far, in 3 or 4 years I'd probably be willing to trade them for a nice Browning B92 or repro Winchester 1886.... ;)

-- Michael

ColdDeadHands1
09-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Show them the flowchart! :)

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Show them the websites of CA based vendors like RifleGear or 10%.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

http://www.riflegear.com/c-81-rifles.aspx

If that doesn't work, offer to take Dad out to lunch one day and stop off at your local evil black gunstore on the way...

If that doesn't work, suck it up: their house, their rules.

Cheer up though, I have a couple of clean RomyG kits that I've had for years and still haven't gotten around to building them. Based on how they've appreciated thus far, in 3 or 4 years I'd probably be willing to trade them for a nice Browning B92 or repro Winchester 1886.... ;)

-- Michael

Thanks Mike!! Pretty much the least aggressive but most helpful post yet.

Merc1138
09-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Check out post #15

What about post #15? Like I said, if you're in college and your parents are putting a roof over your head be grateful for it.

IntoForever
09-09-2011, 11:12 PM
You should be focusing on your future and career. You'll have time in the future to buy too many guns. Enjoy what your parents are giving you now and respect their rules before they kick you out and you loose everything.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 11:14 PM
What about post #15? Like I said, if you're in college and your parents are putting a roof over your head be grateful for it.

Didn't I say I was grateful in the post or show my concern for the drying up of kits. I am in a dilemma, I do not want to disobey my parents but these kits will not be around for much longer. I am not going to go off and get one behind their back which creates the problem here.

ivanimal
09-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Buy complete rifles at gun stores locally and support their causes..........

Merc1138
09-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Didn't I say I was grateful in the post or show my concern for the drying up of kits. I am in a dilemma, I do not want to disobey my parents but these kits will not be around for much longer. I am not going to go off and get one behind their back which creates the problem here.

So then don't do it and buy guns when you move out and can actually afford it. I fail to see the conflict here other than your parents not agreeing with your hobby and you having no choice in the matter while living under their roof. If your parents don't like your hobby and you can't convince them to accept it, move out or find a different hobby in the meantime.

Muscles Glasses
09-09-2011, 11:19 PM
So then don't do it and buy guns when you move out and can actually afford it. I fail to see the conflict here other than your parents not agreeing with your hobby and you having no choice in the matter while living under their roof. If your parents don't like your hobby and you can't convince them to accept it, move out or find a different hobby in the meantime.

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the input.

Whatisthis?
09-09-2011, 11:49 PM

+ one flippin million

It's hard to understand now while you live there, but most people understand that either once they move out or when they have kids themselves. If you're living there past 18, it's their rules. I know plenty of people that have been in similar situations.

Ex) My gf's father's neighbor's son was 19 and got a job at Costco or something. He started getting a couple promotions and was making quite a bit of money working full time (he wasn't going to college). His father doesn't quite understand longer term consequences, and so when the son told the father that he wanted to get a $25,000+ car (don't remember what kind at all), the dad just sort of said if he can make the payments then it's fine. Well now the kid is going to struggle to move out when he wants to cus he has car payments up his a**. The dad should have just been like, "you can get the car, but you have to move out" or something along the lines. I mean the father didn't have the son pay rent or put money aside for savings. I know the father and he was trying his best, but looking back, having learned what I learned (I'm only 20, so I'm obviously still learning) there were obvious things I would have done differently. Hopefully the son will learn from any of these things causing consequences.

Just some thoughts of mine. I feel for parents it can be rather hard to know what lessons should be learned on their own and what lessons need to be more taught. I feel this one about "their house, their rules" is fairly clear. I know this example was on the more drastic side, but I know plenty of people that have been put in this situation for anything near $1000 objects. Hell, my dad would probably never have let me live in his house and own a firearm. That's just the way he is. He isn't anti-gun or anything, he just thinks that they are unnecessary as he lives in a what I feel was a really safe neighborhood with a police officer living 3 doors down (this officer was always watching the neighborhood too). Then add in the fact that they had a 4 year old living there 5 nights a week and it becomes more of a potential hazard. Even if I do show him I can be responsible, I would have to do that under the same roof as the 4 year old. There are ways around it, but it should be my responsibility and not my dads to check my gun(s). If he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't need to. His house, his rules.

EDIT: Screw good deals. Respect your parents.

psango
09-10-2011, 3:23 AM
It may take a little longer to finish college but get a part time job or even full time and and move out. Take 12 units a quarter rather than 15 or 18. It's makes you grow up faster.

I worked all through college and it gave me a jump on the job market. I had a part time job in my intended field before I even graduated. My agency sent me through the local police academy the year before I graduated college, I finished my last year, and had both my degree and my job. Living on my own was a fun and rewarding experience, I met many new people (girls), they prefer a guy that can take them to his own place.

I also gained the confidence and maturity needed for my work. You may find your new friends (girls) more interesting than building AR's or AKs. When you finish school you might even move to a free state where you can buy the stuff you want.

Or join the military they have all the weapons you could ever want.

NoHeavyHitter
09-10-2011, 3:49 AM
Your folks are doing this because they see the money that you are spending (on things they see no value in) and are hoping that you’ll take the hint and MOVE OUT.

They feel if you have the money to pursue this hobby then you have enough money to pay for the roof that over your head too. Since it is their house, well you know……

Shellshocker66
09-10-2011, 5:39 AM
OK so another spin. Just wait the 25 to 30 years it will be before your parents live with you because they are too elderly to be on their own. Now plan your revenge with what you won't allow them to bring home!

Actually I joke! My 88 year old mother lives with me and still tells me what to do, right down to the "isn't that gun illegal you need to get rid of it"! For a bb'd AR with 10 round mags.

CaliforniaLiberal
09-10-2011, 8:15 AM
OP, you should hire a lawyer and get a couple of lawsuits against your parents filed. Not only are they violating the sanctity of your personal mail they are depriving you of your 2nd Amendment Rights! That's just not fair!

They should be grateful for the privilege of providing you with food and shelter at no cost to you. It is your birthright. You're a full grown adult now and shouldn't have to abide by any parental restrictions any more.

With any luck you can get a judgement against them and take the house and put them on the street.

And you are correct, the supply of parts kits is dwindling away to nothing even as we speak. Everyone else is already well supplied for the coming years, why aren't you? Also, don't forget that the UN Small Arms Treaty will outlaw the importation of all firearms parts kits as well as assembled firearms. Boy, are you screwed.

Man, oh man, does your life suck or what?

pacifico23
09-10-2011, 8:24 AM
OP, you should hire a lawyer and get a couple of lawsuits against your parents filed. Not only are they violating the sanctity of your personal mail they are depriving you of your 2nd Amendment Rights! That's just not fair!

They should be grateful for the privilege of providing you with food and shelter at no cost to you. It is your birthright. You're a full grown adult now and shouldn't have to abide by any parental restrictions any more.

With any luck you can get a judgement against them and take the house and put them on the street.

And you are correct, the supply of parts kits is dwindling away to nothing even as we speak. Everyone else is already well supplied for the coming years, why aren't you? Also, don't forget that the UN Small Arms Treaty will outlaw the importation of all firearms parts kits as well as assembled firearms. Boy, are you screwed.

Yeah thats one smart move. Sue your freaking parents because you cant build AK's on their property. Im sure that will go over with the rest of the family real well. Also better be prepared to be completely independent, cause I have a feeling most parents would literally disown their kids after that. Its their house their rules, if my son couldnt respect that and sued me cause of it... Oh man. That would be treading on very dangerous water.

Op follow this advice if you want to be banished from your family, and probably written out of the will. .

Merc1138
09-10-2011, 8:29 AM
Yeah thats one smart move. Sue your freaking parents because you cant build AK's on their property. Im sure that will go over with the rest of the family real well. Also better be prepared to be completely independent, cause I have a feeling most parents would literally disown their kids after that. Its their house their rules, if my son couldnt respect that and sued me cause of it... Oh man. That would be treading on very dangerous water.

Op follow this advice if you want to be banished from your family, and probably written out of the will. .

Change the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

Fastattack
09-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Dude, as Agent J said to Newton in MiB II,
"...move your bum a**
out of your mom's house."

You aren't gonna change your folks opinion.

IntoForever
09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Another option, get a mail box at one of the corner mail stores, have all your mail sent there now. Get a small storage locker and keep everything your parents don't need to see in storage.

bob_e95482
09-10-2011, 10:57 AM
My father disaproves of me riding motorcycles and owning guns. We don't talk anymore.

DiscoBayJoe
09-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Post of the Week!

USMC 82-86
09-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I loved golf in HS and when I went into the military and for many years after that I was unable to play because I could not afford the sport I loved. It takes time to build a life and after that foundation is established you will have the resources to enjoy your hobbie. If you try it the other way around you may suffer many days of not having basic needs met. Good luck in finding a solution to your problem. There were a lot of days in my learning curve of life that I would have given anything to be in your position. You are a lucky individual so enjoy it while you can.

bruss01
09-10-2011, 1:13 PM
You tried education, and negotiation... so you get points for being reasonable up front.

Now, look down between your legs. No doubt you will find something there that will enable you to stride out into the world and make your own home and your own way. Yes, school may take you a bit longer to complete while working enough hours at menial labor to put a roof over your head, but that is the price of independence. I applaud your interest in guns, but here's a fact of life you should squarely face in the interest of being totally honest with yourself. If you can't afford a roof over your head, can you afford guns and ammo? What you're basically doing is taking money you would otherwise spend on rent, electricity and other utilities, and spending it on guns. So your folks basically are subsidizing your "hobby". I suppose you have not looked at it that way before, but you should. And if you do not have time for a part time or even a full time job while you further your education, then do you really have time to fiddle with guns and go to the range? Again, in terms of time instead of money, your parents are being asked to subsidize your hobby by allowing you to live in their home.

I understand, it's a tough world out there and it's tough working and going to school. I can say that because I've done it and I know it's damn hard sometimes. For what it's worth, I am siding with you in your argument, but in the final analysis you have to fight according to the rules of the dojo you happen to be in, and in this case the odds are all against you.

Declare your independence, find your own means of support, move your possessions to a place where you call the shots. Yes it's tough but it is the most liberating thing in the world. Good luck!

On the other hand... if you want someone to put a roof over your head and food in your gullet while furthering your interest in firearms who will also give you money and help you further your education... my guess would be you could find someone to oblige. If you can't, ask the nearest army or marine recruiter, maybe he will have some suggestions.

Scout2Diesel
09-10-2011, 1:18 PM
Invest in inflation...somewhere else. But the key is to invest regularly. There will always be a new hobby to get into if you have funds. I would be more concerened in a top quality pistol(s) when your 21.

bruss01
09-10-2011, 1:22 PM
My father disaproves of me riding motorcycles and owning guns. We don't talk anymore.

I've had similar situations, and so has my wife. If someone wants to have a relationship with you, it should be based on mutual feelings. If those "mutual feelings" consist primarily of thinking they can tell you what to do, how to do it, and how you should be living your life... Let them have that relationship with a mirror.

Being a parent doesn't mean you own someone for life. Once you can fend for yourself, you have the option to continue the relationship or not. That parent has had 18 years to build a relationship that can stand on it's own, and if there isn't one by that time then who's to blame?

That said, it is an ungrateful child who doesn't make an honest attempt to have that relationship. A few small sacrifices are worth making to have that relationship which may actually improve with the passing years. But there is uncomfortable, and then there is intolerable, and a person should never have to endure the latter.

Muscles Glasses
09-10-2011, 3:05 PM
Another option, get a mail box at one of the corner mail stores, have all your mail sent there now. Get a small storage locker and keep everything your parents don't need to see in storage.
Not a bad idea. It would not be in their house...

Ya I imagine the consequences would be just that, disownment and the loss of a roof over my head. Thanks for the input ca.liberal but those are dangerous waters indeed. I think the plan from here on out is to try and have a friend purchase the kit and see if they can keep it in an addict or box in their garage for a few years. Again I do not want to cross my parents and appreciate everything they have provided for me. I will just live by the law of the land until I am out of school, employed, and out on my own.

new1911
09-10-2011, 3:07 PM
you can always request the shipper hold your package for pick up at their facility.

dwtt
09-10-2011, 7:40 PM
20 and on my second year of college trying my best and then some to get somewhere in life.

You are very right. I don't pay rent/ utilities, the fridge is pretty much the family watering hole, and whenever my mother makes dinner I am welcomed to help myself. I appreciate everything I have more than most people know. I am just stressed out at the fact that something I am extremely interested in could be completely gone by the time I am able to do it.

I was in the same situation as you when I was in college, except I didn't have the money for college so I worked to pay for school, never mind buying guns. Here's my advice. Postpone buying gun kits. You worry about buying parts now because you are afraid prices will go up in the future. Instead, concentrate on college and get straight A's. After graduation, you'll get a well paying job and will be able to buy a house before you're 30, buy all the guns you want, and the "expensive" gun parts kits will seem like spare change when you have a 6-figure salary. You can even go so far as to buy a Land Rover and date 20 year old girls you meet at clubs who act like porno stars. Maybe not on the last part.

prob
09-10-2011, 9:06 PM
I am just stressed out at the fact that something I am extremely interested in could be completely gone by the time I am able to do it.

You've got a lot of growing up to do if you're stressed out about not being able to buy toys.

saki302
09-10-2011, 11:36 PM
If you do well in school and life, those expensive toys now will be cheap trinkets later, to be bought on a whim.

But- if God forbid another ban rolls around, DO buy whatever you really want and store it somewhere. I wouldn't sell my registered AWs for 5X their market value.

-Dave

peter95
09-11-2011, 1:31 AM
Sorry to say this but your parents does have a say right now in what you can and not do.
Im sure you read everyone saying "Their house, their rules", but that is what it is.

Everyone has been through this sometime or another while living with their parents. May not be firearms but other things. If parents do not like you doing something at home, you gotta obey.

A few years later, you will be able to afford your own place and after you get all your priorities straight, then you can start working on your hobbies.

This is the only thing since you mentioned that your tried talking to them and they were "No".

Save your money meanwhile and once you can play with firearms, buy something nice for yourself. Do tons of research and wallah, 5 years will zoom by like nothing.

peter95
09-11-2011, 1:34 AM
by the way.... do not try doing this behind their back. Once they find out, (They always do) you may be on your way alone. Then you'll have to sell your toys to afford a living by yourself and you might find yourself back at home with no toys. Just my .02

FNH5-7
09-11-2011, 1:46 AM
Have you made the attempt of educating them on the subject?

peter95
09-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Have you made the attempt of educating them on the subject?

from his previous posts, looks like they wont listen to anything pertaining to firearms...

toby
09-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Let me guess? your about 18-20 yrs old right!

biker777
09-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Pretty sure this was meant as a joke, but most liberals are teaching this is the way to do it..they say the kids have rights and need to sue to get them.:41:

biker777
09-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Your parents have the right to make you follow their rules as long as you live in their house..

If you were my kid I would reuqire that when you build yourself a rifle, then you must also build me one too!

my house my rules.

Trigger42
09-11-2011, 2:02 PM
Better cool it or daddy's gonna take your bedroom door.

HighLander51
09-11-2011, 3:43 PM
Your parents have the right to tell you no guns in their house, it's just that simple. The person who gets shot is not going to sue you, they will sue your parents, and win, and take everything.

FS00008
09-11-2011, 4:13 PM
So I live at home and am ready to start building some AKs (LEGALLY) but my parents are very.... lets say unknowledgeable when it comes to firearms and laws pertaining to them. I cannot even purchase a replacement mag release for my arsenal sgl without my father telling me how it is illegal (the pistol grip has been removed) and they will kick me out if i continue to purchase "assault weapons". In the last couple days I have purchased some cleaning supplies and paints; and by the time I had gotten home I found the shipping packaging cut open with the invoice on top of the box. They are going through my mail attempting to catch me in the act and hugely invading my privacy!!! :mad: I don't want to go against what they said and start buying the tools and parts kits, but I will not be able to move out and get a place of my own for another 3 to 4 years and I fear by then the supply of parts kits will have dried up or have been outlawed. Does anybody here have the same problem or have any advice on the matter?

Mailboxes Etc.

You're welcome.

repubconserv
09-11-2011, 4:18 PM

at first I was like :nuts: but then, I saw what you did there:shifty:

OP, I really want to rebuild a mid-60s era chevelle, but my mom says that

1. I am not turning her garage into a car shop
2. before I sink tens of thousands of dollars into a car, I better not be relying on her for money anymore

It sucks (and I see your situation is much different), but again, her house, her rules. If you can not convince them to "turn from the dark side"... ya got to say, "oh well" and cross your fingers that AK kits will still be around in a few years.

Someone said earlier to buy one and ship it to a friend's house... if you are really this worried, do that, and keep it there under wraps for a few years.

liketoshoot
09-11-2011, 4:43 PM
so you are at least 21 yo, move out or quit complaining.
mommy do your laundry too?

HighLander51
09-11-2011, 6:12 PM
Listen kid, I’ll tell you are true story. Summer of 1968, in a small town outside of Joliet, Ill. I know (or knew at the time all the people involved). Kid, living at home, buys a 1911 from a local gun show (in those days, no rules, no checks, nothing). Kid’s friend comes over one day, and he goes to show him his new 1911. Friend ends up taking a bullet in the head, but no one really knows what happened. Turns out the friend lives, but as a vegetable. Kid is sentenced to 18 years in Stateville for manslaughter. Parents sue, and win, hands down, for all medical, all future medical, loss of income, lawyer fees, court cost, pain, suffering, etc. Quite a large settlement in those days. Years later I bump into friend’s brother at a hotel bar on Catalina Island in 1984. Eventually it comes around to ‘Whatever happened’ Well, parents lost their home, and after years of their wages being garnished, they lost their jobs. Mom became addicted to pain pills, and dad committed suicide and brother is still in prison. What can you say to that?

ls2monaro
09-11-2011, 8:00 PM
If you have money to build AK's, you don't need to be living at home. I did school full time and worked full time. It is difficult but manageable you need to know how to use your time wisely. If you don't like the rules, move out, don't complain about living rent free.

Trigger42
09-11-2011, 8:43 PM
What a terrible story

joefreas
09-11-2011, 9:07 PM
Finish college, get job, get your own place, buy as many guns/parts kits as you want.

bruceflinch
09-11-2011, 9:09 PM
I was in the same situation as you when I was in college, except I didn't have the money for college so I worked to pay for school, never mind buying guns. Here's my advice. Postpone buying gun kits. You worry about buying parts now because you are afraid prices will go up in the future. Instead, concentrate on college and get straight A's. After graduation, you'll get a well paying job and will be able to buy a house before you're 30, buy all the guns you want, and the "expensive" gun parts kits will seem like spare change when you have a 6-figure salary. You can even go so far as to buy a Land Rover and date 20 year old girls you meet at clubs who act like porno stars. Maybe not on the last part.

:rofl:
Let's get this kid through college before giving him the "Neil" talk...;)

I think the OP has figured out to do the right thing. I didn't have his luck. W/ two brothers already in college, I had to join the Navy to get out on my own. Guess it didn't kill me..:D

Good Luck, OP!

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2011, 9:15 PM
Yep, their house, their rules. But, you could always invite them to a knowledgable local gun store and have them educated on the subject. It might change their mind to see AKs being sold at places like Big5 and Turner's.

You could get a storage unit and store your stuff there.

There is no age restriction on owning or manufacturing your own long gun. A five year old could probably make an AK without any hands on help and it would be legally his/hers period.

Trigger42
09-11-2011, 9:28 PM
What a terrible story

Gatotsu77
09-11-2011, 9:47 PM
My mother was vehemently against firearms, and forbode anyone from owning one in her house. (she wouldn't even permit firearms lookalikes; i.e. airsoft guns) I had a friend buy me an airsoft gun when I was 17 (yes, I know that was illegal for them to do... it was a long time ago, its over and done with) and I kept it at home. Ultimately, I got caught (in a BAD way.. if you really want to know, I'll explain further) and my parents found out about it. To say that my mother had a hard time trusting me for a LONG time would be an understatement.

I will admit, I did end up purchasing my 1911 while still living under her roof. I was stressed out about it every single day, but I felt it to be necessary for the protection of my family. I wanted several firearms, but trying to at least somewhat respect my mother's wishes, I opted to stick with just the one until I moved out.

To this day, my mother may not realize that I owned my handgun while living within her house, but I'm fairly certain they've pieced it together from conversations we've had. She is no longer as anti-gun as she used to be, and has even permitted me to bring my firearms into her house twice now. It sucks to hear this, but really, you ought to try and be respectful of their rules while you live under their roof. I now live under my own (well, shared with my gf) roof, and I am fortunate that I've gotten her involved in the hobby. She had been interested for a long while before I met her, but hadn't done much beyond one or two trips to the range with her friend. She loves hitting the range nowadays. (though it is something we can't afford to do often currently) One day, you will have your own place.. and it won't be as far off as it might feel now. Try to have a bit of patience for your parents sake, and it will pay off in the end.

The Virus
09-12-2011, 7:14 AM
Put on your big boy pants..........

Stonewalker
09-12-2011, 8:20 AM
Move out.

spdrcr
09-12-2011, 8:28 AM

+1

Stop spending your money on "toys" and move out if you don't like their rules.

MrExel17
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Hate to say it, but you might want to save up to find your own place!Good Luck!

17+1
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Report them for opening your mail, its illegal and 200-300 dollar fine.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Call the cops on his parents who are kind enough to still be taking care of him? :rolleyes: I can't hear your sarcasm so I don't know if you're serious...

OP, get your own place then it's your rules. I was living with my folks when I bought my first firearm. Mom espeically was scared of the evil looking Glock 17...I now take them shooting even though I don't live there. We meet at the range and burn powder together. Almost have them talked into doing a handgun safety and action shooting course, as they are getting older and want a way to defend themselves. Good times.

thrillhouse700
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Dude, I pay 1600 a month for my place. I have ZERO cash. I have over 3k in hospital bills and a little bit in CC bills. Your life ain't that bad. Right now I am selling off anything I have that is not my guns. I put half towards my debt and half towards a new computer that is badly needed. I have not been to the range in 6 months. Fishing is the only cheap thing I can afford that keeps me from going crazy. The girls call me lame cuz I can't afford to blow 200 at a bar (**** them tho). Stay at home brother. Finish school and get a job. Keep your head up.

Times are tough for everyone and you will look back at this in a few years and laugh. You will also look back in a few years and REALLY realize how much your parents gave you and gave up for you. I never knew how much my parents sacrificed for me, until now. I give back to them whenever I can and they are STILL offering to help me out during these times. I decline their offer every time and told them if I am about to be on the streets I may take you up but until then I can't be a burden on anyone but myself.

erikdjs
09-12-2011, 1:26 PM
Obey or Move.

stix213
09-12-2011, 3:18 PM
You haven't grown up yet if you still live with mommy. If you want the free mommy gravy train still while you put off actual adulthood, then follow little kid rules your mommy lays down. If you want to be treated like an adult, act like one and move out, no excuses. Until you move out you are just their child, and will be treated like one as you rightly should be.

10mm
09-13-2011, 7:18 AM
I would suggest you take up a new hobby until you can afford to live on your own. Start looking at your priorities and asses situation at home before continuing to break your parents rules. I know you value your 2nd ammendment rights but I think honoring your parents is far more important now than anything else if you want to remain in thier good graces. I hope for your sake you can use your good judgement. Stay safe!

10mm
09-13-2011, 7:32 AM

I think this is a really bad idea. I don't think I would appreciate my child efforts to change my authority over something so serious as gun ownership if I don't approve of him owning them. No matter how old they are. If they live in my home I make the rules for reasons I see fit. I would understand and be flexible as possible in other matters but if I had reservations about guns I would not appreciate him going through elaborate scheems to change my decision period. Just wait until you can move out. Your just begining your life and have a long road ahead of you. I'm sure that it would be in your best interest to keep your parents on your side since you will probably need their support in the future. Be wise and choose your actions carefully and strategically.

El Gato
09-13-2011, 7:49 AM
My oldest is 26, youngest is 17
When they respectfully make a sound reasoned argument, and they are right based upon the facts and evidence, I honor them by re-considering my opinion and letting them know. Nat this point my #1 thinks I have joined the ranks of the fallen, gone over to the darkside because I am using an I phone ( I should go android per him). #2 rolls her eyes and says I'm smart to use the I phone
#3 wants to trade me his blackberry for my I phone
No consensus so I'm stickin with apple