PDA

View Full Version : Kimber TLE last round FTF?

Aluisious
01-17-2007, 8:28 AM
I have an odd problem with my TLE. About one in ten magazines, the slide locks back on the last round in the magazine, and when I remove the mag the round pops out the top of the ejection port. I never manage to catch a glimpse of what the round looks like before removing the mag, but I suspect it is partially nosed onto the feeding ramp, and thus pulling the mag snags the nose of the round and causes the follower to toss the round out the top.

I thought it might be my grip, perhaps I am nudging the slide stop with my thumb. You'd think if that was the case it wouldn't always be on the last round, though.

I have had this happen with both a Wilson 47 mag and a 47D mag. For example, last time I went to the range, I fired 115 rounds and had one failure with each magazine. I used to have Kimber mags but they were truly awful.

Any ideas on what is happening?

cho034442
01-17-2007, 8:50 AM
This happened to my TLE II a couple of times before hitting the 200 round count. It went away after that. I was using Wilson 47D, CMC Power Mag and Act-Mag (all these have less than 500 round counts).
I would also check the grip position. I have also heard from a member (may or may not be from this forum) suggesting that you can try just loading 2 ~ 3 rounds on each mag and see if you can reproduce the problem. Good Luck.

Kruzr
01-17-2007, 8:53 AM
Number the magazines and see if it's happening only with one. It sounds like the last round is moving forward in the mag when the next to last round strips off. It's too far foward to strip and go under the extractor so it nose dives into the ramp.

The concave hollow in the top of the Wilson follower is supposed to help prevent this. This is the function of the little dimple you see in the top of the followers in the Kimber mags.

If this is the case, you can rough up the follower a little with coarse sandpaper.

Other than that, it could be extractor tension being too loose but it sounds more like magazines to me.

Aluisious
01-17-2007, 9:22 AM
Number the magazines and see if it's happening only with one. It sounds like the last round is moving forward in the mag when the next to last round strips off. It's too far foward to strip and go under the extractor so it nose dives into the ramp.

The concave hollow in the top of the Wilson follower is supposed to help prevent this. This is the function of the little dimple you see in the top of the followers in the Kimber mags.

If this is the case, you can rough up the follower a little with coarse sandpaper.

Other than that, it could be extractor tension being too loose but it sounds more like magazines to me.
I only have two mags, a 47 and 47D. It happens with both mags. The 47 has a different follower, instead of being concave in the rear portion it is convex around the whole follower, shaped much like a round of ammunition. So I have the problem with two types of followers.

The gun has has almost 1k rounds through (I was buying WWB 100 round boxes individually for a bit so I lose track) but the magazines each have less than 500. I did break them in as recommended by Wilson by loading each to full capacity for 2 days.

I'll try the 2-3 round trick and look through the ejection port each time the slide locks back, hopefully I can see exactly what is going on fairly quickly by doing that.

Thx for the tips, the follower shape leading to nose dives makes sense.

Aluisious
01-17-2007, 10:42 AM
After some snooping on the net, some people are blaming the mag springs in the Wilsons for the problem. Apparently FTF and slide lock on the last round of a Wilson and a Kimber is not unheard of.

So complicated...if only Glocks had a decent trigger.

bwiese
01-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Buy some good ol' plain Colt/USGI magazines. Your problems will go away.

Aluisious
01-21-2007, 9:11 PM
Range report: Fired 190 rounds today, almost half with 3 shots in the mag at a time. Neither the 47 or 47D malf'd today. I did clean up the feed ramp with CLP and a toothbrush before going today, so probably the last round was just having too much get in it's way.

ghost
01-21-2007, 9:17 PM
where can i get mags for a kimber ten 2?any bay area shops?

m2hbvic
01-22-2007, 1:02 AM
Go to the www.1911forum.com website, click on "Forums" on the left, and then scroll down to the "Kimber" forum and click onto that. Click onto the first sticky titled something like "Kimber Problems And Fixes" and read about all the problems/fixes that Kimber owners have had.

You might have the problem where the nose of the bullet is touching/rubbing against the slide stop on the inside of the frame/magwell. I had this problem on my Kimber because I could see where the copper off of the bullets had rubbed off and onto the slide stop. A little careful grinding/polishing with a Dremel fixes this problem. Same goes for the feed ramp on the barrel and frame areas. Good luck.
Vic

M1A Rifleman
01-22-2007, 11:13 AM
My TLE II was sent back to Kimber 3-times under warranty for this issue. Newer Kimbers seem to have this problem and it is related to the slide lock. Having excessive oil/dirt in the gun tends to cause the problem more often. In my case, I was having the problem after firing about 75 rnds of my reloads - however, my reload ammo functions flawless in a Colt - so it was not the ammo. I have found that running the gun near dry makes a big difference.

Aluisious
01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
My TLE II was sent back to Kimber 3-times under warranty for this issue. Newer Kimbers seem to have this problem and it is related to the slide lock. Having excessive oil/dirt in the gun tends to cause the problem more often. In my case, I was having the problem after firing about 75 rnds of my reloads - however, my reload ammo functions flawless in a Colt - so it was not the ammo. I have found that running the gun near dry makes a big difference.
Better or worse?

M1A Rifleman
01-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Better or worse?

Better. As the Kimbers have tighter tolerance, mine as been rather cranky with respect to ammo and in being clean as compared to a Colt I had.

Aluisious
01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Better. As the Kimbers have tighter tolerance, mine as been rather cranky with respect to ammo and in being clean as compared to a Colt I had.
Good to know. I've been shooting mine fairly "wet" in recent months, but maybe giving it a wipe down before hitting the range will clear things up.

I didn't really try to dry it off before my last shoot, but for whatever reason, it was doing well.

M1A Rifleman
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Good to know. I've been shooting mine fairly "wet" in recent months, but maybe giving it a wipe down before hitting the range will clear things up.

I didn't really try to dry it off before my last shoot, but for whatever reason, it was doing well.

Good luck. The Kimber repair suppervisor gave me a verbal lashing with regards to the amount of oil he found.

Aluisious
01-29-2007, 8:21 AM
Another 150 rounds of Wolf through, no hiccups with either mag.

Taking a toothbrush to the breech and feed ramp with some CLP will be SOP from now on. I guess my polymer pistols had made me lazy in that respect :p

Franksremote
01-29-2007, 8:29 AM
Buy some good ol' plain Colt/USGI magazines. Your problems will go away.

+1 or Mecgar 8 round extendeds with the plastic floor plates. I've never had a problem with over a dozen of those that I own with my Kimbers.

Where are you at? I've got a crapload of 1911 mags that I use, from colt's to pachmayrs, and would gladly let you try as many as you'd like to see if it's a mag problem. PM me