PDA

View Full Version : What exact documents are you carrying with your OLLs to the range

sdirielion
01-19-2007, 6:55 PM
I want to know what "exact" documents you guys are carrying to the range with your rifles (AR/AK) about OLLs. I have had my parts to build two stag 15 rifles for a while now and finally completed one tonight. I want to go to Iron Sights in oceanside and shoot. I want to have the right info in case I run into a LEO.

Thanks for the info, I love this site!!!!

xrMike
01-19-2007, 7:10 PM
Well, I bring my Driver's License and that's about it.

I've already had one discussion with a Sheriff's deputy who showed an interest in my rifle, and I didn't have to show him anything. Just told him my understanding of the law, and was friendly about it, and his attitude was: "Well, I don't know all the intricacies of the law, and I don't care about the legalities of your rifle as long as you don't commit any crimes crimes with it." He was pretty cool, and just another avid shooter.

MaceWindu
01-19-2007, 7:21 PM
"Well, I don't know all the intricacies of the law, and I don't care about the legalities of your rifle as long as you don't commit any crimes crimes with it." He was pretty cool, and just another avid shooter.

Now THAT'S, a good cop.

Mace

bwiese
01-19-2007, 7:24 PM
"Well, I don't know all the intricacies of the law, and I don't care about the legalities of your rifle as long as you don't commit any crimes crimes with it."

I think you will see various police agencies having this eventually become a formal policy.

;)

blacklisted
01-19-2007, 7:59 PM
I don't carry anything, because I pretty much have everything memorized. If a cop really wants to bust me, a piece of paper is not going to do anything.

Chaingun
01-19-2007, 8:04 PM
I don't carry anything, because I pretty much have everything memorized. If a cop really wants to bust me, a piece of paper is not going to do anything.

Must agree.

Start pulling out all these docs for a LEO to read whose only itent is to give you a bad time.:eek:

Hope it never happens to us

Franksremote
01-19-2007, 8:07 PM
Well, I bring my Driver's License and that's about it.

I've already had one discussion with a Sheriff's deputy who showed an interest in my rifle, and I didn't have to show him anything. Just told him my understanding of the law, and was friendly about it, and his attitude was: "Well, I don't know all the intricacies of the law, and I don't care about the legalities of your rifle as long as you don't commit any crimes crimes with it." He was pretty cool, and just another avid shooter.

Pretty much the same deal, even with my pre-bans... Most I've run into don't really seem to care as long as I'm being "safe" at the range.

Paul
01-19-2007, 8:12 PM
My driver's license.

Rob454
01-19-2007, 8:44 PM
I carry my guns and my wallet with DL and atm card. ive been pulled over and the most I got was theire not loaded right. one policeman wanted to see what i had and I showed him . he really really liked my over and under shotgun.
other than that I never got hassled
Rob

Wulf
01-19-2007, 8:49 PM

Agreed, but if you did get unlawfully arrested, and you had placed into the arresting officers hands all the info he needed to know that what he was doing was unlawful....I'm just guessing, but I'd think your civil rights lawsuit would be a lot further down the runway.

Fate
01-19-2007, 9:04 PM
I don't carry anything. I know the law. I can quote the law. I am a citizen. I have inalienable rights. I will fight legally or physically to ensure they are not infringed upon. But I can also smile and hold a rational, civilized discussion.

My incident with LEO at the range has been documented here and it went off without a hitch.

Relax. These are not the guns you're looking for.

tman
01-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I think you will see various police agencies having this eventually become a formal policy.

;)
Is this another one of those "Just wait 2 weeks..." things?

grammaton76
01-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I want to know what "exact" documents you guys are carrying to the range with your rifles (AR/AK) about OLLs. I have had my parts to build two stag 15 rifles for a while now and finally completed one tonight. I want to go to Iron Sights in oceanside and shoot. I want to have the right info in case I run into a LEO.

Dude, I've been shooting at Iron Sights with OLL's since Jan '06 (i.e. over a year now). Fixed mags, a drop-mag full-evil-featured 22LR AR, SRBs, and Monsterman grips... AR's, AK's, and a PTR-91... you name it. Don't worry about LEOs there at all, they just smile at my collection and the only papers I've ever given LEOs there, is the AR-15 flier (linked in my signature), in case they want to know where to buy OLL's!

Seriously, though, don't worry about Iron Sights. If you WERE to end up with serious questions that you can't answer, just call in Andrew or Bill (the instructor dude), they're pretty up on things.

hoffmang
01-20-2007, 12:42 AM
tman,

Yeah... Bill's up to something - maybe.

All I care to be able to explain is Harrot, SB-23, and the definition of detachable mags plus explaining that its so weird because of the SKS.

If you can tell that story simply, you've told the cop all he needs to know that you know the law.

-Gene

Ford8N
01-20-2007, 7:59 AM
his attitude was: "Well, I don't know all the intricacies of the law, and I don't care about the legalities of your rifle as long as you don't commit any crimes crimes with it." He was pretty cool, and just another avid shooter.

This is exactly 100% of the attitude I have run into with LEO's. Sometimes even better than what this quote said...;) Let's just say that there are many many LEO's that disagree with the DOJ about enforcing PC 12276 and 12276.1. "Spirit of the Law".;) LEO's have bigger fish to fry than an otherwise law abiding gun owner with a semi-auto rifle that is legal in the rest of Free America. And AB 2728 helps even more.

JWI
01-20-2007, 8:25 AM
I would take a copy of Chinn's December 2006 Declaration filed in opposition to the MSJ in Hunt v. Lockyer.

He says at page 9, lines 19-20, that according to the DOJ, a magazine which requires a screwdriver for removal is not a detachable magazine. I think that is pretty much the end of the debate over whether something like the Prince50 mag lock is legal. The DOJ's own firearms expert (look at the lengthy list of credentials in the first part of the declaration) declared under penalty of perjury that the DOJ does not consider this configuration to violate SB23.

And, this declaration is dated after the whole rulemaking process, purportedly trying to suggest that something like a mag-lock kit does not compy with SB23. Their previous position, it appears espoused only by AM, has now been superceded.

Has anyone had any experience shooting at Angeles Crest range? What is the attitude like there?

JWI
01-20-2007, 8:31 AM
This is the link to the Chinn declaration:

http://www.calgunlaws.com/article-477.html

Fjold
01-20-2007, 10:57 AM
My CA Driver's License because I drive my truck to the range.

DedEye
01-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Driver's license.

Sometimes I keep a pocket copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights in my backpack, but that's only if I want to be a smartass ;).

Fate
01-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Has anyone had any experience shooting at Angeles Crest range? What is the attitude like there?
They don't care what you shoot as far as firearms go. They take issue with steel bullets and rapid fire. Oh and they don't like bayonets extended/in place either.

But I shoot my OLL rifles there without a problem.

Aluisious
01-21-2007, 12:59 AM
I don't carry anything. I know the law. I can quote the law. I am a citizen. I have inalienable rights. I will fight legally or physically to ensure they are not infringed upon. But I can also smile and hold a rational, civilized discussion.

My incident with LEO at the range has been documented here and it went off without a hitch.

Relax. These are not the guns you're looking for.
Good luck with fighting physically there.

Make sure you're one of the funny screamers in the taser vid. :D

Fate
01-21-2007, 8:09 AM
Who said the "physically" part would be as a party of one? Did you ever see the movie, "A Bug's Life"?

Paratus et Vigilans
01-22-2007, 8:12 AM
Dude, I've been shooting at Iron Sights with OLL's since Jan '06 (i.e. over a year now). Fixed mags, a drop-mag full-evil-featured 22LR AR, SRBs, and Monsterman grips... AR's, AK's, and a PTR-91... you name it. Don't worry about LEOs there at all, they just smile at my collection and the only papers I've ever given LEOs there, is the AR-15 flier (linked in my signature), in case they want to know where to buy OLL's!

Seriously, though, don't worry about Iron Sights. If you WERE to end up with serious questions that you can't answer, just call in Andrew or Bill (the instructor dude), they're pretty up on things.

+1 on what Grammaton76 has to say about Iron Sights. I've shot my OLL's there many times, including while uniformed CHP have been there shooting also, and had zero problems. Their official policy at Iron Sights is that they don't care what you bring to shoot as long as its not FA, and that you don't shoot any steel core or Wolf ammo. They will not question your weapons, and will not even ask to see them, but they do ask about rifle caliber because they have an upper limit - not sure what it is but I've shot 6.8mm SPC there and have seen others shooting 7.62mm/.308 so pretty much anything but elephant guns are probably okay.

As Grammaton76 points out, Bill, Andrew and others there are fully versed on what is and isn't legal to bring in. If you have the itch to try a genuine "AW" they have a Bushmaster XM-15 for rent. It goes out every so often, but not all that much. Many of the shooters there are active duty USMC, and they get plenty of AW time at work. :)

As for paperwork, I keep PDF printoffs in each of my rifle cases of the pertinent pages from the CA DOJ's AW manual so that, in the event I run into an LEO with no clue, I can turn to the page with the regs, point to them, point to my rifle, and do a little "show and tell." I expect that, if ever challenged, that would be the end of it. If it were to go further than that, I would politely deal with whatever the LEO felt he/she needed to do, and get it resolved later at a higher level. A MUCH higher level. I don't expect ever to have that problem, but if it goes there I know how to deal with it. I carry the papers not because I have to, but because I choose to do so knowing they would be a useful educational tool, should the need for such a tool ever arise.

So, go shoot your OLL's at Iron Sights with no fear and have fun, since that's mostly what it's about, right?

proraptor
01-22-2007, 9:35 AM
Ive also memorized pretty much everything and if you are cool with the officer most times they will listen to what you have to say and be cool with you...

Not to mention wearing your NRA hat when you shoot it helps also.... :)

CALI-gula
01-22-2007, 4:52 PM
I carry the lyrics to "My Way" and belt it out in my best Sinatra imitation. People usually cover their ears and run for cover, including LEOs, even when wearing hearing protection.

I look that LEO right in the mirrored sunglasses and sing....

And now, the end is here
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this, I built my A.....K......

(hold up DCI NDS-3 AK in the air to show no pistol grip)

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I built my A.....K......

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and I built my A.....K......

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I built my A.....K......"

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and I built my A.....K......!

(During instrumental filler, hold DCI NDS-3 AK up in the air to show no pistol grip)

Yes, it's my A....K.......!!